OOC Discussion (Session 1 & 2)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC Discussion

#41 Post by ffilz »

I've posted a character sheet, I still don't have a belief or goal, could use some help. Also, before I read any of the session stuff (will have to try and catch up tomorrow), if anyone has any critique on Galen the Elf Ranger Cartographer's sheet, let me know.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed getting started here...

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#42 Post by Ludanto »

Sorry about that. These things can have growth spurts.

The Cliff's Notes version is that the party went to a ruined Dwarven monastery, saw a Dwarf statue, banged open a tower door and spotted a giant spider. We're now in the 3rd turn.

And now you're caught up! :)

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by jhrrsn »

Regarding our policy of 'everyone always helps', I'm cool with that unless it's something particularly dangerous or unrelated to the core task - Aoife is a good team player but isn't particularly interested in anyone else's personal cr*p!

Also, it miiiiiight be worth slowing things down a tad - I'm really enjoying discovering this adventure & the characters, but it feels like a live game session at the moment!
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Marullus »

ffilz wrote:I've posted a character sheet, I still don't have a belief or goal, could use some help. Also, before I read any of the session stuff (will have to try and catch up tomorrow), if anyone has any critique on Galen the Elf Ranger Cartographer's sheet, let me know.

Frank
We are here to help! :)

You have a friend, mentor, and parents, so should have Circles 4, not 3.

You kept your Fighter skill at 3, so your Nature should only be 4, not 5. (If your Nature were 5, fighter would be reduced to 2.) Since you are experienced against orc armies and even speak their tongue, I assume you took the "I rise to the challenge and confront evil' option for that Nature question.

You get a social skill. Take skill: Haggler, Manipulator, Orator or Persuader at 2.

You can start with spell components worn on your hands and neck: in your case, it is a link of chain. Easy enough - if you like, add simple chain bracelets/necklace and you have three one-use items.

You're the third-best fighter - it might be good for you to have a satchel and not a backpack. I am glad you carry a lantern! :) I would suggest have spell book and oil in the satchel and food in your pouch. Maybe add a quiver in the extra torso spot to carry two more items (since you actually CAN get and wield a bow later).

Belief and goal just require some personality development. You have an Elf who learned lore, not crafting. Who rose to the challenge to fight the evil of the world instead of hiding in glades. You became a skilled mapper as you explored the world, you faced armies of orcs and even learned their tongue (perhaps by interrogation, or odd friendship), and you came away Scarred by these experiences. How does that shape you?

You lived in the religious bastion that persecuted dwarves as heathens. Are you here with Aiofe, helping her find either peace or justice after the church burned her family? Or are you here with Berry, because the church has guided your crusade?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#45 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I think it was a flurry of activity yesterday because it was a weekend. During the week days I can only access tye site on my phone on my breaks, so I won't be chiming in under after 6pm EST.

I agree with Berry about helping party actions, I'm game if it is for the objective, not so much for someone's side quest unless it goes toward my goal of ridding evil, my talents tend towards fighting, scouting, and outdoor survival.

As for the current conflict - the spider, if we fight it we can camp here, although we haven't scouted he upper floor. Or we could retreat out into the courtyard and save our test for something else before camping.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Ludanto »

Also consider, with regard to Kill conflicts, are you willing to die to get rid of this spider?

It's also more dangerous than you are. Order of Might 4 means it hits harder, maneuvers better and recovers faster than you.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by jhrrsn »

What does 'Drive Off' really mean? For instance, if we drove off a monster and then camped (in a highly theoretical scenario!), how much of an impact on the safety of the camp would there be.

I guess it's unclear if we're just buying ourself a few actions, or if this thing is going to leave us alone for the foreseeable future. Aoife doesn't have anything against spiders, she just doesn't want to have to fight this thing over and over again every time we go into a new area!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Marullus »

jhrrsn wrote:What does 'Drive Off' really mean? For instance, if we drove off a monster and then camped (in a highly theoretical scenario!), how much of an impact on the safety of the camp would there be.

I guess it's unclear if we're just buying ourself a few actions, or if this thing is going to leave us alone for the foreseeable future. Aoife doesn't have anything against spiders, she just doesn't want to have to fight this thing over and over again every time we go into a new area!
It is deliberately vague, but I think the spirit of the game that success is success - it lasts for at least a session or longer and shouldn't return during our camp.

