It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kicking off
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:26 am 
Guide
Guide

ffilz wrote:
"It's Mr. Kamir. I understand, well, I will consider my options, in the meantime, I am still at least interested in a high passage. I'd like to reserve the option on 10 tons of cargo should I be able to find a way to get the container."

Ana turns her head to look at Wen, “What’s our desired window of departure? Keeping in mind that the longer we wait to see if he can get his cargo together the smaller our window of opportunity is for filling that 10 ton with a shelter and people.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:30 pm 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Ramona wrote:
Is the 2k on top of those prices or included in?

Those are ticket prices, the 2k life support cost is incurred by the ship, so, an empty stateroom nets the ship -2 kcr, a middle passage nets 6 kcr, a high passage nets 8 kcr, and a double occupancy middle passage nets 14 kcr.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm 
Ranger
Ranger

ffilz wrote:
Ramona wrote:

Those are ticket prices, the 2k life support cost is incurred by the ship, so, an empty stateroom nets the ship -2 kcr, a middle passage nets 6 kcr, a high passage nets 8 kcr, and a double occupancy middle passage nets 14 kcr.

Okay, got it. Vee is looking for the passenger area in the terminal.

In The Marches
Zaki Shursiia, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1

Wine Dark Rift
Anevay "Vee" Becker, 886953, Merchant, 1st Officer, 3 terms, 30
Electronics-1, Mechanical-1, Medical-1, Navigation-2, Pilot-1, Pistol-1

CATN
Jiao Donat van Stoddart, 687DE7, Merchant, Engineer, 34
Engineering – 4, Electronics – 4, Brawling – 1, Gun Combat – 1, Ships Boat – 1,
Carousing – 1, J-O-T – 1, Liaison – 1, Blade Combat – 1, Vacc Suit – 0, Grav Vehicle – 0, Computer – 0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:
Ramona wrote:

Okay, got it. Vee is looking for the passenger area in the terminal.

Ok, to cut to the chase, Vee will easily be able to land as many passengers as you want to take. You get one young couple wanting to pay 20 kcr (10 kcr each) to share a stateroom and have the attention and better meals of high passage.

So I think all that is necessary is to update the finance books with the costs of the advanced base modules, the life support costs (including the extra costs for the advanced bases), fuel costs, and the cost of the jump tape and then we can take care of departure.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm 
Ranger
Ranger

ffilz wrote:
Ok, to cut to the chase, Vee will easily be able to land as many passengers as you want to take. You get one young couple wanting to pay 20 kcr (10 kcr each) to share a stateroom and have the attention and better meals of high passage.

Vee does her best to select couples and families first, and then single people who seem to be compatible. She uses her experience with other passengers, and questions each person, asking each of them if they have ever committed a serious crime, or if they have a substance abuse issue. For each of the people she does select, she asks if they have any medical or dietary needs, and reminds them they will be landing on a planet with somewhat fewer amenities.

When she has enough people to fill the staterooms and the low berths, Vee sends a message to Ana and Captain Wen with the names of their passengers, and asks them to call her when the ship is ready to receive them.

In The Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1

Wine Dark Rift

CATN
Carousing – 1, J-O-T – 1, Liaison – 1, Blade Combat – 1, Vacc Suit – 0, Grav Vehicle – 0, Computer – 0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 pm 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:

Vee does her best to select couples and families first, and then single people who seem to be compatible. She uses her experience with other passengers, and questions each person, asking each of them if they have ever committed a serious crime, or if they have a substance abuse issue. For each of the people she does select, she asks if they have any medical or dietary needs, and reminds them they will be landing on a planet with somewhat fewer amenities.

When she has enough people to fill the staterooms and the low berths, Vee sends a message to Ana and Captain Wen with the names of their passengers, and asks them to call her when the ship is ready to receive them.

Are you also filling the advanced bases at this time?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 am 
Ranger
Ranger

ffilz wrote:
Are you also filling the advanced bases at this time?

Not yet.

In The Marches

Wine Dark Rift

CATN

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am 
Strider
Strider

Mark listens to all the back and forth between the Captain, Ana and Vee and the guy with the problems. He's thinking the last place he wants to be is on an even more desolate planet (Fogbound) with a bunch of refugees. Short flashbacks of the attempted mutiny rattle his mind. Colleagues, friends, turned against each other when the chips were down. Do I want to go through all that again?

As he was thinking this through, his comm blinked with an urgent message. It was from his former Captain, Cpt. Filbin.

Wood. Retirement sucks. Heading back out. Still alive? Pack your bags.

