Episode 1 - An Unsettling Visitor

SilverBen
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Episode 1 - An Unsettling Visitor

#21 Post by Bluetongue »

Stig

Nodding politely and tucking his chair under the kitchen table, the elf warrior steps outside with the priest for a tour of the grounds.

"Maybe there is a ledger or register of the burial plots? Perhaps we could look at it later in case some unknown significance crops up?" he asks still trying to grasp the reason behind the vandalism and necromantic work."Was there any previous known cults about in the last years. My father never spoke on any trouble? Is such a Cult of Orcus possible?"

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by SilverBen »

Father Hannes spends the final hour of daylight giving your party a tour of the graveyard.
Attachments
Graveyard Map.pdf
(276.63 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by SilverBen »

Father Hannes leads the party in a tour of the graveyard grounds (OOG: See the Graveyard Map PDF posted above.
Note the outer black row of the map can be used to reference XY coordinates. Feel free to ask questions on specifics.
)
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Rex »

Teaeyrn

After walking the cemetery Tearyrn looks back over it "I think I should be by the middle fountain (OOC:M9) that way I would be centraly located if anyone needs healing or any undead show up with the necromancer so I could try to turn them. What do you think?"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by wolfpack »

The bigger question is do we split up or stay together in a central location.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Bluetongue »

Stig

"I would hate just to stay together and then we have to react to what this villain is doing. Maybe we need to secure parts of the graveyard as holding grounds. What about using the sheds and stores. Maybe that extra set of holy water could be stored in one of them, so if any undead arise we know where to get ammunition. Most undead I have read about tend to shuffle about the ground. So having a treehouse den above head height might be a good lookout post too. Shame none of those market owls could watch and wait for us."

Stig takes to drawing a copy of the graveyard in his notebook for further reference. He will study it and offer some suitable suggestions. I think we need to be proactive in defending the graveyard and chapel from intruders of whatever sort. Anyone good at making traps? perhaps the hunters from the market could sell us a couple of snares or even one of those metal jaw toothed bear traps to lay down in critical places?

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by SilverBen »

Bluetongue wrote:Stig
Stig ... Anyone good at making traps? perhaps the hunters from the market could sell us a couple of snares or even one of those metal jaw toothed bear traps to lay down in critical places?
(OOG:Bluetongue, I'm definitely awarding Stig additional XP for that great idea! I encourage players to make a Proficiency Roll for any proficiency listed in Chapter 5 of the Player's Handbook for Proficiencies. Please state what the character is trying to accomplish and then make the roll.

Here's a summary from the 2nd edition PHB: Each player, roll 1d20. If the roll is equal to or less than the character's adjusted ability score, the character accomplished what he was trying to do. If the roll is greater than the character's ability score, the character fails at the task. A roll of 20 always fails.

Since there is plenty of rope and basic supplies in the tool sheds, I suggest the following two:
Proficiency Roll for Rope Use: successful on 1d20 <= Intelligence - 1
Proficiency Roll for Set Snares: successful on 1d20 <= Dexterity -1
)

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by wolfpack »

I have some familiarirty with setting and disarming traps. Somthing simple like trip wires and snaes could work here, perhaps even arrow traps.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Teaeyrn

"I have no skill with traps but I am accustomed to hard work and I am a competent healer. If any one needs an extra set of hands to set something up, ask away. Otherwise I will stand watch from the central fountain"

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by wolfpack »

Rak will set snares at the most logical entry points. the gate, where the fence is lowest etc.

roll against dex : [1d20] = 14 passed

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by Bluetongue »

Stig

"well I am not so good at creating things, lots of ideas though." Stig will raid one of the sheds stores and using some string bind a load of pots and pans, watering cans, things that will rattle if tripped or pulled. He will set two of the tripwire alerts up, one between 5l and 4o obelisks and another between 13m and 13o. That's quite a lot of string attachments to make so that might take a few turns to set up.

How deep are the pools of water? Can someone walk across them, knee deep will be no problem to undead so we shouldn't discount that approach.

Maybe the kids could hammer a climbing rope up the biggest tree, one whose lowest branches are above reachable height so if we need to gain height to get out of some skeletons grasp we can climb up somewhere. can you mark a couple of likely trees?

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by SilverBen »

Father Hannes: "There may not be enough rope to set up the tripwires how you suggest, Master Stig. There are at most six lengths of 50' rope among all the supplies in the sheds. Setting them up between the two sets of obelisks there(OOG: between 5l and 4o obelisks) requires three lengths of rope and another three lengths there(OOG: between 13m and 13o.

Lucas, fetch us as many lengths of rope as you can and be quick. Tessa, go back to the kitchen and bring pots and pans, anything that will make noise and sound an alarm.

Father Hannes answers Stig, "Yes, true, the reflecting pools are quite shallow and can be easily traversed, perhaps knee deep for a human."

Father Hannes turns to Rakious: "This is all excellent preparation, Master Rakious, to set tripwires to alert us of intruders. You are deserving of a fine reward for that clever idea."

In less than ten minutes of game time, Rak and Stig have six lengths of 50' rope and several iron pots, glass bottles, ceramic pitchers, a decorative wind chime, and a brass bell with a clapper.

Father Hannes: "The sun is nearly set. If you want these length of rope stretched across between those obelisks for the night, then I have no objection. We can easily remove them by morning. Lucas can help you set up the tripwires or tie alarm items." Lucas drops the ropes and begins stacking items precariously on top of one another, ensuring they topple when disturbed even slightly.

(OOG: If this is the final action before sunset, then we can conclude this episode and move on to the next episode. Please finish up with any questions or actions that can be completed in 15 minutes of game time or less. The next episode will begin at nightfall in game time. Please respond by 11:59 PM Eastern on 6/17/2017)

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Bluetongue »

Stig will lay the trip ropes to alert us of intruders wandering about but it is like placing a mine in a field hoping the right person steps on it to set it off.

Afterwards he will follow the group to any place to watch through the night. As undead give off no infravision we need some torches or lanterns as well.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by wolfpack »

Rak will help finish up the trip wire alarms

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rex »

Teaeyrn

Teaeyrn will run back inside and get a lantern with an extra flask of oil. Then she sets herself up by the central fountain with the unlit lantern all set up so she can light it quickly if need be. "I have a lantern all set to be lit, but I am not going to light it yet, it won't give us enough light to see very far, will kill what little night vision we have and give away our location. I have a light spell available as a back up. I think it best we try to keep as silent as possible and out of sight from here on out."

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by SilverBen »

The sun sets as Father Hannes watches with his arms folded and a smile of admiration as Stig and Rak complete the arrangement of ropes.

Good show, good show, my sons. Those pots are balanced so finely, even the wind may topple them and send us all running in alarm for nothing. He chuckles in amusement at himself.

Father Hannes gathers the party, Tessa and Lucas. He gives them their assignment of duties for the night and adds, "Before I turn in for the night, I will offer my devotions that all this is unnecessary and that I have an overactive imagination - as some of my colleagues have scoffed. So stay alert and do not let me catch you sleeping, or I will revoke our agreement and see you off my premises faster than the owl snatches the mouse."

[Closing thread here and we will continue a new post for Episode 2. For transparency, I'll begin with some out of game discussion.]

Return to “A Graveyard Vigil - AD&D 2e”