OOC Discussion (Session 1 & 2)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#321 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

No, but I've decided to go hunting. Galen said he would help, but I thought he had dropped out? I can't tap Nature, but I will use my Early Riser Trait, the once per session.

Going for 1 portion of fresh game in the woods, say a rabbit, using Hunter 2D, +1D Early Riser, +1D from Galen's Survivalist - searching a game trails, then -1D for using Rough Hands against me to earn a Check. I assume you can use one trait to help and another to hinder. Is Galen still with us to help? Does he have any Elf Magicks that could be useful?

So 2D +1D +1D -1D vs Obs 2 --> 3D at Obs 2

I'm Hungry, but that would only affect me if I have to fight something.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#322 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:I think next session I'd like to suggest a hard separation of IC and OOC posts. I think that might be helpful.

In the meantime, you guys aren't waiting for me, are you? Do you need something?
I fear that might make it more confusing. Tracking back and forth between asynchronous threads is already a concern with stuff getting lost. We can go with what you decide, though.

I asked permission to act in the adventure phase and waited over two days before assuming we could to move the action (which then caused you consternation).

My action with the parchment was lost and skipped. My action with the spell was then lost and skipped.

We are still waiting on the answer to this question from last week, which is now relevant:
What is IC happening to Galen the elf? (I did think that needing to fight the spider with a twist was opportune, actually. :) He could go down in a blaze of glory in a Kill conflict!)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Marullus »

I assume you can use one trait to help and another to hinder.
I think it says that's not okay. You might have to pick one.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#324 Post by Ludanto »

Galen is with us until the end of the session. Maybe he'll change his mind, but for now he's still available.

Ah. OK. I had to look it up, but you can use one Trait per test, for or against, and only one Trait. So you can't use one for yourself and one against.

Traits have to make sense. As it's the middle of the day, I don't see the application of Early Riser. Maybe if you camped until early the next morning that would be helpful, but I can't see it here.

But Grim-Visaged could work, as you ignore Galen's chatter, grimly and stoically focused on the hunt, listening and waiting for sounds of prey, patiently waiting for your target to get just a little bit closer. Like that.

No bright light penalty, though. You're too far away from Allric.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#325 Post by Ludanto »

Marullus wrote: I fear that might make it more confusing. Tracking back and forth between asynchronous threads is already a concern with stuff getting lost. We can go with what you decide, though.
That is a bit of a risk, but I feel we're tripping over our own feet.

My idea is this:

Table chatter and cooperation are important, so we need OOC, obviously. You can plan and organize there (here).

But the game is only going to react to things that happen in the IC thread. If your character doesn't do things quietly, you can't use Quiet. If so-and-so doesn't do something helpful, you can't use Help. If you don't set up camp, you can't Camp. If you don't get out a needle and thread and start patching a hole, you can't test Peasant. I'm actually hoping this will make things easier to follow. (But I might be wrong).

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#326 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

OK, one trait to help then. I think we need some fresh food more than we need a check.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#327 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Well, I await our esteemed GM's ruling. I hoping he will give us a grouse and some eggs, or a rabbit. Less meat on a grouse, so the eggs with it should make a whole meal.

Off topic, when I was in high school I went small-game hunting with a friend and his father. I was walking down a trail in the woods when a grouse flew up from the bushes on the side of the trail, not more than 5' from me. It flew straight down the trail for a few dozen yards before turning off into the trees. I was so startled I just stood there holding my shotgun.

I've updated my character sheet to record a Hunter failure.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#328 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I was reading up on Fate points, could I spent a Fate point to reroll a failure? It says it has to be related to a Wise. My Wise is Traps-wise, it might be stretching but could the hunting plan I came up with be considered a trap?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sneaking a quick peak at the forum again. :)

Seems traps-wise would be more appropriate if the narrative included a trap. Maybe rewire what you're doing, include making a trap, and then do the reroll. And remember that for the next time. ;)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#330 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Not much of a fan of rewriting, so I'll leave it as is.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Marullus »

Perhaps it is allowable as he stumbled into the Spider's trap?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#332 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Attercop!

If we're lucky it's the injured one from the tower.

What's Galen's current Status? If he's not Hungry, then I'll take a swig of wine for "fortitude" so we don't lose a die of Disposition.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#333 Post by Ludanto »

So, you're just standing there (drinking wine) and waiting for it to come find you?

(Galen's sheet says he's not hungry.)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#334 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I'm willing to try to fight it, or chase it away. What's Galen's thoughts?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

You can only drink/eat when there is nothing going on. I would say this doesn't for that description.

So this is Galen and That alone? The rest of us are at the tower? Good luck!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#336 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:You can only drink/eat when there is nothing going on. I would say this doesn't for that description.
Page 77 says: You can eat your rations or drink from your skin and instantly recover from the condition without a test or a turn passing.

I also just remembered that I used the tools to hone my sword, so I'll have +1D if this goes to a combat.

If I survive, I'm going to petition that this counts as working towards both my Belief and Goal
BELIEF: - I am the last defense of mankind against the minions of Darkness.
GOAL: - I will destroy the evil tainting this place.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#337 Post by Ludanto »

The noises you heard are between you and the camp. How are you going to get past it?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#338 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Which side direction (i.e. left or right) is less wooded?/ I want fewer trees to have something drop out of.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#339 Post by Ludanto »

North is less wooded, but that's also where you've heard wolf howls from lately.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#340 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

How long ago and can I tell how far away the howls were?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”