Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

Zhym
Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

#21 Post by Urson »

Tanner

Tanner nods, obviously expecting exactly what happened. He retreats quickly from the 'painful zone', gesturing to gather the spellcasters close enough that he can talk to them.

If one of you has a way to let me see the center of the Storm, I have a Teleportation Helm that I can use to Jump there.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#22 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo gets a shocked look on his face the raises a finger in the air in an "AH HA!" manner and digs into a pocket and pulls out a rod and tries to talk loud enough for the others to hear "THIS IS A ROD OF ABSORPTION DO YOU THINK I COULD ABSORB THE MAELSTROM INTO IT?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by max_vale »

Xale Mav; Dwarven Warrior-Priest

Xale grunts as he does a lot of thinking....tugging on his beard as he does so in an absent-minded fashion....

Not seeing any alternatives, he pulls out his Cube of Force and says; "Well....I have a magic item they MAY allow me to enter the storm unharmed; though it won't let me do so for long.....unless anyone has any better ideas?"

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant, master of spring:

Riddles upon riddles, thought Khogeki serenely. In searching for Vorkath we now search for Emirikol. Perhaps we need to search for someone else that can help us find Emirikol?

"Why would Emirikol live within the maelstrom?" the unassuming monk wonders aloud. "If he still lives on Point Harrow, perhaps silencing the metalstorm might get his attention and allow our pleas to be heard?"
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by AleBelly »

Having puzzled over this for what seems forever, Hallagad shouts to the magicians in the party. "Have none of you the means to dispel magic? If this Emirikol was chaotic, perhaps he opened the gates to hell and tried to hide his tracks?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

You yell ideas at each other, trying to be overheard against the ringing roar of metal smashing against metal.

Tanner suggests using his teleportation helm.
Odilo wonders if his Rod of Absorption could absorb the storm.
Xale, not seeing any alternatives, pulls out his Cube of Force.
Khogeki, the Unseen Servant, wonders if silencing the metalstorm might get Emirikol's attention.
Hallagad asks in a shout whether the magicians can dispel magic.

Many ideas are offered, but none are yet acted upon.

-----
Time: May 16, 2:30 PM
Status: Malibran (H LG C20(Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14(Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: PfE (Malibran): 4 turns.
Light Sources: None

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#27 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

I do not believe this will work, as whatever source of magic placed the Maelstrom here must be far greater than I, but I shall attempt it nonetheless, the mage sighs before casting Dispel Magic.

If necessary, he will put wads of cotton into his ears and approach as much as he needs to be within range of the spell to be effective.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by AleBelly »

Hallagad, feeling responsible for the fate of Risdac, will kneel, facing the maelstrom, in front of the mage, holding his shield aloft to protect him as much as possible without interfering with his spellcasting.

GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo watches Risdac if nothing happens to the storm he will attempt to absorb the storm into his rod of absorption.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

Risdac attempts to dispel the mile-wide storm of metal. He is skeptical of his ability to dispel a storm that has raged for some thirty years since it was created in a battle of powerful sorcerers, but he attempts it nonetheless.

Hallagad kneels, faces the maelstrom, and holds his shield to protect Risdac as much as possible. Risdac raises his hands, speaks the words of power Arcanus Vamoose, and …

… it turns out he was right. The storm seems entirely unaffected.
I allowed a small chance that the Dispel Magic would have some effect (that may or may not have solved your problem). The roll failed.

The Rod of Absorption draws magic spells into it. The spells must be targeted at the wielder of the rod. Whatever the storm is, it is not a spell being cast at Odilo.
-----
Time: May 16, 2:40 PM
Status: Malibran (H LG C20(Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14(Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: PfE (Malibran): 3 turns.

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo puts away his rod forgetting that it wont work in the fashion he was hoping in this circumstance. I tried something so sue me...

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by max_vale »

Xale Mav; Dwarven Warrior-Priest

Shouting out to his companions; the Dwarven Fighter and Cleric of Dalt outlines the abilities of the Cube he holds in his hands and awaits thier replies before attempting to use it and then move into the malestrom of metal....

**Please see my most recent comment in the OOC threat to see the Cube's capabilities

GreyWolfVT

#33 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo nods his approval to the dwarf and using the cube.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Zhym »

Will anyone else try to fit into the cube's protected area while Xale does this, or does he go alone?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran suggests, "I think you have a valid plan with that device but I do urge caution - that's a vast swirling mass of magical metal before us and we don't really know how far it goes to the center - if indeed there is a center as was wisely pointed out. I will remain to provide assistance if that should be needed and pray for any assistance that the Light can provide. Blessings of Pholtus go with you!"

Malibran will pray for guidance on the immediate actions to follow.

Pray for Augury on the use of the cube.

GreyWolfVT

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo will accompany the dwarf from within the cube's protection radius.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov

Rool reaches up, grabs his ioun stone and pockets it before closing with Xale and the cube’s protective sphere.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

Malibran seeks divine guidance on Xale's plan to use the Cube of Force to enter the Metalstorm maelstrom.

He gains knowledge:

If used correctly, the Cube will protect those within from the Metalstorm and bring you closer to your goal.

-----
Time: May 16, 2:50 PM
Effects: PfE (Malibran): 2 turns.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran nods sagely. "Do we perhaps all go? Could we? Should we? If so, I would propose a ready-contingency to hopefully whisk us out of any imminent danger, with Pholtus' favor, of course"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Urson »

Tanner

The dark-brown warrior looks doubtfully at the Cube and the Dwarf. I think I'll stay out here- leave more space for you diplomatic types.

<was there a hint of mockery in his voice at the word "diplomatic"? It's hard to tell, given the noise>
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”