BATTLETECH 3025: Mechwarrior (RPG/Tactical Game) Part I

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

BATTLETECH 3025: Mechwarrior (RPG/Tactical Game) Part I

#1 Post by max_vale »

Kraan Raine Valley; Planet Alana's World; Periphery near Liao/Davion border; January 3rd; 3025

It wasn't until AFTER they had been dropped off on this sparsely inhabited; non-significant Periphery planet known as Alana's World that Captain Henry 'Hank' Harigan learned that his Company of Mercenary Battlemechs had been used as bait/sacrifical lambs in a military campaign planned by none other than Prince Hanse 'The Fox' Davion himself. The Captain's curses upon learning of this fact had gone out on the open comms frequency the entire Company used and his troops were more than a little surprised at thier Leader's heretofore unknown grasp of the language....

A pirate band known as 'Phan's Phantoms' had been raiding both Davion and Liao worlds over the past couple of years and due to the high tension along the border of the two hostile States; nothing of any real substance had been done to punish the increasingly bold marauders. Finally, after a particularly successful raid by the Pirates that thoroughly thrashed some Conventional Militia units and a Mercenary Mech unit known as 'Wylie's Coyotes' on Bromhead; Prince Hanse Davion decided to take some action to address this issue....

First, he moved a couple of House conventional units and a Federated Suns Mech unit; the 15th Deneb Light Cavalry along with a Mercenary Mech Company; Harigan's Hellions; to Bromhead to pick up the pieces of the wreckage and to get ready for a retribution mission. It was soon determined that the Pirates had about a Regiment's worth of Mechs and were operating mostly out of two Periphery planets; Hellhole and Alana's World. Hanse declared that the Pirate's main base was on Hellhole and most of thier supplies and support facilities would have been set up on Alana's World; so he would assign the 15th Deneb the mission of hitting the pirates main force at Hellhole while the Conventional unit (34th Capellan March Hammers) and Harigan's Hellions would hit the 'lightly defended' planet of Alana's World at the same time. However, the Fox....worried about possible moles or perhaps just being extra tricky; had actually come to the conclusion that it was ALANA'S WORLD where most of the pirates would be found; while Hellhole would house most of the supplies and suport systems for the pirate group. He would use Harigan's Hellions and the 34th Hammers to tie up the Pirates long enough to take out their vital supplies and support systems with the 15th Deneb; and THEN hit the distracted pirates who would have no replacement ammo/parts/etc.

Harigan found this out only AFTER the Dropships had peeled off soon after depositing them on the ground and leaving them little choice but to keep to thier mission objective and hope they could take the pirates' by surprise. The 34th Hammers were soon engaged with a Pirate Company of Mechs; while the Hellions were sweeping through the lightly wounded Kraan Raine Valley; which was up in the hills and in which they were soon coming under Artillery fire from a SNIPER tracked artillery piece. Annoyed by the light, harassing fire; Captain Harigan dispatched LT Dekker-Sandoval and his Recon Lance to sweep to the East and attempt to take out the Arty piece from the flank.

An hour later; LT Dekker-Sandoval and his four Mech Lance were just inside of 2 clicks from the hilltop position where the Sniper Piece was occasionally lobbing a shell towards the other Hellions and a grin came over the young officer's lips as it seemed the Pirates had NO idea he and his Lance were there. His second-in-command SGT Volkov; after using his WASP's Jump Jets a few minutes ago to leap a particularly thick copse of trees; had briefly seen a pair of Jeeps behind the hilltop the Arty piece was perched on; but even with the SRM-2 or Twin Small Lasers the jeeps might be mounting; his Lance had the HEAVY advantage in any fight.....

Surveying the terrain; he could seen a few copses of trees here and there; such as the one right in front of his Lance and maybe 700 meters away, the shores of a small pond/lake could be seen and another 800 or so meters beyond that was the rockey ridge upon which the SNIPER Artillery piece was perched high upon.....almost 2 clicks (2,000 meters or 2 KM) away. The only weapon in his Lance that could reach that far was Argyle's Medium Autocannon; but they could close the distance in no time at all.....

