001 cargo and passenger logistics

ffilz
Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Kicking off

#1 Post by Ramona »

Eris wrote:"As far as cargo and passengers, I haven't had a chance to look into that yet."Wen says, "I dare say we won't have trouble getting folks who want off this rock, and we do have 20 low berths we can fill. Cargo, I'm much more unsure of."

"Folks, the thing is we've only got one place to jump to from here and that's a Zero population planet called Fogbound. I doubt any passengers will want to be dropped off there, so they'll be paying to go through Fogbound and on to our next destination. That will pretty much have to be Shedezar (D589799-7 Ri) as the other choice is also a zero pop planet called Bistron. "

"We're going to need to do some smart speculative trading out here to make enough money to keep the wolves...and the bank...away from our door. Now, Shedezar is a rich planet and agricultural and luxury products do sell well on planets like that so that's what we'll be looking for, right? I'm probably going to be pretty busy getting the ship ready to fly, so we probably need someone else to step up and look for a good buy here for us to sell on Shedezar."
“I don’t know how much legitimate cargo you’re going to find,” Ana says quietly,“war kind of puts a stopper on any kind of business that doesn’t involve things that go boom.”

“One thing we do have here is an abundance of is people who want out and they can be broken into three groups. The well heeled crowd who don’t already own a starship, these people want cabins and demand service. In a situation like this they’ll only share a room with their immediate family and still complain if you haven’t got enough room for all four of their Staffordshire Post hover limos. Then you’ve got the middle class, they’ve got some money in their pockets and are more than happy to pay for a two week nap and finally there’s the workng poor. They’re the folk who work two full-time jobs and still don’t have 2cr to rub together. Those folk will sleep nut to butt with ten complete strangers for weeks on end and still ask if there’s anything they can do to help out.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#2 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“One thing we do have here is an abundance of is people who want out and they can be broken into three groups. The well heeled crowd who don’t already own a starship, these people want cabins and demand service. In a situation like this they’ll only share a room with their immediate family and still complain if you haven’t got enough room for all four of their Staffordshire Post hover limos. Then you’ve got the middle class, they’ve got some money in their pockets and are more than happy to pay for a two week nap and finally there’s the workng poor. They’re the folk who work two full-time jobs and still don’t have 2cr to rub together. Those folk will sleep nut to butt with ten complete strangers for weeks on end and still ask if there’s anything they can do to help out.”
"Young couples, or young families," Vee steps up beside Ana. "They have the best chance to make it on their own in another star system, if they have a marketable skill." She shrugs. "It's a bit cold-hearted, but we have to draw a line somewhere."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:”Young couples, or young families," Vee steps up beside Ana. "They have the best chance to make it on their own in another star system, if they have a marketable skill." She shrugs. "It's a bit cold-hearted, but we have to draw a line somewhere."
Ana raises an eyebrow, “Cold hearted would be, no cash, no seat. We’re not represetatives of the final destination, we have no idea what will or won’t be marketable skills and that’s not our jobs. I’m not fussy how we choose if we decide to go down this path, random lottery, first come first serve, it’s up to the skip.”

Ana pushes her hair back behind her ears, “The other problem we have to consider is who knows if the final destination will even want them, Shedezar could just as easily tell us to take a hike and refuse to let us land. Refugees are about as popular as a starship full of toxic waste, the first ship is novel and exciting and people have fund raisers and fancy dress parties to raise awareness. Fifteen ships later and the shine starts to come off that apple real quick. Suddenly what began as an altruistic venture becomes people smuggling.”

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:"As far as cargo and passengers, I haven't had a chance to look into that yet."Wen says, "I dare say we won't have trouble getting folks who want off this rock, and we do have 20 low berths we can fill. Cargo, I'm much more unsure of."

"Folks, the thing is we've only got one place to jump to from here and that's a Zero population planet called Fogbound. I doubt any passengers will want to be dropped off there, so they'll be paying to go through Fogbound and on to our next destination. That will pretty much have to be Shedezar (D589799-7 Ri) as the other choice is also a zero pop planet called Bistron. "

"We're going to need to do some smart speculative trading out here to make enough money to keep the wolves...and the bank...away from our door. Now, Shedezar is a rich planet and agricultural and luxury products do sell well on planets like that so that's what we'll be looking for, right? I'm probably going to be pretty busy getting the ship ready to fly, so we probably need someone else to step up and look for a good buy here for us to sell on Shedezar."
Reminder from before:

Due to the refugee situation, I will rule that you will have no trouble filling all low berths, high and middle passages I will roll on the usual charts, however, your next destination is population 0... Ooh, that's rough... You will need to role play to acquire passengers other than low (again due to desperation, low passenger refugees will pay 2000 cr for passage to the next inhabited world you visit). You may be able to find passengers interested in shipping cargo also.

