OOC Discussion (Session 1 & 2)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#281 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I'm ok with heading back to the tower.

If my calculations are correct, I believe I am one successful test away from Scout-4

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#282 Post by Ludanto »

Looks like the session will end after Camp is over.

Also, the last two Tests failed anyway, but take note that the light is still way too bright. +1 Ob.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Looks like the session will end after Camp is over.
Oh, wow! You're counting ALL tests and not just turns? Not that I'll complain about getting more Fate/Persona, but that's making things pretty quick.
Ludanto wrote:Also, the last two Tests failed anyway, but take note that the light is still way too bright. +1 Ob.
Thanks, I misunderstood that. I just went back and re-read it and understand now.
Question, though: the light is following us? I assumed it impacted the room, since it didn't come into the second chamber.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#284 Post by ffilz »

If it's not too disruptive, I'm going to withdraw at the end of this "session". I'm not sure if it's a case of Torchbearer just isn't the right game for me, or just that it's a darned hard game to learn in play by post. In any case, I feel almost completely disengaged. Maybe a different character would work better, I dunno. I also think that 6 players is too many (the original FAQ did say 2-4 players, with 5 possible but not ideal).

Thanks for giving me the chance to try Torchbearer out.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#285 Post by Ludanto »

Marullus wrote: Oh, wow! You're counting ALL tests and not just turns? Not that I'll complain about getting more Fate/Persona, but that's making things pretty quick.
Oh! No! I thought that felt like it was too fast. No, no. We're only about halfway through the session. My mistake. :(
Marullus wrote:Question, though: the light is following us? I assumed it impacted the room, since it didn't come into the second chamber.
Sorry, the light is more or less following you, and anybody nearby. I didn't specifically mention the lights following into the second room (which would have been Dark without them) because there weren't any dice rolls involved.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#286 Post by Ludanto »

ffilz wrote:If it's not too disruptive, I'm going to withdraw at the end of this "session". I'm not sure if it's a case of Torchbearer just isn't the right game for me, or just that it's a darned hard game to learn in play by post. In any case, I feel almost completely disengaged. Maybe a different character would work better, I dunno. I also think that 6 players is too many (the original FAQ did say 2-4 players, with 5 possible but not ideal).

No, that you for giving me a chance to try Torchbearer out.

I'm sorry the game isn't working out for you. There does seem to be a bit of a learning curve. Also, if you don't like old-school resource-management dungeon-crawling, then this probably isn't the best game for you. Or it might just be the forum format. I know that personally, I'm always the GM when I play RPGs because I'm an awful player. I just can't get/stay engaged. So no hard feelings, certainly.

You now get to go down in history as the angry elf! :)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#287 Post by ffilz »

Ludanto wrote:
ffilz wrote:If it's not too disruptive, I'm going to withdraw at the end of this "session". I'm not sure if it's a case of Torchbearer just isn't the right game for me, or just that it's a darned hard game to learn in play by post. In any case, I feel almost completely disengaged. Maybe a different character would work better, I dunno. I also think that 6 players is too many (the original FAQ did say 2-4 players, with 5 possible but not ideal).

No, that you for giving me a chance to try Torchbearer out.

I'm sorry the game isn't working out for you. There does seem to be a bit of a learning curve. Also, if you don't like old-school resource-management dungeon-crawling, then this probably isn't the best game for you. Or it might just be the forum format. I know that personally, I'm always the GM when I play RPGs because I'm an awful player. I just can't get/stay engaged. So no hard feelings, certainly.

You now get to go down in history as the angry elf! :)
Heh! I do like OD&D, but Torchbearer so far seems actually more painfully slow than OD&D, but that may be partly how it interacts with play by post. I'm curious how I would feel if I was one of four players instead of one of six.

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Let's have Berry do the cartography test. He has a Will 5 and he can get help from allric and galen. And his nature is 3, so he can learn the skill faster than the rest of us.

Where is shroom?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Marullus »

Great idea!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just sent shroom a PM.

Also, I like how folks are starting to understand the rules better (me included) and using the rolls and rules to drive the narrative. Fun stuff. With such a crunchy game, it could be easy to just worry about the rolls and skip the narrative. It helps to have Ludanto to remind us that extra dice need to be justified.

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#291 Post by shroomofinsanity »

Hey guys sorry for being absent. Weekends remain somewhat rough to post on. I will be back on in a short while, and will catch up on the weekend and throw up that cartographer test.
Also on mobile atm sorry about the formatting :-/

Edit: who all is helping on this test before I roll It? This is Berry's first roll and he can use all the help he can get XD

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Marullus »

shroomofinsanity wrote:Edit: who all is helping on this test before I roll It? This is Berry's first roll and he can use all the help he can get XD
Allowed help is from Cartographer, Scholar, and Pathfinder. So, the only one with nothing to offer is Rabon. :)

You need to decide what help your accepting and describe it appropriately.
Allric and Galen both have Cartographer and so are teaching/aiding directly.
Aiofe has Scholar.
That has Pathfinder.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#293 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I will help by describing the locations we've been to, and how they are reached from other locations, and significant landmarks. (Using Pathfinder)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:Allowed help is from Cartographer, Scholar, and Pathfinder. So, the only one with nothing to offer is Rabon.
Wait! Rabon is happy to watch your valuables while you are working! :) That's helpful.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#295 Post by Ludanto »

You can tap your Nature for a Health test at the cost of a Persona point.

However, this is outside of Human Nature, so it will tax your Nature by 1 point (or more if you fail).

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Then I'd better not fail. So I'll use the pole, a torch, my helmet and a cloak for helping resource dice. :P
j/k, of course.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#297 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Does Allric's failure/compromise to create the disk count as a test, or is it an instant?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Marullus »

Spells are always an instant.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#299 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

So we're going to Scout the cloak room? Then we'll only have one test left before the Grind. Should we check the secret door on an empty stomach? Or go back to the tower, use the last test to try to kobold-proof it, then go for the secret door in the next session?

Edit:
I'm guessing that Rabon Scouting the cloak room is his Instinct, so no time advancement, right? Would my "Always scout ahead" Instinct allow me to help? They are both Scouting-related, and I'm willing to help, unless Rabon is doing it to earn a Check and a Fail result.

If we do have two tests after this I think we should check the secret door. We'll get four tests in there (my instinct to Scout ahead, then up to two tests, then Rabon's instinct to search before we leave).
Last edited by BillTheGalacticHero on Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Marullus »

I think we either suck it up and all eat the rations before we scout the secret door, or we go and camp now and check that chamber after. That way if we end up making a second test we are only getting hungry from the Grind. (I don't want us to risk a worse condition - getting rid of them is a LOT of checks!)

We have two checks right now - one from Aiofe and the door and one from Rabon searching the library.

Thag, Aiofe, and Allric are still Hungry.
Berry and Allric are Exhausted.

I'd like to have Allric look at the book before we go to the chapel, whether that's adventure phase or camp phase (Ludanto - can it be adventure phase?) If so, we can go to the tower, look at the book, and then camp. Check the secret room after. If not, then I think we go to the secret room hoping for at least one more Check earned.
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”