000 readying the Maize Star

ffilz
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

000 readying the Maize Star

#121 Post by ffilz »

I'll be moving posts into here
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

Re: Kicking off

#122 Post by GodricTheWell »

Eris wrote: Wen opens one door after another, each empty, then opens Mark's door and sees him sitting on the bunk with his duffel next to him.

"Mark?" Wen looks surprised, "Are you just moving in?"
Mark doesn’t register until he hears the captain’s voice, then he jumps.
”Yes Captain! I mean, No sir Captain, er, Mr. Wen...or... I don’t know sir, not for sure... uh it’s complicated Cap- um, Wen. Captain.

Mark drops his bag and looks at his feet.
”I don’t know what I’m doing...”
Eris wrote: "I'm free now to help you set up all the cabins and get them ready for passengers and crew to move in." Wen adds with a grin,"Cleaning supplies and bed linens are in the Ship's Locker. You ready to get to work?"
”No, I get that. I’m talking about the whole thing.” Mark waves his hands at the ship in general. Here goes nothin’!

”My Captain messaged me. Sorry, my previous Captain. And asked me to crew up. It’s a different ship but same old crew. They’re leaving tonight... but I think it’s just a temporary opportunity. Given the conditions here, I think she just wants a crew she trusts to get her off-world and somewhere safe before kicking us loose again. Not sure what I should do...? ”
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

Re: 000 readying the Maize Star

#123 Post by Ramona »

lenusmars wrote:Image

Sara returns to the ship, and decides to check the lounge before heading forward to transfer data into the computer library.

She sees Wen and Ana in the lounge.

"Oh, Hello" She smiles and gives a little wave, though her demeanor is definitely less cheerful than earwlier. "Picked up what I could, Captain. If you'd like to take a look."

She offers her hand computer for him or Ana to look over the data.
Sorry, missed this.
Ana finishes her call and takes the datapad from Sara with a smile and a wink, Wen’s wandered off and their potential cargo man / passenger is still standing there looking somewhat confused at his abrupt dismissal.

“I rather doubt that cargo of yours is going to make its way here all by itself Mr. (insert name), you may want to begin making some fresh inquiries at the starport, oh and given that this is an active warzone we will have to inspect the contents, just to be safe.” She glances up from the datapad and smiles, “You understand of course.”

“Excellent work my dear, Fogbound lives up to its name, robot miners and unfriendly corporate types and a world someone destroyed by accident.” Ana hands the tablet back to Sara, “We’ll have to show that to the skipper when he’s a little less preoccupied.”

The tall muscular woman fishes about in a webbing pouch for a moment before pulling out a resealable bag filled with what looks like dirt, “Coffee? Ordinarily I’d just eat the stuff but that’d be rude and I really need something for that old eyes up guardian before going back outside.”

Ana puts the rifle on the table and starts rummaging about for a coffee pot.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#124 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:“Excellent work my dear, Fogbound lives up to its name, robot miners and unfriendly corporate types and a world someone destroyed by accident.” Ana hands the tablet back to Sara, “We’ll have to show that to the skipper when he’s a little less preoccupied.”
Just to clarify, Shedezar has the robot miners, Fogbound is relatively untapped.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#125 Post by Ramona »

somebody reorganized the house and I couldn’t find anything. :D

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#126 Post by ffilz »

Ramona wrote:somebody reorganized the house and I couldn’t find anything. :D
Yea, sorry, was trying to make it so it was possible to find things... Now all the setting information is collected in the sticky thread.

There's also a bit more house cleaning that could be done...

Frank

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by Eris »

GodricTheWell wrote: Mark doesn’t register until he hears the captain’s voice, then he jumps.
”Yes Captain! I mean, No sir Captain, er, Mr. Wen...or... I don’t know sir, not for sure... uh it’s complicated Cap- um, Wen. Captain.

Mark drops his bag and looks at his feet.
”I don’t know what I’m doing...”
"Just call me Wen, Mark, but if that's a problem for you call me Captain Rodriquez. I won't get upset either way." Wen says with a grin.
Eris wrote: "I'm free now to help you set up all the cabins and get them ready for passengers and crew to move in." Wen adds with a grin,"Cleaning supplies and bed linens are in the Ship's Locker. You ready to get to work?"
GodricTheWell wrote:”No, I get that. I’m talking about the whole thing.” Mark waves his hands at the ship in general. Here goes nothin’!