At about that same moment; Dekker-Sandoval's Lance's comms connection to the rest of the Hellions Company was suddenly cut-off. Almost certainly jamming.....which usually preceded some kind of attack. The young Mech Knight's lips tightened in anger.....NOW was the time to make these pirates pay!

OOC: Quick note; I've made each Hex on a B-Tech map equal 100 meters for both simplicty's sake and because the 30 meter a hex range is just WAAAAYYYY too short....hell 100 meters a hex is probably too short...but it's a lot better than 30!

Anyway, I'll attach a couple of pics of the map to hopefully show the situation....if any of you have the original, basic Battletech Map (pond/lake in the center; hills to the right; woods here and there); the Recon Lance is in the bottom left corner.....Locust in hex 0214; Clint in hex 0216; Jenner in hex 0416, Wasp in hex 0516 (all of the hexes are Open, no Elevaton, no terrain feature spaces). Sniper Arty piece is on Level 3 Elevation hill hex 1403 facing South East (assuming North is towards the top of the Map...i.e. the row ending in 01 for each Hex); and though the Mechs have no LOS to them; the two Jeeps are in Hexes 1203 and 1104. The Sniper CAN be see as it is on a hilltop at Elevation 3...though it's 17-19 hexes away. Please let me know if people have issues/questions/concerns, thanks!
Attachments
IMG_5231.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG (133.04 KiB) Viewed 1031 times

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: BATTLETECH 3025: Mechwarrior (RPG/Tactical Game) Part I

#2 Post by max_vale »

Kraan Raine Valley; Planet Alana's World; Periphery near Liao/Davion border; January 3rd; 3025

LT Epsilon Dekker-Sandoval checked the readouts on his Jenner battlemech's screens in the cockpit and grunted in satisfaction that everything seemed to be fully functioning. Up ahead, the Pirate Sniper artillery piece and the pair of Jeeps seemed completely oblivous to the presence of his Recon Lance....

In front of him and slightly to his right was SGT Volkov's Wasp; looking like a cautious solider carrying its Rifle-like Medium Laser in its hands and slighlty crouched, ready for action....

To his left front was Mechwarrior Kray's Locust; its small, narrow-legged profile looking ready to leap into a high-speed run at the drop of a hat....

To his left was Mechwarrior 'Gargle' Argyle's Clint battlemech; it's right arm mounted Autocannon leveled at the enemy and ready to go....

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by wolfpack »

Epsilon looks at his computer readout and quickly formulates a plan.

We have them by surprise, we need to rush and strike before they can react.

Kray you and I can get in firing range of the artillery immediately along the right flank.

Argyle you can work your way forward to the left flank and hit it with your autocannon.

Sgt work your way around the left flank using cover to take out the jeeps. Hopefully we can destroy the artillery quickly.

On my mark

3, 2, 1, MARK

Epsilon will run his jenner up (i think it is 1009) up 6 hexes 1 turn forward 4 hexes (10 hexes movement) targeting the artillery and fire 3 medium lasers.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

SGT Volkov listens to orders and executes them as directed. "Yes sir." heading left after the count to use cover and getting in range to fire at the jeeps.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kray

Kray races forward on the mark, running to 1309, then turning north? towards the artillery. He then fires his laser at the artillery.
"Bout time we get some action, innit? I was fixin ready to bo peep."

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by max_vale »

The quiet mountain valley on Alana's World suddenly echoed with the rumbling sounds of 20-40 ton Mechs running, firing Lasers and Autocannons and lifting into the Sky on plasma-fire Jump Jets....

LT Epsilon Dekker-Sandoval gives orders to his Lance and then immediately has his Jenner Mech burst into a Run, angling towards the ridge with the Sniper Artillery vehicle perched upon its top. Just as he gets into range for his Medium Lasers; he triggers all 3, causing a sudden burst of heat to wash over him and cause sweat to break out all over his body; though the Mechs heat sinks and his Cooling Vest quickly bring down most of it. The Federated Suns native curses as his 3 Laser bolts miss the target....