Of course, losing means "You're injured; they sound the alarm; they summon reinforcements." We'd be kicked out of the tower, probably get some injuries (they suck), and perhaps meet its chitterling children. :o

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Ludanto »

To clarify, and allow informed choices, this is how I'm interpreting "Drive Off":

The enemy flees the immediate map area and, by default, won't come back. However, if you leave and go to where the enemy is now, you're fair game. If they're the sort to hold a grudge, they might try to follow or ambush you, if they're smart or brave or angry enough. They could also come back as a twist, though doing that immediately would be pretty boring.

Also, camping in a monster's lair seems less than safe.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote: Also, camping in a monster's lair seems less than safe.
Really? Supposing it is driven off or slain, I would assume it is the safest place to be. Everything else in the area already avoids it. :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Ludanto »

Interesting angle!

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by ffilz »

Marullus wrote:
ffilz wrote:I've posted a character sheet, I still don't have a belief or goal, could use some help. Also, before I read any of the session stuff (will have to try and catch up tomorrow), if anyone has any critique on Galen the Elf Ranger Cartographer's sheet, let me know.

Frank
We are here to help! :)

You have a friend, mentor, and parents, so should have Circles 4, not 3.
Oops.

You kept your Fighter skill at 3, so your Nature should only be 4, not 5. (If your Nature were 5, fighter would be reduced to 2.) Since you are experienced against orc armies and even speak their tongue, I assume you took the "I rise to the challenge and confront evil' option for that Nature question.
Nature 3 + questions:
Listen to ancient songs - Nature +1
Confront evil - no changes
Yearn to journey West - Nature +1

You get a social skill. Take skill: Haggler, Manipulator, Orator or Persuader at 2.
Oops, missed that small paragraph... Haggler

You can start with spell components worn on your hands and neck: in your case, it is a link of chain. Easy enough - if you like, add simple chain bracelets/necklace and you have three one-use items.
Done

You're the third-best fighter - it might be good for you to have a satchel and not a backpack. I am glad you carry a lantern! :) I would suggest have spell book and oil in the satchel and food in your pouch. Maybe add a quiver in the extra torso spot to carry two more items (since you actually CAN get and wield a bow later).
Good points, ok, will switch up, ditch the mirror, oil and small sacks in the quiver, tinderbox in the pouch, food and spellbooks in the satchel...
Belief and goal just require some personality development. You have an Elf who learned lore, not crafting. Who rose to the challenge to fight the evil of the world instead of hiding in glades. You became a skilled mapper as you explored the world, you faced armies of orcs and even learned their tongue (perhaps by interrogation, or odd friendship), and you came away Scarred by these experiences. How does that shape you?

You lived in the religious bastion that persecuted dwarves as heathens. Are you here with Aiofe, helping her find either peace or justice after the church burned her family? Or are you here with Berry, because the church has guided your crusade?
I'm guessing that Galen and Berry were introduced through Cale the Cartographer

Ok, things updated, are my belief and goal good?

Now I will try and catch up on the adventure thread...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#53 Post by jhrrsn »

Well met, Galen!

Regarding Monsieur Spider, does he not add a success due to his superior might? (why do I try to point these things out?!)...

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by ffilz »

Ok, I'm caught up...

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by ffilz »

Oh, and one more thing, I'm totally lost on how we're doing die rolls... I tried to get set up with the Unseen Servant die roller and have had no luck whatsoever...

I tried to get admin help and that didn't get me anywhere...

Frank

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by Ludanto »

jhrrsn, +1s (like from the Might difference) is defined specifically as only applying if the test is already successful. Since this is a versus test, we'll have to see how it goes.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#57 Post by jhrrsn »

Ahh cool thanks!

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Ludanto »

Frank,

Go to the dice roller site. Chose Character. Create new. Give it Campaign ID 588. Save it.

Then, when you go to the Roll the Dice link, you can choose your guy from the drop down and put in the dice code and click the die to roll.

Then just copy the forum code that will be provided and paste that into your forum post.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by ffilz »

Ludanto wrote:Frank,

Go to the dice roller site. Chose Character. Create new. Give it Campaign ID 588. Save it.

Then, when you go to the Roll the Dice link, you can choose your guy from the drop down and put in the dice code and click the die to roll.

Then just copy the forum code that will be provided and paste that into your forum post.
I can't log in or create an account... Or is there another link other than the one in the upper right of any Unseen Servant page?

Every time I try and create an account, something gets messed up, I never get a confirmation e-mail, and then I can no longer try and create an account with the ffilz id...

It's been an absolute frustrating mess...

Enough to make me close to just giving up on the games here, much as I want to participate...

Frank

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I can't catch up again....

So without all the information, is there a chance of using Rabon's instinct here? Is this thing sentient and speaking common so he can manipulate it?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”