Character Creation

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation

#1 Post by drpete »

Let's continue our cration conversation here.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Character Creation

#2 Post by tymir »

Do i get -1 starting proficiencies for low intelligence?

I assumed so since you get additional profs for high int, but the rules don't actually say so from what I can see.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by drpete »

Yeah, so since your explorer is 18, but has a -1 int, let's say he gets 3 different general proficiencies, (not including adventuring, which you can have free) and 1 class proficiency.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Urson »

Ok- having remedied my issues, I'm back to needing an age roll.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by drpete »

Alright, cool :) Here ya go!

Thief Age Roll: [1d8+15] = 7+15 = 22

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by drpete »

Sulldawga, I think you have some extra general proficiencies you can select. Also, is it your intention to buy 2 *days* worth of iron rations? (1 item per day, you have them pretty clearly tagged as single items...?)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

Alright, so... equipment and the character sheet.

There are, generally stuff that has no weight (clothes) stuff that has encumbrance 1 item (swords, meals, etc) and things with encumbrance in stone (bows, shields, armor).

I propose, to vastly simplify encumbrance tracking, the following:

Items measure in stone, put in the "magic items" tab. This is mostly armor, bows, 2 handed weapons, days of water, weeks of food)

Items with no encumbrance, put in the gems/jewelry section. This is clothes, packs, etc

Items with item encumbrance, put in the equipment section, preferaby 1 line per "item" of encumbrance. So, a sword, or a set of arrows, etc.

Following this, we would just count the lines, then convert to stone, add them to the stones in the "magic" section, and it's all crystal clear.

Make sense?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Do pouch and backpack count as an item each or none? I was counting them but your post implies backpacks don't count.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

Being worn, the backpack and belt pouch don't count for encumbrance.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rex »

Thanks. Can a Mystic use a sling?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

Mystic Weapon selection:

Flail, longbow, polearm, spear, dagger, sword, short sword, dart, staff and whip. They can wield a weapon in each hand (+1 to hit) or a single weapon in 2 hands (which allows greater damage)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

I am going to switch laying on hands to running to fit how I see this character. I have healing prof. rank 3 and the Paladin has laying on hands so hopefully that will get us through.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by drpete »

A difference is that "healing" is really an out of combat thing, while laying on hands can be used in combat. The increase in speed from running will have a corresponding improvement in initiative for movement (as per the house rule)

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by tymir »

It sounds as though we will need pack animals to carry water if we leave the oasis for more than a day.

What animals are commonly used in trade between cities? Are donkeys and draft horses available, or are camels neccesary?
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by drpete »

Your city is the capital of a small "kingdom" which consit's of a handful of oases fed by rivers which run down from the mountains to the south into the desert. If you think about Egypt with the Nile providing a lifeline in the desert, it's kind if like that, though flavor wise it's not intended to be Egyptian, exactly.

Most trade moves on established routes east and west in the shadow of these mountains, because of the water that comes down from them, and there are fortified stopping points with water every 20-30 miles or so with services for caravans.

There aren't "roads" though, so goods need to be transported on animal back rather than in carts that rely on good roads. Donkeys and horses are good, though camels are famously ships of the desert.

Water will probably constrain you from exploring the desert too randomly, but the river continues past the settled, irrigated and patrolled oasis. You know there is an old ruined city upriver which the Bedi occupy, which scavengers continue to pick over. This type of thing would be reachable without 10 days water, for example.

Similarly you could go up and down the string of oases, or venture into the mountains without huge amounts of water.

About 350 miles west is one end of the desert, the Kingdom of Bel-Kazak, where the Khazak people come from. Oases continue to the east at least that far, but trade goes both ways, so there are people out there...

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#16 Post by tymir »

I added Jaskar's background. Let me know if it lines up with what you were looking for or if anything should be changed.

I also updated inventory for encumbrance.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by drpete »

That looks great, thanks!

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by drpete »

Lamech:
Character 1
-----------
Strength: 13
Dexterity: 18
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 7
Charisma: 14
Gold: 80
Family: Father, Older Sister. If you are eldest male, you are the heir. Should something happen to your father, you would inherit a small house.

Character 2
-----------
Strength: 9
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 16
Charisma: 11
Gold: 60
Family: Mother, No siblings. If you are the eldest male, you may take a small dwelling in exchange for responsibility for care and upkeep for your mother.

Character 3
-----------
Strength: 14
Dexterity: 8
Constitution: 13
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 12
Charisma: 12
Gold: 50
Family: Father, Mother, Younger brother. If you are eldest male, you are the heir. Should something happen to your father, you may inherit a small house and responsibility for care and upkeep of your mother and brother.

Character 4
-----------
Strength: 9
Dexterity: 15
Constitution: 8
Charisma: 10
Family: Father, No siblings. You are the heir. Should something happen to your father, you will inherit a small home.

Character 5
-----------
Strength: 11
Dexterity: 5
Constitution: 16
Wisdom: 15
Charisma: 15
Family: Orphan, Younger sister. If you are eldest male, you may inherit small house in exchange for care and upkeep of your sister.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rex »

I think Khawaji is all set. Let me know if you would like anything changed or added. Once it is good I will add his contacts/enemy to the people of interest thread.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#20 Post by Lamech »

Lets go with the Character Five:

Character 5
-----------
Strength: 11
Dexterity: 5
Constitution: 16
Wisdom: 15
Charisma: 15
Family: Orphan, Younger sister. If you are eldest male, you may inherit small house in exchange for care and upkeep of your sister.

Let's go with mage. She's a self taught mage who studied in the local library. Apparently some of the books had spells.
We can take 2 points from STR and two points from Wisdom, for 18 int. Unless I can pump it higher. Can I pump it higher?

Then for proficiency we can grab, Mystic Aura for the class and Healing, Diplomacy, Bargain, and Seduction for the general proficiency. That's like a +5 or a +7 to reaction rolls.
If that all works I can start to fill out the character sheet.

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”