Character Creation

Lamech
Guide
Guide

Re: Character Creation

#41 Post by Lamech »

Any suggestions for equipment? Spell book obviously, a stick, a backpack, some water and food?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by drpete »

There are also healing herbs that a healer might want...

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#43 Post by tymir »

I am thinking of doing a shaman for a second character. With a Bedi background and a vulture totem (a re-skinned raven?). Does that sound reasonable DrPete?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rex »

I would like to go with set 4 and run a warlock.
Character 4
-----------
Strength: 12
Dexterity: 10
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 9
Gold: 70
Family: Father, Mother, 4 older brothers, 1 older sister

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by drpete »

Tymir, Sounds good, though I'm thinking maybe something like "keen eyes" or... (blanking here) immunity to disease might be appropriate benefits for a vulture.

Rex, sounds good. There's no need to, but if you'd like to swap out familiar for another power (some mystical class peofuciency, say) that would be fine. Also, I'm thinking mage vs warlock sounds like members of two different (competing) arcane traditions/colleges.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rex »

I am thinking more of a tradition. Will think over the familiar, I am undecided. I also need an age and # of proficiencies. I think I get Adventuring, 4 general, 1 Warlock. Not sure how age is going to change it.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by drpete »

Warlock Age: [3d6+17] = 17+17 = 34

Ok, so you have Adventuring, one warlock class proficiency, 4 different general proficiencies, 3 more general for int, and 2 more general for age. So, beyond adventuring, you can have 9 additional general proficiencies (covering at least 4 different ones).

As for the familiar, it was just an idea for variety, if you want it.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#48 Post by Lamech »

I'm thinking an Anti-Witch if we're all building second characters.

Character 3
-----------
Strength: 14-->10
Dexterity: 8
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 12-->13
Charisma: 12-->13
Gold: 50

Question: Is survival a general proficiency? It IS on the general list, but it doesn't seem to have a "(G)". At least in the PDF I have.

On that note, proficiency: Adventuring(Free) Healing (Normal General), Healing(Class Bonus), Healing(General Int), Naturalism (Normal General), Survival? (Normal General), Familiar(Class)
Proposed Familiar: Hearth Raven, Proficiency: Naturalism (Normal General), ???, ???, Survival? (Normal General), Laying on Hands Talons

I think I got the general proficiency right? Do familiars benefit from bonus class proficiency?

Ravens are hearthy right? They're known for being smart and sitting on hearths while dispensing wisdom.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by drpete »

Lamech,

If you'd like to create another character, please finish the first one. I think we're still waiting for a spell signature, and a secret language?

On Familiars, I'll design them for you, based on the rest of the charscter. I've got some ideas, but it's not likely to be a raven...

Rex, this would go for you, too. As for how you and Lamech fit (or dont) are you suggesting that you want your Warlock to have the same teachers as Lamech's mage, or more "outside" the college system? Warlocks generally seem to be described as dark strivers for magical power who are kind of outside the traditional system, so kind of like the Hedge Witches in "The Magicians" if you've seen/read that. We could go with that, or with a rival/different tradition. By nature, Arcanist with different teachers are going to be in a touchy situation working together. If you share too much of your sknowledge, your master will "cut you off" from the new spells you get when you level. On the other hand, bringing your master their spellbook could net you a big reward!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by drpete »

Rex, some spells :

Charm Person
Burning Hands *
Magic Rope *
Protection from Evil

The starred spells are uncommon ones your teacher would be very jealous of you sharing.

Please also give some thought to a spell signature as you consider your proficiencies. It'll make it easier to figure out your familiar.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#51 Post by Lamech »

Well, I was just leaving the languages open. I have a spell sig in the description. Also I have items in the sheet too.

Hmm... ancient language. How about "Blorg Runes". That still leaves me with two unfilled languages though. The blorg were a friendly race of intelligent mold, that have since been wiped out by adventures who mistook them for dangerous dungeon flora. That work?

Anything else?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by drpete »

Ah sorry, hadn't seen that. Survival is general, yes.

Not sure this is the type of game to actually have "Blorg", but they can be in an ancient runic language of (to you) unknown origin that you deciphered while trying to read some ancient botany textbooks, that you called the Blorg. There were a lot of molds in there. They must have been very into molds and underground funguses.

I'll get you an age for the witch...

Witch Age: [1d6+17] = 3+17 = 20

I'm pretty sure the familiar will be a donkey, probably with Prophecy, to give you a connection to your goddess. Not finished yet, but maybe proficiencies like... Labor, Intimidation, Naturalism, Theology, Tracking, maybe...?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Rex »

Not done yet but made good progress, sheet is up with other sheets. Spell signature is under notes. Wasn't sure on the signature so let me know what you think.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by drpete »

The spell signature looks fine, Rex. It does point toward an issue with magic that I'd emphasize more with Warlocks... Magic can be corrupting. A spell like Charm Person, for example, removes free will from another, and isn't really a lawful act. Burning Hands can have a similar issue, depending on how you use it (on non-combatants, for example). Clearly evil behavior will move you toward Chaotic. Your familiar (a representative of the powers that you used to gain your magic) will probably want to corrupt you.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#55 Post by tymir »

drpete wrote:
Character 2
-----------
Strength: 15
Dexterity: 16
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 12
Gold: 90
Family: Mother, Older brother
I will use this for my shaman. Can I have an age roll please?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by drpete »

No prob... here ya go!

Shaman age: [1d6+17] = 5+17 = 22

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rex »

Corrupting effect is fine, I prefer magic with consequences. We will see how good I am at resisting.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#58 Post by Lamech »

Working on the witch. Her name is Heather.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by drpete »

CharlesDM:

Character 1
-----------
Strength: 10
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 16
Wisdom: 11
Charisma: 10
Gold: 60
Family: Mother. No siblings If you are the eldest male, you may take a small dwelling in exchange for responsibility for care/upkeep for your mother.

Character 2
-----------
Strength: 12
Intelligence: 13
Wisdom: 9
Charisma: 12
Gold: 70
Family: Mother, Younger Sister. If you are the eldest male, you may take a small dwelling in exchange for responsibility for care and upkeep for your mother and sister.

Character 3
-----------
Strength: 15
Constitution: 17
Intelligence: 8
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 16
Gold: 110
Family: Mother. No siblings If you are the eldest male, you may take a small dwelling in exchange for responsibility for care/upkeep for your mother.

Character 4
-----------
Strength: 13
Constitution: 9
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 17
Gold: 80

Character 5
-----------
Strength: 13
Intelligence: 9
Wisdom: 17
Gold: 90
Family: Father, Older Sister.

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#60 Post by CharlesDM »

With your permission, I’ll make Character 3 into a Human (Bedi) Berserker (Lion Totem), using the Bedi Barbarian weapon details you provided.

I’m not sure if I’m making 1 or 2 more characters for the Judge, but my next choices are Character 5 Venturer (Revised) and Character 1 Thief.

What does “… you may take a small dwelling in exchange for responsibility for care/upkeep for …” mean in game terms? I think I would like to do this.

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”