Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

Zhym
max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

#101 Post by max_vale »

Xale Mav; Dwarven Warrior-Priest of Dalt

Xale feels miserable but he does his best to solider on and grasps his holy symbol while praying fervently to Dart that he will NEVER forget who and what he is.....a warrior and servant to his God no matter what or WHERE his adventures take him....

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Zhym »

You ride your ship Demonwing as it sails up the slow-moving current of what you assume is the river Styx. The black river narrows to about 100 feet wide. The shore and surrounding terrain is a barren, gray wasteland devoid of life.

Malibran, Xale, and Hallagad deal with their sudden loss of connection with their gods, each in their own way.

Rool looks at the hatch in the deck, but does not touch it.

Time passes.

-----
Status: Malibran (H LG C20[13](Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14[9](Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: None
Light Sources: None

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant, master of spring:

Seeing the painful loss plaguing his devout friends, the monk sincerely says, "I am sorry."

Then he humbly suggests to everyone: "Should we test the integrity of our enchanted possessions now before we have need of them?"
The Unseen Servant thinks of the simple ring upon his right hand, and wishes to levitate a few inches above the hellship's deck.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#104 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "Not just our items but what of our spells? I'd like to know before i try to use them in a fight, however i don't wish to use up my spells and have to study again when we don't know if we have the time for it."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran scans the fell horizon and clutches his holy symbol in reflection. He resolves himself to the present situation with a decisive nod to himself. "Pholtus guide us in this unholy land. We are now committed to our quest. As painful and unexpected the disconnection from the Light, we should endeavor to be grateful as we are, indeed, now upon the quest we pledged to undertake. Let us now move forward as quickly and forcefully as needed to accomplish our task and bring justice to the wrong-doers. The light bless us and shine upon the righteousness in our quest!"

He paces the deck, examining the lonely ship, and considers the hatch. "Do we now wait for the ship to find it's port or do we descend and find out more about this vessel? I say we find out what we can. I think there is nothing here to trust and that we are now, like the filth on the currents of this foul river, adrift in Hell and follow no likely set course.... Let us influence our own course!

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Urson »

Tanner

Tanner nods at Malibran's speech. Damn right! he says, lifting the hatch cover.

He does do some basic checks of his magical gear- specifically, his Frostbrand sword, his Grasshopper Boots, and his Flask of Endless Water.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov, Organized Crime Boss

As Rool rubs his chin, contemplating the hatch, Tanner interrupts his study and opens the door. He curses the impulsiveness of his Chaotic friend and moves away from the entrance, anticipating the worst.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Zhym »

Urson wrote:Tanner . . . does do some basic checks of his magical gear- specifically, his Frostbrand sword, his Grasshopper Boots, and his Flask of Endless Water.
Note that you won't find out much about whether a weapon's powers have been affected by waving it around. You'd need to use it in combat, or at least spar, and say who you're sparring with.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#109 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

Hmm. Not a bad idea.

Risdac will use his Staff of the Magi to cast Light on the bow of Demonwing. He will then use it to cast Detect Magic and then Enlarge upon himself.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Zhym »

At Malibran's suggestion, Tanner opens the trap door. Nothing jumps out at you. A ladder leads belowdecks.

The Unseen Master of Spring suggests testing your enchanted possessions to see if their powers, like those of the holy men, have been altered.

Tanner waves his sword around, but without a target it is impossible to know whether its magic has changed. He flexes his grasshopper boots a couple of times but has no room to stride any great distance and dares not jump lest he jump overboard. He unstoppers his flask of endless water and speaks the command word for its lowest flow. (Dice roll.) Water pours out of the flask onto the deck.

Risdac points the tip of his staff at Demonwing's bow, far ahead of you at the other end of the ship from the sterncastle on which you stand (dice roll), and the bow glows. He then waves the staff in an arc to detect magic. (Dice roll.) Indeed, the entire stone ship radiates a strong magic. Then he draws the staff upwards to enlarge himself. (Dice roll...uh oh.)

