Chapter 1: A New Dawn for New Dathan

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Chapter 1: A New Dawn for New Dathan

#1 Post by Rukellian »

medieval streets with church top view.jpg
medieval streets with church top view.jpg (145.76 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
The pounding of metal against anvil ringed throughout the early morning air. The streets are just starting to stir and the morning poultry is going through its wake up calls. It is late autumn, and there had a been rainfall just the night prior, a welcome blessing for the many who worked the fields. It is on this damp autumn morning that the anniversary of High King Benegal's reign is marked. The streets of New Dathan are marked with celebratory ornamentation and the shops are kept open a bit longer than usual. The upcoming festivities are just around the corner and all of the city's citizens prepare in earnest, in their own ways of course.

Captain of the guard, Hal, surveys the streets once more, making sure the rogues of the underworld and the mages of wicked intent are kept at bay. Under the direct command of King Benegal himself, he has worked with Whitsell the Demonslayer in helping keep this jewel of human civilization civil, and most importantly, safe from the corrupting influences found just outside its walls, and the natural tendencies of man's dark nature. Under Hal's watch, crime has gone down considerably, and he intends on keeping it under his boot so long as he is in the position to do so. Whitsell, normally Hal's right-hand man in carrying out the king's order and laws, can instead be found at the local smithy today. His devout belief in the works of Karnagee still have not waned, and he continues to work metal for his lord's name. He has grown to be both competent in forging metals and using them in combat, always a help to many in more ways than one. Though he has taken a respite from the adventuring life, his daily duties serving the king and his people more than keep him busy and entertained, for he is a simple man by nature.

The Brotherhood of Prometheus has risen from the shadows of magic's tainted past and has cast a light on its true nature. Magic is a tool, to be used for the good and the benefit of one's fellow man. It is only those who are wicked and evil by nature that uses magic for wrongdoing and casts a black image upon it. The Brotherhood's roles in New Dathan society are many, for they are the shopkeepers of the market district, the farmhands of the agricultural, rich nobles of distinction in the upper courts and the everyday laborer found crafting walls of stone for his king. The Brotherhood is comprised of everyday people who learn and help teach beneficial magics to those who are willing to listen and give it a chance. The Brotherhood teaches, practices, and also safeguards magics, making sure that those who would use it for evil or malign intent is stopped and brought to justice. Not everyone has been able to get rid of their fear of what magic is, nor do some show any willingness to tolerate it, but that in itself is also the natural way of things.

Relations with the other kingdoms are slowly improving, with King Benegal in charge of the human domains of Kinra. Slavery is being dismantled in the southwestern peaks of the Dusty Mountains, and over the high seas in the east, just one of Benegal's missions for humanity that he has and still continues to successfully carry out. The elves of the great forests to the west show proper respect for the king and his actions, recognizing that he is liberating their physical chains and their mental ones too (fear/intolerance of magic). Through the efforts of Matkinsai, King Benegal's court wizard, and Elithil, ambassador to the elven clans, diplomatic relations continue to prosper. Even the dwarves have started to take notice of events south of their mountain strongholds, for better or worse.

It is during this time of great change that New Dathan and its many people's enter a new dawn of humanity. What greatness will the subjects of King Benegal achieve in the days to come? Will his allies come to his aid when needed most? For with every time of peace, there is always an end, and eventually, the cycle of conflict will arise once more...

This story in particular starts within a familiar place. Those who come from outside of New Dathan's walls, and those who seek respite for their daily toils within the walls, always come by the Red Rock Inn for drink and laughter.
Inside a Tavern and or Inn.jpg
Inside a Tavern and or Inn.jpg (159.06 KiB) Viewed 1205 times
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: A New Dawn for New Dathan

#2 Post by wolfpack »

Akabel adjusts his eye patch as he walks into the bar. Surveying the scene with his one good eye, Walking to the bar he boisteriously orders.