SGT Ivan Volkov, following his Lance leader's orders, fires his Wasp's Jump Jets; alighting to the air and coming down to the North, near a copse of woods and JUST out of range for his Medium Laser and his SRM-2 launcher to be able to hit the closest Jeep. His Mech lands with legs crouched to absorb the impact and a moment later, the 40 ton Clint Mech belonging to his Lance mate Gary 'Gargle' Argyle came thundering up on his left; nearly falling on its face when it briefly stumbled, but ended standing upright with its Right Arm raised and leveled at the pirate Artillery Piece situated on a ridge about 1,000 meters away. The spent rounds from a burst fired by that same Autocannon echoed through Volkov's cockpit due to the external audio-pickups his Mech mounted; but the SGT frowned when he saw that 'Gargle's' aim was off and the rounds impacted along the ridge line below the Sniper; tearing up rock but not doing any harm to the pirates....

Mechwarrior Hoxton Kray raced his Locust to the North East at maximum speed; its narrow, awkward-looking gait belaying the fact that the Mech was incredibly fast. At the end of his run, he turned slightly to the North and cut loose a bolt from his Medium Laser that slammed into the rear armor of the Sniper Artillery piece and turned some of the metal-ceramic armor into slag and clearly caused some burning of some components as smoke began to rise from the wounded vehicle. The fact that the Vehicle began to ponderously move on its treads though showed that it was still in the fight...

All of the members of the Recon Lance noticed that several pirates; looking like scurrying ants on their sensors' vid-feeds were moving towards the two armed Jeeps and that the Artillery Piece was moving to bring its barrel around and pointed their way.....

OOC: I will put up a picture of the new positions of everyone's Mechs tonight/tomorrow; but for now I have Epislon in Hex 1009 facing North; Volkov in Hex 0410 facing North East (sorry if you didn't want to Jump....I COULD have had you run through the Light Wounds and turned a couple of times, but this way you're one Hex closer to the Enemy and still on the Left Flank); Kray is in Hex 1309 facing North)

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by max_vale »

OOC: Updated Picture of the Situation at the end of Round 1. Mechs left to right are Hoxton's Locust; Epsilon's Jenner; Ivan's Wasp and 'Gargle's' Clint
BT2.jpg
BT2.jpg (120.66 KiB) Viewed 974 times

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by wolfpack »

Hoxton and I will handle the artillery. you two take out the jeeps.

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan "Roger that sir." the Sargent will wait watch the jeeps before acting.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kray

"Aye, Chief"

Kray walks forward to 1505, faces north and fires his laser again at the artillery vehicle.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by wolfpack »

epsilon will make 1 facing movement, 4 hexes forward, a facing movement , and 1 more hex forward to what look like 1406.

5 spaces total movement at walking speed, with level 1 cover, 3 hexes away and facing the artillery. epsilon will do an alpha strike and unload all of his weapons on the artillery 3 medium lasers and a srm 6.

GreyWolfVT

#12 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan will move within 3 hexes of the jeeps and fire at them, though he will try to remain near some cover even if it is only trees and bushes.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by max_vale »

On the small, insignificant Periphery planet known as Alana's World a battle between the 4 Mechs of the Recon Lance of the Mercenary Company known as 'Harrigan's Hellions' and a detachment of Pirate forces consisting of a treaded Artillery 'Sniper' Vehicle and a pair of armed Jeeps continued to rage....

The damaged Pirate 'Sniper' Artillery Piece executed a quick 3 point turn in a clear attempt to get into position to start lobbing shells at Kray's Locust and Epsilon's Jenner.....

LT Episolon Dekker-Sandoval reacted quickly and moved his 35 ton Jenner forward and when he closed to within 300 meters of the Pirate Artillery pieces; he cut loose with his war-machine's 3 Medium Lasers and a volley of 6 Short Range Missiles. His Mech experienced another burst of heat that caused sweat to pour down his face; but the young officer never noticed as he tracked his weapons fire. While one Laser missed high; the other two hit solidly as did 4 of the 6 missiles and the Artillery Piece exploded into a pile of scrap 'cooking' off shells.....

