Kicking off

ffilz
erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

Re: Kicking off

#121 Post by erkenbrand »

I've missed out a few weeks with real life work, but I would like to get back in the game. At the moment the posting format is confusing to me because it's not what I am used to. I'm not into shoehorning the game into the way I want it to be, but the only idea I'd like to put forward is that the GM occasionally posts a summary of what all the characters are doing (even if they haven't done anything since last time), and perhaps in a different format so it is obvious, that way we can catch up easily. Thanks. Character post to follow (once I know what he's doing)

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#122 Post by GodricTheWell »

Ramona wrote:It’s a non face to face game and people have lives, you’ll always be waiting on people to reply. It’s the nature of the beast. I tend to give people 3 days and then I just assume they’re not replying anytime soon.
Oh weird, this whole time I was thinking we were sitting around the table, face to face. :lol:
Seriously though, I understand that PbP's come in many forms. And some go weeks with little to no activity, and some require a post a day, and everywhere in between. I was just raising the flag to see how other people felt about the pace. For me, it's too slow. I lose continuity and end up trying to fill in my time with other PbP games, or planning for IRL games. Then, I forget about this one, and become the very type of player that I don't want to become—mainly,
an infrequent or AWOL PC.

Mark exhales long and slow, as he taps his reply to his former captain and rubs his eyes.
Frick!

He stands up and casually makes his way towards the exit, affecting an air of being engaged in some task that requires him outside. He avoids eye contact as he sidesteps Caption Wen and the others who are deep in conversation with some new guy about containers and mining equipment. He slips his filter back in place and cycles back out into the night.
Sianara suckers!

Mark walks briskly across the platform, excitement growing in his mind—a longing for the familiar—as he anticipates things going back to normal. He receives a new message on his handheld when he remembers...
My duffel!
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:I've missed out a few weeks with real life work, but I would like to get back in the game. At the moment the posting format is confusing to me because it's not what I am used to. I'm not into shoehorning the game into the way I want it to be, but the only idea I'd like to put forward is that the GM occasionally posts a summary of what all the characters are doing (even if they haven't done anything since last time), and perhaps in a different format so it is obvious, that way we can catch up easily. Thanks. Character post to follow (once I know what he's doing)
I admit I'm getting a bit lost myself. Let's start with everyone posting what they think they're doing. Also, if you could indicate your comfort level with how things are progressing.

It didn't help that I had two weeks during the holiday season where I was not able to be very attentive, and I've sort of allowed folks to role play along.

Now my perception of the current state of things:

Vee is booking all the available passenger staterooms - this process can be considered essentially complete unless there is desire for additional role play of vetting passengers. I don't know if she has solicited low passengers yet.

Ana has a proposal for shipping Advanced Base modules and additional colonization supplies in the hold. The material logistics of this are essentially complete but there has been no booking of colonists yet.

There has been a conversation with Mr. Kamir about his container and he seems interested in passage without it (and can be considered booked).

I assume the ship is being brought up to power, and arrangements made for fuel and life support. I'm not quite sure who is working on that.

Captain Wen has established a bank account and assured that all paperwork is in order.

I know some folks are enjoying the role play interchanges, and I certainly don't want to shut them down, but I'd like to keep the pace rolling enough that folks who perhaps are more quiet will still feel like things are moving

Frank
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#124 Post by GodricTheWell »

ffilz wrote:I admit I'm getting a bit lost myself. Let's start with everyone posting what they think they're doing. Also, if you could indicate your comfort level with how things are progressing.

It didn't help that I had two weeks during the holiday season where I was not able to be very attentive, and I've sort of allowed folks to role play along.

Vee is booking all the available passenger staterooms.
Ana has a proposal for shipping Advanced Base modules and additional colonization supplies in the hold.
There has been a conversation with Mr. Kamir about his container and he seems interested in passage without it (and can be considered booked).
I assume the ship is being brought up to power, and arrangements made for fuel and life support. I'm not quite sure who is working on that.
Captain Wen has established a bank account and assured that all paperwork is in order.
Mark is currently between the ship and the station trying to decide if he's jumping ship. He's got another offer with his previous captain. But he's left his duffel, and credits, with Captain Wen.
ffilz wrote:I know some folks are enjoying the role play interchanges, and I certainly don't want to shut them down, but I'd like to keep the pace rolling enough that folks who perhaps are more quiet will still feel like things are moving

My comfort level is mixed. I've really enjoyed the actual game play. I feel like I could learn a lot about the Traveller universe from participating with this crew of experienced players. But, the pace... has got me down.
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by ffilz »

GodricTheWell wrote:
ffilz wrote:I admit I'm getting a bit lost myself. Let's start with everyone posting what they think they're doing. Also, if you could indicate your comfort level with how things are progressing.

