Ch. 1: Funeral for a Friend

Zhym
AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ch. 1: Funeral for a Friend

#41 Post by AleBelly »

Hallagad glances around the room. Vorkath's soul is in peril and a couple of these doughy mopes are reading books. He rolls his eyes.

"Mistress Marini, I am pleased to make your acquaintance." The paladin will kiss her hand (if and only if he expects she will receive it as a gesture of great respect). "As Mr. Miyagi here asks, we need to retrieve the souls of those trapped in the vanished church."

I didn't see the monk's name in the thread...

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Norjax »

Rool Diov casually plays with his rings and is prepared to switch his Ring of Fire Resistance with his Ring of Human Influence should he decide that Roris isn’t being cooperative.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Zhym »

Risdac and Odilo, amazed at the size of Roris's library, can't help themselves. The turn away from the sage whose knowledge might be the key to preventing their own eternal damnation in Hell to gawk at books. Several of the tomes have unfamiliar languages written on their spines. The ones they can read are on a variety of topics, many but not all of which have to do with the outer planes:

Lingering in Limbo
Infinite Buck Limit: Notes of a Game Warden in the Happy Hunting Grounds
Games in the Arcadia: Abellio, Buxenus, and Menausus Rules
Counting the Infinite: Theoretical Investigations into Alternate Universes and Parallel Planes
Henry Cobbler and the Chalice of Flame
Passion from Across the Astral

Looking at the last two titles, Risdac and Odilo realize that not all of her tomes are non-fiction. At least, they hope so. Risdac reaches for one of the books when Roris clears her throat loudly. "Leave those alone, lad," she says sternly but not unkindly. "This isn't a public library."

Khogeki the Unseen Servant ("Mr. Miyagi" to his friends) and Hallagad jump straight to the ultimate question: how can they save Vorkath's soul? Odilo has a barrage of more specific questions: "How will we survive in the hells? How do we know that our items upon us will not burst into flames that or even ourselves upon entering the place? How do we know the people in the church even survived being pulled into the hells?"

"He's the smart one, isn't he?" says Roris, pointing to Odilo as she pushes some books to the side so she can see you. "You can't answer the big question until you answer all the little ones. And there are so many little questions. You should think carefully about what you need to know if you're going to do what you need to do. I can tell you much, but if I try to tell you all I know you'll be here for years. But I can give you some background information. After that, I'll answer any specific questions you have."

She takes a deep breath and begins her lecture. "Not many people go to Hell and come back to talk about it," she begins. "Most scholars of Hell keep busy 're-contextualizing,' or some such nonsense, the works of other scholars, all of which whom deeply hope they never see the place. Myself included. Almost everyone who says they've seen Hell are full of crap. I've read all the accounts, of course. Orpheus, Odysseus, Virgil, Gaiman, Pratchett, Larson—if someone's written about Hell, I've read it. They don't agree on much, but then most of them are making it up for some easy coin. 'Read the True Tales of My Trip to Hell; only 15 silvers!' Bollocks, most of it."

"But there are a few credible accounts, and some common points emerge. Not all of the Nine Hells are in flame. Some are deepest cold. The tortures devised by the lords of the Nine Hells are as imaginative as they are excruciating. Visitors to the Hells all report being able to breathe and their possessions remaining mostly intact. Of course, those are the ones who make it back. The ones who perish in flames and ice can hardly tell us about it, can they?"

"Travel to Hell is difficult if you want to come back. Magical means of interplanar travel will only take you to the uppermost level of any plane. It literally gets you only as far as the gates of Hell. To venture beyond, you must either have dispensation from the Lords of Hell or be prepared to fight an infinite horde of things from the underworld. The River Styx flows in the top level of all the lower planes and into some of the lower levels, but one must reach it first. To touch even a drop of its waters can erase a mortal man's mind. Charon's fare is well-known, and he will take travelers anywhere the Styx flows—but his ferry is not fast."

