000 readying the Maize Star

ffilz
GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

Re: Kicking off

#101 Post by GodricTheWell »

Wen laughs, "Yeah, it'll probably be me that ends up unstopping the loo. What I want to know is do we have anyone with Steward experience besides me?"

"I'm not a bad cook, but having someone else to swap off with will give some variety to the meals, and as all of you probably know, a ship travels on its jump drive, but it's crew travels on is stomach."Wen grins.
Mark tried to cover the involuntary squirms that percolated through his body.
Well Mark, my boy, looks like there's no escaping it. No one mutinied when you were in the galley.

Mark waits for a pregnant-enough pause in the conversation before volunteering,"uh... Captain Wen, Sir, I did spend some time in the galley on the, uh, Roughshod Trader. So, if push comes to shove, I suppose, uh... I could take turns or something..."
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by Ramona »

erkenbrand wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana nods at Simon, “We should talk, I might be able to point you in a direction or two.”
Simons nods back, "Any assistance appreciated, its been a while since I've done deals."
“When I finish getting the skip into the system I’ll come looking for you.”Ana says adjusting her body armour.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#103 Post by Eris »

Ramona wrote:
lenusmars wrote:After signing the articles, Sara puts cards for 18000 credits on the table. "Sorry I'm short." Then stops and rolls her eyes and shakes her head ruefully. "I mean short of the buy in, but being short kind of relates to it. They wouldn't let me keep the vacc suit I had fitted out and it's not that easy to get one that fits me well, so..." She shrugs.
Eris wrote:"Sara, can get in touch with your Imperial Scout Service friends here on Tegal and see if you can find out any more data on Fogbound, Shedezar and any other worlds in the vicinity."
Ana slides 2,000cr across the table to Sara,“When you can afford it, you can pay me back, now I need to steal our captain and get him into the system.”
Wen nods, "That's a good way to handle things." then adds with a grin, "And yes, let me make sure everyone has their orders and then you can have your way with me Ana."
OOC: Just want to make sure Mark has his orders if he did go outside before Wen issued them. The get his biometrics into the system and then off to the bank!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by Ramona »

Eris wrote:
Ramona wrote:Ana slides 2,000cr across the table to Sara,“When you can afford it, you can pay me back, now I need to steal our captain and get him into the system.”
Wen nods, "That's a good way to handle things." then adds with a grin, "And yes, let me make sure everyone has their orders and then you can have your way with me Ana."
Ana nods and heads forward in the ship, she grabs the control panel for the iris valve to the cargo hold and gives it a shake before heading through. Turning on the cargo bay lights she looks the cavernous hold over quickly as she heads forward and into the crew compartment.

She makes a few mental notes about the security of the crews quarters while looking for the pursers station which she finds in the first officers quarters. It’s a older, clunkly, tech 11 model, portable but not clean and light like the new ones. It had a standardized iris and palm biometric input scanner, thumb print, photo and even blood typing. A half dozen crew cards were scattered about the desk and a small box containing passenger cards sar next to the machine. It was about the size of a large text book and roughly twice the mass but Ana reckoned she could drop it off a four story building without giving it a second thought.

Taking a seat she turned the machine on and while waiting for it to warm up she pulled out her cell phone and sent off a quick text. *Dingo, Fenrir, you still have those base cans? How many, how much?*

Then she sits back and waits for Wen to show up.

lenusmars
Guide
Guide

#105 Post by lenusmars »

Ramona wrote:“When you can afford it, you can pay me back, now I need to steal our captain and get him into the system.”
"Wow...thank you." Sara says with a shy smile. "I'll pay you back as soon as I can." She lets out a little sigh as she watches Ana head forward, then turns away. Time for business or whatever.

She finds a temporary stowage for her gear, thinking about the establishments where she's likely to find Scouts just off mission and decompressing with food and drink and close human contact... very close, especially after solo jaunts. It's what she would be doing herself if she hadn't been forced out and had to think about getting off-world in a short time. She puts on her filter mask and heads to the most likely spot.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#106 Post by Ramona »

“Hey Simon,” Ana says keying up the internal coms, “you still aboard?”

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#107 Post by GodricTheWell »

Mark sat just below the rim of the berm that protected the platform. He scanned for nefarious movement and flinched at the occasional too close for comfort explosions that percolated across the dark night.
Now where are they going?
He watched as two of the people he’d sort of just met left the ship and headed for the terminal. He wasn’t certain who was who yet, but he could tell that neither of them were the captain.
Some not-so-small anxiety was building in the back of his mind that they might forget he was out here and leave with his gear but without him!
I’ll go in with them when they come back.
He sees the latter departee pick up her pace after an unusually close volley of gunfire tears in to the night.
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#108 Post by Ramona »

Growing tired of waiting for Wen to head forward Ana packs up the ID machine and heads aft looks ng to corner the skipper.

“Wen,” Ana says finally funding him, “no, don’t run off this won’t take long.”

She inserts a thick white plastic card into the machine and places his hand on the the scanner. “Look, skip.” She says waiting for the scanner to finish processesing his palm and finger prints, “I’ve got a line on 10 modular bases, 6 tons, can hold 6 people per. Dingo wants 25k each and at 10k a passenger that’s a tidy little profit margin, way better than 1k per ton of cargo. Dingo might even be open to negotiation on that price.”