One ale good barkeep

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rukellian »

The patrons of the Red Rock Inn are few in number, but tis only early morning. The barkeep nods to the young man before him and brings out an ale. "Rough night, or a rough day ahead?" he asks with a smile.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by tooleychris »

A blond haired human man walks through the doors into the tavern. He wears black knit pants and a loose flowing white shirt with over sized sleeves. A dagger and rapier hang from opposite sides of his belt. He carries, or of all things a basket of muffins.
Walking up to the bar he smiles and hands the man tending the patrons the basket.
"G'morn." he offers the man. "Amberlynn offers these with' er love. Cornbread and poppy seed muffins t'day. Not bad neither, tho better with a pelt a butter an honey, I'd bet. "
He looks around the room then back to the man, "Think maybe a brandy ta wet the whistle this morn, eh? Just one, mind ya."
He wipes some muffin crumbs from his chin and continues. "So anythin excitin goin on t'day?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

Elethil Noldorin, Elven Ambassador, has little time to loiter in a tavern. What little time he has after his diplomatic duties is spent advising and shepherding the Brothers of Prometheus. The latter is what brings him here. The bartender is a member of the Brothers who has been working on public outreach—a task for which a bartender is particularly suited.

Dropping by the bar to check in on the bartender's progress, Elethil spots Flynn. No one from his old adventuring party could easily be called a friend, except perhaps Rand—the humans mistrusted elves and the only other elf in the bunch tried to kill him. But Flynn was always fair to him, and seemed to come around more quickly than some of the others.

Elethil bows his head in greeting. "Flynn," he says cordially. His yellow cat eyes regard the man warmly. "I do not believe I have seen you since shortly after we defeated Fenrin. How are you? Well, I hope? And Amberlynn?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by wolfpack »

Akabel grunts.

All the days are rough when in service of the all father, but ale makes the nights better.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Mehath walks into the Red Rock Inn seeking some breakfast. Hail Barkeep, a glorious morn is it not? Working his way to a table at the edge of the room he sits with his back to the wall and tilts his chair back. May I get some eggs and a brandy to break my fast with?

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn smiles at the elf, Mister ambassador.
It is good to see you. We are well. Not as busy as you, I think."
he sips his brandy. "The lady and I have had it rather leisurely of late. A bit too leisurely, if ya take my meanin. City life is nice for a holiday but I don't wanna get too soft."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rukellian »

The barkeep nods his head knowingly, having met many men who follow their lives in devotion to a higher calling. He keeps his tongue though and instead directs it towards someone else, the bearer of muffins. "Your sweetheart spoils my patrons so. She butterin' us up for something?" The barkeep winks in good humor and laughs. "I be only messing with you, boy! Though, now that I speak of it, butter would go might fine with these muffins."

The barkeep responds to Mehath, "a glorious morn indeed. I hear two brandies and a plate of eggs? Of course lads, but a moment then." The burly man in the apron shouts towards someone in the back. As if on a cue, a waitress of homely appearance appears with the eggs. Two mugs of brandy follow shortly afterward.

The inn quickly becomes lively as more of the city folk start to pour in for their morning meal. The barkeep, not having forgotten Elithil's entrance, nods a courteous nod in his direction, one that silently says 'we can talk in a bit'. A few of the patrons that come in, notices the big muscular elf with long jet-black hair, and cannot help but point in slight awe. Though the other races have been seen a bit more regularly within the walls of New Dathan these past few months, they are still treated with suspicion and a general sense of wariness, a xenophobic discomfort amongst some that are hard to shake off.

"This week is a time for celebration, so has the king proclaimed. The people have worked hard for these upcoming days, to provide good food and entertainment, the freedoms allowed by our king's just rule. Come all, sit down and enjoy the morning break." The barkeep raises a basket full of muffins up in the air. "We have freshly baked goods, courtesy of one of our fair maidens of New Dathan!" The many men in the room cheer, raising mugs.