"We have learned that the Temple of Neheod has been taken to a space between Stygia and Malbolge, the fifth and sixth Hells. Stygia has been described as a great frozen sea through which the Styx flows. Malbolge is an infinite rockfall. How the temple can be in between them or how to get there—we do not know." She shakes her head in sadness and frustration.

She regards Khogeki and Hallagad. "As to your big question? Honestly, I'm stumped. I have no idea how you're going to rescue Vorkath. You need to get to Hell somehow, get to the Temple where it is trapped between planes, defeat whatever is probably holding it now, and do something to bring the Temple back. Damned if I know how, though—pardon the expression."

She shrugs and raises her eyebrows in the universal body language for, "But what can you do?" "But that's the big question. You must have tons of critically important little questions. Ask."

"Oh, and quit fiddling in your pockets. You're making me nervous," she shoots at Rool, who is trying to inconspicuously swap rings.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by max_vale »

Xale Mav; Dwarven Warrior-Priest of Dalt

Dalt sighs and looks to the heavens with a wry look while asking a rhetorical question; "I know you love a grand adventure and figuring out how to unlock mysteries Dalt, but sometimes it'd be nice to keep them perhaps just a LITTLE less grand".

Shaking it away, the Dwarf takes in all that Roris has told them and says; "Thank you very much for your words of wisdom Miss Roris. I have one of those 'little' questions you mentioned just a moment ago. Do you know how many people vanished along with the Temple?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Zhym »

"I have only a general idea," answers Roris.

"Perhaps a hundred, more or less," Brother Maercal interjects. "Vorkath was well loved, and though he insisted on a 'small' ceremony with only a few friends—well, he had many friends. Most of my Brothers and Sisters were in the Temple when it vanished, as were more than a few worshipers. I hate to think of them all in Hell...or about what might be happening to them right now."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "True enough about stories from folks claiming to have been in the hells hard to tell truth from boasting fables. Though I recall a mage one Elminster had ventured to the hells and back though it maybe just a fable, I'm not sure."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Urson »

Tanner

Since these people got- well, "kidnapped," for lack of a better term- is there any chance that the Lords of Hell are leaving them alone?

And on the topic of the Lords- what can you tell us about getting dispensation from them? Or him? Her? IT?

Tanner rubs at the scar on his cheek as he speaks, obviously unaware he's doing so.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Inferno »

Khogeki, the Unseen Servant:
Zhym wrote:"I can tell you much, but if I try to tell you all I know you'll be here for years."
The peaceful sensei nodded slowly, contemplating the terrible weight of knowledge. "We are meant to climb the mountains, not carry them with us," he murmured to himself.
Zhym wrote:"You can't answer the big question until you answer all the little ones. And there are so many little questions. You should think carefully about what you need to know if you're going to do what you need to do."
The unassuming monk calmly reflected upon this Zen riddle, and responded accordingly. "If you were us, what three questions would you ask of you?" he asked humbly.
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Zhym »

Urson wrote:"Since these people got- well, "kidnapped," for lack of a better term- is there any chance that the Lords of Hell are leaving them alone?"
"My books do not answer that question," replies Roris, "But personally? I doubt that whatever took the temple to Hell is leaving its occupants alone."
Urson wrote:"And on the topic of the Lords- what can you tell us about getting dispensation from them? Or him? Her? IT?"
"The terms of gaining leave from a Lord of Hell to roam his domain are not...favorable," she says, with a significant look at the Paladin. "Also, its is doubtful that a temple of good could be transported to hell without at least the tacit compliance of the lords of that realm. I would not seek their support in your mission even if doing so did not jeopardize your souls."
Inferno wrote:"If you were us, what three questions would you ask of you?"
Roris chuckles. "What is this, a job interview?" she replies. "Okay, okay. Three questions. You monks and your numbers. Well, if I were you, I might ask about the strengths and weaknesses of the enemies I'd be likely to encounter. I'd wonder how the lower planes would affect my ability to fight those enemies. And I suppose if I were a priest or a magic user I'd ask about spell use in the lower planes."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Inferno »

Khogeki, the Unseen Servant:
Zhym wrote:
Inferno wrote:"If you were us, what three questions would you ask of you?"
Roris chuckles. "...Okay, okay. Three questions. You monks and your numbers. Well, if I were you, I might ask about the strengths and weaknesses of the enemies I'd be likely to encounter. I'd wonder how the lower planes would affect my ability to fight those enemies. And I suppose if I were a priest or a magic user I'd ask about spell use in the lower planes."
"Thank you, wise sage. I humbly submit those questions to you," the monk says.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

"How unexpected and insightful of you," says Roris.