Hoxton Kray had maneuvered his Locust battlemech to within 200 meters of the Sniper when it was destroyed by his Commanding Officer's fire. The Mechwarrior with a 'shady' reputation could do littler more than curse at his missed chance to land a telling blow; but nonthless, he was glad his Lance Leader had destroyed the Pirate vehicle....

Mechwarrior 'Gargle' moved his 40 ton Clint Mech forward as the 2 Pirate Jeeps came alive and raced forward to bring thier SRM-2 launcher (on one Jeep) and twin Light Laser Turret (on the other Jeep) into range to fire upon the Mechs of the Recon Lance. 'Gargle' was going to do his best to make sure THAT didn't happen. As the missile-equipped Jeep raced to within 300 meters; the Steiner born Mechwarrior saw that this meant the Pirate vehicle was inside the 'minimum effective' range of his Medium Autocannon; so instead he triggered off a pair of shots from the 2 Medium Lasers his Mech mounted. He missed with one; but the other scored a direct hit on the front engine block of the Jeep and with a bright orange-yellow explosion; the Jeep burst into flame and crashed over onto its side as the flames began to lick at the rubber tires and slowly melt the frame of the wrecked wheeled vehicle....

Finally, SGT Volkov got into the action by moving his Wasp Mech forward and entering into a small pool or lake of water that was about 6 meters deep; effectively leaving his hip-mounted SRM-2 launcher under water and therefore; not effective. His 'Rifle-like' Medium Laser however was carried in his Mech's right arm, and he took careful aim and cut loose a blast at the Twin Light-Laser equipped Jeep; scoring a hit that passed into and through the crew compartment of the vehicle; causing its windows to burst out and the Jeep to swerve erratically for a moment before turning over onto its side in a crash that left the vehicle a wreck....

The Mechwarriors were all congratulating themselves and each other over the swift defeat of the Pirate vehicles when thier Sensors began screaming at them....a Lance of 4 Mechs was closing on them rapidly....

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by wolfpack »

Lance, everyone take defensive positions.

depending on where the mechs are coming from Epsilon will take a defensive position, and will radio back to the command lance watching his computer readout to identify size and types of mechs incoming.

Command 1 this is Recon 1. the artillery has been eliminated but we have multiple incoming mechs on our position.

GreyWolfVT

#15 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan radios back to the LT "Sir shall we take to the high ground, or head for cover?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by wolfpack »

Until we know what we are facing use cover, stay partially protected behind elevation or in heavier woodlands.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Kray

Hoxton Kray moves to 1406, hunkers down and watches his sensors for incoming.

"Where 're ya 'idin' luv?"

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by max_vale »

BT4.JPG
BT4.JPG (120.55 KiB) Viewed 883 times

OOC: The picture's not the greatest....the Mech that can't be seen is the bottom right corner of the picture is a Catapult. The Stinger is 9 Hexes away from the Wasp and 10 hexes from the Locust and Jenner. The Catapult is also 9 Hexes away from the Wasp; but 13 from the Jenner and 14 from the Locust. The Rifleman is 9 hexes away from the Locust; 8 from the Jenner and 9 from the Wasp while the Vindicator is 8 from the Jenner; 10 from the Locust and 9 from the Wasp

The four members of Dekker-Sandoval's Recon Lance had very little time to savor their quick elimination of the Pirate Sniper Artillery piece and two jeeps as a Lance of Pirate Mechs suddenly burst on the scene; clearly having been hidden in some sensor-absorbing bunkers until just now; catching the Mercenary Mechwarriors by surprise....

From the South; a pair of Mechs came up; a hulking 60 ton Rifleman Heavy Mech with arms that each ended in the twin barrels of a Medium Autocannon and a Large Laser; while landing on a flat section of hill top on plasma-jet trails from its Jump Jets was a 45 ton Vindicator Medium Mech; whose right arm ended in a PPC barrel. These two Mechs raised their arms and opened fire on Hoxton and Epsilon's Mechs....

From the North-West came a Light, 20 ton Stinger Mech that was a near-twin of Volkov's Wasp; and it raised its Right Arm which held a Rifle-like Medium Laser and pointed it at 'Gargle's' Clint and opened fire. From the other side of a Copse of Woods came the heaviest Mech on the field; a 65 ton Catapult; who cut loose a volley of 30 long-range missiles from the two LRM-15 packs that made up its arms at SGT Volkov; and also it fired 2 of its 4 torso-mounted Medium Lasers at Mechwarrior Argyle's mech as well....