Mark lifted his head up, looking around at this new ship, this new crew, looking for some visual cue to make everything clear.

Time to roll the dice. Should I stay? Or, should I go?

Hey gang, I keep forgetting to check in on this game. I then start panicking, thinking that everyone is wondering where I'm at. But, when I check in, I see that I haven't really missed much. I have to keep going back several pages and reading through to remind myself who is where and doing what...I am not at all familiar with all the particulars for prepping for space flight: cargo tonnage, oxygen consumption, etc. so it's difficult for me to get IN to all that.
I appreciate the knowledge, I wish I had it, but I don't (at least not yet). I'm all in for playing a narrative game, but the data/details stuff isn't going to profit much from my contributions.
This might be a more crunchy game than I was looking for, and definitely slower than I'd prefer. If these first 18 pages are setting the stage for how this game is going to play out... then I, or rather Mark, is probably going to bail and rejoin his old captain.
I don't want to leave in a lame way, I'm up for roleplaying it if it's of interest to anyone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

GodricTheWell wrote:
Mark listens to all the back and forth between the Captain, Ana and Vee and the guy with the problems. He's thinking the last place he wants to be is on an even more desolate planet (Fogbound) with a bunch of refugees. Short flashbacks of the attempted mutiny rattle his mind. Colleagues, friends, turned against each other when the chips were down. Do I want to go through all that again?

As he was thinking this through, his comm blinked with an urgent message. It was from his former Captain, Cpt. Filbin.

Wood. Retirement sucks. Heading back out. Still alive? Pack your bags.

Mark lifted his head up, looking around at this new ship, this new crew, looking for some visual cue to make everything clear.

Time to roll the dice. Should I stay? Or, should I go?

Hey gang, I keep forgetting to check in on this game. I then start panicking, thinking that everyone is wondering where I'm at. But, when I check in, I see that I haven't really missed much. I have to keep going back several pages and reading through to remind myself who is where and doing what...I am not at all familiar with all the particulars for prepping for space flight: cargo tonnage, oxygen consumption, etc. so it's difficult for me to get IN to all that.
I appreciate the knowledge, I wish I had it, but I don't (at least not yet). I'm all in for playing a narrative game, but the data/details stuff isn't going to profit much from my contributions.
This might be a more crunchy game than I was looking for, and definitely slower than I'd prefer. If these first 18 pages are setting the stage for how this game is going to play out... then I, or rather Mark, is probably going to bail and rejoin his old captain.
I don't want to leave in a lame way, I'm up for roleplaying it if it's of interest to anyone.

What are other folks feeling? It has been dragging on, and I'm all for expediting getting on with things, and in fact have been trying to do so. Are we getting stuck waiting for responses from people?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 pm 
Ranger
Ranger

ffilz wrote:
What are other folks feeling? It has been dragging on, and I'm all for expediting getting on with things, and in fact have been trying to do so. Are we getting stuck waiting for responses from people?

I'm fine with the game's pace, but I can keep up with whatever pace you set.

In The Marches

Wine Dark Rift

CATN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 am 
Guide
Guide

joertexas wrote:
ffilz wrote:

I'm fine with the game's pace, but I can keep up with whatever pace you set.

It’s a non face to face game and people have lives, you’ll always be waiting on people to reply. It’s the nature of the beast. I tend to give people 3 days and then I just assume they’re not replying anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:27 am 
Strider
Strider

I've missed out a few weeks with real life work, but I would like to get back in the game. At the moment the posting format is confusing to me because it's not what I am used to. I'm not into shoehorning the game into the way I want it to be, but the only idea I'd like to put forward is that the GM occasionally posts a summary of what all the characters are doing (even if they haven't done anything since last time), and perhaps in a different format so it is obvious, that way we can catch up easily. Thanks. Character post to follow (once I know what he's doing)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:37 pm 
Strider
Strider

Ramona wrote:
It’s a non face to face game and people have lives, you’ll always be waiting on people to reply. It’s the nature of the beast. I tend to give people 3 days and then I just assume they’re not replying anytime soon.

Oh weird, this whole time I was thinking we were sitting around the table, face to face. :lol:
Seriously though, I understand that PbP's come in many forms. And some go weeks with little to no activity, and some require a post a day, and everywhere in between. I was just raising the flag to see how other people felt about the pace. For me, it's too slow. I lose continuity and end up trying to fill in my time with other PbP games, or planning for IRL games. Then, I forget about this one, and become the very type of player that I don't want to become—mainly,
an infrequent or AWOL PC.

