Session 0: Character Creation

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 0: Character Creation

#41 Post by Ludanto »

Complaining about complaining (Ob5). Meta-complaining!
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I forgot about the Complaining factor with Peasant. Sounds fun, if I can get it to work. And the adventure already started, so I'll keep Peasant 2.

Belief: Dwarfs are wealthy and greedy; they can and should part with their gold.
Can this be challenged? Is it too linked to his Goal?

Goal: I will take what I can of value from this dwarf hold.

Instinct: When meeting a new person/creature, I will bend them to my will so they will assist me.
Is there a better way to word this to trigger a Manipulator test?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by Ludanto »

That's probably fine. You can always change them between sessions.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

True. But a well written belief is more readily challenged, which allows for picking up Fate/Persona, the spending of which is vital to character advancement. I'd hate to "waste" a session, as it were.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Revised BIGs. And final, unless someone has some ideas for improving them or points out a glaring fault.

Belief: Wealth is comfort. I will get the former to have the latter.

Goal: I will take what I can of value from this dwarf hold.

Instinct: When meeting a new person/creature, I will convince them to assist me.

Can a thief start with armor? The write up states they start with a dagger so I am guessing not.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Ludanto »

It seems that the character creation for Thieves explicitly states that they do not start with armor.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Marullus »

Rusty:
You either need to add Trevor the Thief as Mentor, or lower your Circles to 3.

Equipment:
Thag's lantern is pack x2, Carry x1. I suggest that Berry begin carrying the lantern, lighting it when needed as designated light-bearer, and we use the extra slots for oil and food.

Thag is a major fighter - I think we need him to have a satchel and not a backpack so he doesn't take -1D to Fighter skill. If he switched to a satchel, moved the rope to his freed up shoulder, and Berry carries the lantern, then that takes care of most of Thag's gear anyway. He has one slot of oil and two slots for other supplies to be added.

Thag and Aiofe each have rope.
Thag has the tinderbox.
Rabon has the grappling hook.
Aiofe and Berry both have spikes and hammers.

Is Aoife willing to switch Torches for Oil, or does she want backup torches?

Is Berry willing to swap his tinderbox for Oil? And carry the lantern in his hand?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:I'll come up with a friend by Saturday, but probably not Friday as that's my game group's Tunnels &bTrolls night.
Ok, I've updated my character to add a friend, and dropped my enemy.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:
Ugh. You've probably discovered that there's a 6 die limit. Dumb.
I did not know that, where is it given?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Marullus »

Bill -
As there is some question about the "seek potable water" thing, I thought I would suggest an instinct used by a character to good effect in a previous game. The simple instinct "Always scout ahead" puts you implicitly out front. Any time the group would face a trap or ambush, you get a free scout test to detect it first, rather than running the Grind counter down. It was sensible and came up more often. :) The down side is that you would need to always make the test without Help.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

If you're concerned about the water thing, I strongly suggest considering changing your instinct. "Always make camp safe" would be very valuable and more clearly of use. It is a different Survivalist test, has a clear trigger (making camp) and will likely save our lives from disaster.
Porting that over and putting the two suggestions together. :)

Also for Bill - adjusting to "Trap-Wise" instead of "Trap-Detecting-wise"would make it apply to his own snares, now that he's talking about setting them to secure our own camps/sites.

For Rusty - Rabon still needs Belief, Goal, and Instinct.

Does anyone else have changes to sheets before the GM locks us down?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks for the prod, Marullus. I thought I'd done that... I had also forgotten my wise.

I will use the belief and goal I listed above. For an instinct, I really don't like the one I came up with, partially because I used something like it in the past with 2 characters (and it worked okay), but mostly because it isn't Rabon. He's a sneaky scouting thief. I want him to have check for traps but held off because Bill said he thought Thag would be out front. But I cannot think of anything more fitting for Rabon, so I'm using, "Always check for traps when entering a new area." Hope it doesn't step on anyone else's toes.
It would have come in handy with the door and the room, though he'll be doing it all alone.

For a wise I am choosing "Appraisal-wise." Inspired by a character in a now defunct game. Rabon is looking to gain a measure of comfort. As such, he has a general noticed regarding the value of items or information. Ludanto, please let me know if that is too broad.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I've changed my Wise to Trap-Wise, and Instinct to "Always scout ahead" if the GM will allow it. If Galen wants to shared the risk of Scouting ahead I could use his help on that free test, right?

Also, my son is nearly done with a Galen, Thag, and Allric group pic. He needs to add spectacles and a pointy hat to Allric and then ink the pencils. He will probably start a Aoife, Berry and Rabon group pic tomorrow.

He drew the elf with what looks sort of like LotR movie elf armour.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Marullus »

Can't wait for the pics. :)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#55 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Ok so this is my first time at a real computer since roughly friday, so I just saw the posts about my inventory. I will be more than willing to hold the lantern and trade off the tinderbox. Is my cloak going somewhere then or am I leaving it at this campsite?

my hammer and spikes I will also happily trade off, and since none of my inventory has been used yet, I assume its still a little fluid. If there is anything else we feel like I need to add/change, let me know.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Marullus »

If you keep an empty slot, you can carry the newly-manufactured "Vapor of Bravery" - an elixir that eliminates the Afraid condition. :)

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#57 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I am down for that. It even works into Berry's personality, with the wise magician thinking little old him is important enough to carry something like that for him. Let me go mess with my sheet real quick. So for clarification I am holding a lantern, my hammer and spikes poof out of my inventory, I put my cloak in the pack atm, and the elixir. Did we want to also have me hold oil or is someone else on that task?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Marullus »

Allric, Rabon, and Galen all have cloaks - I would suggest that Berry doesn't need one. (especially since it is Pack x2, vs Torso 1)

I think we were counting on him keeping his hammer and spikes - if the spikes need to go to make room, he can probably use them up as we repair the stairs in our next move.

We have oil scattered amongst folks. Oil and Food are never amiss.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Probably a good idea to have the oil and food distributed, just in case someone loses their gear.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Well the hammer and spikes, doesn't our dwarf have spikes for now, that should last us at least one adventure. I can leave the cloak and just keep the hammer and spikes, just give me the word oh inventory management gurus XD

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”