”My Captain messaged me. Sorry, my previous Captain. And asked me to crew up. It’s a different ship but same old crew. They’re leaving tonight... but I think it’s just a temporary opportunity. Given the conditions here, I think she just wants a crew she trusts to get her off-world and somewhere safe before kicking us loose again. Not sure what I should do...? ”
"Ah!" Wen nods and his smile drops and he says more seriously, "Well, I can't make up your mind for you Mark. I think you'd fit on this ship and have a long term home with us, but if you want to move to the other ship I won't stand in your way."

"Do you want to talk it out with me? Would that help you decide?"
Wen asks, "I'm going to get started prepping the staterooms, as time is short, but if you want time to think or a person to talk to join me in the job. Personally, I've always found actually *doing* something helps me think things through. Maybe it'll help you, too."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#128 Post by GodricTheWell »

Eris wrote:"Do you want to talk it out with me? Would that help you decide?" Wen asks, "I'm going to get started prepping the staterooms, as time is short, but if you want time to think or a person to talk to join me in the job. Personally, I've always found actually *doing* something helps me think things through. Maybe it'll help you, too."
Mark looks at his hands clutching his duffel bag. What was so great about crewing for Filbin? Was it great, or just familiar?

Mark sets his bag on the bunk behind him, and then straightens his shoulders.

"Sorry Wen, just having a the devil you know, or the devil you don't moment. Things have been moving slower than I prefer, so I guess I was just grasping for something more familiar. Plus, most of my interactions with the crew were outside on the platform in masks... it's hard to feel connected to someone in a mask and filter. I'm good. Let's get these rooms set up."

Mark gestures towards the door. As they exit the stateroom, he adds with a smile, "Besides, you got all my money."
insert(wit)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by Eris »

GodricTheWell wrote:
Eris wrote:"Do you want to talk it out with me? Would that help you decide?" Wen asks, "I'm going to get started prepping the staterooms, as time is short, but if you want time to think or a person to talk to join me in the job. Personally, I've always found actually *doing* something helps me think things through. Maybe it'll help you, too."
Mark looks at his hands clutching his duffel bag. What was so great about crewing for Filbin? Was it great, or just familiar?

Mark sets his bag on the bunk behind him, and then straightens his shoulders.

"Sorry Wen, just having a the devil you know, or the devil you don't moment. Things have been moving slower than I prefer, so I guess I was just grasping for something more familiar. Plus, most of my interactions with the crew were outside on the platform in masks... it's hard to feel connected to someone in a mask and filter. I'm good. Let's get these rooms set up."

Mark gestures towards the door. As they exit the stateroom, he adds with a smile, "Besides, you got all my money."
Wen laughs aloud and claps Mark on the shoulder, "That's right, I already deposited your money didn't I?"

"Okay, then, let's get to work!"

Wen leads the way to the ship's locker and he and Mark go to work cleaning and prepping the cabins.

As the pair work Wen says to Mark, "Mark, I worked as a Steward when I joined the Merchant Service. I was lucky enough to be on a Free Trader, though, so my first Captain insisted that I start cross training on the Bridge, in Engineering, and Medic stuff. By the time I left her ship I was able to get a job as a Sensor Operator on my next ship. I never did really learn much Engineering, though."

"How about you? What has your experience been so far in your career?"
Wen asks.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#130 Post by GodricTheWell »

Eris wrote:"How about you? What has your experience been so far in your career?" Wen asks.
"Well, yeah, I was 3rd Officer under Captain Filbin. Stood down an attempted mutiny... survived is more like it. After refreshing crew on a mining asteroid, some of them sliced into our onboard computers and held the ship hostage."

Mark gestures back over his shoulder to the room where he left his duffel... and shotgun.

"And, if it weren't for ol' Weatherby back there... I think you'd probably be talking to someone else right now instead of me.

Anyway, after that I really got in to understanding the ship's computer systems to make sure that never happened to me, or any ship I was on, again. After that, we had a hard time keeping crew for a while and I had to wear several hats... including ship steward... and learned a great deal about emergency meds and running a gun topside. I also spent a fair amount of time outside in a vacc suit doing some repair work... and a little beautification."

Mark smiles at the memory of painting a skull and crossbones over the airlock as a visual warning to would-be pirates.

"The only stewarding I ever did was a result of our cook being laid up with the gout. Everyone took a turn in the kitchen and I didn't know any better and tried to do a good job. With everyone else burning their toast and breaking their dishes so-to-speak, I won the Best Cook aware and got to wear the apron whenever Bollen (that was our Steward) couldn't work. It's a thankless job, and the lowest on my list of aspirations, but... sometimes you just gotta cook dinner for everyone."

