Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 3: The Dwarven Monastery

#181 Post by Ludanto »

Thag can see a short distance in the dim lantern light. Broken tiles crunch underfoot,, and at one point he has to climb over a toppled pew, but that's the extent of the terrain to be navigated. On the wall, he can see evidence of a mosaic, now broken and defaced. Whatever images it displayed are now lost. The room seems to be about 30 or 35 feet deep.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#182 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Ok, we work our way back to the front left corner.

I believe we have a second rope, I had one, and Aoife had one.

I until the first rope from myself then tie the second one, Leaving one of the group in the corner (Aoife?) holding both ropes the rest of us follow the left-hand wall. Same procedure as the other walls.

Once this is done we should have over two-thirds of the room mapped. If the room is 30 or so feet wide, and 30-35 feet deep, there is only a 10' wide strip down the center that we haven't touched with the pole.

Do we feel anywhere along any of those walls where there and "extra creepy" feeling?

If there is nothing along the left-hand wall, we'll head back to the doors and report our findings to Allric. Then do some OOC huddling for our next move.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#183 Post by Ludanto »

The other side of the room is much like the first. Nothing else in particular stands out.
All that remains unexplored at this point is the center aisle and the rear wall.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#184 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

OK, time for the center part.

Recoiling the one rope, we set out from the main doors, heading up the center of the room. I'm assuming we bump into the corpse of the one darkmantle that Rabon and I killed. Prodding it to make sure it's still dead, we continue.

Tapping the floor in front, and both sides, in a wide circle, and also over head.

We get to the front of the room where I assume the alter is. What do we find?

If we do not find anything, and the room is clear of things to snag the rope, I'll explore along the far wall too.
I'm beginning to suspect that the source of the darkness might be below us, in the basement probably reachable from th ewolf's lair.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#185 Post by Ludanto »

Moving up the center aisle, everyone but Allric steps carefully past the carcass of the dead monster. A poke with the pole confirms that things haven't changed there. The pole also confirms the presence of a pillar on either side of the aisle, about halfway across the room.

At the back of the room is what appears to be a large platform of natural, uncut stone. On it, rests a huge, ceremonial anvil with defaced inscriptions on the near side.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon follows silently behind Thag, shedding as much light as he can offer while looking up repeatedly, knowing the octopi came from the rafters last time. He looks briefly at the shattered mosaic and is wise enough to know it is worthless in it's defaced state. Let's get up to the anvil-altar.
And maybe there's a doorway behind it where they kept the ritualistic stuff.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#187 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

Or in a secret compartment underneath it. Not that I know of such things.

let me check it for anything obnoxious first.

I lightly prod the uncut stone platform. Anything?

I check the wall behind it. Anything?

If neither of them lead to anything, it's back to the anvil.

Can Aoife read the inscription? Does Allric want to join us?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Marullus »

My understanding is that there's not enough light for Allric. Someone else would need to wait in the hallway. If there's non-defaced writing that Aiofe can't read, then Allric can use a spell to read it, but we need to camp first for him to memorize it. If it is just an interpretation issue, he can come provide Loremaster help.

Do we see anything like the statue drawn (or any other drawings) from the Thick Book?

We have the engraved ruby which is supposed to reattach to the statue/mural and empower "healing"

We have the ornamental hammer (in Allric's bag) to potentially bang on the ceremonial anvil.

We have Berry's ring, which might trigger something.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#189 Post by Ludanto »

Poking the base doesn't trigger anything, and the wall doesn't respond to Thag's jabbing.

The huge anvil on the stone looks rather like the anvil pictured in the thick book. Of course, it's anvil-shaped, so that might not mean anything.

The inscription on the side looks Dwarven, but it has been intentionally scarred with something sharp. It might be difficult to read, if you can read Dwarven.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#190 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I think I've done all the Scouting here, I could go trade places with Allric if he wants to come in.

Will his lights stay out in the hallway, or will they follow him in, if he goes in.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#191 Post by jhrrsn »

Aoife will try and take a look at the inscription.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Marullus »

Allric will trade places with Thag (leaving the hallway lit), helping Aiofe with the inscription.

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#193 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

I loop the rope around something handy, then follow it out to the hallway.

Just follow the rope in, Aoife has some inscriptions she'd like you to take a look at.

jhrrsn
Tracker
Tracker

#194 Post by jhrrsn »

Ob. 3 Scholar Test

Scholar 2D + 2D Help from Allric and Berry.

[1d6] = 2, [1d6] = 3, [1d6] = 5, [1d6] = 4

Spend 1 Fate to reroll die related to Wise (Dwarven Chronicles).

[1d6] = 2
Damn! Only two successes.

Aoife translates the inscription, and runs it past Allric and Berry to see if any of the phrases are familiar. Sadly, her own limited knowledge of Dwarven history doesn’t seem to help much.
Aoife Kearney || Torchbearer: Scoundrels

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#195 Post by Ludanto »

Alas, it seems that the vandals did their job well. The text on the anvil is simply illegible.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Marullus »

Allric pulls out the ornamental hammer and offers it to Berry. "You have the Ring of Tarog. Offer a prayer to the Lord of Light and hit the anvil with this hammer. Perhaps it will help reassert his dominion over this chapel and end this infernal darkness..."

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#197 Post by Ludanto »

Berry considers what he knows of rituals, Dwarven and otherwise, but cannot recall any particular precedents for hammers and rings and anvils.

The vandalized runes on the side of the anvil offered no insight, and the only thing on the top is a ring of teardrop-shaped indentations.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Marullus »

Now noticing the teardrop indentations, Allric asks Rabon to produce the runed ruby to see if it matches the shape.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

In the dim light, Rabon does as the old man suggests. Heya Berry, don't go whackin' our stone with that hammer, okay? It's worth more in one piece. He considers his words a moment, before adding. Less'n you think that hitting the ruby'll get us more treasure. That'd be fine, then. Rabon places the stone in the indentation that best seems to fit it. If nothing happens, he tries different indentations, hoping for something fancy and wonderful to happen. Kinda-sorta like that story about the princess and the glass shoe, right?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#200 Post by Ludanto »

For a moment, nothing happens...

Then a wave of energy blows out of the anvil, blowing back the hair of everyone in the room. For a moment, you can see clearly again, and the air smells like Spring rain on wet stone, and you think you can hear cheerfully ringing hammers in the distance.

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”