OOC Discussion and Table Talk

Zhym
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Discussion and Table Talk

#101 Post by Zhym »

This implies that AC can go below -10:
DMG p.73 wrote:Armor class below 10 is not possible except through cursed items. Armor class above 2 is easily possible due to magical bonuses and dexterity bonuses. To determine a "to hit" number not on the charts, project upwards by 1's (5% increments), repeating 20 six times before continuing with 21
Because the charts go from AC 10 to -10, the only way a "to hit" number would not be on the charts is if the target AC is less than -10. Ergo, AC below -10 is possible BtB.

However: sorry ravenn4544, but I just noticed that Malibran is violating this character creation rule:
One item may have a maximum bonus of +5; another may be +4. All others may be a max of +3.
Malibran has both a +4 mace and a +4/+2 ring of protection. Please make one of those +3.

Thanks.

ETA: Corrected below.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#102 Post by Scott308 »

How is that in violation? He doesn't have anything that is +5, so he should be ok having two items that are +4, right?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Zhym »

Oh, good point. Never mind.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by AleBelly »

Huge apologies all. I was on vacation for three weeks and thought I'd have time to post. I obviously didn't. If I'm still welcome I'll get back into the swing of things by Thursday at the latest...

Sorry again.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Zhym »

Of course you're still welcome.

Glad you're back!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Zhym »

I made a small change to how I'm posting updates. Instead of a time at the top of the post, I'm including it in the status line. When I ran Ravenloft, the time was always the time at the start of the post, but the status line was as of the end of the action in the post. That got confusing (for me, anyway), so the time will now always be the time at the post.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by ravenn4544 »

Hey Kids!

Thoughts on how to broach the maelstrom? I'm thinking a rinky-dinky dispel magic ain't gonna cut it here on a 30-year old metal tornado :)

Gate maybe to call Emirikol? That's a long shot maybe. Ideally it would work both ways and we could pass through it to him.

Find the Path maybe a good start as that should tell us what method we would need to get through and it lasts a little while (over 3 hrs).

Wind Walk is another option for a few of us but I'm wondering if that is in fact a deadly option as the maelstrom may tear apart those of us that are 'misty vapors' passing through it.

Open to suggestions!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Zhym »

And here comes the DM to throw water on some of your ideas. ;)

On the Gate spell:
ravenn4544 wrote:Would a gate spell work in this case to open a doorway between us and emerikol (or does it only work between two different planes and not the same plane)?
Zhym wrote:I'm going to say no. It may work between points on the same plane (that might come up...). But the target of the Gate must be a "being of great power" such as a demon, devil, god, demi-god, etc. Even very high-level NPCs aren't powerful enough to be Gated. Also, you need the target's true name, which not the same as a person's birth name, and is typically very difficult to discover.
Find the Path:
This spell reveals the shortest physical path, not necessarily the safest or best path. And the target of the spell must be a location, not an object or a person.

FtP confers knowledge of actions to take related only to that physical path—for example, the book in a library that must be pulled to open a bookcase to a secret passage, which of three levers to pull, or the secret word to open a magic gate. It will not suggest courses of action ("cast Teleport," "seek the White Wizard and ask for the Marauder's Map," etc.) or methods of protecting yourself from the hazards along that path. Thus, Find the Path might tell you to cross a lava pit, but not how not to die doing it.

I'll add these to the spell notes section of the House Rules thread.

Disclaimer: Pointing out problems with some of your ideas does not indicate endorsement of your other ideas. :twisted:

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by ravenn4544 »

Who asked you anyway? :)

Is gate really worth having then? I was assuming that Malibran would have access to a high level good spirit to help but maybe not :)

Appreciate the clarifications!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Zhym »

Gate is one of those spells that is incredibly powerful but also difficult to cast. It opens a portal to a being of tremendous power and brings something across. A cleric could try to Gate his own god! Or an arch-devil! Now, the god or devil probably isn't what would come through, but it's a heck of a power anyway.

So I think of Gate as the culmination of a process. The caster would spend some time researching the target's true name using whatever divination and contacts he has. Finding a true name might be the goal of a quest, or at least an adventure. Then the cleric would start preparing to cast the spell by laying protective wards. Only then would he cast a Gate unless he was really sure the target would want to help.

Although the 5-segment casting time sort of weighs against that interpretation.

I'd accept that a cleric of Malibran's level would have a name by which he could call help from Pholtus. Malibran could thus use Gate as the ultimate call for divine intervention—a means of bringing something across to help. What comes through would depend on how happy Pholtus is with Malibran and how much help Pholtus thinks Malibran needs.

A gate to anyone but Malibran's god, however, is difficult and dangerous.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Zhym »

I could be talked out of the true name thing, or at least to make true names known for some. That would make the spell useful in more situations. But it could still only target beings on the same level of power as demons, devils, gods, and demi-gods.

