Session 2!

Prologue, go!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#2 Post by Marullus »

Prologue

Six brave souls emerged from the forest, the Dwarven monestary rising before them. The statues flanking the doorway were clearly those of kings - an link to Dwarven nobility unexpected. The party entered the courtyard and ventured to the tower's door, thinking to secure their rear before entering within.

The door was swollen, stuck in it's frame, but yielded as they shouldered it open. Allric the Wizard's motes of light swirled within, revealing the presence of a massive spider. The party overwhelmed the beast with the force of Thag and Aiofe and the will of Allric at the forefront. The beast quailed before them, fleeing into the forest beyond.

The party rested after the battle, repairing gear, making elixirs and scrolls, and working at a map though the effort was stymied by the coming of night. The group established the site as their base for further exploration, rigging traps, fixing the door, and building a stair to allow them to clear the upstairs as well. This prepared, they ventured to the main building in search of the mushrooms desired by the herbalist of Falko.

They spied wolves in the grasses and a Kobold lurking in the northern doorway, the group sprinted forward, Thag leading the charge to corner the small creature before it can escape and reach the door before the wolves. The group slammed the door before the wolves reached them, the Kobold pinned ahead. Aiofe leaped forward, capturing the creature struggling in a sack, but the party realized the new room was partially collapsed and not safe from the wolves.

They headed down the hallway before the wolves could again over take them, choosing the second door on the right where a bloody paw print marked the wood. Within, they found a massive iron desk, the mushrooms they desired, and a massive wolf crouching in the darkness.

Galen ensorcelled the sack to hold the Kobold while the group prepared to fight the wolf, but the Kobold burst free and was caught by the wolf instead. The wolf spoke, revealing an uncanny intelligence. The group waffled in it's desire to kill what may not indeed be evil; instead Allric stepped forward and with their menacing threat to support him, demanded the wolf's subservience. The wolf acknowledged it was dominated and answered their questions about the manor house and sent away it's lesser pack mates.

After the threat of the wolf departed, the party picked the mushrooms and inspected the desk, finding a pouch of gems, a book, and a fine hand axe, their properties yet to be explored.

Adventure still likes before them: an unknown chamber next door. A den of Kobolds down the stair and I the underlair of this place. An evil made of darkness which the wolf fears that lies beyond the double doors in the south hallway.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Turn 1 ( 9 turns until session end, 3 turns until Grind)

Allric looks quite put-out by his fall, rubbing his hip and grousing as he regains his footing. He asks Aiofe to inspect the hand-axe and Rabon the pouch as he picks up and looks at the clasped book himself. He hands the small sack to That to ensure all ten mushrooms are collected... Eight for the bounty and two for his own experiments.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by Ludanto »

Turning it over in his hands, Allric can see that the leather-bound book is held fast by a silver clasp, but not locked. It bears no markings on its cover, but the rich, black leather is well worn, shiny smooth in places, as though the book were referenced often.

When Rabon opens the small, embroidered sack, his eyes are greeted by the sparkle of gems, green and blue and red.

Right away, Aoife can tell that this hand-axe is of proper Dwarven quality. The scroll-work is intricate and precise and the weight is perfectly balanced. Engraved at the back of the axe-head is the Dwarven word that translates, roughly, as "Skyfall".

The book is Pack 1.

Allric is no longer Hungry & Thirsty. That's unfortunate.

What now?

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Berry finally pulls himself out of his stupor, looking around and feeling the first pangs of hunger that signalled that the true adventure had only just begun.

Did we really just negotiate with a talking wolf? Berry wonders aloud, I guess you really can talk your way out of most scrapes, Came really did know something about that...Well what do you have there Mr. Allric? Could it be a religious time of some kind?
So that was me rping my instinct changing from helping the suffering to "I always try to talk my way out of trouble" if that sounds ok.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by jhrrsn »

Skyfall..., Aoife whispers, tracing the intricate patterns with her finger. Her grip tightens on the axe a little as she realises it's provenance.
I like Berry's new instinct, though it maybe isn't written as naïvely as I'd expect from the character!