Vee is booking all the available passenger staterooms.
Ana has a proposal for shipping Advanced Base modules and additional colonization supplies in the hold.
Mark is currently between the ship and the station trying to decide if he's jumping ship. He's got another offer with his previous captain. But he's left his duffel, and credits, with Captain Wen.
ffilz wrote:I know some folks are enjoying the role play interchanges, and I certainly don't want to shut them down, but I'd like to keep the pace rolling enough that folks who perhaps are more quiet will still feel like things are moving

My comfort level is mixed. I've really enjoyed the actual game play. I feel like I could learn a lot about the Traveller universe from participating with this crew of experienced players. But, the pace... has got me down.

I'm trying to see if I can nudge to pick up the pace a bit. I don't think I've had to call for a single skill roll yet... You could always hang tight for another week or two of play and see if things start to feel like they are moving forward. Mark will be a valuable PC (only character with Computer, 2nd character after the captain with Steward (you should actually be with Vee recruiting passengers...), one of two with Vacc Suit skill, actually a really useful PC and a young one at only two terms - if you folks run into psionics in the campaign, you could even come out with a really cool ability...). But I also understand the frustration with slow progress...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#126 Post by lenusmars »

Sara returns to the ship, and decides to check the lounge before heading forward to transfer data into the computer library.

She sees Wen and Ana in the lounge.

"Oh, Hello" She smiles and gives a little wave, though her demeanor is definitely less cheerful than earlier. "Picked up what I could, Captain. If you'd like to take a look."

She offers her hand computer for him or Ana to look over the data.
ffliz wrote: Nothing more on Fogbound than has already been presented.

Shedezar has a gas giant mine that is largely run by robots and a small anti-social human administration.

Runaway environment has swamped Bistron and flooded all it's cities. The Class B high port still operates. There is sure to be sunken wealth for those willing to brave the freak storms that wrack the world.
Okay so my feelings. This one is rolling pretty slow at the moment. I figured it would at the beginning due to the holidays but I would like a faster pace. My last post was late November and not much has changed. Admittedlly I should have posted more, but I defnitely haven't felt my usual sense of urgency. At this rate a single 'session' could take a year. That's a pretty long-term commitment and ups the risk of fade quite a bit, IME.

Pbp has been my main mode of play for several years. I've rarely been involved in one where the post rate wasn't at least once per working day. This is a much different style than I'm accustomed to, so I'm acclimatizing to many things about it at the moment, and maybe the pace is one of them.

The long ongoing continuum of a thread is one, for example. The longer the thread gets, the harder to find things. In most of the games I've been in, we've tended to split threads by scene and keep track of who is in what scene by abbreviations in the thread title. (Example "Clever Scene Title - Ana 1.0 Wen 1.0 Sara 1.0") Adding people/numbers as necessary if others pass into that scene. I'm also used to splitting out most (not all) of the ooc discussion into a seperate thread and/or consistent chat like hangouts, discord, or slack.

I don't mean to impose or suggest we should do things that way, though. I'm good to follow and see what develops for now, but yeah, this pace is pretty pokey.
Last edited by lenusmars on Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by ffilz »

lenusmars wrote:Image

Sara returns to the ship. Checking the lounge before heading forward to transfer data into the computer library.

She sees Wen and Ana in the lounge.

"Oh, Hello" She smiles and gives a little wave and a smile, though her demeanor is definitely less cheerful than earlier. "Picked up what I could, Captain. If you'd like to take a look."

She offers her hand computer for him or Ana to look over the data.
ffliz wrote: Nothing more on Fogbound than has already been presented.

Shedezar has a gas giant mine that is largely run by robots and a small anti-social human administration.

