Chapter 2: Bandit Hunting

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: Bandit Hunting

#181 Post by Rex »

Khawaji will go tell the others what he found.

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#182 Post by CharlesDM »

The moss and overgrown vegetation -- is this ruin less desert-like? Any signs of water or a well? Should we search for another entrance, wait out and ambush this entrance, or send in scouts?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Rex »

I think we go in this entrance.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by drpete »

Though the picture I had of a ruined temple was pretty desert-y, the area is a bit more lightly forested than that pic suggests... the area down at the bottom of the mountain is very deserty, but up here there seems to be some more water... There's a clearing with this temple in it, but there are trees around. It seems kind of damp down the stairs, even, like there is moisture down there. That said... there aren't trees right up around the entrance, it's actually in a clearing.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#185 Post by tymir »

Jaskar says I don't like the idea of suprising 30 bandits at once. Nor do I like the idea of heading in there and having them return behind us.

Hamiya says I have an idea. Let's ready an ambush and announce that Zurwin has returned and needs help carrying his spoils.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#186 Post by Lamech »

"I like that plan. Much better than heading inside. I also think we should consider trying to block the temple entrance. Or we could wait off the path someone and try to ambush them along the trail. That bandit campsite had a nice cliff overlooking it. If we hide the bodies and leave the campsite up we could probably lure some more bandits there and fire down when they take the bait. ... Anyone know trapping? Maybe set up some man traps along the trail?" Willow thinks that entering into a fortified underground lair is a poor life choice. "Or we could return to the fort and ask for a few barrels of oil. Flood the temple and set it on fire. Cooked bandit."

"Actually, my favorite idea yet: we return across that bridge and do some light sabotage. So it won't hold a persons weight. Splat! Easy kills."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by drpete »

Hrmmmm... many, many interesting ideas...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Rex »

Khawaji "I am not a big fan of messing with the bridge, we have no control over who crosses it. For all I know a local Shepard could cross and get killed. I am fine with all the other ideas."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by drpete »

Jaskar shouts down the stairs: "Zurwin has returned! Come help carry the spoils!"

There is no immediate reaction. Overall, the sound doesn't sound like it's gone far. Having gone down a few of the stairs to yell this, Jaskar can dimly see that after 30 feet, the stairs end at a landing, and there's a (closed) 20 foot high double door there. Perhaps the sound did not penetrate the large door?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Rex »

Khawaji follows Jaskar down and listens at the door.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by drpete »

Khawaji goes 30 feet, down to the bottom of the steps. There is a landing here, 10 feet across, covered with dirt and leaves. To the north and south, there are 10x10 alcoves to the north and south. Each contains a large urn, but the one to the north is shattered.

Listening at the door, Khawaji hears nothing.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#192 Post by Lamech »

"I say we bar these doors from the outside and ambush anyone who returns." Willow says. "I doubt they've been stocking up on food. I doubt thinking ahead is a strong suit. Wanna start hauling rocks?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Rex »

Khawaji will search the alcoves for secret doors etc.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by drpete »

Willow: Do you go off in search of rocks to do this with, or just propose it? Theoretically, it would take a lot of rocks, hauled down 3-4 flights of stairs, so it would take a few hours of hunting for big rocks and hauling, probably, unless you managed to roll a piece of the ruined temple or something down there...

Khawaji: You're at the bottom of a 30 feet stairwell. A *little* light makes it down here, but it's very dim. In the alcoves it's basically dark, but you can see the shapes of these large stone urns. A search would be much easier with a light source, and it'll take 10 minutes or so of searching per alcove.

For both/everyone... you've been on the go for about 6 hours to get here. Broadly speaking, you can adventure for 8 hours before you are pushing it. Once you're pushing it, you'll be at -1 until you get a full day of rest. I'm going to use the movement and searching rules in all their slow, deliberate glory, so keep that in mind as you consider the type of assault/investigation you pursue now.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#195 Post by tymir »

Jaskar and Hamiya will join Khawajii in his exploration. Hamiya will light a torch.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by drpete »

Jaskar and Hamiya go down to help search the alcoves. On lighting a torch, you can see the area at the bottom of the stairs much better. The stairs open into the center of a 10x30 landing, with a large double door in the center of the west wall. You can see that the 18 foot high double door is carved with ornate decorations, and each of the doors has a large iron ring knocker. The doors appear to open inward.

There are large urns in the space to the north and in the space to the south. The one to the north is broken in two, but the one to the south is intact. It has faded artwork on it of figures running.

Searching the alcoves reveals no secret doors.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#197 Post by Lamech »

drpete wrote:Willow: Do you go off in search of rocks to do this with, or just propose it? Theoretically, it would take a lot of rocks, hauled down 3-4 flights of stairs, so it would take a few hours of hunting for big rocks and hauling, probably, unless you managed to roll a piece of the ruined temple or something down there...
Willow will stick with the group, at the back. You sure you don't want to do this when we're a little more rested?

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#198 Post by CharlesDM »

Aghilas will keep watch above ground, until called down the stairs.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#199 Post by tymir »

Jaskar says I agree with Willow. Let's make camp a distance off and explore in the morning
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by drpete »

Alrighr, so the group retreats away from the temple to make camp. About how far would you like to go? Take any precautions in the night, etc? Between you, you have plenty of skill to find a good campsite, so that's not a problem, but I'd imagine you are trying to avoid being found by the bandits, etc? Do you light a fire, set up watches, etc?

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”