Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

Zhym
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

#61 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo says not a word and hopes that Tanner's statement rings true to the answer.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Zhym »

"Grasp, and speak of the beauty of chaos," the still-changing faces had said. Only Tanner complies. He grips the long iron bar as hard as he can. The rest of you watch, some of you signalling your distaste for chaos.

"All things arise from Chaos," says Tanner. "It contains all the Beauty that can possibly exist."

With a wink and a flash, he vanishes.

-----
Time: May 16, 3:40 PM
Status: Malibran (H LG C20(Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14(Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: PfE (Malibran): None
Light Sources: None

GreyWolfVT

#63 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo repeats what Tanner did in the exact same order, he strides over, grips the bar with both hands tightly and says "All things arise from Chaos. It contains all the Beauty that can possibly exist."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by AleBelly »

What a load of horseshit thinks Hallagad to himself. He struggles internally over what to do next, then strides forward and grabs the bar. "Chaos is beautiful in a sense. For it serves as a stark contrast to the virtues of order."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Inferno »

Unseen Servant, master of spring:

When it is the humble sensei's turn, he gently grasps the bar and composes a haiku to the mysterious randomness of nature, and the beauty therein:

"Raindrop and river,
Snow crystal and avalanche:
Who can know thy path?"
Last edited by Inferno on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov, Organized Crime Boss

Rool reluctantly approaches the morphing face, grips the iron bar with both hands, and speaks the words of a possible truth.

“Chaos shows us all possibilities, a taste of infinite beauty before we have to settle for a single variant.”

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran watches the others make an attempt at the unusual bar. Should his turn arise, he will grasp the bar and speak slowly and clearly to the strange sculpture "Of the beauty of chaos"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#68 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

The mages sighs, walking over to the bar. Grasping it, he says, Chaos exists only to balance law, making sure that neither is able to hold sway. It has no beauty; it is nothing more than a tool.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Zhym »

Seeing Tanner vanish, each of you takes a turn stepping up, grabbing the bar, and saying something about chaos. Some of your statements are more sincere than others.

Odilo repeats Tanner's words exactly. Malibran takes a literal interpretation and speaks the words, "Of the beauty of chaos." Rool searches for words of a possible truth: “Chaos shows us all possibilities, a taste of infinite beauty before we have to settle for a single variant,” he says. Hallagad grudgingly allows that "Chaos is beautiful in a sense, for it serves as a stark contrast to the virtues of order." Risdac's words are even less approving of chaos than the paladin's: "Chaos exists only to balance law, making sure that neither is able to hold sway. It has no beauty; it is nothing more than a tool."

All who speak disappear—until it's the Unseen Servant's turn. He grabs the iron bar and composes a haiku:

"Raindrop and river,
Snow crystal and avalanche:
Who can know thy path?"

Though his words are more sincere than most of those spoken by others, nothing happens. With a sigh, he repeats Malibran's words, "Of the beauty of chaos," and vanishes.

