OOC Discussion (Session 1 & 2)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC Discussion

#261 Post by Ludanto »

Reading over the rules, Good Idea™ supplies don't actually provide a bonus. But whatever. I've already said it. I'll do what I want. :P
"Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon."
Neniam dividu la adventurgrupon.
"Ĉu vi volas koboldojn? Ĉar tiel estas kiel oni akiras koboldojn!"

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#262 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I didn't realize we could spend checks to help, but the it is, right on page 23.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#263 Post by Ludanto »

Well, you have to help to help, but you can spend the check to gain advancement when you do help.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#264 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ludanto wrote:Thag gives the "all clear" and turns around to return to the group, whereupon he kicks the tripwire that he managed to step over on the way in.
There's an audible "twang" and the sound of rapidly sliding rope, and then the rattling, clanging cacophony of stones, debris and a couple of small anvils falling from the ceiling upon Thag's head!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anvils! Like the kobolds bought supplies from Acme!
https://youtu.be/tqGeuRKW2VI

Also: Thag's test was an instinct and earned him a check. (What was the trait he used, Bill? Was he tired already from waking so early?)

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#265 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Ludanto wrote:Thag gives the "all clear" and turns around to return to the group, whereupon he kicks the tripwire that he managed to step over on the way in.
There's an audible "twang" and the sound of rapidly sliding rope, and then the rattling, clanging cacophony of stones, debris and a couple of small anvils falling from the ceiling upon Thag's head!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Anvils! Like the kobolds bought supplies from Acme!
https://youtu.be/tqGeuRKW2VI

Also: Thag's test was an instinct and earned him a check. (What was the trait he used, Bill? Was he tired already from waking so early?)
Over-confidence? lol

I guess Inwas using Early Riser negatively.

But in real life, I was babysitting my nephew's kids, his youngest is a bundle of trouble disguised as a five year old girl.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#266 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Before I roll for Health vs Obs 2, my Wise is Traps-wise, so I could use a Fate point to reroll all failed dice for my Scout roll? --> Deeper understanding to reroll one die as there was only one failure.

Would I then also be able to use a Persona point or two to add more dice? And a second Fate point to reroll those added dice if they come up as scoundrels?

And would I have to do that before I rolled Health, or could I wait until after I rolled Health to see if I make that roll? What are the consequences? If I fail I'm unconscious, so that's probably the Injured condition. If I make the Health roll then I jump out of the way and suffer no effects?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Marullus »

When the GM reveals that your failure is due to a trap (and not a hidden foe, for example) you should have the opportunity to spend Fate and Persona related to your Wise.
- First you can spend 1 Fate for Deeper Understanding and re-roll your one failed die.
- Second you can spend 1 Personal for Of Course and re-roll "all" failed dice (the same one).
- You didn't roll any 6s so you can't spend a Fate to reroll that way.
- You cannot spend Persona for extra dice as that must be done before the roll.

Spending Fate and Persona is the route to character advancement, so I highly recommend that you don't miss the opportunity to do so. :) You're probably not going to be one-die down from a roll against a trap that often.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I agree with Marullus. I've been trying to spend Fate since we started and the opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

Also, I believe the twist is a test that advances the grind, so avoiding that would be nice. :)

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#269 Post by Ludanto »

Boo! Ret-con! :)

But yeah, you can use your Wise and reroll some dice like Marullus said.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Also, I believe the twist is a test that advances the grind, so avoiding that would be nice. :)
That's an interesting question. Is a Health test to avoid being unconscious advance the Grind? I'd assume that was not a turn, like casting, eating, and such.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#271 Post by Ludanto »

It does indeed use a turn. Definitely something to avoid.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#272 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Well, I'll need some time to think up an appropriate response and flavor text, but I'll definitely use a Persona point to reroll the one die related to my Wise, but if I can't use a Persona to get a another die, then the best I can do is get another success to tie the result. Unless I roll a 6, then I could use a Fate point to reroll it.

If I tie, I'll break the tie to earn a Check for me or the party, and hope I can pass the Health check.

If I do succeed, or maybe even if I don't, I should earn a Fate point at the end of the session from using an Instinct to benefit the party. Either I triggered and escaped the trap so it didn't affect anyone else, or I took one for the team saving them from harm.