Koradin would also be an acceptable destination to low passengers. You may want to consider where you ultimately want to go, Fogbound might not continue to be as well served if trade to Tegel shuts down.

OOC: We're also going to need Jump Tapes for all of our jumps. Here on Tegel we can buy one for Fogbound, but can we also buy a Jump Tape from Fogbound to Shedezar here, or will tapes be available for purchase at the E class...bare ground with a fence around it...star port on Fogbound?
Given that all these worlds are on space lanes, I will assume even a Class E star port office has a computer capable of generating jump tapes, though they could also be shipped in from neighboring worlds. You can purchase jump tapes for other routes than just those from the star you are at and they are good for at least 4 weeks (I may have ruled somewhere on how long they are good for, have to check all my notes...).

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:Ana raises an eyebrow, “Cold hearted would be, no cash, no seat. We’re not represetatives of the final destination, we have no idea what will or won’t be marketable skills and that’s not our jobs. I’m not fussy how we choose if we decide to go down this path, random lottery, first come first serve, it’s up to the skip.”

Ana pushes her hair back behind her ears, “The other problem we have to consider is who knows if the final destination will even want them, Shedezar could just as easily tell us to take a hike and refuse to let us land. Refugees are about as popular as a starship full of toxic waste, the first ship is novel and exciting and people have fund raisers and fancy dress parties to raise awareness. Fifteen ships later and the shine starts to come off that apple real quick. Suddenly what began as an altruistic venture becomes people smuggling.”
Vee turns to Ana. "First, young couples or families would be the least troublesome passengers. Second, they would also be more likely to be admitted onto another world, since they are likely to *not* be troublesome refugees." She faces the captain. "Captain, letting random people aboard isn't a good policy, in my opinion."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#6 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:Vee turns to Ana. "First, young couples or families would be the least troublesome passengers. Second, they would also be more likely to be admitted onto another world, since they are likely to *not* be troublesome refugees." She faces the captain. "Captain, letting random people aboard isn't a good policy, in my opinion."
“I am pretty sure if I look ‘space taxi’ up in the dictionary there’s a line in there somewhere about accepting money from random people for a ride from planet A to planet B.”

Ana rubs the bridge of her nose, “As for who we decide to take, that’d be up to the skipper, but keep in mind choosing who gets to go means having to tell some recently widowed middle aged mother of three that her money’s no good here.”

The tall military woman turns her eyes to Wen, “I might be able to get a line on some decommissioned temporary military shelters, it won’t be pretty, it won’t be comfortable and it’ll likely take a week to get them out of the hold, and month to get rid of the smell. Who knows, maybe if we’re really lucky we might just break even but in the long run it might buy us some good will for future endeavours.”

“I may also be able to point you in the direction of some local stuffed shirts looking for a way out. Although what we do in the end is ultimately up to you though sir.”
Last edited by Ramona on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#7 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote:“So,”Ana says counting on her fingers and nodding to everyone in turn, “let me see if I have this right, two captains, two first officers, a second officer, two third officers, a scout and a grunt. That’s a lot of brass.”

She grins a little and winks at Sara, “Well I mean at least the two of us have some real world experience and we can probably guess who’s going to get stuck unstopping the bog."
Sara chuckles and grins back, another blush tinting her fair skin as she then looks around, studiously avoiding staring at Ana's arms again.
Eris wrote:"Guitar player?" Wen grins,"That's great! What sort of music do you play? I have a violin that I fiddle around with, mostly Gypsy or Traveller Jazz. Maybe we can jam sometime?
"I'd love that, sir... uh, Wen, I mean... as for what I play... well you know Scouts, we're all about exploration, so a bit of everything, but I am fond of bluegrass and folk music."
Eris wrote:"Level 2 Pilot, some local information and surviving the Scout Service shows you have good instincts. If you're agreeable to the Articles of Agreement, welcome to the crew Sara!", Wen offers his hand to shake on it.
Sara shakes his hand solidly. "I am and thank you!" She has a good grip, even if from a small, almost delicate hand.

She looks distressed at the choices concerning refugee passengers. She hadn't considered until now that they'd have to pick and choose among desperate people. "I'd prioritize anyone with children, full traditional family or not." She adds in.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:Sara shakes his hand solidly. "I am and thank you!" She has a good grip, even if from a small, almost delicate hand.