Ana holds the machine up to scan his face, “Smile, how about a serious face, look just hold still and don’t fidgit. The passenger fees will cover the costs of the bases and an extra 2ton of cargo each will give them a years worth of supplies. Take them to Fogbound and let them set up a colony.”

“Look here, iris scan next. Anyway,”she continues a blue light shining in his eye, “think about it, if you like it we can contact Vee and Simon and get them on this.”

The machine spits out a card with Wen’s shipboard credentials as Ana pushes a button uploading the information to the ships computer. She gives the card a quick shake before glancing at it and handing it to Wen, the card is warm to the touch. On the front surface is his name, a photograph and some basic information, on the back are a series of radial markings where a great deal more information is encoded.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#109 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:
Ramona wrote:“Skip said something about everyone doing extra shifts turning the crank. I have no idea what that means,” Ana grins as she packs up the ID kit, “Simons looking into some modular bases that have their own life support.”
Vee barks out a surprised laugh. "Right. You missed your calling as a comedian, I see. As long as we don't have equipment failures, it's all good."
“My first calling was as a burlesque dancer but it was way to dangerous so I joined the army, foxholes and firearms.” Ana packs up her ID kit and heads aft, once she’s done setting up ID’s for everyone aboard she calls Mark.

“Mark,” Ana says pulling her mask and goggles on, “come into the airlock and I’ll set up a ships ID for you.”

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by joertexas »

Ramona wrote:“My first calling was as a burlesque dancer but it was way to dangerous so I joined the army, foxholes and firearms.”
"Who knows, now that you're retired, maybe you take take it back up." Vee says with a laugh.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#111 Post by Ramona »

joertexas wrote:"Who knows, now that you're retired, maybe you take take it back up." Vee says with a laugh.
“No one wants that Vee, people seem to value their eyesight a lot more now a days than they did back in the dark ages when I was young.”

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#112 Post by GodricTheWell »

Ramona wrote:“Mark,” Ana says pulling her mask and goggles on, “come into the airlock and I’ll set up a ships ID for you.”
Did someone just say my name?
Mark sits up quickly, lacking precaution, and looks around getting his bearings...
Oh, right absently running his hands over his filter and goggles, reassuring himself that he was properly equipped to be out here cat-napping in an inhospitable atmo.

As he taps his comm, he remembers that it isn't just the atmosphere that's inhospitable. He quickly ducks back below the crest of the berm and whispers,

Uh, right. Okay. Coming.

Mark slides down the berm and makes haste back to the ship. Cycle through the airlock and presents himself to the first person that looks like they know what they're doing... and what he should be doing, for that matter.
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#113 Post by Ramona »

GodricTheWell wrote:
Ramona wrote:“Mark,” Ana says pulling her mask and goggles on, “come into the airlock and I’ll set up a ships ID for you.”
Did someone just say my name?
Mark sits up quickly, lacking precaution, and looks around getting his bearings...
Oh, right absently running his hands over his filter and goggles, reassuring himself that he was properly equipped to be out here cat-napping in an inhospitable atmo.

As he taps his comm, he remembers that it isn't just the atmosphere that's inhospitable. He quickly ducks back below the crest of the berm and whispers,

Uh, right. Okay. Coming.

Mark slides down the berm and makes haste back to the ship. Cycle through the airlock and presents himself to the first person that looks like they know what they're doing... and what he should be doing, for that matter.
Ana looks at Mark, “You’re the fellow with steward experience right?” She’s tall, muscular and no nonsence in her demeanour.

“Nice shotty,” she adds casually inserting a blank ID card into the machine, “love hate relationship with them. Used to have one with an old Suros we affectionately called ‘First in Last out,’ nice piece of kit.”

The scanner processes Mark’s hand slowly. “When we’re done I’ll relieve you outside and you can talk to the Skip, see what he wants you to do.”
Last edited by Ramona on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#114 Post by GodricTheWell »

Ramona wrote: Ana looks at Mark, “You’re the fellow with steward experience right?” She’s tall, muscular and no nonsence in her demeanor.

Not wanting to sabotage his ticket out of town, Mark nods reluctantly.
"In a manner of speaking... yes. Very different ship. Very different circumstances."
He doesn't look Ana in the face because he doesn't want to accidentally commit to something he doesn't quite understand because of a misunderstood nonverbal cue...so he stares at the scanner on his hand.
Ramona wrote: “Nice shotty,” she adds casually inserting a blank ID card into the machine, “love hate relationship with them. Used to have one with an old Suros we affectionately called ‘First in Last out,’ nice piece of kit.”

Glad for a change in topic, "Yeah, although I think if you asked, it would prefer to be last in, first out." Mark sort of laughs, hoping to establish some rapport outside of his prescribed 'function' on the roster.
Mark, my boy, if at first you don't succeed... make em laugh.
Ramona wrote: The scanner processes Mark’s hand slowly. “When we’re done I’ll relieve you outside and you can talk to the Skip, see what he wants you to do.”
Mark looks up quickly.
"Oh, is the Capt—I mean, uh, Wen—is he still onboard? I thought he was out to the banks or something?"

