Chapter 1: A New Dawn for New Dathan

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 1: A New Dawn for New Dathan

#241 Post by Rukellian »

"Games?" It's Moldevay's turn to raise his eyebrow, a feigned look of being hurt spread across his face. "You wound me! These 'games' are my livelihood, tools of the trade." He shrugs and throws his hands up dramatically.

"Fine. You want me to give it to you straight, I'll give it to you straight. This bloody pit in the ground is cursed, or more specifically an item entombed within the earth is cursed. Like with all forms of malevolent magic, I've been sent here to guarantee its destruction. So, back to MY question. What are you all doing way out here? How much do you know? Depending on how you answer, my job is about to become either that much easier, or harder."
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#242 Post by Zhym »

Elethil nods slowly, his gaze not leaving the man who now calls himself Mordenkainen. He sighs again and shrugs. "We heard that there was trouble here of a sort that suggested dark magics may be involved. Our order lost contact with a Brother who was stationed here. His last message hinted at some sort of imbalance. We also met the man who just left. He has been having visions and nightmares portending of a disaster that would strike this mining town. So we came here to investigate."

"When we arrived yesterday, we found the town deserted. Our searches uncovered few clues, so we took an empty room for the night. Now here we are."

"You seem to know more about what's going on here than we do. Where was everyone? What is happening to this town?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#243 Post by Rex »

Mehath

"And perhaps most important of all, what is the item?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#244 Post by Nuke66 »

Eric listens quietly to the discussion before responding. "We were traveling this way and are surprised by this abandoned village. Too late to investigate, we took our rest. Now that you have awakened us we may continue to look about, but I agree, there is imbalance about."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#245 Post by Rukellian »

"There is indeed an imbalance at work here. To those who can recognize it, it is only natural to want to fix it." Mordenkainen Moldevay nods to Eric approvingly, having confirmed something mentally about the man. "Maintaining the balance will require destroying the evil source of magic here. Already it has claimed the minds of these simple men and already has it wrought senseless destruction upon the land." His eyes slowly sweep the audience before him and eventually lands back on Elithil's, as if to make a point when saying that last bit. Could this man understand the values that an elf and druid would hold dear, a deep appreciation for the land? Perhaps, but one would assume then that he is just using that knowledge to manipulate them. This doesn't come as a surprise to Flynn or Elithil.

"As to what the item of evil magic is, it is one of the keys to the closed eye. A relic that heralds back to the ages before man, back when magic was near its truest, most dangerous form, the magic of ancient demons and divines. Your Brother Bolden was right to send a warning about Iron Glade's safety, but if my investigations of the open-pit are accurate, then it is already too late for him. The magical item twisted him just like the Fabricator of Planes twisted Fenrin. Such is the nature of all-powerful forms of magic. It was never meant to be used by human hands. That's why my order exists, to rid the world of such cursed objects and any who would seek to use them."

He stands up suddenly and smooths his clothing out again. "You now know why I'm here, what I'm after, and what has been the cause of your nightmares." The last bit was directed right at the Iron Glade Man, whom for the whole duration of the conversation has remained silent. "I am going to the open-pit mine to locate the source of the imbalance and destroy it." No permission asked, no invitation to join him extended. Having learned of the group's attention, and saying what he wanted to say, Lord Mordenkainen Moldevay leaves and 'tends to his business.'
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#246 Post by Nuke66 »

"Is there any assistance we may offer, since our paths are turning in the same direction?" Eric calls after the man.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#247 Post by Zhym »

"Well, I suppose he has everything under control and we can all go home," deadpans Elethil.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#248 Post by Rukellian »

Flynn Ryder

"I'm not a fan of wasted trips. Since we are here, I say we look into this matter ourselves. That man may be confident in finding the item, but can he really destroy it just like that? And that Brother Bolden fellow. He's important to the Brotherhood, right? Can we really take Moldevay's word and say that Bolden is a lost cause, that he can't be found and saved?"

Flynn makes it clear that he wants to see this through to the end and not just give up and go back to New Dathan. His pride prevents him from doing so. Sitting up suddenly, he tells everyone that he too will go to the open-pit mine and join Akabel in his investigation.

The Iron Glade Man speaks up as Eric's volunteer for help goes unanswered. "He didn't really sound like the sort of person to ask for help, perhaps even too proud to accept it? I don't like this situation, I've still got a bad feeling about it all like it won't end well unless we do something about it ourselves."