She looks distressed at the choices concerning refugee passengers. She hadn't considered until now that they'd have to pick and choose among desperate people. "I'd prioritize anyone with children, full traditional family or not." She adds in.
“The worst part is even if we could scrounge up or steal enough shelters to fill the cargo-hold for next to nothing we may only be able to get 70 I dunno maybe 90 people tops in the hold no including cabins and lowberths. There are thousands of people trying to get out of here, I mean at that point are we even helping or are we simply providing a false sense of hope?” Ana frowns and shrugs.

“Either way we should probably keep this under our hats till we figure out the logistics of it and whether it’s even feasible.” Ana pulls her boots off and starts to get out of the lower half of her vac-suit, “Someone should probably keep an eye on the perimeter while the rest of you spacey types get this thing up and running. Just try not to turn on any external lights, lights tend to draw attention from unwanted eyes.”

Ana pulls her regular clothes back on before sliding back into her armored vest.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:"Vee and Stefan, contact a passenger broker and get us a full complement of passengers bound for Fogbound. Fill all 20 low berths if you can and five of the passenger staterooms. One we'll have to keep for crew use, I'm afraid. Oh, and we're charging standard rates. I'd like to maximize our return on the passengers, so look for passengers that will double up in the staterooms...2 times 8 is better than 1 times 10."[/dialog] Wen smiles.
"Yes, Captain," Vee replies with a nod. She turns to Stefan. "Okay, so we have to find thirty passengers, plus the odd small child, if we go with my idea of booking families into the staterooms. It doesn't matter so much about the low berths - they won't be troublesome during the trip."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by joertexas »

joertexas wrote:
Eris wrote:"Vee and Stefan, contact a passenger broker and get us a full complement of passengers bound for Fogbound. Fill all 20 low berths if you can and five of the passenger staterooms. One we'll have to keep for crew use, I'm afraid. Oh, and we're charging standard rates. I'd like to maximize our return on the passengers, so look for passengers that will double up in the staterooms...2 times 8 is better than 1 times 10."[/dialog] Wen smiles.
"Yes, Captain," Vee replies with a nod. She turns to Stefan. "Okay, so we have to find thirty passengers, plus the odd small child, if we go with my idea of booking families into the staterooms. It doesn't matter so much about the low berths - they won't be troublesome during the trip."
"I'll go to the terminal; maybe you can check the local datanet for leads," she suggests to Stefan. Vee stashes her duffel bag in the cargo bay, since she hasn't been assigned a cabin. After a quick trip to the fresher, she puts on her mask, and cycles through the airlock. The walk across the tarmac is punctuated by the sounds of gunfire and artillery, and she hurries to the terminal. There, she looks for areas where people seeking passage offworld might congregate.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#11 Post by erkenbrand »

What is the order of things when attempting a task, Simon is looking up trade deals, should I roll 2d6 here?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:What is the order of things when attempting a task, Simon is looking up trade deals, should I roll 2d6 here?
I'll roll the trade stuff later today, this is not a skill or attribute based task roll.

On the other hand, it's also just a simple set of rolls, if you have 1977 Book 2, you could just make the rolls yourself. I'll add the small cargoes.

I've been a bit out of things the past week, but if there are any other actions awaiting my resolution, let me know and I'll let you know what to roll.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:I've been a bit out of things the past week, but if there are any other actions awaiting my resolution, let me know and I'll let you know what to roll.
Vee is in the terminal building, looking for passengers, specifically young couples with or without children.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:
Ramona wrote:Growing tired of waiting for Wen to head forward Ana packs up the ID machine and heads aft looks ng to corner the skipper.

“Wen,” Ana says finally funding him, “no, don’t run off this won’t take long.”
You must have missed my post where I let Ramona do the ID thing a while back. Not a problem unless folks were waiting on me, because I was waiting on Frank to tell me what bank holds the mortgage, because I was going there to open the ship's account. :)
Oh, I thought I had handled the bank issue... Consider it done...
She inserts a thick white plastic card into the machine and places his hand on the the scanner. “Look, skip.” She says waiting for the scanner to finish processesing his palm and finger prints, “I’ve got a line on 10 modular bases, 6 tons, can hold 6 people per. Dingo wants 25k each and at 10k a passenger that’s a tidy little profit margin, way better than 1k per ton of cargo. Dingo might even be open to negotiation on that price.”

Ana holds the machine up to scan his face, “Smile, how about a serious face, look just hold still and don’t fidgit. The passenger fees will cover the costs of the bases and an extra 2ton of cargo each will give them a years worth of supplies. Take them to Fogbound and let them set up a colony.”

“Look here, iris scan next. Anyway,”she continues a blue light shining in his eye, “think about it, if you like it we can contact Vee and Simon and get them on this.”