Mark exhales long and slow, as he taps his reply to his former captain and rubs his eyes.
Frick!

He stands up and casually makes his way towards the exit, affecting an air of being engaged in some task that requires him outside. He avoids eye contact as he sidesteps Caption Wen and the others who are deep in conversation with some new guy about containers and mining equipment. He slips his filter back in place and cycles back out into the night.
Sianara suckers!

Mark walks briskly across the platform, excitement growing in his mind—a longing for the familiar—as he anticipates things going back to normal. He receives a new message on his handheld when he remembers...
My duffel!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:03 pm 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

erkenbrand wrote:
I've missed out a few weeks with real life work, but I would like to get back in the game. At the moment the posting format is confusing to me because it's not what I am used to. I'm not into shoehorning the game into the way I want it to be, but the only idea I'd like to put forward is that the GM occasionally posts a summary of what all the characters are doing (even if they haven't done anything since last time), and perhaps in a different format so it is obvious, that way we can catch up easily. Thanks. Character post to follow (once I know what he's doing)

I admit I'm getting a bit lost myself. Let's start with everyone posting what they think they're doing. Also, if you could indicate your comfort level with how things are progressing.

It didn't help that I had two weeks during the holiday season where I was not able to be very attentive, and I've sort of allowed folks to role play along.

Now my perception of the current state of things:

Vee is booking all the available passenger staterooms - this process can be considered essentially complete unless there is desire for additional role play of vetting passengers. I don't know if she has solicited low passengers yet.

Ana has a proposal for shipping Advanced Base modules and additional colonization supplies in the hold. The material logistics of this are essentially complete but there has been no booking of colonists yet.

There has been a conversation with Mr. Kamir about his container and he seems interested in passage without it (and can be considered booked).

I assume the ship is being brought up to power, and arrangements made for fuel and life support. I'm not quite sure who is working on that.

Captain Wen has established a bank account and assured that all paperwork is in order.

I know some folks are enjoying the role play interchanges, and I certainly don't want to shut them down, but I'd like to keep the pace rolling enough that folks who perhaps are more quiet will still feel like things are moving

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm 
Strider
Strider

ffilz wrote:
I admit I'm getting a bit lost myself. Let's start with everyone posting what they think they're doing. Also, if you could indicate your comfort level with how things are progressing.

It didn't help that I had two weeks during the holiday season where I was not able to be very attentive, and I've sort of allowed folks to role play along.

Vee is booking all the available passenger staterooms.
Ana has a proposal for shipping Advanced Base modules and additional colonization supplies in the hold.
There has been a conversation with Mr. Kamir about his container and he seems interested in passage without it (and can be considered booked).
I assume the ship is being brought up to power, and arrangements made for fuel and life support. I'm not quite sure who is working on that.
Captain Wen has established a bank account and assured that all paperwork is in order.

Mark is currently between the ship and the station trying to decide if he's jumping ship. He's got another offer with his previous captain. But he's left his duffel, and credits, with Captain Wen.

ffilz wrote:
[ooc]I know some folks are enjoying the role play interchanges, and I certainly don't want to shut them down, but I'd like to keep the pace rolling enough that folks who perhaps are more quiet will still feel like things are moving

My comfort level is mixed. I've really enjoyed the actual game play. I feel like I could learn a lot about the Traveller universe from participating with this crew of experienced players. But, the pace... has got me down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:39 pm 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

GodricTheWell wrote:
ffilz wrote:

Vee is booking all the available passenger staterooms.
Ana has a proposal for shipping Advanced Base modules and additional colonization supplies in the hold.

Mark is currently between the ship and the station trying to decide if he's jumping ship. He's got another offer with his previous captain. But he's left his duffel, and credits, with Captain Wen.

ffilz wrote:
[ooc]I know some folks are enjoying the role play interchanges, and I certainly don't want to shut them down, but I'd like to keep the pace rolling enough that folks who perhaps are more quiet will still feel like things are moving

My comfort level is mixed. I've really enjoyed the actual game play. I feel like I could learn a lot about the Traveller universe from participating with this crew of experienced players. But, the pace... has got me down.

I'm trying to see if I can nudge to pick up the pace a bit. I don't think I've had to call for a single skill roll yet... You could always hang tight for another week or two of play and see if things start to feel like they are moving forward. Mark will be a valuable PC (only character with Computer, 2nd character after the captain with Steward (you should actually be with Vee recruiting passengers...), one of two with Vacc Suit skill, actually a really useful PC and a young one at only two terms - if you folks run into psionics in the campaign, you could even come out with a really cool ability...). But I also understand the frustration with slow progress...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:40 pm 
Runner
Runner

Sara returns to the ship, and decides to check the lounge before heading forward to transfer data into the computer library.

