Character Rollups

ffilz
Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Character Rollups

#41 Post by Ramona »

ffilz wrote:Homeworlds were introduced later so I don’t use them.
I couldn’t recal, they did give some useful background skills and info.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:
ffilz wrote:Homeworlds were introduced later so I don’t use them.
I couldn’t recal, they did give some useful background skills and info.
I think they're more important in later editions with the expansion of the skill list. Classic Traveller skills are not so much an enumeration of what the character is knowledgeable about, but rather an enumeration of where the character excels under pressure. So you don't need Engineering-0 just to be able to run the drives (though to legally operate your ship you do need someone on board with Engineering-0, except maybe the Scouts where the Type-S is supposed to be operable by a single person), or Electronics-0 just to be able to run comms.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#43 Post by GodricTheWell »

Hello all, I'm Bryan. It took a bit of doing, but I finally got a character that had the Computer Skill.

Merchant 2nd Officer Mark Wood
UPP: B779C3
2 terms
Cr30,000

Skills: Computer-1, Gunnery-1, Medical-1, Shotgun-1, Steward-1, Vacc Suit-1

Benefits: Low Passage
Service History:
Rolled attributes: B779B3
Attempted to enlist in Merchants.
Enlistment roll 8 + 3 vs 7
Enlistment accepted.
--------------------------------------------
Term 1 age 22
Commission roll 6 + 1 vs 4
Commissioned during first term of service as 4th Officer.
Promotion roll 9 + 1 vs 10
Promoted to 3rd Officer.
Learned Computer-1
Learned Shotgun-1
Learned Gunnery-1
Learned Medical-1
Survival roll 7 + 2 vs 5
Reenlistment roll 7 vs 4
Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.
Term 2 age 26
Promotion roll 10 + 1 vs 10
Promoted to 2nd Officer.
Learned Vacc Suit-1
Learned Steward-1
Survival roll 7 + 2 vs 5
Reenlistment roll 9 vs 4
Chose not to reenlist after second term.
Mustered Out
10,000 credits
Increased education by 1 to C
20,000 credits
Low Passage
Mark Wood, “Mac” to his friends, was eager to follow in his trade of his father—a very successful businessman. He longed to travel and trade far and wide, jumping from one adventure to the next, crossing the Imperium and making a name, and more importantly some “bank”, for himself.

He quickly advanced to the rank of 3rd Officer, picking up important skills through some hairy experiences. He helped stand down an attempted mutiny, coming to the captains aid armed with nothing but a shotgun and a wild eye. After that, he never went far without “Weatherby”.

It was this mutiny that turned Mark on to the study of Computer systems. The would-be mutineers had sabotaged just about every system on the ship in order to undermine the Captain’s ability to do her job. In the forensic aftermath, Mark vowed to educate himself in order to prevent this from ever happening again. While he didn’t quite have the head for business that his father had, he DID have a head for numbers.

During his second term, Mark faced more trials-by-fire as he saw certain vacancies aboard ship that required a learned hand. He spent time learning basic Medical skills, did a fair bit of work assisting with projects outside the ship in Vacc Suit, and—when necessary—cobbled together an edible menu when the ship’s cook was down with the gout.

Mark chose not to reenlist. His captain retired. The new captain and crew, a disagreeable lot. He figured he’d take his chances with a more entrepreneurial disposition.
Last edited by GodricTheWell on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by ffilz »

GodricTheWell wrote:Hello all, I'm Bryan. It took a bit of doing, but I finally got a character that had the Computer Skill.

Merchant 2nd Officer Mark Wood
UPP: B779C3
2 terms
Cr30,000

Skills: Computer-1, Gunnery-1, Medical-1, Shotgun-1, Steward-1, Vacc Suit-1

Benefits: Low Passage
Nice. I probably should have suggested how to use the Hunt option... On the other hand hitting refresh can be fun too...
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#45 Post by GodricTheWell »

Nice. I probably should have suggested how to use the Hunt option...
Do tell?
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#46 Post by ffilz »

GodricTheWell wrote:
Nice. I probably should have suggested how to use the Hunt option...
Do tell?
Here's a totally cheaty hunt for Computer-4:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Gaming ... er&level=4

You could have done this, leaving off the final &level=4 and got a computer knowledgeable character in one click.