Runaway environment has swamped Bistron and flooded all it's cities. The Class B high port still operates. There is sure to be sunken wealth for those willing to brave the freak storms that wrack the world.
Okay so my feelings. This one is rolling pretty slow at the moment. I figured it would at the beginning due to the holidays but I would like a faster pace. My last post was late November and not much has changed. Admittedlly I should have posted more, but I defnitely haven't felt my usual sense of urgency. At this rate a single 'session' could take a year. That's a pretty long-term commitment and ups the risk of fade quite a bit, IME.

Pbp has been my main mode of play for several years. I've rarely been involved in one where the post rate wasn't at least once per working day. This is a much different style than I'm accustomed to, so I'm acclimatizing to many things about it at the moment, and maybe the pace is one of them.

The long ongoing continuum of a thread is one, for example. The longer the thread gets, the harder to find things. In most of the games I've been in, we've tended to split threads by scene and keep track of who is in what scene by abbreviations in the thread title. (Example "Clever Scene Title - Ana 1.0 Wen 1.0 Sara 1.0") Adding people/numbers as necessary if others pass into that scene. I'm also used to splitting out most (not all) of the ooc discussion into a seperate thread and/or consistent chat like hangouts, discord, or slack.

I don't mean to impose or suggest we should do things that way, though. I'm good to follow and see what develops for now, but yeah, this pace is pretty pokey.
Good point on thread splitting. I might move some posts around and split things up, we certainly will start a new thread once we've resolved the immediate issues at hand. I'm hoping Eris/Wen will chime in soon and we can gain some traction.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#128 Post by Ramona »

I find in pbp and pbem it’s the gm who sets the pace, players will happily wander off into the weeds for months on end if you let them, it’s herding cats. :D

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by ffilz »

In the interests of moving things along, what input do people feel is needed to move forward to the next scene?

Once we have an understanding there, I will start a new thread for the new scene.

I think it would help if people are waiting for a specific response for that to be indicated if it isn't clear from the dialog or action description.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#130 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:What are other folks feeling? It has been dragging on, and I'm all for expediting getting on with things, and in fact have been trying to do so. Are we getting stuck waiting for responses from people?
I'm fine with the game's pace, but I can keep up with whatever pace you set.
I'll take some blame for the game dragging a bit. I've been swamped with the holidays and although they are over things haven't really let up much for me. <sigh> I'll try to do better.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by ffilz »

Eris wrote:
joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:What are other folks feeling? It has been dragging on, and I'm all for expediting getting on with things, and in fact have been trying to do so. Are we getting stuck waiting for responses from people?
I'm fine with the game's pace, but I can keep up with whatever pace you set.
I'll take some blame for the game dragging a bit. I've been swamped with the holidays and although they are over things haven't really let up much for me. <sigh> I'll try to do better.
Understandable, the Christmas holiday (or other end of year holiday) tends to be very disruptive. I myself had almost no computer time during the holiday, and if one has business commitments there can be end of year craziness there.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#132 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:Simon has assumed control of the ship for takeoff readiness, I don't know what he can do about finding cargo or passengers as he has no skills in those areas. As regards moving the story on, I am all for it, but can I ask if this happens can you say so in the thread so we know there is another starting (and can be subscribed too)?
Sure. I think you can also subscribe to the whole sub-forum which should give notice to new threads.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:
erkenbrand wrote:Simon has assumed control of the ship for takeoff readiness, I don't know what he can do about finding cargo or passengers as he has no skills in those areas. As regards moving the story on, I am all for it, but can I ask if this happens can you say so in the thread so we know there is another starting (and can be subscribed too)?
Sure. I think you can also subscribe to the whole sub-forum which should give notice to new threads.
Yes, you can, but I think it hiccups sometimes and doesn't pass on the notices. Bruce has had that problem over in In The Marches...I think.

I think we have decided to bring in the modules and passengers/supplies for them, so let's expedite that...if we can.

I, too, would like to lift off and go see Fogbound. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#134 Post by ffilz »

I've got more post moving to do, but I've started several new threads.

Please take the action to

001 cargo and passenger logistics

or

000 readying the Maize Star

I've also moved some setting detail posts to the sticky thread.

Frank

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”