Chapter 2: Bandit Hunting

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Chapter 2: Bandit Hunting

#81 Post by tymir »

Jaskar says We could try to track them from the ambush spot...Does anyone think this taking heads or scalping business sounds a bit grisly? I'm not sure I like the idea of using our pack animals to haul bandit heads.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rex »

Khawaji
I am not a fan of collecting heads, i say we deal with the bandits and hope that we find enough of a reward with them and perhaps once the deed is done we might be rewarded by the locals. Though I doubt it

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#83 Post by Lamech »

"I am also opposed to taking bandit heads. But we can take their stuff! I also like the idea of backtracking them from the ambush spot. Maybe we'll find their loot stash."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi says Do we have anyone skilled in Tracking? If so, that seems like a good place to start.

I, too, believe we should murder these bandits and steal their possessions but draw the line at scalping. That sounds too immoral.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#85 Post by tymir »

Jaskar says I may be over thinking this. Its just that the bandits seem less interested in money, as was noted earlier. And the fact that they slaughtered and ate the mule tells me maybe they are desperate for food.

Combined with what sounds like a brutal policy of suppression by the Baron, obviously tensions are high.

Also, the town here seems like it has seen better days.

So, maybe there is a chance we could broker a peace?

But again, I may be over thinking it, and am open to just rolling with the bandit murdering option.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Rex »

Khawaji I think we should try to backtrack them and see what develops, any time we can resolve something without bloodshed I am for it. But when necessary we fight, and when we fight we take no quarter and expect none.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#87 Post by tymir »

I'd like to check in at the tower and see what the Baron is like. Maybe try to negotiate a lump sum reward for solving the problem. Jaskar has the tracking proficiency so we can try to track the bandits from the ambush site.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by drpete »

ok, seems like consensus to go to the ambush site.
Do you want to do that, or talk to the baron first?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by sulldawga »

Baron first.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rex »

I am fine with baron first.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by drpete »

The next morning, the group wakes up, gets themselves organized, and heads over to the tall, black Rangu Watchtower. The tower is about 70 feet tall. At the top, there is a weathered wooden parapet with an iron spire. Narrow windows dot the tower, giving those within a view of the surrounding area.

At the base, there is a heavy iron door. A notice on the door reads:
A Bounty is offered: 5 pieces of gold for evidence of each bandit killed. Heads preferred, scalps sufficient.

-- Valentin, Seneschal of the Tower, in the service of the Baron of Rangu
After a moment of attempting to gain entry, a middle-aged soldier's head appears in a window above the door. The man shouts down for you to wait a moment, then disappears. After about a minute, the door opens just enough for the soldier to poke his head through the crack. He looks you up and down, considering you.

"You here about the bandits?"

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#92 Post by Lamech »

Willow isn't entirely sure why the group is here. This man seems kind of gruesome. She hopes someone else speaks up first.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Rex »

Solomon Yes we are here about the bandits, may we see your Lord?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by drpete »

The soldier, the warden of the tower, tells you "The Baron is not receiving visitors this morning. He has important matters to attend to. We have heard about your actions on the road, and thank you. If you have evidence of your kills, we do offer a bounty. In addition, we will offer a reward of 200 gold, per adventuree for proof the bandit threat is eliminated."

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#95 Post by tymir »

Jaskar says Do you have any more information about the bandits? How large is their number? Do they pose a threat to the tower or just travelers?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#96 Post by CharlesDM »

Aghilas observes folk arriving at the inn, but when the drinks begin flowing, he retires to the stable to tend to his horse, clean and inspect the bandit gear he claimed, and sleep. Before laying down, he quietly asks the Lion spirit to watch over and protect his mother until he returns.
When Aghilas hears the local lord is offering gold for heads or scalps, he frowns and shakes his head. Let the desert take the bandits, and their spirits slink back to their ancestors ashamed.

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#97 Post by CharlesDM »

Jaskar said ... maybe they are desperate for food.

That is an interesting thought. These people may have chosen a poor place to live, but the local leaders seem ... disinterested and weak, hiding in their tower.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by drpete »

The Warden looks around to see if anyone else is nearby.

"The bandits are here in force. How many? I don't know. Dozens, I'm sure. They regularly harass travellers on the road, but have not attacked the tower in force. The Baron sent several men from the garrison to root them out. They found their lair, but took losses and had to retreat."

"The bandits live in an old temple, if you think you have what it takes... theres an old road that goes from here to there. The march ought to take you two or three days..."

Are you saying this about weak leaders to the warden?

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#99 Post by CharlesDM »

Aghilas was speaking to Jaskar as they walked from the stables to the tower. Aghilas keeps his distance from the tower.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#100 Post by tymir »

Jaskar asks can someone provide a drawing or description of the temple layout? Are there any men from the tower who would be willing to come with us?

How many days has it been since Hamiya communed with her spirit ancestors?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”