Prolog/Chapter 1: The Company forms

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Prolog: The Company forms

#121 Post by drpete »

Round 7

Though the group cannot clearly through the webs covering the northern opening, they can see the lone berserker's torch, and hear the sound of his combat with what is presumably the spider. They hear his grunt as he attacks, and hear him scream in pain as the spider bites him! (4 damage, poisoned!) He then begins panting and growling animalistically.

Aghilas:
You recognize the sounds... he is attempting to enter a greater berserkergang.
Hazrahi and Aghilas move close to the web, hoping to help as Hazrahi provides light. Unfortunately, the hall is quite choked with webs, making detailed examination of the space beyond difficult. The light suggests that the space beyond the web opens up some, but that's about it. Jaskar attempts to push through the hole made by the berserker, but finds himself stuck fast in the web and barely able to move! (24 control damage!) Khawaji begins to try to free one of the berserkers. It seems like this may take a while.

Note: The web has inflicted 24 points of "control" on Jaskar, which is the grappling equivalent of a lot of damage (it's compared to hp to determine effect). Attempts to get free are attack rolls which let you remove control on a successful hit. Jaskar is not able to move really until the control gets below his hp, but he can roll at a stiff penalty and presumably over a period on the order of turns would be able to get himself free...

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#122 Post by tymir »

Jaskar will attempt to free himself.

Hamiya will continue providing light while remaining vigilant for the spiders return.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

CharlesDM
Strider
Strider

#123 Post by CharlesDM »

Aghilas sheaths his dagger and draws a weapon more useful to defending Jaskar, should the spider return before he is freed. "Does anyone have any ideas?"
I don't know if Aghilas could have brought his spear down here, or would've had to leave it above. If no spear, he has a javelin in hand.
Last edited by CharlesDM on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Rex »

Khawaji on realizing how long it will take switches tactics and moves to support the others against the free spider. Once there he will attempt to cut his way to the spider with his sword.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#125 Post by Lamech »

Willow will climb back down the ladder with her darts at the ready in case she gets a line of fire on anything. "Might I recommend getting everyone clear of webs and falling back? I know there is the kid, but z=I don't think we should be adding to the body count... Also are we really sure we should hand the spider back over? The farmers seem to be a little under qualified, as evidenced by this whole fiasco."

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi says, We're not going anywhere until we free Jaskar. Then we can regroup and decide.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by drpete »

Round 8

The group listens intently to the sounds beyond the web, and watches for danger to Jaskar, still trapped in the web. Khawaji hacks at the web, trying to reach the spider. He makes some progress, but the web is tough, and it's clear that this will be a long process.

Willow climbs down the ladder with her darts at the ready. "Might I recommend getting everyone clear of webs and falling back? I know there is the kid, but z=I don't think we should be adding to the body count... Also are we really sure we should hand the spider back over? The farmers seem to be a little under qualified, as evidenced by this whole fiasco."

To this, Hazrahi responds, "We're not going anywhere until we free Jaskar. Then we can regroup and decide."

The berserkers and Jaskar redouble their efforts to escape. They make some progress, but not enough to matter, yet. Jaskar and the berserkers are all stuck tight (all had success in reducing the web hold on them, but not enough to move, yet. Jaskar reduces his hold from 24 to 17. While zero would be free of the web's hold, at 6 he'll be able to move enough to "fight" and at 3 he'll be able to move within the web, slowly.)

As they work, the group hears the brave, nameless berserker who forced his way through the web scream one final scream as the spider kills him! The spider hisses menacingly from beyond the web.

Technical stuff:

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#128 Post by tymir »

Jaskar continues trying to free himself.

Hamiya remains vigilant for the spider's return. Without taking her gaze from the webs she whispers fiercely The ancestors have told me the children yet live. I won't abandon them.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi continues to wait for the spider, net at the ready.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by drpete »

Rounds 9-12

Over the next half minute or so, things continue more or less as they had been. Jaskar and the berserkers struggle against the web. Khawaji hacks at it, trying to get through, and the others watch for signs of the spider's return.

As the moments tick by, you hear sounds like bowstrings, snapping. With great effort, the mighty Jaskar gets first an arm free, then another. Then he is able to move his legs. With a final tug, he pulls the web, weakened by Khawaji's blows, no doubt, from the walls. The web collapses in a heap, freeing him and one of the berserkers. This collapse of the web allows you all now to see into the space beyond. Immediately visible in the 30x30 room is the spider, which seems to have been wrapping the fallen berserker's body in webbing, and a large black altar on the north wall, half covered in webbing.

Since the web is collapsed (technically a critical hit causing knockdown) You guys can all shoot/throw into the room, and move north (at half speed) through the web, if you like.
Jaskar, I'm under the impression you were trying to go *through* the web, so you can be on the other side at this point, if you want

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Rex »

Khawaji will attempt to close with the spider as fast as possible. (Run/Charge/Whatever, his base move is 150')

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by sulldawga »

Hazrahi closes with the spider and tosses the net over it.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#133 Post by tymir »

Jaskar and Hamiya will move with the group to provide light.

These things are worth good gold alive! says Jaskar

We put down dogs that bite their owners where I come from.
rasps Hamiya These spiders seem demon-touched.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by drpete »

Khawaji is closing to attack with his sword, yes?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by drpete »

Round 13-14

Khawaji and Hazrahi rush across the webbing to deal with the spider. Khawaji and the berserker who was freed when Jaskar brought down the net attack the spider, trying to kill it. Their blows only enrage it, though, and it swipes at the berserker, eviscerating him and sending his body flying back into the web. Before it can do more, Hazrahi gets his net over the spider. The spider squirms and tries to bite at Hazrahi, but Hazrahi is able to twist the net and immobilize the spider before it can do any more harm.

Both spiders are subdued! What next?

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#136 Post by Lamech »

"Okay, we need to find the children." Willow says looking around.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Rex »

Khawaji and Solomon will both search the area for the children.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#138 Post by tymir »

Hamiya eyes the captured spider warily as she moves past it. Her vulture lands beside her hopping nervously from foot to foot. She goes to inspect the altar.

Jaskar looks for signs of the missing children.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by sulldawga »

I'd stay away from that altar until I check it out.

Assuming he can safely concentrate on the spell and also hold the net, Hazrahi uses his Detect Evil ability.

tymir
Tracker
Tracker

#140 Post by tymir »

Hamiya stops short of the altar and nods to the paladin.
Jaskar 7/7

Hamiya 7/7

Return to “The Great Thirst (ACKS)”