Character Creation Thread

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation Thread

#1 Post by Rukellian »

I will post some information here and there on the character creation for this campaign.

The starting gold values are here:

Clerics and Druids dice roll is 3d6 X 10
Fighters, Rangers and Paladins dice roll is 3d6+2 X 10
Thieves and Assassins is 2d6 X 10
Magic Users and Illusionists is 2d4 X 10
Multi Class characters use the highest dice roll from their classes

The ability stats will be determined by the 4d6 cut the lowest dice roll method. You may assign the resulting numbers in any way you want. Note that certain classes in the OSRIC ruleset have prerequesite ability score values, in order to be that class you will need to fit those requirements. I will not allow anyone to raise an existing ability score, but you may decrease one if necessary.

Everyone will also start off with full HP for their first level. Check the OSRIC pdf for reference.

We will be using the Unseen Servant Dice Roller for our campaign. My campaign ID is 570.

If there is anything else that needs to be added here, feel free to leave a post suggesting it, and I will update this thread accordingly. Have fun making those characters!
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation Thread

#2 Post by Rukellian »

Weapon specilization is only applicable to Fighters, Paladins and Rangers. So if a person is multi classing as a fighter/magic user, then they would be allowed to weapon specialize, given the fighter part of the equation. If a person multi classes as a magic user/assassin, no weapon specialization is possible. So to clarify, here is a list of the classes that can and cannot specialize in weapons:

Fighters, Paladins, and Rangers can specialize in weapons
Thieves, Assassins, Clerics, Magic Users, Druids, and Illusionists cannot specialize in weapons

If you are multi classing, and one of your classes is fighter, paladin, or ranger, you can specialize in weapons.

In regards to buying equipment and supplies, here is what I have to say on this. I'm going to assume that when we start the campaign, the players have already bought everything they needed, a prepared adventurer if you will. If the characters need to sidetrack and hit the local market for their adventuring gear, that takes time away from the story and slows down the process, naturally. Now, you guys will get to experience the market environment eventually, going up to merchants and craftsmen to do business, but that will come at a later time.

The only thing that is free right now for all players would be the starting traveling clothes and a spellbook if they are part MU. Characters being carried over from the first equipment has their inventories preserved, except for the wealth.

So with that said, I suggest you all set up your inventories and adjust your wealth accordingly. When everything is said and done, we should all be ready to jump right into the story! :D
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zhym »

Here's Elethil Noldorin, moved over from the old campaign:

Elethil Noldorin
Elven Fighter/Magic-User
Level 5/4
Alignment: Lawful Good

Attributes & Stats
STR: 18/00 (+3 TH, +6 Dmg, +300 lbs, Open: 1-5(1), BBLG: 40%)
INT: 10 (Learn Spells: 45%, Min-Max/Level: 5-7)
WIS: 10
DEX: 16 (Surprise: +1, Missile: +1, AC: -2)
CON: 15 (+1 HP; Res.: 94%; Sys. Shock: 91%)
CHR: 7 (Max henchmen: 3, Loyalty: -10%, Reaction: -5%)

HP: 29/29
AC (Front/Rear/No Shield): 2/5/3
THAC0: 16
XP: 8,552*/10,979 (Needed: 16,000/22,000) (*10% bonus) (1603)
13,026/15,047 as of 3/16/15
15,501/17,297 as of 11/10/15
18,224/16,568 rebalance as of 11/10/15 (Needed: 35,000/22,000)

Saving Throws: RSW: 11 BW: 13 DPP: 11 PP: 12 SP: 12

Magic
Known spells:
1) Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Mending, Protection from Evil, Read Magic
2) Audible Glamour, Detect Evil

Memorized Spells (3/2)
1) Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Protection from Evil
2) Audible Glamour, Detect Evil

Attack & Damage by Weapon
Long sword (+7/+9): 1d8+9 (S,M), 1d12+9 (L) (Att. Rate 3/2)
Short sword (+5/+6): 1d6+6 (S,M), 1d8+6 (L)
Long bow of distance (+4/+2): 1d6 (S,M,L)

Abilities
Weapon Proficiencies: Long sword (Dlb. Spec.: +3/+3), Long bow, Short sword, Short bow
Languages: Common, elven, gnoll, gnomish, goblin, halfling, hobgoblin, orcish.