"Devils of the Nine Hells are devious and powerful enemies. They constantly strive against each other for dominance. They are masters of influence and illusion. The more powerful among them may call on others to come instantly to their aid. Normal weapons and fire do them no harm, and cold deals only half damage, but silver weapons do hurt them."

"In the outer planes, much will change," she continues. "You three"—she points to Malibran, Xale, and Hallagad—"will find yourselves cut off from your gods, perhaps for the first time in your lives. The spells, prayers, and Mysteries you receive directly from your gods will be withheld from you. The accounts of priests in Hell also tell of a diminishing of spell power and retention. Conserve your higher-level spells carefully, for you may have no way to obtain more while you are away."

"Arcane spells in the outer planes do not behave as they do in the Prime Material. Different planes have different magical rules. Be wary! Some spells will not work at all. Others will work in unexpected ways. Some will have side effects minor or major, benign or malignant."

"You will also find your magical items weakened as you travel away from the Prime Material plane on which they were forged. Those with spell effects will suffer from the same mutations and changes as cast spells. Likewise, should you claim any items of power from the lower planes, know that their power will likewise be diminished should you manage to return to this world."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#52 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac Egargi

The Mage sighs, saying, I had hoped you may have the six volume set of Balthezarius' Manual of the Planes. I find his writings on Elysium to be particularly...heavenly. Of course, you probably have already begun studying it for any clues, I'm sure, and that's why I don't see it here.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant bows to Roris. "Thank you, kind madam."

Then the passive monk quietly waits for the others' questions; open and ready to listen and learn.
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Urson »

Tanner

I take it that you know of no way to predict any of the variant spell effects you mentioned? Can we at least expect these variations to be consistent? That is, will the effect be the same each time the spell is cast or the item is used? Or will we be dealing with total chaos?

Also, what about physical activities? Will arrows fly differently? Will my sword swing the same as I'm used to?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by AleBelly »

"This is a good sign" replies Gallahad thoughtfully. "The evil gods fear Vorkath - and us. They cannot stomach a fair fight. Tell me, Roris, do you know of any way to attenuate the fading of our enchanted items? I will pray to Pelor, of course, but..."

GreyWolfVT

#56 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "I am a bit concerned but not at all surprised that magics will not function normally."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Inferno »

The Unseen Servant:

If no one has anymore questions, the unassuming sensei will ask Roris, "What questions have we forgotten to ask you, wise scholar of Hell?"
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zhym »

"What questions have we forgotten to ask you, wise scholar of Hell?" asks the sensei.

"I am no scholar of Hell," replies Roris with a shrug. "Yes, I study the outer planes, among other matters extraplanar. But Arbuckle Elminster, now he's an expert. But he hasn't been right in the head since that encounter with a Succubus. Gone native, if you ask me. Got himself a hut down in the Vast Desert where he keeps a bonfire lit at all times." She rolls her eyes and shakes her head.

She raises a hand before you can post the obvious question. "Don't bother asking how to find Arbuckle. Even if he gave you answers you could use, which I doubt, he's too far away. You don't have time for side trips if you're going to save Vorkath and the temple. Besides, Arbuckle does not take well to visitors. Keeps trying to find ways to torment them."

"I had hoped you may have the six volume set of Balthezarius' Manual of the Planes," says Risdac. "I find his writings on Elysium to be particularly...heavenly.

"Balthezarius?" she answers. "He's less confused than most, but don't rely too heavily on anything you've read in his tomes. It's well-known among the learned that much of that set is sheer fabrication, made up to fill space. Still, some of it is accurate. The trick is to know the caviar from the crap, hm?"