It is then that a familiar face pops his head in with a smile. "Did I hear talk of freshly baked goods?" It is none other than Captain Hal, stopping by on his morning rounds. Though it is a time of celebration for all of New Dathan, no, especially because everyone will be focusing on celebrating, Hal and his men continue to work for the king and keep the city safe during its festivities.
captain hal close up.JPG
captain hal close up.JPG (38.69 KiB) Viewed 1172 times

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn smiles at the crowd gathering. Content to see many happy faces. Then raises his cup at the captain as he enters. Ignoring those pointing at the large elf he says "I assume it's more than happy chance that brings our stout elven ambassador into the tavern with us commoners?" he says to Elithil.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

Mehath takes his plate of eggs and brandy. "Thank you" he says with a grin to the serving wench. As Captain Hal walks in he nods in his direction in greeting and returns to his drink, scanning the room and enjoying listening and watching the other morning patrons.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Nuke66 »

Without any fanfare, the door open and in walks a human male with flowing red hair, Dressed in leathers and holding a staff. He saunters up to the bar and waits to be addressed before requesting some food. "Some eggs , fruit and a glass of milk if you would my good man."
He takes a seat and acknowledges the rest of the patrons. "Top of the mornin' to you fellows."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rukellian »

Nuke66 wrote:Without any fanfare, the door open and in walks, a human male with flowing red hair, Dressed in leathers and holding a staff. He saunters up to the bar and waits to be addressed before requesting some food. "Some eggs, fruit and a glass of milk if you would my good man."
He takes a seat and acknowledges the rest of the patrons. "Top of the mornin' to you fellows."
The barkeep acknowledges the young man with red hair and notices his choice in bringing a staff into the public. He nods his head as if confirming something and smiles. "Fresh from the farms, New Dathan's finest!" Other patrons, too, notice the staff and start whispering amongst themselves.

Elithil:
"It is the good people of New Dathan, its commoners, who are the true voices of the kingdom. I listen to what they have to say and bring their problems to the ears of higher nobles when the opportunity arises, of course; but it is as you say, Flynn. I have an appointment with the fine owner of this establishment, matters of business that falls within my jurisdiction."

The barkeep raises an eyebrow in response to this, mildly surprised that the elven ambassador would say so much in front of one of his patrons.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Nuke66 »

Eric seems to be a bit confused, he looks at the piece of wood in his hands trying to ascertain it it looks purple or something,

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by wolfpack »

Akabel remoians quiet taking in those around him he moves a few spots over from the red haired man with the staff.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Mehath turns to the newly entered red head "Good morning to you as well."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by tooleychris »

Flynn merely observes the staff carrying man and the reactions of the crowd, with a smirk. "At least he doesn't have a pointy hat with stars adorning it." he says to Elithil. "Or worse yet, if he were also an ELF." he whispers with a chuckle. "Aye, Aye. I'll leave you to your business with the proprietor of this fine establishment. Maybe give me a nod on yer way out, eh?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rukellian »

It is after some time goes by, when the tavern settles into the everyday rhythm of boisterous laughter and casual chatter, that the barkeep takes a break from his duties and motions for Elithil to follow him into a back room. When it is just the two of them, he speaks to the elven ambassador in a quiet voice.

"That wasn't really you just now, was it? Your choice of words, the way you carried yourself, it was as if I was listening to a different person speaking." He pauses for a moment, before continuing. "Is there something I need to know before I give my update?"

-----

Whilst in the main hall of the tavern, the locals gossip about the events of the festivities that are to be held today, but one odd traveler, quite ragged in appearance upon closer inspection, had a different story to tell. A few patrons listened but quickly lost interest when the topic got uncomfortable. Already, a few emptied mugs can be found on the man's table. Whatever it is he's dealing with, it looks like he is trying to drink the memory away.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by wolfpack »

Seeing the mans situation rouses Akabels curiosity. he gets to flagons of ale from the barkeep and heads to the table.

So tell me good sir what are your troubles, perhaps the knowledge of the all father can help ease your mind.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rukellian »

I edited the last post to add to Elithil's conversation.

------

"Perhaps," the man nods as he accepts another ale. "Tell me then, does the all father dispel nightmares? Because no matter how much drink I put into me, the horrid scenes keep on coming back at night."

He holds his head with exhaustion. "They are getting worse too."

Return to “Dark Eye of the East (OSRIC)”