The machine spits out a card with Wen’s shipboard credentials as Ana pushes a button uploading the information to the ships computer. She gives the card a quick shake before glancing at it and handing it to Wen, the card is warm to the touch. On the front surface is his name, a photograph and some basic information, on the back are a series of radial markings where a great deal more information is encoded.
We're going to need a ruling from Frank on the Modules before we can follow this up. I think Ramona is wanting to install some Modules in the cargo hold and put passengers in them for transport to Fogbound, right. It's a good idea if it will work...profitably. We need to know if the extra passenger slots are going to mean extra life support costs, how many passengers can we handle with the two PC's with Steward, and how much we can charge for passage in a Module (surely not 10 KCr!)? We would need to recoup the expense of 25 KCr per module, plus the costs of life support and incidentals, before we figure out profit. Frank?

"It is an idea worth thinking about Ramona, but we have to think out the logistics problems before we commit money to this."Wen says.
Ramona and I have been having a private message chat... I'll just share the final bit I presented:

I think your best bet is to offer to help a bunch of folks set up a colony on Fogbound. 10 kcr per person and they keep the advanced bases as temporary housing to start their colony. You will also need to provide some food and other supplies, (I just did a quick Google search for relief supplies and came up with 1.2 tons per 6 people for a year for food, let's bump that to 2 tons per unit to include stuff other than just food. Using the cargo prices, and doubling for the current conditions, that would be 4 kcr per unit, so your costs per unit (that now takes 8 tons of cargo space) is 25 kcr (unit) + 2 kcr (life support for the jump) + 4 kcr (relief supplies) is 31 kcr, netting you 29 kcr, You get the passage price up front, so you can arrange with your logistics friend to have the units and supplies delivered and you pay him from the proceeds of the ticket.

You might be able to push the ticket price up some if you apply Admin skill or someone uses Bribery, Steward, or Streetwise skill. Even if you stick with the 29 kcr net, that's still almost 4x the standard cargo rate...

As to taking care of those passengers, you are seeking folks who are desperate to leave here and set up somewhere else, you have done some logistics for them. There will almost certainly be people willing to pay the 10 kcr, and note that compared to an 8 kcr middle passage, they get smaller quarters but they get advanced base modules and supplies to set up on Fogbound. You don't need a steward for middle passengers.

You might also, given the situation, be able to get more than 8 kcr for a middle passage. You definitely can double bunk them (normally you can't double bunk middle passengers).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by joertexas »

ffilz wrote:Ramona and I have been having a private message chat... I'll just share the final bit I presented:

I think your best bet is to offer to help a bunch of folks set up a colony on Fogbound. 10 kcr per person and they keep the advanced bases as temporary housing to start their colony.
Is anyone sharing this information with Vee? She's in the terminal looking for passengers.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:I totally missed a Wen gets ID’d post, been chatting with Frank behind the scenes as I had a thought and bounced it off him and then we kinda fleshed it out. Waiting on Wen to make a decision to share the idea with Vee.
You probably should share the idea with Vee so she can get start getting an idea of how many passengers might be interested (without committing to the idea yet).

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by Ramona »

Ana looks at the clearly gobsmacked Wen, who knew a ground rat could come up with such a devious business plan, before flipping open her phone and calling Vee.

“Vee, it’s Ana, Skip wants you to put out feelers see how many people might be willing to pay to get off this rock and settle on Fogbound at least temporarily. Oh hey, don’t forget that doctor fellow in the bar who was looking for passage there.”

Ana texts Simon as she talks to Vee, “Contact Lt. Simon Palliser, tell him Fenrir sent you to enquire about the mobile bases. He quoted me 25k but haggle with him. ###-####-####”

As soon as she finishes her text to Simon she sends another one to Sara, “Scouts have a small office space between the washrooms and the ‘1.6 Kilometre High Club Lounge’ on the lowest level of the terminal.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“Vee, it’s Ana, Skip wants you to put out feelers see how many people might be willing to pay to get off this rock and settle on Fogbound at least temporarily. Oh hey, don’t forget that doctor fellow in the bar who was looking for passage there.”
"Got it," Vee says. "I'll comm you when I get some passengers lined up. How many can we take?" She turns and walks toward the bar.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#19 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:
Ramona wrote:“Vee, it’s Ana, Skip wants you to put out feelers see how many people might be willing to pay to get off this rock and settle on Fogbound at least temporarily. Oh hey, don’t forget that doctor fellow in the bar who was looking for passage there.”
"Got it," Vee says. "I'll comm you when I get some passengers lined up. How many can we take?" She turns and walks toward the bar.
“60, plus 20 in the freezers and another however many in the staterooms.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“60, plus 20 in the freezers and another however many in the staterooms.”
"Seventy-plus?" Vee repeats. "We don't have nearly enough life support for that many people."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”