Are we planning on camping soon or should we eat a ration?
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Allric's skeptical eye looks over the book for traps or threats. If he finds none, he opens the class and the exhausted old wizard looks it over with the eager Berry to see what they make of it.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by Ludanto »

Annoyingly, though not unreasonably, the text is rendered in the Dwarven tongue. Waving it in front of Aoife, she can tell Allric that there are some prayers penned in the book, but she can't really tell more without settling down to read it for a while.

Sorry. :(

What now?

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#10 Post by jhrrsn »

I'll try and get a check to use for Scholar next time we camp. :) Also, my mind immediately went to Bond too...
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon holds each gem in front of the lantern light, inspecting them. This is more like it, folks! Better than them mushrooms.He tries to see if they will fin in his belt pouch, which already contains 2D coins. His eyes turn to the axe. If no one else can use that thing, I'd give it a go. In scrap, it'd be better than this old knife.

Can he keep the 3D gems with the 2D coins?
If someone else prefers the axe, Rabon would take a sword or other weapon. But he needs his hands free for the 10' pole.
Character sheet updated for Fate/Persona earned and for Conditions.

I was thinking of relieving hungry/thirsty with my wine flask, then realized it adds +1D against the Angry condition. Can it do both at the same time?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#12 Post by Ludanto »

The gems are pack 1, so they won't fit in a belt pouch with a sack of gold.

And yes, you can use the wine for both, but you'll have to save the wine for camp to do it. I mean, the book says "OR", but I'd allow both.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon grows angry again, and reluctantly looks around the group with the gems in hand. I can't fit these. Anyone have room, or should I get a sack out?

I'll wait for camp before using the wine then.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Rabon grows angry again, and reluctantly looks around the group with the gems in hand. I can't fit these. Anyone have room, or should I get a sack out?
Galen has a free hand and 2 small sacks, getting a sack out: Here, I can carry those gems in this sack.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Allric asks Thag if he can put the new objects in his backpack for the time being, as he has the extra room, or in Galen's sack. He hands the small sack of mushrooms off to Berry to carry with the lantern until they can camp.

"Let us take a look in the chamber next door on our way back to the courtyard," says the tired looking wizard, "then we'll take some time in the tower to reassess."

We have three turns to the grind, right? So we can risk up to two tests. Figure that is safe enough to peak in the other room and clear it. If possible earn another Check.

How many Checks do we have? Allric has 1.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#16 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I have room to carry stuff. If we're going back to the tower I will want to see if I can get my walkin' stick back. I agree with checking at least one more chamber - we have the stairs down to the wolve's lair, the double doors in the corridor to the south, and two single doors on the corridor to the east.

I fear that the spider may come back during camp, or soon afterwards, but I'm willing to battle it if needed.

I believe I have 1 check as well.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Recognizing his hunger is doing nothing for his mood, Rabon eats one ration to quiet his rumbling stomach. He ignores any stares from the others, enjoying the taste of stale bread and the odor of cheese that smells like smelly feet. He years for a hot meal at a tavern.

As the party begins to leave, Rabon decides to take one last look through the desk and other debris, looking for items of value.

Hungry removed. Invoking my new instinct.
Sorry to take a ration, but I am hopeful that, should I fail this test, that I might merely incur hungry again...

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by Ludanto »

Rabon digs around in the desk for a minute, but it seems that Allric found all of the good stuff.

Are you guys leaving?

What now?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by ffilz »

Galen would like to check the double doors
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by shroomofinsanity »

umm...i can't really hold the shrooms and lantern and that shield I picked up, I would have to make some room first. Though my lantern might be dark now or very soon. And I tried to spruce my instinct up to thisalways be friendly and talk to people before fighting breaks out

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”