Finally, Xale, left alone on the ledge, grabs the iron bar. "Chaos," he says with a shrug, and winks away.

~~~~~~~~~~

You find yourselves in a vast darkness. No walls, floor, are ceiling are visible. You stand on a 20-foot square platform made of shining brass. A single light, cold and blue, shines down on you from the darkness above. Fifteen feet in front of you, another floating platform supports a stone throne of ancient appearance. Another light suspended from nothing shines on the throne.

A middle-aged man with a dark, neatly trimmed beard gazes at you from the throne. He wears simple but elegant clothing and appears to have no weapons of any kind. He does, however, wear an impressive amount of jewelry for a man his age, including one amulet that looks awfully familiar to Xale and Maliran. Either all Amulets of the Planes look alike or Emirikol came across the very one they took from the treasure hoard of Acererak!

"Welcome!" he says in a friendly baritone. "I am Emirikol the Chaotic!"

-----
Time: May 16, 3:50 PM
Status: Malibran (H LG C20(Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14(Dalt)/F13): 75/75; Risdac (H NG MU17): 58/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: None
Light Sources: None

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran asks "So, are you like an asshole, or what?"

Thinking better of it, he proceeds with..

Malibran bows low and quietly and, unknowing what to expect at this point, respectfully greets the legendary mage "Greetings, sir. It is an honor to meet such a legend as yourself. The Light thanks you for your offer of help and assistance..."

GreyWolfVT

#71 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo looks the man up and down "Might I inquire why you call yourself the chaotic? The metal maelstrom have something to do with that title?"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#72 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

Nodding his head in greeting, Risdac introduces himself. Hello, Emirikol. My name is Risdac. It is always interesting when meeting someone whose knowledge surpasses my own, but only one or two other times have I been in the presence of one whose skill dwarfs mine so completely. Thank you for your offer to aid us in our quest.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant:

The humble sensei bows. "I am Khogeki. We have come in person to respectfully ask for the means to recover that which has been lost."
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by max_vale »

Xale Mav; Dwarven Warrior-Priest of Dalt

Xale nods his head politiely to Emirikol and says; "Greetings. I am Xale Mav"; then with a nod towards the amulet he continues with; "Might I ask where you found that Amulet? It looks like one some of my companions and I found in the lair of the dread Lich Accerak".
Last edited by max_vale on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Urson »

Tanner
I am called Tanner. He presses his right fist to his chest and bows slightly.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by AleBelly »

"Well met, Emirikol. I am Hallagad, servant of Pelor and friend of Vorkath." The paladin does not bow.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov, Organized Crime Boss

Rool admires the spartan simplicity of Emirikol’s chamber; seemingly a-typical for an adherent to chaos.

“Rool Diov, Boss of the Magna Guild,” Rool says with a grin and polite nod of his head. “We seek your assistance in recovering our friend Vorkath and the Temple of Neheod."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Zhym »

Greetings are offered—some cordial, some obsequious, some merely polite. Many bow. Some, most pointedly Hallagad, do not.

"So, are you like an asshole, or what?" Malibran thinks. At least, he thinks he thinks it.

"Hah!" laughs Emirikol. "I am an asshole! And a poor host, too. Siri!" he calls out into the darkness to his left. "Bring these distinguished guests some refreshments!" After a moment, a pair of silver platters float toward you out of the darkness, bobbing slightly in way of something carried by an unseen servant. One platter contains a decanter of wine and nine black crystal goblets; the other an assortment of breads, cheeses, dried fruit, nuts, olives. and spreads. The invisible servant pours the wine and offers it to you with the cheese tray.

"I am frequently like an asshole," says Emerikol, taking the remaining goblet and drinking. "You can ask Vorkath about that when you see him. But I'm an asshole who wants to help you."

"Might I inquire why you call yourself the chaotic?" asks Odilo. "The metal maelstrom have something to do with that title?"

"The Metalstorm? No, no. That's effect, not cause," answers Emirikol. "A result of my battle with old Vecna all those years ago. I keep it around because it keeps unwanted visitors away. Not you, of course. Although..." He gives you a quizzical little half-smile. "How could you possibly help Vorkath if you couldn't handle something as simple as a few chunks of flying metal?"

"The name came from Vorkath, and I wear it with pride. You call him friend, as many do. But he and I, we adventured together. Fought together. Fought each other. Pulled each other out of more scrapes than I can remember. The Temple of Jewels, the Green Gryphon, that mountain full of those damned kobolds...we went through a lot together. He was a good man, that paladin. Most of you 'holy warrior' lot"—Emirikol jerks his head at Hallagad, standing ramrod straight and disapproving—"have your heads so far up your own butts about Law and Order you're no use to anyone but your own pride and ego. Vorkath was different. Honorable, brave, and all that, but also compassionate and forgiving. Never did stop trying to reform me, get me to walk the straight and narrow." He chuckles softly. "Kind of did, too, sometimes. Not because he forced me to, but because he made me want to."

"Might I ask where you found that Amulet?" says Xale with a nod toward Emirikol's amulet. "It looks like one some of my companions and I found in the lair of the dread Lich Accerak".

"I should think so!" laughs Emirikol. "It's the same one! I'd lost it to Acererak. I can't even remember how long ago it was. That's the last time I'll lend anyone a powerful magic item, I'll tell you that. No matter how buxom and...persuasive she is." Emirikol slips into a brief reverie, then shakes his head to clear it. "Good times. Shame about the sex-change trap, though. Turned out he liked being a man and wouldn't let anyone change him back. Pity. Still, once or twice, for old times sake, we—well, never mind that. Anyway, when I heard you had managed to defeat the demi-lich—well done, by the way; he was a true asshole's asshole—I sent someone to purchase the amulet from you. Anonymously, of course. Luckily, you were willing to barter, and I have my amulet back." Indeed, Xale remembers trading the amulet long ago for other items he thought he'd have more use for.

"Before you ask—this amulet won't get you where you need to go. Vorkath and the temple of Neheod are stuck between levels of hell. Neither this amulet nor even a wish can get you there. But I have something that can: Demonwing. It's a ship that can sail the river Styx. It can take you to the temple. And it's yours."

GreyWolfVT

#79 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo listens to the story intently "Very interesting tale of why you are called the chaotic. I once was called the strange,
but that was a past life. Now I'm sort of reborn it's a long tale but Acererack's tomb is part of that whole ordeal. But that is all the past. Though I must profess the beauty of your maelstrom topside it does make a loud noise hard to think out there. As for being a law huger goodie two-shoes that's not entirely my trek I tread the line between chaos and law. Quite neutral though often siding for good sure."
then thinking about the offer of the ship "Personally I think if the ship is the only way for us to proceed on this adventure then so be it. I think it rather prudent to not waste a wish on something that wont work. Same for the amulet."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Urson »

Tanner

The warrior politely refuses refreshments. He paces the edges of the "floor" he is standing on, evaluating the area and the things in it.

Everything in the world has a price- or a "however" -attached to it. What is attached to your boat?
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”