She sees Wen and Ana in the lounge.

"Oh, Hello" She smiles and gives a little wave, though her demeanor is definitely less cheerful than earlier. "Picked up what I could, Captain. If you'd like to take a look."

She offers her hand computer for him or Ana to look over the data.

ffliz wrote:
Nothing more on Fogbound than has already been presented.

Shedezar has a gas giant mine that is largely run by robots and a small anti-social human administration.

Runaway environment has swamped Bistron and flooded all it's cities. The Class B high port still operates. There is sure to be sunken wealth for those willing to brave the freak storms that wrack the world.

Okay so my feelings. This one is rolling pretty slow at the moment. I figured it would at the beginning due to the holidays but I would like a faster pace. My last post was late November and not much has changed. Admittedlly I should have posted more, but I defnitely haven't felt my usual sense of urgency. At this rate a single 'session' could take a year. That's a pretty long-term commitment and ups the risk of fade quite a bit, IME.

Pbp has been my main mode of play for several years. I've rarely been involved in one where the post rate wasn't at least once per working day. This is a much different style than I'm accustomed to, so I'm acclimatizing to many things about it at the moment, and maybe the pace is one of them.

The long ongoing continuum of a thread is one, for example. The longer the thread gets, the harder to find things. In most of the games I've been in, we've tended to split threads by scene and keep track of who is in what scene by abbreviations in the thread title. (Example "Clever Scene Title - Ana 1.0 Wen 1.0 Sara 1.0") Adding people/numbers as necessary if others pass into that scene. I'm also used to splitting out most (not all) of the ooc discussion into a seperate thread and/or consistent chat like hangouts, discord, or slack.

I don't mean to impose or suggest we should do things that way, though. I'm good to follow and see what develops for now, but yeah, this pace is pretty pokey.

Last edited by lenusmars on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:32 pm 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

lenusmars wrote:

Sara returns to the ship. Checking the lounge before heading forward to transfer data into the computer library.

She sees Wen and Ana in the lounge.

"Oh, Hello" She smiles and gives a little wave and a smile, though her demeanor is definitely less cheerful than earlier. "Picked up what I could, Captain. If you'd like to take a look."

She offers her hand computer for him or Ana to look over the data.

ffliz wrote:
Nothing more on Fogbound than has already been presented.

Shedezar has a gas giant mine that is largely run by robots and a small anti-social human administration.

Runaway environment has swamped Bistron and flooded all it's cities. The Class B high port still operates. There is sure to be sunken wealth for those willing to brave the freak storms that wrack the world.

Okay so my feelings. This one is rolling pretty slow at the moment. I figured it would at the beginning due to the holidays but I would like a faster pace. My last post was late November and not much has changed. Admittedlly I should have posted more, but I defnitely haven't felt my usual sense of urgency. At this rate a single 'session' could take a year. That's a pretty long-term commitment and ups the risk of fade quite a bit, IME.

Pbp has been my main mode of play for several years. I've rarely been involved in one where the post rate wasn't at least once per working day. This is a much different style than I'm accustomed to, so I'm acclimatizing to many things about it at the moment, and maybe the pace is one of them.

The long ongoing continuum of a thread is one, for example. The longer the thread gets, the harder to find things. In most of the games I've been in, we've tended to split threads by scene and keep track of who is in what scene by abbreviations in the thread title. (Example "Clever Scene Title - Ana 1.0 Wen 1.0 Sara 1.0") Adding people/numbers as necessary if others pass into that scene. I'm also used to splitting out most (not all) of the ooc discussion into a seperate thread and/or consistent chat like hangouts, discord, or slack.

I don't mean to impose or suggest we should do things that way, though. I'm good to follow and see what develops for now, but yeah, this pace is pretty pokey.

Good point on thread splitting. I might move some posts around and split things up, we certainly will start a new thread once we've resolved the immediate issues at hand. I'm hoping Eris/Wen will chime in soon and we can gain some traction.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm 
Guide
Guide

I find in pbp and pbem it’s the gm who sets the pace, players will happily wander off into the weeds for months on end if you let them, it’s herding cats. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 pm 
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

In the interests of moving things along, what input do people feel is needed to move forward to the next scene?

Once we have an understanding there, I will start a new thread for the new scene.

I think it would help if people are waiting for a specific response for that to be indicated if it isn't clear from the dialog or action description.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next