OOC Discussion (Session 1 & 2)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#241 Post by Ludanto »

Alas, by that time, he was Hungry & Thirsty, too, and you have to recover in the correct order. Maybe he should have eaten a ration. That would have been optimal, but it's hard to coordinate in the forums sometimes.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Marullus »

(He was Hungry and Thirsty first, actually)

Yep. An unfortunate and costly oversight. I should have said he ate before Ludanto locked the thread. I totally forgot about that rule and didn't think of it... We did the prologue expecting Exhausted to be lifted but instead he recovered from Hungry.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Marullus »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:Couldn't you spend a Fare point to reroll all the 6's?
Yes, except he already won.

He wanted to record a spent Fate to get closer to level 2, but couldn't justify doing so when it was already a success. :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#244 Post by Ludanto »

After some meditation on the nature of Dwarven weapons, I've decided this:

Their abilities are a meta-game conceit, so the players can just know what they do.

As such:
Skyfall the Dwarven hand-axe will, one time only, ground a flying enemy when thrown at it.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#245 Post by jhrrsn »

Haha, that's awesome (and funny).
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#246 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for answering that. :) Is it just player knowledge or is there an ability to get character knowledge? (I couldn't puzzle out a wizardly Detect Magic function.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I am fine with Rabon staying angry, by the way. So we can research the tome.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#248 Post by Ludanto »

Marullus wrote:Thanks for answering that. :) Is it just player knowledge or is there an ability to get character knowledge? (I couldn't puzzle out a wizardly Detect Magic function.)
The spell "Supernal Vision" is your "detect magic" spell.

However, Dwarven weapons aren't exactly "magical". At least not in the way Magicians understand it. Besides, the effect isn't a "spell" or a "power" or anything in the fiction. It is totally a meta-game effect.

I suppose the closest thing to "character knowledge" that you could get would be a pretty challenging Scholar test to find a historical account that it "felled a flying beast", or was "made by a dwarf that hated birds" or something.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#249 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Aoife settles in and begins to work her way through the pages. It's interesting stuff, and perhaps a little disturbing. It's a prayer book dedicated to Dorrask. It's not a name that she's familiar with, but from context, he seems to be a Lord of Toil and Suffering.

An inscription in the back reads, "Tarog is no longer worthy of our devotions. Only Dorrask can deliver us from the failings of King Garbold."

This isn't something that one finds often. It might be worth a few coins to a collector of historical documents.

To be clear, no test was needed. Value: 1-2D (to a collector). Pack 1
So if they were able to read the book without a Test/Check, we still have one left, or did I lose track?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#250 Post by Ludanto »

Still one left, yes.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#251 Post by ffilz »

I just want to let folks know I've got a nasty cold. I will do my best to keep up, but response from me might be slower (or really confused).

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#252 Post by Ludanto »

Nothing like cold medicine to release one's creativity!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#253 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

As for spending the next adventure phase fortifying our base, I'm ok with that. We would have 3, or up to 7 tests if we're willing to go hungry. I was thinking that maybe Galen and I could go hunting and/or scavenging for game and edible plants. I was also thinking of trying to enlist a wolf to join us as a bonus to the hunt, dogs give +1D, so wolves should too.

So I would be willing to converse with Greygrim (I only have Haggle though, and this sounds more like Persuade), offer him half of what we find if he lets us befriend a junior pack member (one that would accept Galen and I as senior pack members to himself/herself) to go get a deer using Hunting, this could get us up to 6 fresh food (and then give 3 to Greygrim). Then use Scavenger to get up to 4 more fresh foods - berries, nuts, etc, give 1 or 2 to Greygrim if they want nuts and berries.

That would give those who stayed back in the tower 3 or 4 tests to improve it, and Galen and I could return with up to 5 fresh food, and possibly a wolf ally.

Thoughts?
Last edited by BillTheGalacticHero on Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#254 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I would be more than happy to help or lead a persuasion, since I am trained in it. Maybe your experience hunting can assist my attempt to chat up our furry "allies."

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#255 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I'll be off-line most of tomorrow, and probably off and on for the next few days, I'm flying west to my niece's wedding. I should have internet access after I get to my sister's place.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:I've also seen some procedures adopted in the past:
- Help is assumed because we're working together as best we can. The person making the test suggests the help he's getting from others based on their sheets so he can move forward with rolling (unless we have narrative that specifies otherwise). Everyone posts IC action as narrative based on that. [Announcing the challenge, deciding who's doing the test, then waiting for everyone to post help, then doing the test, then adjudicating it takes twice as long.]
Ludanto wrote:Any help has to be legitimate and narrated.
Just making sure that we're being clear in our operating rules, since this is a change.

Do you want each helping die narrated by the person helping, before the roll, or included in the narrative of the die-roller when they act?

Either is fine, of course, but if we take the unabridged route, each round will take 2x to 3x longer. (We've been going fast so far, so that might be good.)

Turn acting would now be like this, right?
- Player states the action.
- GM states the test and Obstacle.
- Player states his initial dice and method.
- All other players post to state their Help.
- Player rolls the dice.
- GM adjudicates the result.

If it is on the acting player (as we've been doing) it would remain like this:
- Player states the action.
- GM states the test and Obstacle.
- Player states his initial dice and method; Player looks at sheets and assumes Help including in his narrative; Player rolls the dice.
- GM adjudicates the result.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#257 Post by Ludanto »

No change. Help can be assumed, but it has to make sense and actually be helpful, and should be described by whoever (usually the tester). This was just a reminder.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Rabon takes the spikes as instructed by Aoife. And having been raised by peasants, he shows the dwarf what real griping os all about, Doors like this are real heavy, so let's get it done quick. I remember this time I helped a carpenter with a door like this. Only putting it up, mind you. Had to hold the darned thing still for nearly 30 minutes while he took his sweet old time hangin' it. My arms ached for days afterward, and all I earned was a few coppers. Barely enough to buy some salt and an onion to season the soup that evenin'. Turnip and cabbage stew, I believe it was. Can't say near 'nough how much I hate turnips. We only ever grew 'em 'cause nothing else'd eat 'em. That and garlic. He prattles on for as long as the job takes.

+1D help.
I still earned a check last roll, right? I might use it to earn a test on peasant, depending on if Aoife earns a check on this roll.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is friggin' awesome.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#259 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ludanto wrote:In the interest of sanity, Thag's scavenging of debris to make a survivalist lever is a Good Idea™ (instead of two turns)

So, Peasant Ob2, +1D (spikes), +1D (Rabon help), +1D (lever-tastic supplies)
To clarify, I was explaining how I would use Survivalist o jury-rig tools, I didn't realize it would be a separate test.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#260 Post by Ludanto »

That's the thing. Anything you do might call for a test. Or it might not. You never know for certain until you describe what it is that you do.

It all probably works more smoothly face-to-face.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”