90% resistance to sleep and charm spells
+1 to hit with bow, long sword, short sword
Inrafvision: 60’
Detect secret doors: 1 in 6 (passing), 2 in 6 (searching), 3 in 6 (concealed)
Surprise: 4 in 6 chance to surprise when alone and in non-metal armor (2 in 6 if door must be opened)

Movement (120’ base)
0-335 lbs: 120’ (surprise +1)
336-370 lbs: 90’
371-405 lbs: 60’ (no surprise bonus)
406-450 lbs: 30’ (surprise -1)

Equipment
Elven chain mail
Large shield
Long sword
Long bow
Long bow of Distance (+2 to hit; x2 range)
Quiver & 24 arrows

Bedroll
Backpack
Blanket
Wineskin
Rations, 1 wk

Cloak, brown/black reversible

Whetstone
Flint and steel
Small silver mirror
Roll of twine
Grappling hook
Short shovel
Rope, 50'
Oil flask
Small sacks (2)
Coin purse
Chalk
Thieves' tools

Spellbook (disguised as "A Concise Guide to Human Clans, Customs, and History")
Sunshine's key
Emblem of the Order of the Knife

Description

Elethil resembles nothing so much as a pale, long-haired jungle cat, with unsettlingly bright canary-yellow eyes and jet-black hair kept braided or tied back. His facial features are severe and angular and rarely betray any emotion. At 5’8” tall and 120 lbs., Elethil is unusually large for an elf.
I can go look this up, but maybe you remember: was there any XP award at the end of the last game? What level are new characters starting out at?

Also, his wealth is within the range for starting gold, so how about we just keep that?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rukellian »

If I recall, the xp levels I have marked in the HP/XP thread should be accurate. I don't remember giving an endgame xp bonus, but If I'm wrong and forgot to add it, do let me know. Previous characters will still be at the level they finished the last game. I'm going to say that they were working under a time of peace and that they did just enough work to keep their current stats from lowering from disuse. Not that the latter is an actual game mechanic, its more of a roleplaying excuse, if that's the right term I want to use?

You can start with your current gold if it fits into the range of the starting gold rolls.

Also, in the last game, you kept the part about being part MU hidden. Do you want to go public with it in this game, now that magic is more tolerated in Kinra? I'd have to edit your XP information accordingly, and maybe your HP.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by wolfpack »

for new characters what level do we start at?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Zhym »

Elethil's XP and HP should be correct as posted in his character sheet. That was the "real" Elethil while everyone saw the public sheet.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rukellian »

5, if you are multi-classing, 4/4

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by wolfpack »

I had some good rolls with one bad one (a 6) I was going to make a fighetr, but seeing the 2 charcaters we have are fighters I will be a cleric of Odin.

hp rolls: [1d8+1] = 5+1 = 6
[1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9
[1d8+1] = 6+1 = 7
[1d8+1] = 7+1 = 8

and max at 1st level is 39

gold: [1d6] = 5
[1d6] = 6
[1d6] = 2

gold 130 is there any bonus for being 5th level?

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by wolfpack »

Do we just choose starting eqipment? like a ny normal armor or weapon we want?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rukellian »

If by choose equipment you mean buy with your starting gold, yes. However, because you are all starting with some levels on your belt, I will allow each new character to start with 1 weapon, armor, or item that your class would have. No need to pay for the one freebie. No bonus gold.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by wolfpack »

So can I have normal Plate mail, shield, and mace and then whatever else I buy?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rukellian »

One of those. You can have a good set of armor, a good weapon, or a good shield, but not all three at once. Since plate mail armor is expensive to buy in the beginning of a game, it would be a good starter freebie. You'd have to buy the rest of the stuff though or find it in your adventures.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rukellian »

Rex, can you show me your math for the xp calculations on your sheet? The point ranges shown fit with your 4/4 multi class level, but I'm not sure how you got what you did...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

start multi-class at 4/4 so:
minimum fighter xp would be 7750, minimum thief would be 5000
I get a 10% xp bonus for fighter but not thief so fighter needs to be 10% higher than thief
thief 7046 (4th level)
fighter 7046 x 10%=705, 7046+705=7751 (1 more than needed for 4th level)
would you like me to change them?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Also for my free item I took Thieves Tools (30gp value).

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by wolfpack »

Rukellian wrote:One of those. You can have a good set of armor, a good weapon, or a good shield, but not all three at once. Since plate mail armor is expensive to buy in the beginning of a game, it would be a good starter freebie. You'd have to buy the rest of the stuff though or find it in your adventures.

sounds good, plate it is.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rukellian »

Rex, those numbers will be fine for starting values. Wolfpack, you forgot to calculate bonus xp for the starting value, since you would of gotten some leveling up from 1. I have your current version on the XP/HP thread.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rukellian »

Minimum scores for Druid are: Str 6, Dex 6, Con 6, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 15 .

Minimum scores for Ranger are: Str 13, Dex 6, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 14, Cha 6

Based off of your roll, it looks like you can pull off a Ranger, but not a Ranger/Druid combo.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Also, there's an alignment conflict. Rangers have to be good while druids must be true neutral.

Return to “Dark Eye of the East (OSRIC)”