Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Session 2: The Dwarven Monastery

#141 Post by Ludanto »

Thag gives the "all clear" and turns around to return to the group, whereupon he kicks the tripwire that he managed to step over on the way in.
There's an audible "twang" and the sound of rapidly sliding rope, and then the rattling, clanging cacophony of stones, debris and a couple of small anvils falling from the ceiling upon Thag's head!

Thag needs to make a Health test to avoid being knocked unconscious! Ob2!

BillTheGalacticHero
Ranger
Ranger

#142 Post by BillTheGalacticHero »

As I step into the room, I feel something with my big toe through the leather of my worn boots, and hear the slightest scraping noise.

Uh-oh, a trap! Everyone back, if I release the tension on this trip wire it will spring the trap.

Aha! Yes, that's it! Hand me the screws from the door hinge and I can wedge them into this pulley that the trip wire passes through.

Using a Fate point to reroll single failed die.

Deeper Understanding reroll: [1d6] = 1

Ugh, the dice gods are not with me.

Using a Persona point to reroll all failed dice.

Of Course! It would work better if I used a couple screws in each pulley.

Of Course! reroll: [1d6] = 2

Or you just have to jump out of the way.

Using Health-5 to jump out of the way, and using my last Persona point to add an additional die.

Geronimo!

Health roll 6D + 1D: [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 5
Health roll 6D + 1D: [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1

Well, at least that worked, 5 successes.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#143 Post by Ludanto »

Thag barely managed to dive back out into the hall, avoiding the cascading debris from the trap in the ceiling. The racket is immense, however. If there's anyone around, they certainly know that you're here now.

Berry's lantern gutters out as it uses the last of the oil, throwing the room into grim darkness once more.

One turn until the Grind.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Marullus »

As the cacophony continues, Allric sighs and rolls his eyes, trusting Thag to extradite himself from the pile of... anvils.

He considers Galen's guttering lantern and their dwindling supply of oil, then pulls up his sleeves. He closes his eyes and, with dramatic pause, takes the time to thoughtfully review the spell formulae in his mind. He then whispers his eldritch words and gestures with his spindly fingers, attempting to invoke his glowing motes in the already-dim room.

Two motes for four turns is Ob 4. Arcanist 4D +1D Thoughtful:
Arcanist 1/2 [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 1
Arcanist 2/2 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1
Spend Fate to Reroll 6:
Arcanist (reroll 6) [1d6] = 2

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#145 Post by Ludanto »

Allaric casts his spell carefully, but when the incantation is complete, nothing happens... There is only a faint hum in the air for a moment, eventually interrupted by a hard "clack"...

And then the world goes white!

The glare from the four orbs is blinding, like tiny suns that dance around the group uncontrollably. You can barely open your eyes beyond a squint without pain, and all you can see around you are shadows and blobby after-images.

Allric's attempts to dismiss the orbs confirm that these things are no longer under his control.

Yikes. What now?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon would roll his eyes at the incompetence the party has shown in the past few moments, if it wasn't so painful. He holds his hand up to shield his eyes and walks over the pile of rubble into the room, finding a darkened corner that he can see out of. He takes a look around the room to see if the blinding light has uncovered anything new.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Marullus »

Allric curses under his breath, unable to dismiss the brilliant motes. Taking off his glasses and simply keeping his eyes closed, he speaks up. "Rabon?" then finds him in the room so he can speak to him in confidence.

"Something lives here. Something that has manners and uses plates and knives. If it is within, we've abandoned any surprise, but we can still use this rather... impressive display to our advantage. Perhaps you can devise a ruse wherein you open that door and trick or bluff any occupant into submission before it?"

Assuming this blindness operates like Darkness, we can engage in a spoken conflict (Convince, Trick, Riddle) or it can flee, but neither of us can initiate combat under these conditions. Allric is all about turning the appearance of power to advantage. ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Impressive is about the right word... Rabon walks to the door and tries opening it.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#149 Post by Ludanto »

While the initial onslaught was quite literally blinding, by the time that Rabon approaches the door, everyone's eyes have adjusted to being merely "dazzled", though that's not much better.

Tripping over the pile of stones and anvils on the floor, Rabon grabs the handle and carefully pulls it open. Inside, barely visible through the glare, are two beds. One is rumpled and seems well-used. The other bears a scattering of bird bones, a small sack, and an assortment of rusty tools.