"Thanks for asking Wen, I think that probably sums up the highlights."
insert(wit)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by Eris »

GodricTheWell wrote:
Eris wrote:"How about you? What has your experience been so far in your career?" Wen asks.
"Well, yeah, I was 3rd Officer under Captain Filbin. Stood down an attempted mutiny... survived is more like it. After refreshing crew on a mining asteroid, some of them sliced into our onboard computers and held the ship hostage."

Mark gestures back over his shoulder to the room where he left his duffel... and shotgun.

"And, if it weren't for ol' Weatherby back there... I think you'd probably be talking to someone else right now instead of me.

Anyway, after that I really got in to understanding the ship's computer systems to make sure that never happened to me, or any ship I was on, again. After that, we had a hard time keeping crew for a while and I had to wear several hats... including ship steward... and learned a great deal about emergency meds and running a gun topside. I also spent a fair amount of time outside in a vacc suit doing some repair work... and a little beautification."

Mark smiles at the memory of painting a skull and crossbones over the airlock as a visual warning to would-be pirates.

"The only stewarding I ever did was a result of our cook being laid up with the gout. Everyone took a turn in the kitchen and I didn't know any better and tried to do a good job. With everyone else burning their toast and breaking their dishes so-to-speak, I won the Best Cook aware and got to wear the apron whenever Bollen (that was our Steward) couldn't work. It's a thankless job, and the lowest on my list of aspirations, but... sometimes you just gotta cook dinner for everyone."

"Thanks for asking Wen, I think that probably sums up the highlights."
"You're good with computers, eh?" Wen looks up when Mark mentions that,"That's something I never really learned much about. I can figure out where to fly the ship and fly it, and can work the sensors, but loading programs into the computer or writing them isn't something I can do. So you got one on me there."

"I'll be frank with you Mark, I'm hoping to avoid combat of all kinds."Wen grins, "Can't always do it, but a fellow can get hurt when shot and shell start flying around."

Wen will continue to chat while the pair finish cleaning and prepping the cabins and tell a few stories.

"I remember a time on Belchar when I was a young buck about your age. I was walking down the street minding my own business when a woman came flying through a plate glass window of some bar followed by a big brute of a guy. Well she was a lady and I was stupid, so I slugged the brute and suggested we hightail it. Several shots followed us down the street just as we rounded a corner into an alley. We were lucky to lose the bunch in the warrens of that town. Turns out she was jumping ship and her Captain was taking exception as she was their Chief Engineer. Her story was the ship she was jumping was no better than a pack of pirates, and they did act like it, too. Anyway, Donna...her name was Donna Daye...and I had a brief interlude and then I had to leave on my ship and she left on another. Never did bump into her again."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#132 Post by GodricTheWell »

Eris wrote:"You're good with computers, eh?" Wen looks up when Mark mentions that,"That's something I never really learned much about. I can figure out where to fly the ship and fly it, and can work the sensors, but loading programs into the computer or writing them isn't something I can do. So you got one on me there."

"I'll be frank with you Mark, I'm hoping to avoid combat of all kinds."Wen grins, "Can't always do it, but a fellow can get hurt when shot and shell start flying around."

Wen will continue to chat while the pair finish cleaning and prepping the cabins and tell a few stories.
"Hey, I'm with you sir. Once was enough for me. If we can avoid all conflict from here on out... fine by me."
Eris wrote:"I remember a time on Belchar when I was a young buck about your age. I was walking down the street minding my own business when a woman came flying through a plate glass window of some bar followed by a big brute of a guy. Well she was a lady and I was stupid, so I slugged the brute and suggested we hightail it. Several shots followed us down the street just as we rounded a corner into an alley. We were lucky to lose the bunch in the warrens of that town. Turns out she was jumping ship and her Captain was taking exception as she was their Chief Engineer. Her story was the ship she was jumping was no better than a pack of pirates, and they did act like it, too. Anyway, Donna...her name was Donna Daye...and I had a brief interlude and then I had to leave on my ship and she left on another. Never did bump into her again."
As they finish working through the crew's quarters, Mark takes a deep breath, finalizing his decision to stay.

"Alright, I'll head aft and get the staterooms prepped. Call me if you need anything." Mark stows his duffel in the Steward's cabin, locks his shotgun in the foot locker, and heads towards the back of the ship.
insert(wit)

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by ffilz »

See the thread on cargo and passengers for tally of revenue and expenses to this point (there is still 2 tons of cargo space to be dealt with).

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 001 cargo and passenger logistics

#134 Post by Eris »

OOC: I think we're ready to lift, right?