"I'm going to go speak to Haeger about what's going on, let him know what we are up to, see if I can't get a few answers out of him. I'll meet you all at the mine soon enough, that is... if you are still going to help."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#249 Post by Rex »

Mehath

"Agreed, we need to see this through and I don't trust him."

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#251 Post by Rukellian »

The group departs from the room in the Red Rock Inn, determined to learn the truth of the matter at hand. To hear an explanation from a shady assassin is one thing, to see it with your own eyes and confirm it amongst allies is another. Not many people try to stop and ask what you are doing here, surprising considering how close-knit this community looks. Perhaps they avoid speaking to you out of fear of the unknown. They did just wake to news of the forest nearby burning down, and everyone has been having horrible nightmares lately, a tale heard from the bits of gossip that you manage to pick up along the way to the open-pit mine.

Akabel and Flynn can be found near the bottom of the open pit, engaged in conversation with whom you can only guess to be the person in charge of the workers. The Iron Glade Man is nowhere in sight, no doubt still talking with or looking for Haeger, the town's mayor.

It's as plain as day that everyone in town looks exhausted as if they haven't been sleeping properly. Bit of conversation overhead explains that this exhaustion doesn't make sense to most of the townspeople. Not everyone works in the mines after all, and those who usually do look close to collapsing.

Actions?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#252 Post by Rex »

Mehath

"Time to head into the mines I think, everybody in?"

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#253 Post by Rukellian »

Akabel and Flynn both nod their head, confirming their readiness to enter the mine.

The information that the two gleaned from a conversation with the foreman is shared with everyone as they arrive. The strange events that the Iron Glade Man spoke of, happened to very few people, at first. But shortly after he left to send for help, the townsfolk of Iron Glade started to show more signs of lost sleep, the number of people growing with each passing day. Eventually, everyone was tired and seemed to experience bouts of lost time.

Coincidently enough, the mine's excavation progressed with leaps and bounds, seemingly overnight. Some think the two strange events are connected. The foreman is more upset that the work inside was sloppy, the tunnels expanding in directions that didn't make sense. Certain sections of the mine weren't supported properly and are at risk of collapse. Normally they would retrieve more lumber from the nearby forest, but with it having tragically burnt down, the excavation project can no longer be done safely, that is if they want to continue expanding into the earth.

Flynn asked the foreman of the excavation if a trader in fancy attire passed through here recently. The foreman claimed that no one of that description entered this site, or the mine for that matter, not recently.

The Iron Glade man eventually returns from his quick stop at Haeger's office and tells the others no more than what they already knew, the one exception being that Brother Bolden has gone missing. No one recalls when he disappeared, but it couldn't have been longer than a couple of nights ago.

If no other questions are asked, and everyone is ready, the group enters the mine of Iron Glade's open pit. The entrance is wide enough for 3 people to march side by side and stands just 10 feet high. There is a decent amount of lighting near the entrance and main veins of the mine, but the foreman explained that the branches further into the place weren't lit properly.

Since there are only three active people right now, I will allow you all to establish marching order for the NPCs. Note that Flynn has a ranged attack option and that Akabel is strictly melee-oriented but decently armored with a shield. His character would most likely volunteer to take the front and lead the group.

"Evil seems to love hanging out in dark places. This mine may prove to be no exception!" Comments Flynn as he checks his equipment and makes sure his bow is stringed.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#254 Post by Rex »

Mehath will volunteer for the second rank, ready with his crossbow. He is ready to go in.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#256 Post by Zhym »

Elithil proceeds along the path that appears to have been laid out for him.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#257 Post by Rukellian »

As far as the interior of the mine is concerned, the path has indeed already been laid out, up to a point. (I'm not going to create a map for this part, no need really.) Reaching the end of the hung lanterns that helped keep the excavation areas lit, the walkway diverges into 3 paths, all enshrouded in natural darkness. There are no wooden supports in place beyond the multiple paths, as far as you can see.

Current marching order is Akabel and Elithil up front, Eric and Mehath in the middle, and Flynn bringing up the rear. The Iron Glade Man did not follow.

Actions?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#258 Post by Rex »

Mehath

Mehath will examine each path and see if he can determine where the most traffic has been.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#259 Post by Rukellian »

A closer inspection of the three paths reveals that there is more foot traffic taking place on the left path, having more than one set of footprints leading in and out of it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#260 Post by Zhym »

Elethil leads the way left.

Return to “Dark Eye of the East (OSRIC)”