Chapter 2: Bandit Hunting

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 2: Bandit Hunting

#61 Post by drpete »

Fort is maybe a bit more than what this is. There is a tower, with a wooden inn next to it. There's a fenced off enclosure behind the inn which has a stable, a well and an open air smithy. The area is clear of brush, giving the tower line of sight on anyone who approaches it. The tower has a good view of the road, however, it looks like it could use some maintenance. Whatever this settlement used to look like, there's not much to it, now.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#62 Post by tymir »

Are the people visible or does the place look abandoned?
Jaskar leads his horse which is carrying the wounded guard to the inn and knocks on the door. He would like to secure lodging for the wounded man and his companions.

Hamiya and Etti follow.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi is on his guard until he sees some signs of life from the compound.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by drpete »

Looking for signs of life as you approach, you notice smoke rising up from the inn's chimney. You hear the sound of hammering coming from the smithy. You see a guard up at the top of the tower. There is a young boy shovelling at the entrance of the stable. It looks alive, but small... a very small settlement, hardly a village and barely a fort.

Seeing nothing extremely out of the ordinary, you go and knock on the door. It is opened by a stout, red-faced man, who at first seems welcoming and happy to see travellers, but then grows worried when he sees the wounded guard. He invites you in and gives you drinks while you discuss the details of your lodging. There are 4 rooms available at the moment, along with the common area. You're welcome to settle yourselves in, get comfortable, etc.

Rankin, the merchant, asks to see Abed. The innkeeper, Ubert, tells his wife to go fetch the provisioner. She rolls her eyes, gets up, and trudges sullenly out the back door into the courtyard behind the inn to find him.

The cost of the food and lodging is coversed by your upkeep, bit figure out sleeping arrangements.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#65 Post by tymir »

Both Hamiya and Jaskar are accustomed to life on the road and will sleep outside the stables, or on beds of hay inside the stables, after a good meal.

Jaskar says We should set a watch at night. The bandits may come looking for us.
Did we have a contact here we needed to seek out? Or was this just rumors of bandits in the south?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Rex »

Khawaji and Solomon will both stay in the inn.

Khawaji I can take a watch outside as well, it seems prudent.

Solomon will ask around and see what they have for healers/herbalist/apothecaries etc.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#67 Post by Lamech »

Willow will ask the merchant if he's selling his goods here or not. If he is she'll ask if the party can have a cut of the profits, and if not some wine would be nice. "In retrospect, we probably should have asked before getting them here.

OOC: Willow will stay in the inn.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by drpete »

Ubert tells you that, yes, there is a Chirurgeon at the tower, who takes care of any injuries, but there is no apothecary or herbalist here. Ubert thinks the Chirurgeon is likely to come by the inn at some point, later. Ubert offers Hamiya and Jaskar space either in the stable or in the common room, if they would like it.

Rankin looks to Willow somewhat sheepishly. "I am merely delivering these things to the Provisioner. They are his goods, and I am his agent. I am extremely thankful for your assistance, but I cannot pay you much..."

You don't have a contact, per se, here, just the knowledge that the Baron had called for assistance with the bandit problem.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by drpete »

Ubert offers Hazrahi the fourth room, and invites Aghilas to join his friends in the stable, where he will feel more comfortable.

As you begin to get settled, Abed, the provisioner, arrives to see Rankin. Abed enters, walks over to Rankin, and barks "What happened? Did you bring my goods? Where are your guards?" Abed then begins coughing. Abed, who is somewhat pale and sickly looking, seems irritated with Rankin.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by drpete »

Rankin nods quickly, and tells Abed about having been robbed, and that the adventurers rescued him and brought the goods to the tower. Abed looks the group over suspiciously, nodding. After a moment, Abed approaches you "My agent, Rankin, tells me that you have my goods. I need these goods, and I ask you to turn them over to me."

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#71 Post by tymir »

Hamiya scowls back at the provisioner. The spirits of the desert provide all I need!

Jaskar puts a hand on Hamiya's shoulder and says Of course you may have your goods! You were fortunate we had spare pack animals to haul everything back. Is your place of business here, or did you bring mules to haul everything?
Provided the night is uneventful I think we should check in at the tower tomorrow and see if they have any more info on the bandits, and if we can get some type of official appproval for this bandit clearing.

We could also look to offload the bandits gear there or to the provisioner.

Absent other bandit leads we can always try to track them from the trail we found at the attack.
Last edited by tymir on Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi quietly uses his innate ability to Detect Evil and has a look around the area, paying close attention to Abed.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by drpete »

Abed, the provisioner, nods to Jaskar, and whistles for a boy to come unload the bags of grain. He takes the box of bottles of wine himself, after checking them carefully. Hazrahi sees no signs that he (or anyone else in the room) has sufficiently evil intentions to be detectable, but he doesn't seem very friendly.

To Jaskar's question, he responds that he dwells in the tower, with his stores. He can sell some limited quantities of goods, but most of them, like these grains, are for the tower guard.

After seeing that you have several sets of leather armor and weapons, he suggests "Ahh, it looks like you have found a reward for your good deeds. Very good!"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by drpete »

Let me know if you want to continue with Abed in one way or another... in the meantime...

A handful of other adventurers are staying at the inn, and it looks like a few of them and a few of the guards from the tower are settling in for some drinking and socializing in the inn.

To socialize with them in search of info (or perhaps romance) will cost a bit of cash in rounds. Assuming you make some friends, I'll give you some info, but either way, it'll go toward lifestyle. Alternatively, you can wait for morning and ask at the tower...?

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#75 Post by tymir »

Hamiya turns up her nose at Abed and mutters Your welcome. She will retire early to the stables where Kareek has been building a giant nest of hay.

Jaskar, on the other hand, is eager to drink and hear tales of adventure. He will socialize in search of info about the bandits, or adventure possibilities.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#76 Post by Lamech »

"The moral of the story is we agree on payment before taking on cargo." Willow comments. I won't feel bad leaving someone else's stuff behind.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rex »

Solomon will ask around about the bandits. Mainly trying to see if anyone has any idea where there hideout is.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi hangs out in the common room and mostly listens. Sometimes the local chatter is as informative as asking questions...

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by drpete »

A few of the members of the group stay in the common room while the others head in to bed, hoping to get a good night's rest.

The innkeeper is excited to talk about a local hero named Ali. Ali has turned many criminals over to the tower, including a notorious thief called Russa the Black. Ali has sworn to rid the area of bandits. He often goes out on patrol for several days, and hasn't been seen in over a week.

Jaskar seems to be the most popular of the group. He is told about how the Baron cleared this area of the local mountain people in his youth, but now losses against the bandits have led the Baron to become something of a recluse. He and his men mainly stay in his tower, and don't go out to hunt them any more. He also hears about the Baron's bounty. The Baron is offering 5 gold for evidence of each bandit kill. Heads preferred, but scalps will do.

Solomon hears a lot of speculation about the bandits. The most interesting tidbit is some speculation about a large, old Temple, a couple of days journey from here. People think this is a likely place for them to be holed up.

Hazrahi hears about how with the reduction in patrols, wolves have started becoming a problem in the area, so travelers need to be wary out in the wilds.

The drinks and entertainment for the evening costs you each 3 gp.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Solomon mentions the old temple to everyone. Maybe a good place to start if we haven't another idea.

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”