Check out the documentation here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~ffilz/Gaming ... acter.html

Note that this is the devilghost generator that I have added to. Paul Gorman has pulled all my changes, but is still hosting a somewhat older version than I am hosting.

&hunt=ship is really useful for starting a group with a ship...

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#47 Post by erkenbrand »

Hello, I've been invited in an yet to roll up a character, using that marvellous character generator web page, but i don't mind either (a) taking an existing character over, or (b) specifically rolling for a certain type of character (crew), and insights what you'd like me to do, please?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:Hello, I've been invited in an yet to roll up a character, using that marvellous character generator web page, but i don't mind either (a) taking an existing character over, or (b) specifically rolling for a certain type of character (crew), and insights what you'd like me to do, please?
And just to help this conversation, here's the current cast of characters: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_81 ... sp=sharing

I've added Bryan's character Mark Wood.

All players should have edit access to the document, if you don't you can request access via Google Docs.

And one final note as we are moving towards liftoff, we should complete purchases. You will want to make sure you have any weapons, armor, and environmental gear you want. The ship's locker may have some stuff... or it may not... Since you mustered out on a world with a war going on, some gear may not be available...

Something that will help is the following price list:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SqE ... sp=sharing

Which should list everything currently available in my campaign. Anything you find missing, we can definitely chat about.

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#49 Post by GodricTheWell »

Somewhere above (or was it in the Kickoff thread) I thought I saw a mention of everyone starting out with a kit of basic equipment. Is that true? What does it include?

This is my first play with Traveller. Not sure what equipment I should have, or how to prioritize what I get... Do I need armor? Or...?
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by ffilz »

GodricTheWell wrote:Somewhere above (or was it in the Kickoff thread) I thought I saw a mention of everyone starting out with a kit of basic equipment. Is that true? What does it include?

This is my first play with Traveller. Not sure what equipment I should have, or how to prioritize what I get... Do I need armor? Or...?
Everyone starts with a basic kit of clothes (casual and uniforms, formal if appropriate for social standing and background) and a cell phone.

Maybe some of the other players have suggestions, the atmosphere here is dense tainted, so you need a filter mask (a combo mask is a good purchase). You should purchase weapons, ammo, and some armor (Combat Armor is NOT available...). There's also things like binoculars and such. The equipment list is actually pretty short, so not a lot to worry about. With your skills, I'd definitely get your own vacc suit, a hand computer would be useful. In addition to a shotgun, you may want a sidearm and a blade weapon (you get advantageous Str bonus for anything short of a broadsword, cutlass would be a good choice, you get +2 with it and it's got good damage). The only gun you get a Dex penalty for is body pistol.

If anyone else wants suggestions on weapons, let me know and I'll check your stats out and make suggestions.

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#51 Post by erkenbrand »

I just wanted to know if you wanted me to take over an existing character or generate my own?

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:I just wanted to know if you wanted me to take over an existing character or generate my own?
We need to wait for response from eris or coil23. Since eris only took on Cpt. Wen Rodriguez after the original player had to drop out, I'm guessing eris will be comfortable having someone else take over one of his PCs (at the point we set folks up with 2 PCs, we only had 2 or 3 players...).

I think it's actually more a case of WHICH PC eris and coil23 pass on to another player rather than if. Also, coil23 passes on either PC, or eris passes on Andy, you may want to roll up your own (though I need to review above to see how entwined in things Andy, Manon, and Stefan already are).

Frank

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#53 Post by erkenbrand »

I'll wait, I don't mind either way, but I've been killing rolling up plenty of characters as a standby.

Do you know of any other Traveller Character Generators, the Java and Windows ones don't work for me.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:I'll wait, I don't mind either way, but I've been killing rolling up plenty of characters as a standby.

Do you know of any other Traveller Character Generators, the Java and Windows ones don't work for me.
No I haven't found any other Classic Traveller generators (you've tried mine that is Javascript or just the standalone Java one?).

If you have books, you can have fun rolling dice, just log all the rolls in the same format (see eris's generation for Andy).

If you don't take over a character and want me to run the generator for you, I'm happy to do so.

