Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

Zhym
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

#81 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant, master of spring:

The unassuming monk is as reserved with his speech as Emirikol is garrulous.
After listening carefully, he simply says, "Thank you, sir. What else do you know of the path before us?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote: "...most of you 'holy warrior' lot"—Emirikol jerks his head at Hallagad, standing ramrod straight and disapproving—"have your heads so far up your own butts about Law and Order you're no use to anyone but your own pride and ego. Vorkath was different. Honorable, brave, and all that, but also compassionate and forgiving."
"Nobody's perfect" interjects Hallagad, though he cracks a small smile and his coutenance softens. "Your offer of help is appreciated. Perhaps needed. You'll forgive me for doubting that your motives are altogether altrustic."

He nods in thanks as he puts a slice of cheese in his mouth.

"As others have asked - what's in it for you? My head's so far up my ass that I have to know these things."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Zhym »

When Tanner refuses the refreshments, Emirikol's manner chills. "Didn't your mother teach you that it's rude to refuse a host's hospitality?" he asks sharply. "That wine you will not drink is a Chateau Arvernien '35. It is an excellent vintage of one of the finest and rarest wines ever made. The grapes of Arvenien were stomped by tree nymphs. Did you know that? I would never sully such a nectar with poison or potion, if that's what you're thinking." He takes another drink from his own goblet. "Be assured, warrior, that if I bore you ill will I would have no need to result to such clumsy tricks."

He warms again in response to Hallgad's humor and self-effacement. "All I want is to help my old friend Vorkath. An eternity in hell is an ill fate for someone as virtuous as he was. I have no small vocabulary, but the only words I can think of—injustice, tragedy, travesty—pale in their insufficiency. The boat comes with no attachments, no conditions. As I said, I do not loan powerful magic items. So I am making this a gift, in the hope that you will use it to rescue Vorkath."

"I know nothing of the Temple of Neheod except its location," he tells the Master of Spring. "Of the path there—my advice is to stay in the boat until you reach the temple."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Urson »

Tanner

I apologize, sir. I did not mean any insult, and I sure didn't think you intended us harm. As for the ship, I do appreciate the gift. I have learned, painfully, that people are seldom open-handed with their posessions- especially things as valuable as Demonwing. So, I tend to assume the worst. Please, excuse my rough attitude.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#85 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo will partake of the refreshments and snacks after all no telling when a good meal will come again once venturing to the hells.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Inferno »

The passive sensei nods at Emirikol's counsel. "Thank you. When may we disembark?"
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Zhym »

"When may we disembark?" asks Khogeki.

"Right," says Emirikol. "Time's wasting." He makes a complicated series of gestures in the air with his left hand, snaps his fingers, and you are transported to a small wooden seaside dock. The black crystal spire rises two thousand feet into the air behind you. The Metalstorm again assaults your ears. Your brief audience with Emirikol the Chaotic is over.

At the end of the dock is a large, double-masted sailing ship unlike any you have ever seen. The ship appears to be made of stone. Carvings of leering faces and horrific skulls give the whole craft an eerie, demonic appearance. Large, bat-like wings stretch out from the sides of the hull just above the waterline.

A wooden plank leads from the ship's sterncastle to the dock on which you now stand.

-----
Time: May 16, 4:00 PM
Status: Malibran (H LG C20(Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14(Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: None
Light Sources: None

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by max_vale »

Xale Mav; Dwarven Warrior-Priest of Dalt

Xale had partaken in the refreshments and thanks Emirikol for his hospitality and more importantly, for the magical aide in begin able to get to thier mutual friend.

Taking in the ship; Xale takes a deep breath and then says to the others; "Well....are we ready to sail into Hell?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Inferno »

Joben Khogeki, the Unseen Servant:

The humble sensei regards the hull's depictions of demons, but the first of many lost souls they would soon encounter in the infernal regions of perdition. "Poor misfortunates. Their anger and hatred ultimately bring suffering and oppression only to themselves," he murmurs softly.

The monk calmly boards the hellship and examines its bridge.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#90 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo boards the ship "Well sailing we shall go. Off to hell as it were."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Urson »

Tanner

Tanner boards the ship, places his pack near the fore mast, and begins looking around. He's checking for sightlines, points where something could climb the sides, etc.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran examines the ship and doesn't like the aura that the etchings and carving convey one bit. 'Demonwing' he thinks... 'I suppose is a name appropriate for the journey we must undertake. Mighty Pholtus, i beg of you, to please provide me the strength and fortitude to weather this evil storm..."

