Prolog/Chapter 1: The Company forms

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Prolog: The Company forms

#41 Post by Rex »

Lets see what we can find out first then see what fits the information. Of course it never hurts to be ready for anything.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by drpete »

Listening to the conversation, Naya interjects. "Please be careful with them. We will pay good money for their return... alive, mind you. We can give you 250 gold, for each of them you return to us. If you need nets, or Birthwort, we have that, as well."

"Jona here can take you to the spot, if you are ready."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rex »

Nets and Birthwort would both be handy, I will take some of both. Thank You.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by drpete »

Naya briefly converses with one of the workmen, who goes off and returns with two nets and two doses of birthwort, and gives them over to the group.

The other man, Jona, then takes the group back up to the main road. They walk for a short way, maybe a bit more than a half mile, up the road before stopping looking around, and indicating "right around here. This is where we found the hat."

The road here passes through a lightly wooded area. Looking around, there is no immediate sign of spiders, or this attack. Khawaji notes a stone structure about 50 feet away, covered in greenery. Willow recognizes it as an aqueduct outlet, which is probably providing the moisture for this greenery.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi moves to the aqueduct outlet and looks for anything unusual.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by drpete »

The aqueduct outlet is a 10x10 concrete and stone structure, about 8 feet high, with vines and greenery covering most of it. There is an opening near the ground, about 3 feet in diameter. A metal door, which should cover this opening, lies on the ground next to it. You can see that after only a few feet, there is a ladder going down. You can also see that the ladder and downward tunnel are coated with webs.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#47 Post by tymir »

Do we know anything about these spiders? What they normally eat, what type of venom they have.
Jaskar examines the area for any sign of a struggle or human tracks.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by drpete »

These giant funnel spiders produce large amounts of webbing, which can catch even large animals. In captivity, they are generally fed small animals. It wouldn't be unusual in nature for them to set up near something like a giant bee hive or somewhere with giant flies or ants. Their venom can definitely kill humans, though it can take up to half an hour or so. Enough time to treat them, at least. They are not quite as deadly, or as large, as the giant black widow spider.
Looking around the entrance, Jaskar doesn't see any sign of humans, but he does see signs of something maybe the size of a dog having been dragged into this hole maybe a day or so ago.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi says I don't want to go down there without firing the webs first, lest one of us become stuck and turn into spider food. But firing the webs could kill one of the missing children.

I guess we should light them up anyway. If they are trapped within the spiders's webs, they are surely dead by now.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rex »

Khawaji searches around the aqueduct carefully for any signs of the children. I will go down and take a look before we fire the webs, I don't like the idea of risking the children, even if it is only a small chance of them being alive. I have seen miracles before, I will not give up hope so soon. He then starts to work his way down the hole clearing webs as he goes with his knife.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#51 Post by tymir »

Who all is present? If Hamiya was part of the group of Bedi who joined, she will ask for a halt while she consults her ancestral spirits to try to find out the gate of the children.
I agree with Khawaji. We should first try to save any children. And the spiders are worth far more alive than dead, if we can manage it.

Jaskar lights a torch to provide light and follows Khawaji down the hole.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#52 Post by CharlesDM »

If there are no objections, Aghilas will take one of the nets and have it in hand.
Aghilas follows Jaskar without comment.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#53 Post by tymir »

If she is present

Hamiya twirls and leaps in a wide circle, flapping her arms wildly, letting out birdlike screeches. The feathers woven into her long hair seem to levitate, keeping her hair suspended while her body leaps about. She beseeches the spirits of her ancestors to answer 3 questions.
1. Are the missing children still alive?
2. Were the children taken by spiders?
3. Were the children taken by the witch?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#54 Post by Lamech »

Willow says: I strongly recommend burning the spiders out. And if that doesn't work trying to lay a trap for the spiders.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi says, Let's see what Hamiya's ancestors say before we light the torches.

Is there any clarity about which PCs are present?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by drpete »

Alright, I sense that Solomon and Heather aren't ready, so let's hold off on them... they can join after this, if they like. So we've got Khawaji, Jaskar, Hamiya, Hazrahi, Willow, and Aghilas.

Hamiya, a Bedi woman who tagged along when Aghilas joined the group does a dance, which involves a lot of spinning, flapping her arms like a bird, and cawing. As she dances, you all notice the terrible smell of something dead. At the end of her dance, she collapses, exhausted.

The spirits hesitated on the first question, eventually answering "yes". The second question also yield a "yes" after a pause. The third question gets a quick "no".

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

Hamiya

#57 Post by tymir »

Hamiya takes a deep breath. The spirits have spoken. The children yet live. They were taken by the spiders. Craawk!
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

Khawaji looks at Hamyia. Good enough for me. I can take point if no one else wants it, time may be running out.

Khawaji has one of the nets.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#59 Post by tymir »

Jaskar will follow 2nd, holding a torch for light. If there is room at the bottom of the ladder he will ready his bow, passing the torch to Himaya.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#60 Post by Lamech »

Willow will go next.

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”