Prolog/Chapter 1: The Company forms

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Prolog: The Company forms

#21 Post by sulldawga »

drpete wrote:The cost of food and lodging at typical 1st level lifestyle levels is covered for the week, though if you want to carry it rather than assume to eat a prepared meal somewhere, you should account for it for encumbrance purposes. This area we're discussing is all civilized, so you can probably find food and lodging. Given that it's several miles away, you'll probably need to spend the night.
If it's covered under lifestyle costs, then I'll skip it. Let's get on the road!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by drpete »

Alright, anyone else want to ask anything or get anything before going to the village...?

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#23 Post by tymir »

Jaskar is ready to go.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by drpete »

Date: Sanctuary 1, 1:30 pm
Season: Early Spring
Weather: Warm, Strong Winds
Moon phase: New Moon

Eager to get moving, the group begins their walk to the village. Their way is easy, as they follow the road along the aqueduct, an underground series of tunnels which transport water from the river to far-flung farms and villages. Being right along the aqueduct has its benefits, as water is easily obtainable from numerous wells.

The terrain is filled with farms, small villages, and the occasional small, forested area. A strong, cool wind coming down from the mountains to the south keeps the sweat off, and reminds you of the long, frozen winter you've come through.

Following Polson's instructions, you turn off the road, and come to a small gathering of mud-brick homes around a central square. There are 3 women sitting in the shade of an awning, stirring a large pot of water, and you hear the playful cries of teenage boys playing a game nearby. The women look up at you, but don't stop their stirring.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi walks toward the women, a smile on his face and arms open wide.

Greetings, sisters! I am looking for Naya. Can you help me find her?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by drpete »

The women warm to Hazrahi's friendliness, and smile at him. One of them points to a space between two buildings.

"She'll be back there, tending the spiders... you can't miss her..."

Following the woman's directions, the group leaves the square and heads to a cluster of buildings built around a deep gash in the earth, the hole where the spiders are kept. Set around it are various work buidlings for gathering and processing the spider silk.

A tough-looking middle-aged woman wearing big leather gloves sees you and leaves off a conversation with a workman to come over to you.

"Welcome to our farm, can I help you folks?"

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#27 Post by tymir »

Jaskar steps forward, pulling Polson's letter from his backpack.

Hello. We have heard rumors of trouble at the silk farms and wanted to offer aid.

He hands over Polson's letter.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by drpete »

The woman called Naya looks over the letter, then looks the group over, approvingly.

"We've had a couple of females go missing a few days ago. We don't think they came out the top of the nest, so they may have dug themselves another way out. We don't know if they're recoverable, but we would love to get them back, if possible."

"You folk aren't with them, are you...?" She points to a small group of Bedi who are looking over the edge of the pit, at the spiderwebs below.

The Bedi characters aren't *totally* ready, but we can treat that as a little standoffishness, for now. Charles, you can jump in, whenever you like...

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi politely coughs to interrupt and steps up.

Just to be sure, we are talking about missing children and not missing spiders, correct?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by drpete »

Naya looks around, to see who else might have heard Hazrahi. She turns back around, and says "there's no evidence the spider's had anything to do with that... I'm sure it's a coincidence. Please don't spread that around. It could ruin us..."

"The children disappeared from a half mile away, up by the main road... it could be anything!

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

Jaskar

#31 Post by tymir »

When were the children seen last? Has there been any other trouble lately?

Jaskar will examine the pit and attempt to look for tracks. Either spiders leaving or perhaps humans entering? He has tracking as a proficiency.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by drpete »

The large spiderpit is largely covered over with gratings and wooden beams. Jaskar examines the edge of the pit, looking for tracks. The ground here is hard and dusty, less fertile than nearby land used for farming. Unfortunately, though he can see lots of footprints, they seem to be the tracks of people working around the pit. He sees several areas where people routinely approach the pit, and notes ladders, currently pulled up out of the pit and leaning on an outbuilding.

Naya thinks about the question"The children vanished from the main road. The girl's hat, and some blood were found there, at least. It could have been a lot of things. I've heard some suggest it was the witch that took them."

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#33 Post by Lamech »

Willow asks ""Wait, so your spiders are going missing and you want them recovered? And what would a witch do with a kid?"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by drpete »

Naya nods to Willow. "Yes, we're missing a couple of spiders, and we need them recovered. Or put down. Giant spiders shouldn't roam free. People might get hurt."

"I don't know what the witch would do with the children, and I hope not to find out. Eat them? Brew them into a potion? Who knows with witches!"

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#35 Post by CharlesDM »

As Jaskar comes nearer looking for tracks, Aghilas speaks to him.

You know of these spiders ... and the ways of the wastes? The local wildlife are spooked, and fear these spiders. Before, they cared not for the spiders. Something has changed, it is harder to find game for food. Perhaps we can work together?

The Bedi Aghilas is young, a teenage boy even, but his physique and bearing suggest he can take care of himself.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by drpete »

Naya overhears the boy's comments, and looks uncomfortable. "The spider's have been more aggressive, lately. Look, I don't know if they killed those children. I hope not, but I don't know. If they did, they wouldn't have carried them far..."

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#37 Post by tymir »

Jaskar nods at Aghilas.

Perhaps our paths have crossed for a reason? This situation seems to be more complicated than we thought at first.

Jaskar introduces his companions.

I think we should go see where the children were last seen.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Rex »

Agreed, it seems some thorough searching around is in order.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi tugs at the few whiskers adorning his chin.

Witches, spiders, and lost children. A true puzzle. Yes, let us explore and see these sites with our own eyes.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#40 Post by Lamech »

"Its probably just spiders and townsfolk are starting up silly rumors. If I remember my classes on Chaos right children make for poor sacrifices, and I can't think of anything else children would help with. Random farm animals would be... wait! What if the witch was kidnapping the spiders and the children witnessed it?! Willow shakes her head Well, whatever the case we should find those spiders.

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”