After Mark's hand is free of the scanner, he pulls the rest of his mask/filter/scarf and tosses it on to his duffle, which was still sitting just inside the airlock where he'd left it. I need to get familiar with this ship...
insert(wit)

Ramona
Ranger
Ranger

#115 Post by Ramona »

GodricTheWell wrote:Not wanting to sabotage his ticket out of town, Mark nods reluctantly.
"In a manner of speaking... yes. Very different ship. Very different circumstances."
He doesn't look Ana in the face because he doesn't want to accidentally commit to something he doesn't quite understand because of a misunderstood nonverbal cue...so he stares at the scanner on his hand.
“Last ship I was on they forgot me and a bunch of my guys in the freezers till a bit past our best before date,” Ana frowns, there’s an irritated tone in her voice.
GodricTheWell wrote:Glad for a change in topic, "Yeah, although I think if you asked, it would prefer to be last in, first out." Mark sort of laughs, hoping to establish some rapport outside of his prescribed 'function' on the roster.
Mark, my boy, if at first you don't succeed... make em laugh.
Ana chuckles and shakes her head, “We used to call guys like you Wifos.” She locks her amber eyes on Mark and smirks,“As in, why for you running into the building everyone else is running out of?”
GodricTheWell wrote: Mark looks up quickly.
"Oh, is the Capt—I mean, uh, Wen—is he still onboard? I thought he was out to the banks or something?"

After Mark's hand is free of the scanner, he pulls the rest of his mask/filter/scarf and tosses it on to his duffle, which was still sitting just inside the airlock where he'd left it. I need to get familiar with this ship...
“Skip?” Ana thinks for a moment before offering up a shrug,“well he was last I checked, I mean I’m not his mother, at least I don’t think I’m his mother. That’d be weird huh?”

She images Marks face before the machine finally spits out an ID. “Just find something productive to do and I’m sure you’ll be fine.” She puts the id machine on a shelf in the airlock before grabbing her rifle and pulling her mask and goggles on.

”Stay frosty,” Ana adds offering him a thumbs up before cycling ghe airlock and heading out to stand watch.

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#116 Post by GodricTheWell »

Ramona wrote:Ana chuckles and shakes her head, “We used to call guys like you Wifos.” She locks her amber eyes on Mark and smirks,“As in, why for you running into the building everyone else is running out of?”
"Well, I don't know why anyone else would be running in if they should be running out, but my excuse would be that I probably just forgot my wallet."
Ramona wrote:She images Marks face before the machine finally spits out an ID. “Just find something productive to do and I’m sure you’ll be fine.” She puts the id machine on a shelf in the airlock before grabbing her rifle and pulling her mask and goggles on.
”Stay frosty,” Ana adds offering him a thumbs up before cycling ghe airlock and heading out to stand watch.
Mark gives Ana the thumbs up as she cycles out.
Do something productive...

Mark pulls out his computer and starts to research the ship.
insert(wit)

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#117 Post by GodricTheWell »

Mark strolls through the ship, visually confirming the floorpan from his computer against the physical evidence. It's a ship, alright.
insert(wit)

erkenbrand
Strider
Strider

#118 Post by erkenbrand »

Simon has assumed control of the ship for takeoff readiness, I don't know what he can do about finding cargo or passengers as he has no skills in those areas. As regards moving the story on, I am all for it, but can I ask if this happens can you say so in the thread so we know there is another starting (and can be subscribed too)?

GodricTheWell
Scout
Scout

#119 Post by GodricTheWell »

Mark sees the stranger hurrying out of the ship, clearly his conversation with Ana has concluded.
I know the feeling, buddy. Like having survived eating lunch with a shark and then realizing the shark might still be hungry.

Mark cycles back in to the ship, trying to continue to look as though he's walking with purpose. He maneuvers his way through the ship to the berth he was staking out for his own and retrieves his duffel.
Wasn't I just here!?

Mark takes another deep breath before hoisting his bag to his shoulder. He pops his head out the door to see if the coast is clear. Sounds like everyone is still grouped up by the entrance... maybe give it a little while Marko; let them get busy before you break ranks.

Mark closes his door and sits on the bunk. He stares at his computer.
Cpt. Filbin will be expecting to hear from me soon. Geez, this sucks. Stupid planet!
insert(wit)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by Eris »

Wen is strolling through the ship after leaving Ana and the man with the missing box. He is checking the staterooms to see if they are ready for occupancy.

Starting on the crew side he sees nothing has been done, he thinks to himself, "Well maybe Mark is working on the passenger cabins first."

Wen opens one door after another, each empty, then opens Mark's door and sees him sitting on the bunk with his duffel next to him.

"Mark?" Wen looks surprised, "Are you just moving in?"
"I'm free now to help you set up all the cabins and get them ready for passengers and crew to move in." Wen adds with a grin,"Cleaning supplies and bed linens are in the Ship's Locker. You ready to get to work?"

OOC: You're not getting away without a scene. :p
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Return to “Wine Dark Rift (Classic Traveller)”