Game Rules and Player Expectations

SilverBen
SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

Game Rules and Player Expectations

#1 Post by SilverBen »

Welcome to this play-by-post mini-adventure based on Lords of Darkness (ISBN-13: 978-0880386227). This topic establishes the game rules to ensure this game will be enjoyable for everyone. To achieve this goal, we must define what we consider "fun" and set reasonable expectations on gameplay. I encourage your constructive feedback.

The Rules and Expectations:
  1. At the DM's discretion, players may suggest using any rules published in the 2nd edition of AD&D. Please reference the book and section as clearly as possible. Otherwise, I'll offer alternatives or house rules to achieve the desired effect or intent.
  2. Please make posts as concise as possible. While some scenarios require lengthy descriptions, brevity is the key to success in play-by-post games.
  3. This adventure has a scripted plot line with clear objectives and a designated time limit. The DM is obligated to advise players when PC actions may jeopardize their objectives or time limits. These will be discussed later.
  4. Players should remain in character as much as possible but may add out of game comments using the out-of-game tags or simply separating comments in parenthesis with (OOG: ...)
  5. Party size: (average) three to six characters
    add a character background and description.
  6. Add a physical description and short background to your character. Both need not be more than a short paragraph giving your character some discernible physical description, a plausible history, and some hint at goals that align with the overall plot line.
  7. Average character level: 2.5, meaning the overall average for characters should be around midway between 2nd and 3rd level.
  8. Danger level: High, this is expected to be lethal, especially for the temple staff
  9. Terrain: Country temple and burial grounds with many obstacles
  10. Magic: High level spell casters are rare and elusive.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Game Rules and Player Expectations

#2 Post by SilverBen »

For Dice Rolling, I created Campaign ID 565 in the Unseen Servant Dice Roller.
http://www.unseenservant.com/default.as ... amp&id=565
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#3 Post by SilverBen »

In complete disclosure, I have included several spoilers below to help players set expectations. Click the SHOW button to reveal them, or just ignore and be prepared to be surprised.
The theme of this mini-adventure is action. The characters are presented with a task to defend the Temple and its staff. The characters will be confronted with challenges and obstacles to overcome in order to accomplish the task successfully.

The baseline goal of this adventure is survival. Encounters can be lethal.

The maximum duration of this mini-adventure is scripted to be one night in game time.

The majority of the terrain and obstacles will be randomized. I will provide tables and characters will roll to determine the results.

There is an optional encounter scripted: a foot chase, which will have special rules based on the 2nd edition Accessory Book, Den of Thieves. This will require patience on behalf of characters not pursuing the villain through the graveyard of many obstacles.

If players wish to have a really challenging combat, I can add other undead creatures to increase the difficulty. I will take a poll of players

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#4 Post by SilverBen »

Posting Response Times

I realize life has unexpected surprises, both enjoyable and uncomfortable. At other times, it can be challenging to post for a variety of valid reasons. My general policy on posting I request each player to notify the group when you know in advance that you will be unable to respond for more than a single 24 hour period. This helps set other players' expectations and makes the delays more tolerable. Please be specific and make the announcement time bound. I will begin with an actual example for myself:

I will not be available to respond to any posts from Tuesday night (Eastern Time, New Jersey), May 30, until Thursday night, June 1.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#5 Post by SilverBen »

Poll for all players, please respond by Thursday June 8. I prefer not to use exact maps and instead use theater of the mind. For example, I have attached a map here that can be used as a concept but not intended to be the exact map used for posting. Please post your feedback.
Attachments
vicarage.jpg
vicarage.jpg (500.79 KiB) Viewed 749 times

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by wolfpack »

I guess it depends on what we are talking about. The manor, an poutdoor setitng sure.

If you are talking a developed network of tunnels and rooms where a left turn or right turn makes a big difference then we need exact maps.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

That map looks fine. I assume we are talking about a church and its cemetery/out buildings. Don't need much in way of maps I doubt a rural church has extensive underground, most likely a crypt and separate cellar.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#8 Post by SilverBen »

wolfpack wrote:I guess it depends on what we are talking about. The manor, an poutdoor setitng sure.

If you are talking a developed network of tunnels and rooms where a left turn or right turn makes a big difference then we need exact maps.
Wolfpack, and other players as well, I'm open to your suggestions for maps.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#9 Post by SilverBen »

Rex wrote:That map looks fine. I assume we are talking about a church and its cemetery/out buildings. Don't need much in way of maps I doubt a rural church has extensive underground, most likely a crypt and separate cellar.
Rex, agreed, that was my thinking: a large graveyard with small church buildings as living quarters, occasional family crypts, but nothing too extensive underground. Often graveyards of the old world were placed in areas that were generally less valuable or productive, such as rocky sections of farmland, etc. I will repeat my offer to Wolfpack again here: I am open to any maps you suggest.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by SilverBen »

How about this image, as a concept, but our game would extend the graveyard to allow an exciting foot chase?
Attachments
graveyard_1.jpg
graveyard_1.jpg (552.93 KiB) Viewed 744 times

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Bluetongue »

Pics are fine if they are relevant, maps are good if accurate. detail in the descriptions particularly in noting strategic points. (likely hiding places, traps, portals, etc)

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by wolfpack »

I agree, somehitng like the graveyard in the above pic is fine as long as the description is complete.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Looks good to me.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#14 Post by SilverBen »

It got too late for me but I plan to post a basic map of the graveyard layout tomorrow. As we agreed above, the map is general and lists nothing more specific than the kind of obstacles in the area. I will leave the details to the theater of your mind when you post replies.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#15 Post by SilverBen »

Bluetongue wrote:Stig
"Was there any previous known cults about in the last years. My father never spoke on any trouble? Is such a Cult of Orcus possible?"
This is an interesting idea to expand the adventure and I would love to collaborate with you on it. What else are you proposing here? If its within the scope, theme, and plausible plot lines, then I am happy to develop it.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Bluetongue »

well Orcus was a demon lord of undead, not sure if he is in the devil section of the 1st ed monster manual. As an adventure we seek to survive the day, cue zombie apocalypse. What happens after I guess depends on what we discover about the villain.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by SilverBen »

Thanks, this is great and I'll leave story hooks open to follow this later. I'm not familiar with Orcus but will look it up in my 1st edition books. I'm more familiar with the 2nd edition.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by wolfpack »

correct Orcus was a demon prince of undead, he was in the demon section of 1st edition MM. There is a set of forgotten realms modules that deal with orcus, the bloodstone pass series.

Return to “A Graveyard Vigil - AD&D 2e”