Wen makes a walk around the ship checking all the ports and access panels. He has the ship loaded with cargo and passengers, it is fueled, life support is aboard and she's ready to lift. Star Port Authority has given Mazie Star a launch window and Wen final tour around the ship ends with him boarding and going to the bridge.

"Looks good to go on the outside. How about systems aboard?" he asks.

Andy, from Engineering, comms to the bridge,"Ready to go back here. Power plant is running, lifters have been cycling for two hours so they they're hot and ready. I'm switching control over to the bridge."

"Simon, 60 second countdown then take her up." Wen says to the man seated at the pilot's console.

Wen slips into a chair at the Navigator's console and comms Mark and Ana, "Sixty second countdown, make sure the passengers are seated and buckled up. I know we don't have to do this, but there's a war on out there and we might have to do some fancy flying if anybody starts shooting at us."

Wen brings up the Nav console and looks at the primary and several alternative routes out of the Star Port and up to orbit. He's going to be ready to shift course if it turns out the primary route gets 'hot.'
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 001 cargo and passenger logistics

#135 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote:Wen slips into a chair at the Navigator's console and comms Mark and Ana, "Sixty second countdown, make sure the passengers are seated and buckled up. I know we don't have to do this, but there's a war on out there and we might have to do some fancy flying if anybody starts shooting at us."
Vee ensures that the passengers are ready, and then comms Ana. "Okay, we're all ready to go here in the back."
Last edited by joertexas on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#136 Post by ffilz »

I don't normally call for skill rolls during liftoff, but since you are taking a long dormant ship up for the first time...

Let's have an Engineering roll from Andy (DM +2 for skill) and a Pilot roll from Simon (DM +4 for skill).

Also, the ships finances should be updated for all the purchases and ticket revenue.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#137 Post by lenusmars »

earlier....
Ana wrote: “Excellent work my dear, Fogbound lives up to its name, robot miners and unfriendly corporate types and a world someone destroyed by accident.” Ana hands the tablet back to Sara, “We’ll have to show that to the skipper when he’s a little less preoccupied.”

The tall muscular woman fishes about in a webbing pouch for a moment before pulling out a resealable bag filled with what looks like dirt, “Coffee? Ordinarily I’d just eat the stuff but that’d be rude and I really need something for that old eyes up guardian before going back outside.”

Ana puts the rifle on the table and starts rummaging about for a coffee pot.
Sara beams at Ana: "Thanks. Yes I'd love some. Scouts live on the stuff. Black gold and all that.". She goes about helping Ana with the coffee. It's a nice moment.

later...

Sara helps the others in the back get passengers secured before strapping into a couch herself for liftoff. Her heart is lighter. She's always happy to get back to space. She's tired of weighing too much for her mass, even for her small frame. Sure she's rather be first pilot but Simon is better qualified for take offs and she'll have plenty of 2nd watch hours mostly alone in that chair. It'll be a comfortable routine.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#138 Post by Eris »

ffilz wrote:I don't normally call for skill rolls during liftoff, but since you are taking a long dormant ship up for the first time...

Let's have an Engineering roll from Andy (DM +2 for skill) and a Pilot roll from Simon (DM +4 for skill).

Also, the ships finances should be updated for all the purchases and ticket revenue.
Andy's Engineering Roll: [2d6+2] = 6+2 = 8
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#139 Post by Ramona »

Ana hands Sara a coffee with a smirk, “The scouts I’ve worked with lived on coffee, home-brew whiskey and really ugly shirts. Truth be told I’ve never done much spacing,” the tall muscular woman shrugs, “they usually froze us before shipping us anywhere. I mean I know how to put a vac-suit on and I’ve done the depressurization drills but more often than not they popsicled us before we even broke atmo.”

Before take off Ana does her best to stay busy, checking with Vee and their human cargo. When Wen calls she lets him know that the crew is ready, the cargo is secured and Vee reports the passengers are settling in.

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#140 Post by GodricTheWell »

Mark hears the all-call and picks up his tempo.

Looks like I'm committed.

He quickly stows the last of the things in the galley and crosses over to strap himself in to one of the lounge chairs. As he does, he sees a head poking out of one of the state rooms.

"Better buckle down!" he calls out to the peeping face which quickly vanishes back inside the doorway.

Mark sits down, straps in, and shuts up. He lets out a long, forceful but controlled exhale, and closes his eyes.

This is my least favorite part.

His eyes blink open again, suddenly.

I should have hit the can.
insert(wit)

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”