But anyway, it won't be until late tonite, I'm flying home from my sister's today, was here for my niece's wedding, and to catch up with old college friends. And I found out that one of them is a TSA shift supervisor at the airport here, but I bet they have rules about fraternizing with the public, even if he was the best man at my wedding 19 years ago.

I won't be back online until after 9pm eastern time tonite, but should have my flavor text and dice rolls done by midnight.

How's that for slowing down the pace? Feel free to chip in any additional comments or suggestions.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Marullus »

Hi Bill! Travel safe! :)

A "tie" only applies when it is a Versus test -- i.e. when you don't have an obstacle but instead roll your successes against a foe's successes. In this case you were given an Obstacle (Ob 3), so meeting the Obstacle is a Win.

So far, it has proven more difficult to spend a Fate than a Persona. You have the option of voluntarily spending a Persona to add a die before any roll. To spend a Fate, however, you need to come up short on a roll and also have either rolled 6s or be related to your Wise. Because of that, I recommend you spend 1 Fate for Deeper Understanding before you spend 1 Persona for Of Course. :)

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#274 Post by jhrrsn »

Hey fellas, I’m getting married tomorrow so I’m probably gonna be a bit flaky over the next few days!

Honeymooning in Japan but I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to check in with Aoife & the gang :)
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Marullus »

Woo hoo! Congratulations!!

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#276 Post by Ludanto »

Don't forget, folks, that Trait use needs to make sense in context and should be described or role played. That's part of the fun! (And also helps me keep track of what's going on.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

jhrrsn wrote:Hey fellas, I’m getting married tomorrow so I’m probably gonna be a bit flaky over the next few days!

Honeymooning in Japan but I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to check in with Aoife & the gang :)
Errr... Are you sure this is what you want to be doing on your honeymoon!? :P

Have a great day and a wonderful trip! I hear they have really food Japanese food there. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Marullus »

Ludanto wrote:Instincts aren't automatic, they're just "free". If Thag doesn't scout ahead, then he doesn't scout ahead. If Rabon doesn't loot a room before he leaves it, he leaves without looting it.

Some allowance is made for the asynchronous nature of the forums, though.

That said, they're nothing much of value in the sitting room, unless you like half-eaten crow.

As for the next room, you can send in Thag if you'd like. Or Rabon can search it. Or he could just blunder in and start grabbing stuff. (Such a thief!)
Huh. I suppose that's a different philosophy than BW, too. I appreciate the allowance for the nature of the forums. I would consider "always do this" as a standing player statement of intent - given the nature of the forums, it seems easier to treat it as a given if we're moving under normal circumstances (and not pursued, etc.)

Perhaps we can use it similar to the second half of your post? Just treat it as a given and either tell us "there's nothing" or "there's an Obstacle"? It seems easier than waiting for Rusty to announce that he is, in fact, doing what he says he'll always do, waiting for you to say "there's nothing" then waiting for Bill to say he does what he says he'll always do, then waiting for response on if there is actually a challenge there to work itself out over a few posts, and only then can the rest of us enter the roleplay. Instincts are pre-emptive - that's a lot of time for the rest of us to wait when the resolution could be expedited instead.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#279 Post by Ludanto »

Yeah. It's kind of tricky. Consider also that Instincts can be rather interpretive, like the example "Never leave a gold piece behind". And that it's not even necessarily a specific skill. "Search for loot" is usually Scout, but it could be Dungeoneering if treasure is tucked away in an niche at the top of a stone wall. Or there might be an automatic failure if the player doesn't describe searching in a way that might find things hidden up a wall in the first place.

I think that the fact that they're Instincts shouldn't matter so much. If your best Scout didn't have a "scout" instinct, you'd still want them to be the one that scouts, right?

But in a forum environment, of course, I think we can have a standing assumption that characters always act on their Instinct, consequences be damned. That does take some of the control away from the player, though, and can kill any chances for Good Ideas.

I guess we'll have to keep working at it. Maybe end up splitting the difference somehow.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#280 Post by Ludanto »

And then there's the thing where I tell you there's nothing there, do you relax, but if I don't automatically reveal a room as safe, now you know there's a threat before you've committed to any action that would reveal it. Maybe you decide to camp instead, or just set the room on fire or something.

Very tricky.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”