Character Creation

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation

#61 Post by drpete »

Hi Charles!

A Bedi berserker sounds good to me. You can create a second character (the Venturer) to play now, if you would like. We didn't go down the full "create 3 characters" path, though I have no objection to you doing so, and just having one "active" at a time.

The idea with the house/upkeep element is that you would get a small hut type house in or near the city, and you would be the head of the household... your older sisters might be assumed grown/married off, but younger siblings and mother need you to provide for their upkeep.

Rather than track all the individual coin expenditures on food, etc, we're going to bundle them into a (for now, weekly) upkeep expense. You would need to pay something for your family upkeep, depending on how you want them to live. If you live an extravagant lifestyle, do you take them on that ride, or leave them in poverty? Expenses spent on them would count toward the prodigality rule.

They wouldn't be henchmen, per se, or "useful" contacts, unless you want to define them as such... just something that I hope might ground people a bit. Technically, they're mostly color, but we might say that your family expects to get your share of the adventure you die on, and younger siblings might inherit and be able to be new pcs, etc. We might see about crossing those roads if the family stuff seems to be working.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by drpete »

Rex,

For your familiar, at the moment I'm thinking a monkey, as seen, for example, in Raiders of the Lost Ark. He'd be an Alchemist, and expert in animals and plants (so it could harvest various things for you, including ingredients and poisons). Technically, you know it's not *really* a monkey, it's something else...

So long as you maintain your relationship with your master, you'll have access to his alchemy lab, and alchemy will stack with your Warlock abilities. Stuff is still expensive to make, though you'll improve quickly.

I'll need you to come up with a secret language for your spellbook... an ancient, lost one, or a very distant, exotic one.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by drpete »

Tymir,

Still thinking about that Shaman? Did you like the vulture idea with either keen eyes or divine health, or did that not appeal so much? Any further thoughts?

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#64 Post by CharlesDM »

To start with I'll wrap up the berserker ASAP to be able to join play, then do the others as time allows.

Do I need age rolls for a berserker, venturer and thief? (I'd use barbarian age for berserker, as it looks like age is missing from the current draft.)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by drpete »

Alright, here ya go!

Berserker Age: [1d8+14] = 2+14 = 16 Venturer Age: [2d4+17] = 6+17 = 23 Thief Age: [1d8+15] = 6+15 = 21

Note: I tweaked the aging rules to make youth a bit more of a mixed bag, rather than a pure negative. Given age and intelligence penalties, the berserker gets 2 general & 1 class proficiency, and has effective Wisdom 14 & Con 18 due to 2 point Wisdom penalty & Con bonus (but cap at 18).

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#66 Post by Lamech »

So if I understand the houserules we have four general proficiencies+Adventuring as a base, then get another general for each intelligence bonus, and a final class proficiency?

Then lets get: Adventuring(Free) Healing (Normal General), Healing(Class Bonus), Healing(General Int), Naturalism (Normal General), Survival? (Normal General), Familiar(Class), Theology

for the witch.

Also donkey familiar? It matter when figuring out what to purchase. Mostly because it lets me not purchase a donkey.

Final question: Command Word lasts for one round. Does that mean a character can hit something with a command word, and then the entire next round it will be asleep and vulnerable to instant kill? Or what?

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#67 Post by Lamech »

Draft of witch sheet:

It needs, descriptions, contacts a spell sig etc. NOT FINISHED. So calling it a draft is a bit much.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by drpete »

Lamech, I would focus more on the character defining stuff, if you want a second character. You're welcome to shop for gear, of course, but your donkey familiar would tell you that is for the end of the process.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by drpete »

I'm ok if Hamiya is there, though I think we're waiting on contacts, no? I can also give her a rumor or two if you get those together...

I think Solomon is on a similar state, but maybe needs equipment, too? Should he hold off for the time being?

My sense is that Heather isn't really moving forward much, and maybe can come in later...?

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#70 Post by tymir »

I've added contacts and a spell signature for Hamiya. I modeled the vulture as a raven but bumped the HD to 1/2 from 1/4 because of the slightly bigger size. Maybe the move rate is lower though?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by drpete »

Tymir,

Sorry about being slow on this. The vulture will grow as you advance in levels, and we'll update it's stats as we go, but, here's some stats for it...

Move 30/fly 150, AC 5, HD 1/2, AC 5, AT bite 1d4 or claws 1d2/1d2 (dive). Keen senses.

Notes: weight 2 items, 1.25 feet long, 3.5 foot wings.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#72 Post by tymir »

Updated. Thanks!
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rex »

Solomon needs some language ideas then he is ready to go.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by drpete »

Let's see... languages...

The "common" language might be called Kuntani.

The Khazaki commonly use it, as well, though they have their own version Khazaki.

The Bedi have their own language, as well.

There are Lizard men in the desert that have their own language, and the Guti mountain men.

You should have at least one very oddball language for your spellbook, that others aren't likely to know. It can really be anything, but how about... Vendian Pictographs. This is the ancient script of a distant kingdom which fell into ruin centuries ago. They once counted among themselves some of the greatest alchemists of all time. Griff somehow seems connected to them.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Rex »

All set

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by drpete »

Ok, so we've got at least 4-5 people coming down the ladder. It sounds like it's time for marching order... so far, we seem to have Khawaji, Jaskar, either Aghilas or Willow (counting the previous intention to go next) and Hamiya in there, too. This leaves Hazrahi ... and Solomon.

It's a short crawl then a ladder, so single file... if Hamiya is going to hold the only torch, in the back, then the folks in front will not have good light. They'll be in dim light or darkness.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#77 Post by tymir »

Hamiya and Jaskar both brought torches, so Jaskar can keep one towards the front and Hamiya can hold one towards the back.

Can Jaskar fight with a sword while holding a torch, assuming flat ground (not on the ladder)?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by drpete »

A torch can be used as a weapon, so a torch in the off hand gives a character who can wield two weapons (like Jaskar) a +1 to hit, if he wants it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Rex »

Solomon has a lantern as well, and isn't much for combat so he doesn't mind holding it. He would prefer to be somewhere in the middle where he can support if needed.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#80 Post by Lamech »

I don't think I'm gonna be running a second character. Don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Willow is still here though! :D

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”