Frank

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#55 Post by erkenbrand »

I just used your web page version of the generator and got an awesome character, I'd run with that if one of the others is not up for grabs

Merchant Senior Captain Simon Tanaka 787CBA Age 46
7 terms Cr35,000

Skills: Body Pistol-2, Bribery-1, Mechanical-4, Pilot-4, Streetwise-1, Vacc Suit-1

Benefits: 8,000/yr Retirement Pay, Body Pistol, Foil, Free Trader (new with a 40 year mortgage)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#56 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:I just used your web page version of the generator and got an awesome character, I'd run with that if one of the others is not up for grabs

7 terms Cr35,000

Skills: Body Pistol-2, Bribery-1, Mechanical-4, Pilot-4, Streetwise-1, Vacc Suit-1

Benefits: 8,000/yr Retirement Pay, Body Pistol, Foil, Free Trader (new with a 40 year mortgage)
Well, we don't need another Free Trader captain...

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#57 Post by erkenbrand »

I'll forgo the ship!

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#58 Post by Ramona »

One for cargo and one for Lord Wen Pleasure Palace.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by ffilz »

erkenbrand wrote:I'll forgo the ship!
Actually one option is you contribute 10 years to the mortgage, so the ship only has 20 years mortgage on it.

BTW, did you save the generation log? I like to see that to mine for interesting background bits.

Frank

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#60 Post by erkenbrand »

Generation Log, is this it?

7 terms Cr35,000

Service History:
Number of resets 1718
Rolled attributes: 798B9A
Attempted to enlist in Merchants.
Enlistment roll 5 + 3 vs 7
Enlistment accepted.
Term 1 age 22
Commission roll 7 + 1 vs 4
Commissioned during first term of service as 4th Officer.
Promoted to 3rd Officer.
Learned Mechanical-1
Improved Mechanical-2
Improved Mechanical-3
Learned Pilot-1
Survival roll 8 + 2 vs 5
Reenlistment roll 6 vs 4
Voluntarily reenlisted for second term.
Term 2 age 26
Promotion roll 8 + 1 vs 10
Learned Streetwise-1
Survival roll 7 + 2 vs 5
Reenlistment roll 9 vs 4
Voluntarily reenlisted for third term.
Term 3 age 30
Promoted to 2nd Officer.
Learned Vacc Suit-1
Learned Body Pistol-1
Survival roll 9 + 2 vs 5
Reenlistment roll 11 vs 4
Voluntarily reenlisted for fourth term.
Term 4 age 34
Promotion roll 12 + 1 vs 10
Improved Pilot-2
Promoted to 1st Officer.
Increased dexterity by 1 to A
Improved Mechanical-4
Survival roll 9 + 2 vs 5
Aging strength throw 8 vs 8
Aging dexterity throw 7 vs 7
Aging endurance throw 9 vs 8
Reenlistment roll 11 vs 4
Voluntarily reenlisted for fifth term.
Term 5 age 38
Promoted to Captain.
Increased strength by 1 to 8
Improved Pilot-3
Survival roll 3 + 2 vs 5
Aging strength throw 10 vs 8
Aging dexterity throw 10 vs 7
Aging endurance throw 9 vs 8
Reenlistment roll 9 vs 4
Voluntarily reenlisted for sixth term.
Term 6 age 42
Promotion roll 3 + 1 vs 10
Improved Pilot-4
Survival roll 12 + 2 vs 5
Aging strength throw 4 vs 8
Decreased strength by -1 to 7
Aging dexterity throw 5 vs 7
Decreased dexterity by -1 to 9
Aging endurance throw 10 vs 8
Reenlistment roll 6 vs 4
Voluntarily reenlisted for seventh term.
Term 7 age 46
Promoted to Senior Captain.
Increased strength by 1 to 8
Learned Bribery-1
Survival roll 8 + 2 vs 5
Aging strength throw 7 vs 8
Decreased strength by -1 to 7
Aging dexterity throw 6 vs 7
Decreased dexterity by -1 to 8
Aging endurance throw 6 vs 8
Decreased endurance by -1 to 7
Reenlistment roll 2 vs 4
Mandatory retirement after seventh term.
Mustered Out
5,000 credits
10,000 credits
20,000 credits
Foil
Body Pistol
Improved Body Pistol-2
Increased education by 1 to A
Free Trader
Increased education by 1 to B
Increased intelligence by 1 to C