Re: OOC Discussion

#221 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

So I have two checks then?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Marullus »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:So I have two checks then?
Yep, looks like it. With Allric's, that is 3 total. Does anyone else have checks?

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#223 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

There are three of us with conditions, but then we won't be able to do anything else except instincts.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Marullus »

Checks are needed for:
- Rabon: Cooking to feed the group
- Galen: Try again to make the map
- Allric: Recover from exhausted
- Thag: Recover from exhausted
- Rabon: Recover from Angry
- Aiofe: Study the dwarven book (Scholar)
What else?
Allric doesn't have much of a chance to recover from Exhausted (B2 vs Ob 3) so it would be a waste of a check. He just needs to live on being tired.

I think we need the Cooking test, then then other two recovery, personally.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#225 Post by jhrrsn »

I can make some bolts for you when we're in town maybe :)

Also, Ludanto, while we're back in the tower can I deconstruct our 'stairway' & roll my d6-1 to see how many pitons I can recover?
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

shroomofinsanity
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#226 Post by shroomofinsanity »

I can use healer to make a poultice to help with that exhaustion test. It's not much but it could help

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#227 Post by Ludanto »

jhrrsn wrote:I can make some bolts for you when we're in town maybe :)

Also, Ludanto, while we're back in the tower can I deconstruct our 'stairway' & roll my d6-1 to see how many pitons I can recover?
Yes

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Marullus »

shroomofinsanity wrote:I can use healer to make a poultice to help with that exhaustion test. It's not much but it could help
Yeah, if we have extra checks in a future camp, that's an option. He can also get a +1 from his cloak. It takes two checks to get a 4d vs Ob 3 test. The important thing is that everyone earn the checks during play. :)

Otherwise he can work at the elixir, or there are ways to recover Exhausted in town. (He's a frail old man... Some things are only helped by a good feather bed.)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#229 Post by Ludanto »

Marullus wrote:He can also get a +1 from his cloak.
Just an aside, there's nothing that says that a cloak explicitly grants +1D to recover from Exhaustion.
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Just an aside, there's nothing that says that a cloak explicitly grants +1D to recover from Exhaustion.
It says "+1D to Health tests related to staying warm and keeping dry." I have never seen it questioned that this would apply to the Health tests to rest and recover from Exhausted or Injured. It is the primary reason people take cloaks.

Nice twist, and thanks for the partial success on the potion... While the negation of his Thoughtful trait hurts Allric more, at least it is something he can hope to recover from! :)

Don't any others have checks? If not, then I think we still do the Cooking test. We then need to decide which two of the three conditions we try to alleviate - I think we try to get That rested, then it is a toss up between Allric and Rabon being angry.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#231 Post by Ludanto »

Marullus wrote:I have never seen it questioned that this would apply to the Health tests to rest and recover from Exhausted or Injured. It is the primary reason people take cloaks.
Yeah, weird. But I think the fiction has work with this, otherwise you could come in, exhausted from the desert heat, wrap yourself in your warm cloak and get a bonus to recover from your heat-induced exhaustion. Just one of those things.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Deserts are ridiculously chilly at night, so a cloak would come in handy. Also, a cloak can be used to set up a makeshift shelter (with staffs to support it) to protect a character from the sun.

Pedantics aside, to me, most situations would allow for a cloak to make you more comfortable, at the least using it as a pillow. There will, of course, be times a cloak wouldn't help with recovering from exhausted, but it seems those would be the exceptions, where you could let us know not to expect it to help. Is this one of those situations, or were you just pointing out that we shouldn't always assume that?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#233 Post by Ludanto »

The thing is, there's is almost no relationship in the rules between cloaks and Exhaustion.

Cloaks help with Health and Survivalist tests related to staying warm and keeping dry. That might include an Exhaustion recovery test, if you're exhausted from the cold or wet.

Weavers can make products, which include cloaks, that can be used as supplies (which is its own weirdness) when recovering from exhausted conditions from being cold and wet.

Basically, if you're not cold and wet (or trying not to be), cloaks aren't specifically helpful for Exhaustion.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

You mentioned wine being good to double tap, as it were for angry and hungry/thirsty. Does that include when cooking with it, or just imbibing a wineskin directly? Because wine is +1D to cooking tests, then the food wo u ld give +1D to Allric and Rabon. Seems like a stretch to me, so I wanted your ruling.

Thanks. (Either way it is Cook 2D +2D help +1D from wine =5D vs Ob3)

Also, next time, before we camp, we should enhance this campsite further by establishing a potable water source, and maybe somehow boarding up the windows with scraps of crates, making it safer still. I was going to suggest it earlier but Ludanto rolled for camp events first. Maybe after we camp we do some tests like that and camp again, effectively taking a day of rest, stopping before the grind hits.

Bill, since you have space and no one else responded, can you carry Rabon's dagger/food/etc? He would like to use 4he hand axe, or another, better weapon. Before we get into a conflict.

Also, if Galen wants to carry the 10'pole, I believe it could give +1D for cartographer tests because it gives measurements. Rabon could then hold the lantern (and keep his other gear).

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#235 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rusty Tincanne wrote: Bill, since you have space and no one else responded, can you carry Rabon's dagger/food/etc? He would like to use 4he hand axe, or another, better weapon. Before we get into a conflict.
Sure, no problem. I have two spaces in a quiver, and two spaces in my backpack.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks Bill. Add "preserved rations (3 1)". That means 1/3 preserved rations, Rabon having used 2 shares of them.

Whoever had the axe, please note that Rabon has it now. Sneaky thief! (Unless someone else was using it. But no one spoke up before. )

Does anyone need a dagger?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#237 Post by Ludanto »

Rusty, good point. I think you're right that "triple-tapping" would be a stretch, but only because the point of wine in cooking is flavor, as opposed to a pleasant buzz. So it's +1D vs Angry or +1D to cook, but not both.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#238 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Does anyone need a dagger?
At Level 2 a Strider can wield a word plus another weapon and gain +1D for two types of actions instead of one. Or he could choose to be a better tracker.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#239 Post by Ludanto »

BillTheGalacticHero wrote:I've wondered why we can't clip one item like a shield, a scabbard, or a quiver, to the outside of a backpack?
I think the idea is that your backpack is already clipped over with pots and pans and small hammers and whatever other skill tools that your backpack "contains".

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I was going to wait for the weekend to end before posting much more, because of ffilz.

Out of curiosity, I thought the purpose of Marullus giving the prologue was to eliminate Allric's exhausted condiiton. Why did he imbibe that elixer? Or did Allric have a different condition?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”