Tanner asks for more detail on how spells will change in the outer planes.

Roris leans back, nearly disappearing behind the stack of books on the table in front of her. "Details are scarce. Wizards are notoriously selfish about the details of their magics"—she shoots a quick shrug at Risdac and Odilo—"so the few who go planewalking and survive don't tend to go gabbing at others about how their magics changed in other worlds."

"Now, if you don't mind, I need to return to my books. Time is short. To think of what Vorkath must already going through—maybe I can find a way to get you there. I'll send a message if I make any breakthroughs."

Roris's elderly manservant sees you to the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brother Maercal takes you to the Crown & Scepter Inn. Over good wine and hearty stew, he draws a diagram of the Temple. "When you find a way to the temple, you'll need to know the layout," he explains.

He sketches a large circle with two circles on either side. "The two towers symbolize the two who are one: creator and created, mortal and immortal. Each is about eighty feet high." He draws another circle to the side. "Here in the center is the grand altar, with stairs to the Holy of Holies. I've never seen it. It is the most sacred place in the church. Only the high priest may enter."
Temple of Neheod Map.jpg
Temple of Neheod Map.jpg (267.76 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
Layout of the Temple
All first-floor rooms have cathedral-style ceilings 30 feet in height. Tower rooms have a height of only 15 feet. Stained glass fills all windows, depicting important religious characters or scenes.

1. Vestibule. Entry chamber.
2. Font Chamber. Holds a large holy water font.
3. Gallery. Contains various art objects significant to the church.
4. Chancery. The church office.
5. Library.
6. Sacristy. Sanctified storage for important relics and religious objects storage.
7. Vestry. A large room, use infrequently for special banquets or gatherings.
8. Kitchen/Larder. For the acolytes.
9. Dormitory. All of the low-ranking priests (acolytes) and priests-in-training live here, in one large room.
10. Study. A quiet place for the acolytes.
11. Chapel of Meditation. A sanctuary for personal devotion.
12. Nave. This room has a dome filled with stained glass. There are two altars, one on the landing in the center of the room (20 feet high) and the Grand Altar on the Nave at the top of the staircase, 30 feet above the floor.
13. Storage. The priests store vestments, sacramental tools, extra candles, and other religious paraphernalia here.
14. Sanctuary. Rituals of great import are held here on the Grand Altar. Worshippers in the nave cannot see most of what happens here because of the angle.
15. Preparation Room. The priests use this chamber behind the sanctuary to prepare sacraments.
16. Holy of Holies (not shown on map). This room occupies the entire top of the tower, 100 feet in diameter. It is the most sacred place in the church. Only the high priest may enter.
17. Workroom. Accommodates leather working, woodworking, ceramics, weaving, and other crafts, as well as alchemical work.
18. Storage. Here, the priests keep mundane items and mate rials.
19. Classroom.
20. Bell Tower.
21. Curates' Chambers.
22. Study. For the curates.
23. Guest Chambers.
24. High Priests'Chambers. Rhichal Niamor's personal chamber.
"I pray you find it, and can save those who were in it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day passes slowly. No news comes from Roris or any of the other sages, mages, and priests working to find a way to Hell and back. All efforts to teleport or plane shift to the temple fail. One desperate mage even tries a wish to no avail.

Frustrated, you set to bed in the Crown & Scepter's finest rooms. Your sleep is troubled, and the morning brings no good news. Frustration and despondency rise—maybe there is no way to travel to Hell and save Vorkath?

As midday approaches, you are back with Brother Maercal at the black hole where the temple once stood, hoping for any sort of clue, when an otherworldly, flaming winged creature of diminutive size and humanoid shape pops into existence in front of you. It drops a scroll case into Brother Marcael's hands and flies off.

Inside the scroll case is a message:
Emirikol Note.jpg
Emirikol Note.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
"Emirikol!" exclaims Brother Maercal in wonder. "Vorkath's old friend lives?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Urson »

Tanner

This looks like a place to begin...

GreyWolfVT

#60 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Odilo "Hate to admit it but we just might have to go see this Chaotic fellow."

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”