Chapter 1: A New Dawn for New Dathan

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: A New Dawn for New Dathan

#21 Post by Zhym »

Elethil shakes his head as if to clear it. "You are right. That did not sound much like me, did it? So much of my life recently is speaking for others, I occasionally forget how to speak as myself."

"What are you hearing?" he asks, settling down to business. "Are the people growing more accepting of the Brotherhood's mission?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rukellian »

The barkeep nods in understanding, a relieved smile on his face. He too then settles down to business.

"Public outreach within New Dathan has had some mixed success. Some people are taking to the Brotherhood's mission with the proper mindset, willing to give it a chance to see where it goes, and others are more thick-headed, or perhaps just simply refuse to change their ways." The barkeep wipes his brow with a handkerchief and sits down, his loose smile from earlier starting to waver. "We've had a few close calls, but fortunately there have been no serious problems as of late.... mostly."

He looks up and makes direct eye contact with the ambassador, a serious expression now matching his grave tone. "I am glad you dropped by, there was a matter I was hoping you could look into. A Brother was stationed at a mining town in the far west, bordering the Great Forest. We have not heard from him in months. His last missive was quite unsettling as well, hinting towards an imbalance of some kind. If magic is at the root of this problem, we have an obligation to look into and put an end to any problems it may be causing."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Zhym »

"Indeed," agrees Elethil. "I will gather those who would join me and set out at once."

He returns to the common room and seeks out Flynn. "If you are feeling the urge to escape the walls of this city and see some action, I may be able to help."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by tooleychris »

"Spledid!" smiles the swashbuckler. "Some daring-do? Some heart pounding adventure would do me fine!"
He looks around then whispers with a grin "Perhaps we should discuss it else where?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rukellian »

wolfpack wrote:Seeing the mans situation rouses Akabels curiosity. he gets to flagons of ale from the barkeep and heads to the table.

So tell me good sir what are your troubles, perhaps the knowledge of the all father can help ease your mind.

"Perhaps," the man nods as he accepts another ale. "Tell me then, does the all father dispel nightmares? Because no matter how much drink I put into me, the horrid scenes keep on coming back at night."

He holds his head with exhaustion. "They are getting worse too."
The man looks as if he has been on the road for a long time, his clothes all tattered and his face smudged with dirt and battle scars, some of them fresh. Unshaven and hair all tangly, you'd think him a filthy beggar of the streets, if not for his aura of strength. He goes on to describe these nightmares he's been having, horrible visions of his town burning to the ground, flickering shadows always haunting his every step as he runs. Faces he once knew turned ghastly, and there would always be a long wailing scream following him around, not too loud, but THERE and never goes away during the nightmares.

He's traveled many days, away from the mining town where he once called home, in the hopes of finding someone who can dispel these horrible visions of the night. No man of God has been able to help him thus far, their prayers and well wishes doing little to help him at night. He is convinced that these are no ordinary nightmares, but he doesn't know who to go to for help, or what to do for himself for that matter.

It is at this point that most of the morning crowd is gone, but a few individuals stayed behind to hear the man's story. Akabel the cleric, Mehath the warrior-thief, Eric the druid, and Flynn Ryder the swashbuckler and friend of Elithil, the elven ambassador. Exiting the backroom while following Elithil out, the barkeep overhears the man's tale and proceeds to close the door to the tavern, sensing that this story may not be good for any more of his patron's ears.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Nuke66 »

"What would you ask of us my good man?" the leather clad man asks. "I may be willing to help, giving the circumstances."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by wolfpack »

Are these memories or are they dreams? They could perhaps be an omen, from wence do you hail?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Rukellian »

wolfpack wrote:Are these memories or are they dreams? They could perhaps be an omen, from wence do you hail?
"Iron Glade, a mining outpost to the west, just near the border of the Great Forest.

If they are memories, I know not from where they come...."

He looks up towards the leather clad man and says quite simply. "If you know someone who has heard of evils like this, I should like to speak with him, help make sense of this all, and if I am to believe any of what I've seen, heard, then Iron Glade is in danger, but from what I don't know."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

"Perhaps these are not dreams or memories but summons? Not my specialty, but I have seen strange enough to know you can't discount any possibilities." Mehath looks around the room, "I would be willing to help look into it."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by wolfpack »

The all father will often send omens. This could very well be such, I feel it is my duty to travel to this hamlet and see for myself.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

"I agree with Akabel, seems like someone needs to go. Would you mind a companion?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

"This is the opportunity I was going to speak to you about," Elethil tells Flynn.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by wolfpack »

Akabel nods towards mehath.

Companions are welcome. I am Akabel warrior priest of the great all father Odin.

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by tooleychris »

"We're investigating an obvious drunkards dreams?" Flynn chuckles shaking his head.
"No slight meant, sir. " he says to the man telling the tales. It's not exactly as riveting as our last adventures..." he now says to Elethil. Flynn thinks a moment then stands. "My elven friend here isn't one ta waste the time on the frivolous. I'll toss my blade into the mix. Hope it pays better than our last haul." he claps Elethil on the back. "Time ta scrap some barnacles off me arse and see where the wind takes me."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

Elethil glances quickly at the bartender. "I have heard other reports of troubles in Iron Glade. The reports spoke of an imbalance, but were no more specific. If the troubles are manifesting in dreams, that is reason enough for further investigation."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rukellian »

The man who spoke of the nightmares stands up when the conversation ends. He looks each person in the eyes before wiping his face with a gloved hand. "I feel as if I have met the right people." He says simply with a nod of the head. "When I have sobered from my drink, I shall be ready to depart and lead you to Iron Glade. I pray that my home is still in once piece when we arrive." He leaves the tavern, a few coins left on the table for payment of drinks. The coins are not copper, but gold. The barkeep looks towards the direction of the man who just left, surprised to see him pay that much.

-----

It is assumed at this point that everyone has bought what they needed to start off the adventure. If there is any other business that you want to take care of while inside the walls of New Dathan, now would be the time. Akabel's plate armor is being worked on by Whitsell at the nearby forge. It shall be ready for use when Akabel sets out.

Will Flynn be taking Amberlynn with him, or leaving her at the docks to help prepare the ship and train crewman?

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by tooleychris »

"Half a moment ta tell me dove I'll be away a bit an I'll be ship shape." Flynn says heading for the door."Weren't plannin on extended excursions when I left 'er on the boat."
Last edited by tooleychris on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Zhym »

"I should report and explain my upcoming absence to the High King," says Ambassador Elethil. "I will return ere we set out."

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by wolfpack »

I must go to the forge and colect my new armor.

With that Akabel drains his tankard and heads out the door.

Return to “Dark Eye of the East (OSRIC)”