Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

Zhym
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 2: Highway to Hell?

#321 Post by Zhym »

Let's assume Risdac can retrieve both boats and put them somewhere with the party's help. What's next?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#322 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

The giant mage carries the boats to the water. He climbs in one, making sure it doesn't sink or overturn. When he is sure the boat is stable, he asks, Does anyone else want in?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#323 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo enters one of the boats as well. "Thank you good man. It is appreciated Risdac."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran offers, "I'll keep to this side of the water as you explore the far side. Perhaps one of you can lend us a bit of rope to tie to you or the boat should things turn for the unexpected. We can pull something or someone back to safety as a contingency."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#325 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant:

The unassuming master bows to Risdac and soundlessly boards a boat.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Urson »

Tanner

The old warrior joins the folks in the boats. Risdac's, if he can.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by Zhym »

To save time: I'll assume that Tanner and Risdac are in one boat and anyone else who doesn't stay back with Malibran gets in the other boat. Malibran doesn't have a rope, so I need to know who lends him theirs. Keep in mind that most ropes are only 50', so that's your limit unless you tie multiple ropes together. It would also be helpful if you stated an intended destination for each of the boats.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov

Rool hesitates on hearing Malibran offer to remain dock-side. “Do you need light?” Rool asks, presenting the light coin. “What are we using to illuminate our passage?” he says to the others.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant:

The unassuming sensei has no torch or lantern but he does have 50 feet of rope to lend.

"Our boats should stay together. Should we begin with the left path?" he suggests. Then, looking at the twin pyramids of dead men: "Friend Malibran, it might be safer if you joined us."
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#330 Post by AleBelly »

"Malibran, now is no time to separate. We know not what lies ahead" chides Hallagad as he climbs into the boat. The evil in this place nauseates him, and he is happy to follow the lead of others.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran nods assertively "Perhaps you are right, Masters. Let us go forth together - and fear no darkness!"

He enters a boat that is free.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by Zhym »

I have Risdac and Tanner in one boat and everyone else in the other. Where to?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#333 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

Well, one direction is as good as another since we know nothing about either. Since left was suggested, I think that I shall head that way, replies the mage as he begins paddling to the left.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by Urson »

Tanner

I have torches to lend- but only 20 feet of rope. Tanner produces a couple of torches and lights them, passing one to the other boat.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

GreyWolfVT

#335 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo speaks up "If need be I can use my staff to cast continual light upon something for better lighting."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant:

The tranquil sage wields a paddle or a torch, whichever is required of him.

As they row to the lefthand river, he observes the walls and softly says, "It would seem Emirikol the Chaotic wished us to explore this otherworldly space. Perhaps doing so somehow aids the soul of our mutual friend, Vorkath Tsaridian."
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#337 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran considers the observation as he paddles or clutches his mace as needed, "Interesting thought, Master Shadow. I daresay we have but an inkling of an idea that Emerikol's true plans are. A powerful figure with cloaked intentions. Let us hope our goals align."

And.. "Master Odilo, a second source of continual light would be useful in this dark labyrinth. Let us have ensure each boat has a light should we become separated" Malibran is happy to share another coin if that seems most efficient.

GreyWolfVT

#338 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo takes out his dagger and uses his staff to cast continual light upon the blade.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Zhym »

With Risdac as beast of burden, or at least looking beastly, you move the rowboats into the murky water and climb in. Risdac loads his massive frame into one boat, his weight lowering the boat until there are but a few inches between gunwale and water. There is just enough room for Tanner to fit in with him. Everyone else climbs into the other boat.

Odilo uses his staff to cast a continual bright light on his dagger. -1 charge; dice roll. No ill effects seem to happen.

You start rowing toward the port side corridor—or river branch, or whatever it is—passing the waterfall on your left. Your strokes are aided by the churning water pulling you forward. As you enter the port side corridor (branch, river, whatever), you see that it jogs to port for a few feet then foreward again for as far as you can see. Rounding the bend, you notice that the current is flowing much more strongly here.

Map:
Demonwing 12-3.png
Demonwing 12-3.png (108.62 KiB) Viewed 941 times
Your boats are just to the left of the "7."
Notes (please read):
I neglected to deduct charges from Odilo's staff for his previous continual light spell. That's -2 total now, unless I'm forgetting something else he's cast.

Please give me an arrangement both for the boats (are they side by side, or one before the other?) and for the people in the boats (i.e., who is sitting where? Assume three rows of two people each in one boat. The front two and back two are on oars. Tanner can be in front of Risdac or behind (Risdac has to be in the middle of the boat to keep it from tipping over).

Also: you have two things with continual light cast on them, and they're both in the boat with Odilo. If you want to fix that, I'll backdate it to when you set out in the boats.
-----
Status: Malibran (H LG C20[13](Pholtus)): 90/90; Khogeki (H LN M17): 78/78; Odilo (1/2E NG MU17): 54/54; Xale (D NG C14[9](Dalt)/F13): 62/75; Risdac (Giant NG MU17): 52/58; Tanner (H CG F19): 107/107; Rool (H LN T20): 85/85; Hallagad (H LG P15(Pelor)): 93/93
Effects: None
Light Sources: Continual light coin (Rool); Continual light dagger (Odilo)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran urges caution "Let's turn back and try a different path. The strengthening current and rough water here does not bode well - just look at how close the water is to filling Risdac's boat already. I've no urge to go swimming!" He'll start to back paddle to try a different tunnel.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”