He shakes his head further at the thought of a stone ship.. and follows his comrades on board...

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Norjax »

Rool boards and explores the deck of the chaos vessel. He looks for doors and hatches leading to enclosed areas of the ship.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by AleBelly »

Hallagad still doesn't completely trust the chaotic mage's motives, but boards the ship via the plank anyhow. He hope he isn't asked to steer the ship.

Just before boarding, he mumbles a quiet prayer to Pelor, asking forgiveness for boarding a ship bearing such a name.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#95 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

The Mage joins the rest of the party on the ship.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Zhym »

With some trepidation, you make your way up the gangplank and onto Demonwing. As soon as you are aboard, the gangplank pulls away from the dock and the ship sets sail—straight towards the Metalstorm!. As you watch in horror, expecting to be chopped to shreds, the environment around the ship changes, becoming blurry, grey, and insubstantial.

As you pass through, well, whatever this is, you take a closer look at the ship. You stand on the sterncastle. A hatch is set into the deck of worn and weathered wooden planks. No other access to the rest of the ship presents itself: there is no stair or ladder leading down from the sterncastle, only a stone railing stretching port side to starboard side. Just to the fore is a U-shaped quarterdeck, where a massive ship's wheel made entirely of bones occasionally turns, seemingly of its own accord. Beyond and below that is the main deck. Two masts rise from the deck 80 feet into the air. The sails seem to be made of a pale, pinkish leather, and are full even though the air is still. Huge demon visages adorn each sail. At the front of the ship is the forecastle. You see no crew on any of the decks. The ship appears to be sailing itself.
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.16.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-16 at 9.16.13 PM.png (196.82 KiB) Viewed 513 times
When the fog lifts a few minutes later, the ship is making its way down a black, polluted river almost 400 feet wide. To either side of the river a stark, rocky wasteland stretches to the horizon. The sky roils with a brooding storm of red thunderclouds.
88demonwing.jpg
88demonwing.jpg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Malibran, Xale, and Hallagad feel an emptiness. Each cleric, even the lowliest acolyte, has a connection to his or her god. The stronger the cleric, the stronger that connection. Until now. Malibran feels distant from Pholtus as he never has before, as does Xale from Dalt and Hallagad from Pelor. The holy men feel slightly nauseous, though the stone ship stays steady as a rock.
Clerical spellcasting ability is reduced to the following effective levels:

Malibran
Casting level 13 (Spell loss: 3/3/3/4/5/3/2)
Spells lost:
(1) "bless" "CLW" "PfE" (already used),
(2) "Augury" "hold person" "silence 15r"
(3) "locate object" "continual light" "cure disease"
(4) "PfE 10r" "lower water" "CSW" "divination"
(5) "plane shift" "commune" "raise dead" "CCW" "CCW"
(6) "heal" "find the path"
(7) All

Xale
Casting Level 9 (Spell loss: 2/2/3/3/2/2)
Spells lost:
(1) "Light" "Detect Evil"
(2) "Resist Fire" "Know Alignment"
(3) "Dispel Magic" "Glyph of Warding" "Cure Disease"
(4) "Neutralize Poison" "CSW" "Tongues"
(5) "Raise Dead" "Flame Strike"
(6) All

Hallagad
All spellcasting ability lost

Please make those changes to your sheets.
-----
Time: May 16, 4:20 PM
Status: Malibran (H LG C20[13](Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14[9](Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: None
Light Sources: None

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov

Rool approaches the hatch in the deck. He examines the construction to determine how it is accessed. He then listens for any sounds from the other side, careful not to touch any portion of the hatch.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Inferno »

The gentle monk remains at peace even as they enter Pandemonium in a possessed ship beneath sails fashioned of demon skin. He stands at the bow, looking forward without trepidation or anticipation.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT

#99 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo fascinated by the ship studies it in all it's glory trying to note every detail of the thing, a total mage nerding out on the magic involved in such a ship.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Zhym »

Norjax wrote:Rool approaches the hatch in the deck. He examines the construction to determine how it is accessed. He then listens for any sounds from the other side, careful not to touch any portion of the hatch.
An iron ring is set into the hatch.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”