There are no other obvious exits from this room.

The air is permeated with a spicy musk.

So, effectively "dim" light.

What now?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Rabon's instinct triggers on the old room?
Thag's instinct triggers on the new room?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#151 Post by Ludanto »

Instincts aren't automatic, they're just "free". If Thag doesn't scout ahead, then he doesn't scout ahead. If Rabon doesn't loot a room before he leaves it, he leaves without looting it.

Some allowance is made for the asynchronous nature of the forums, though.

That said, they're nothing much of value in the sitting room, unless you like half-eaten crow.

As for the next room, you can send in Thag if you'd like. Or Rabon can search it. Or he could just blunder in and start grabbing stuff. (Such a thief!)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

I think Thag gets first crack at it if he wants it. Bill? Check for traps?

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#153 Post by Ludanto »

Despite everything I said in the OOC thread...

Thag pokes around the room. The blinding glare makes it difficult to make out details, but nothing kills him while he searches, and he finds no threats.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Marullus »

Inside, barely visible through the glare, are two beds. One is rumpled and seems well-used. The other bears a scattering of bird bones, a small sack, and an assortment of rusty tools. There are no other obvious exits from this room. The air is permeated with a spicy musk.
Tough Call. Do we say "we'll wait for them to be home" and go back to camp and rest? Or do we check the place and loot it, advancing the Grind? I think the former is too awkward and out-of-character for our Scoundrels... I'm going to go ahead and move the second direction.

Allric contemplates the room, looking it over with his Wizard's Sight.

If all is clear, he waves the group in, finding it best to check the room out and depart expediently. "Aiofe, what do you make of those tools? Galen, Thag... see if you can find any hidden compartments?" For himself, Allric steps over and peers into the small sack, holding it cautiously at arm's length. Can discern anything about the spiciness of the musk with his trained alchemist's nose?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#155 Post by ffilz »

Galen will search the room for hidden compartments, using his dagger to tap the walls and floor to listen for echoes. He will look under the beds too.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sorry to miss a few posts. I've been busy with another game and am just catching up here. I note Galen is trying to locate things in the bedroom. I'd like to activate my instinct first, please.

As the group transitions to the bed room, Rabon uses the opportunity to rifle through the dining room, using the pole to prod at floorboards and any loose stones, tapping on the table. He also checks up high, on mantles, etc. Dang it! There's got to be somethin' worth somethin' here! He grumbles at his recent misfortune.

Ludanto
Ranger
Ranger

#157 Post by Ludanto »

Galen's frustration mounts as he comes up empty on his search of the first room. As for the second room, it's difficult to see past the constantly strobing lights, but after a while, you're reasonably certain that this is a dead end with no secrets.

Aoife identifies the tools as stonemason tools, but they're rusted and not as good as the ones she already has with her.

Allric opens the sack carefully and peers inside to find a collection of green copper coins, as well as an unusually large red gem, cut like a teardrop and bearing some sort of runic inscription.

His thoughts are interrupted when he is struck by recognition. The smell! It smells like that kobold that they had captured earlier.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Marullus »

Allric relaxes slightly when he recognizes the smell of a likely kobold occupant, which alleviates his fears of more sorcerous unguents being responsible for the spicy smell. "Anyone find anything else?" he asks, cinching the sack shut for the moment and passing it off to Rabon to hold, his own hands being rather full. "If not, lets go back to the tower. I'd like a closer look at the runes on the stone within this bag before anyone touches it."

Okay, that takes care of this side of the hall. It gives us a reason to Camp (investigate the stone). We didn't trigger a test, so it makes sense to still do so. We have two Checks, which should allow us to use one to investigate the stone if needed and also to let Rabon test against Angry. Good?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rabon's mood brightens slightly when he learns there inside the sack he is now carrying, but it only makes him hungry for more. You want to quit now? We barely got anything for our troubles. He grumbles about his lost picks all the way back to the tower.

I'm fine with camping now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Marullus »

Okay, we have Allric, Rabon and That okay with camp and Aiofe hopefully enjoying a honeymoon. :) Let's travel-by-map back to our tower campsite and initiate Camp Phase? Ludanto?

Return to “Torchbearer: Scoundrels”