And, really, if you open a Gate to anything that powerful, the results of that action are their own deterrent to overusing the spell. :D

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#112 Post by GreyWolfVT »

honestly i have no ideas at the moment. Other than if we had some form of protection from it or a way to pass through it magically.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by ravenn4544 »

Here’s our spell-based options for entering the maelstrom I think:

1) Astral Spell - won’t work as we can’t create a 2nd body on the other side of the maelstrom
2) Plane Shift – I don’t think we can pinpoint our destination like that tho
3) Wind Walk – last resort as I think that would tear us up. We could send an aerial servant through first to recon – if it lives maybe it would work.
4) Control Winds – probably not effective against this thing
5) Transport via Plants – do we have a druid anyway? 
6) Protection from normal missiles – do you think they are normal? Who wants to go first? Do you feel lucky?
7) Dimension Door – this might work if the range makes sense. Figure we try to go as far towards the center as we could.
8) Teleport – if we can see where we are going but have a general idea (center of the maelstrom) would that work?
9) Wall of force – use that as a shield against the shards. It doesn’t move once cast so might need a few of ‘em. Do you feel lucky?
10) Move earth/Dig – can we dig a tunnel underneath the maelstrom?
11) Reverse gravity/time stop – the thing is probably just too big to influence only parts of it
12) Wish – I wish I had wish

if we had a way to become ethereal, that might work also to get through and be able to reappear on the other side.

GreyWolfVT

#114 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Do you think Passwall would work it was an idea i had Odilo try and hand gesture t the others however he did not memorize the spell it is in his spellbook.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by ravenn4544 »

Personally, i'd say no based on the description. I think it would work if the thing wasn't whipping around. Since it isn't static, i think any opening you made would be immediately destroyed from the movement of the thing. Unless you're feeling lucky :)

Passwall (Alteration)
Level: 5 Components: V, S, M Range: 3" Casting Time: 5 segments Duration: 6 turns + 1 turn/level Saving Throw: None Area of Effect: Special
Explanation/Description: A Passwall enables the spell caster to open a passage through wooden, plaster, or stone walls; thus he or she and any associates can simply walk through. The spell causes a 5' wide by 8' high by 10' deep opening. Note several of these spells will form a continuing passage so that very thick walls can be pierced. The material component a this spell is a pinch of sesame seeds.

GreyWolfVT

#116 Post by GreyWolfVT »

well more or less i was thinking to use it to somehow get under or around it not really use it to get through the thing.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Zhym »

ravenn4544 wrote:5) Transport via Plants – do we have a druid anyway?
Druids: Don't leave town without one. :D
ravenn4544 wrote:12) Wish – I wish I had wish
You guys had a ring of wishes from the Tomb of Horrors, but got rid of it for some reason. :?

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thanks for reminding me - haha - i still have it! :) :oops: I can certainly see that helping us here! If the dispel magic doesn't work we can wish ourselves safely within the maelstrom center or something like that

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Inferno »

Or we could sidestep Emirikol and use the Ring of Wishes to go directly to hell with ourselves. :)
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Zhym »

In the interest of transparency, here's how I play wishes.

The factors that affect how a wish will be granted include:
  • How selfish is the wish? Is it motivated by a desire to harm, or to help?
  • How ambitious or grandiose is the wish? How much would reality have to change to grant the wish?
  • Does the wish duplicate or improve on an existing spell?
  • Is the grantor of the wish friendly, neutral, or malevolent?
The less ambitious and less selfish the wish, the more likely it is to be granted in the spirit in which it was made. Wish for a turkey sandwich and you'll get a really good turkey sandwich. Wish for everyone in the party to be restored to full health, that'll go off without a hitch. Try to wish for everything and the kitchen sink and you're likely to end up wishing you'd wished for a turkey sandwich.

Wishes in my campaign will often follow the path of least change. Thus, the classic "I wish everyone else were dead" wish is likely to send the wisher far into the future (and out of the campaign) because sending one person into the future is less of a change from the world's perspective than killing everyone in the world. It's also motivated by a desire to harm, of course.

Wishes that duplicate or improve on an existing spell will usually work as planned.

There are some things even a wish can't do (for example: disarm most Gygaxian traps). There is no set rule on what wishes can't do, but assume there's a certain amount of plot armor. Wishes to go straight to the adventure objective won't work because there'd be no adventure. Such wishes usually fall into the category of "overly grandiose," too.

Finally, conjunctions may require multiple wishes. "I wish for a million gold pieces and eternal life and a hot girlfriend who's into the weird stuff" is three wishes, not one. The method of wish granting will determine what happens to wishes like these. A ring or similar device might grant only the first clause or might not grant anything at all. Something with its own agency, like a djinn or efreet, might choose which part of the wish to grant or might count such a wish as multiple wishes. Combine multiple goals into a single wish at your own peril.

To sum up: the simpler and less selfish the wish, the more likely it is to work.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”