It does not go well.

He grows, but not evenly. His left arm balloons into a huge fatty blob of pink flesh. His right leg grows half again as long as his left. His shoulders hunch, his ears stretch out like an elephant's, his nose becomes red and bulbous, he grows boils and warts and humps in strange and inconvenient locations. His hair almost all falls out except for a few wiry, mangy patches. One eye moves back until it is behind his ear. He stands 14' tall, a malformed giant.
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.54.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.54.13 PM.png (175.28 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Scott308: Please make a system shock roll.

-----
Status: Malibran (H LG C20[13](Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14[9](Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93

Scott308

#111 Post by Scott308 »

Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by AleBelly »

Hallagad draws his magical sword and spars, lightly, with Tanner. Whatever the outcome, the paladin is content that Pelor is testing him...and must believe the paladin up to the task.

GreyWolfVT

#113 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo gawks at Risdac "Thank goodness that was not me."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant, master of spring:

The humble monk observes the hell that Hell plays upon magic.

He asks the malformed giant, "Risdac, are you all right?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Urson »

Tanner

Tanner nods and engages Hallagad, sparring briefly. Block-high thrust-disengage-low disarm-parry-reversal!. Whatever the result he nods, grimly. Thank you
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Zhym »

Risdac survives his metamorphosis into a misshapen giant. It's a remarkable transformation. The previously scrawny and weak magic user is now a mighty—but also mighty ugly—giant. Experienced as he is with magic, Risdac immediately realizes that his change is permanent.

Risdac now has a strength of 20. He attacks at +3 and does +8 damage (treat as if wearing a girdle of stone giant strength). A bare-handed attack with his fists does 2d4+8 damage. That's the good news. On the down side: his charisma drops to 3. Also, it's not easy for a misshapen giant to cast spells. Spell casting (including use of magic items that require a command word) will require a d20 dexterity check, with a +2 penalty for spells that have somatic components. If the check fails, the spell misfires. His bracers of defense fell off in the transformation, but his thick hide gives him a base AC of 3. His cloak of protection remains and is still effective, though it's comically undersized for him now, like he has a napkin tied to the back of his neck. His Staff of the Magi is more like a wand. Finally, Risdac will require triple rations of food.

Hallagad spars with Tanner. His Holy Avenger seems slightly more effective against Tanner than Hallagad expected (5% better). That's strange. Tanner's frost sword is even more effective against Hallagad (+10%). Weird.

-----
Status: Malibran (H LG C20[13](Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14[9](Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (Giant NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93

Scott308

#117 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

Having gone through a terrible transformation, Risdac is momentarily stunned by what he has become. That...did not go as expected. Maybe I won't use that spell anymore- unless someone wants to take a chance? No? Just as well. It appears that spells may have severe, unintended consequences when cast here. I fear to see what may happen with some of the other spells. Odilo, If you wish to use my bracers, feel free to do so. I believe you are the only one of us who are able to make use of them now. Is anybody else hungry? It seems like forever since we ate last, the mage says as he throws two days of rations whole down his gaping maw.

The image of the hideous creature Risdac has become speaking so eloquently in his new deep, rumbling voice would be comical if not for the shock of the metamorphosis he underwent. At least, you think that is his voice. It is somewhat difficult to hear over the rumbling of his belly.

Looks like Risdac will be the designated negotiator now! :D

Also, does he gain the benefit of being unable to be surprised under normal circumstances due to his deformities?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Zhym »

Scott308 wrote:Also, does he gain the benefit of being unable to be surprised under normal circumstances due to his deformities?
Yes.

GreyWolfVT

#119 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo takes the bracers that had fallen from his friend during transformation "Very well I shall put them to good use Risdac."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran considers the spells unusual effect. Unpredictable magic - yet another obstacle in our quest. He peers down the open hatch and listens for any major disturbances.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”