Mechwarrior Kray let out a string of curses as the blue-white PPC bolt from the enemy Vindicator lanced into and thru the Right Rear Torso of his Mech, causing significant Internal damage; including the destruction of a Heat Sink; which caused greenish coolant to splash every part of his Mech as it lurched hard forward from the damage*; though Hoxton managed to keep his wounded machine upright. Glancing at his flashing damage schematic; it looked like the controls that connected the SRM-2 on the Right arm had been heavily damaged or destroyed from the PPC hit, so that weapon was out for the foreseeable future. His Medium Laser and the Left Arm SRM-2 though still had green lights indicated they were fully operational*....

LT Epsilon-Dekker felt his 35 ton Jenner shake and twitch convulsively as a hail of Autocannon rounds slammed into his machine; along with a single Large Laser bolt that tore into and melted some of his machine's armor and myomer 'muscles' that connect his Mech's Right Arm to the Body; and with a snapping of wires and dripping bits of slag; the Right Arm and its mounted Medium Laser fell off of his Jenner and hit the ground; causing the Lance Commander to have to suddenly compensate for his Mech's new, strange sense of balance. In addition; two bursts of Autocannon rounds had slammed into the Rear Left Torso of his Mech and left gaping holes through the now shattered Armor patches and smashed apart one of his 5 Jump Jets**...

SGT Volkov was about to have his Mech wade out of the water when a hail of missiles suddenly kicked up splashes all around his Mech and then more distressingly; several warheads landed in a tight cluster right where his Mech's Left Arm met the Torso. With a bright flash and a huge splash, his Light Mech's Left Arm snapped off and sunk into the pond's depths; causing the NCO to curse but at the same time be glad that he still had his Right Arm, which held his Medium Laser***....

Mechwarrior Argyle had barely stopped crowing over destroying the Pirate Jeep when the two Mechs suddenly appeared on his left flank. One of the 3 Medium Lasers zipped just past his Mech, but the other two converged on his Mech's Head and it was only some 6th sense impulse that allowed the Mechwarrior to instinctively yank the Ejection handle just before the beams tore through the Cockpit and 'decapitated' his 40 ton Clint; leaving it a headless observer of the battle-field. The Mechwarrior's ejection seat's parachute deployed as it deposited him a thousand meters away; watching the rest of his lance mates have to wade into an uneven fight****....

OOC:

*I rolled low on the PPC damage hit to the LOCUST; 7 points (on 3d6+1 !), but that's enough to knock out the Torso from a rear shot.

**Dekker Sandoval's JENNER took a 10 point hit to the Right Arm (on 2d6+1...I rolled a 9 +1 = 10...tough break there, sorry!); and a 7 and 4 hit from the Autocannon hits (2d6 each); both to the Left Rear Torso

***Volkov's WASP was missed by one of the LRM-15s entirely; the other hit for 8 points to his Left Arm (2 groupings of missiles; 5 and 3....but both came up on the Left Arm)

****This was ENTIRELY a GM 'hand-wave' call to get the NPC out of the game quickly. Sorry if kinda sucks for the rest of you; but like I said....this first fight isn't really supposed to be a 'fair fight'

That first round was an 'AMBUSH' round....from now, the fight is pretty much straight up.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by wolfpack »

INIT: [3d6+2] = 9+2 = 11

AMBUSH!

Everyone use maximum movement and converge fire on the catapult. We will try to keep distance from the rifleman and vindicator, if we can take the catapult down and make a clean escape.

Use movement and try to stay in woods and use elevation. use our speed we may be able to get behind it and blow out its ammo.

we will try to escape that direction using leap frog maneuvers.

GreyWolfVT

#20 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Ivan "Yes sir! You heard him men focus on the catapult." the sargent moves towards the catapult and aims to veer around behind it then begins attacking it with all he can.

Return to “BATTLETECH 3025 (d6)”