OOC Discussion and Table Talk

Zhym
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: OOC Discussion and Table Talk

#41 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac's spells:

(1) Burning Hands, Feather Fall, Magic Missile, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp (2) Invisibility, Knock, Knock (Who's There?), Levitate, Mirror Image (3) Dispel Magic, Fireball, Fly, Infravision, Tongues (4) Charm Monster, Dimension Door, Fire Shield, Polymorph Self, Wall of Ice (5) Cloudkill, Cone of Cold, Passwall, Teleport, Wall of Stone (6) Death Spell, Flesh to Stone, Monster Summoning IV (7) Delayed Blast Fireball, Monster Summoning V, Statue (8) Monster Summoning VI, Polymorph any Object
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by AleBelly »

Sorry folks. RL streamrolled me. Trying to catch up...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Zhym »

No worries, AleBelly. Glad you're still trying to stick with us.

Everyone—please let me know if my pace is too fast or too slow. There's some preliminary figuring out what's going on right now in what's basically a prologue. I don't want to give you a wall of text, but I also don't want to force you to post at every possible decision point. So if you want me to get on with it, or if I'm scooting past things you want to role play, just say so.

Thanks!

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by max_vale »

Hey there Zhym.....so I've got a couple of 'meta' game questions....

1. Are we using (i.e. would our characters KNOW of) the 1E Planar dynamic? I.e. The 9 Hells for LE beings; Elysium for NG beings; etc., etc. If so (and our charcters know this....not necessarily details of each plane, but the idea/names of them) does "HELL" mean the 9 Hells or is that more of a 'generic' term for any/all evil planes?

2. If the answer to the above is 'Yes'; as we are running some pretty High-level characters.....have any of us adventured or know of those who have adventured on Non Prime-Material planes?

Thank you sir!
Last edited by max_vale on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Zhym »

max_vale wrote:1. Are we using (i.e. would our characters KNOW of) the 1E Planar dynamic? I.e. The 9 Hells for LE beings; Elysium for NG beings; etc., etc. If so (and our charcters know this....not necessarily details of each plane, but the idea/names of them) does "HELL" mean the 9 Hells or is that more of a 'generic' term for any/all evil planes?
You can assume that your PCs are familiar with the general layout of the planes and their names. You can also assume that when a divination spell tells a high-level cleric that something is in Hell, it means somewhere in the Nine Hells.
max_vale wrote:2. If the answer to the above is 'Yes'; as we are running some pretty High-level characters.....have any of us adventured or know of those who have adventured on Non Prime-Material planes?
It seems that no one kept the Amulet of the Planes that Xale and Malibran found in the Tomb of Horrors. So I'm tempted to say no, you ditched that thing as fast as possible and do not have extraplanar experience. :D

Malibran might or might not have cast an Astral Spell, but that's about it. So assume that you have little or no direct experience with extraplanar travel.

You might be able to find a sage who is expert in the planes or someone who has traveled the planes (or both), however.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by ravenn4544 »

Malibran has access to Plane Shift and Gate - would that have given him SOME clue of what's out there in the big bad outer planes? Still not sure if it's gonna help much in pin pointing where we need to go :)

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by ravenn4544 »

Zhym - the PHB calls out limitations on the frequency of use of commune spells. I assume that is true here that i'd probably only get maybe two shots at using that on this adventure? Would Malibran know the limits?

I'm wondering if a commune spell is next here or by the nature of the answer to the divination we need to figure out some other way and it's best to save that spell for a later time...

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Inferno »

Zhym wrote:The pit is about 250' wide. A person would need to enter the pit and walk 120' or so to be able to drop anything in its center.

Will the Unseen Servant go for a walk in the deadly black pit?
No thanks. He wants to test his theory that anything turning black and shriveling up in the pit is actually being transported to Hell, near the missing temple. He's just not ready to test it with his life though. :)

If someone has something akin to 'Locate Object,' but more powerful, we could use that to test the theory. If so, then from above the pit, he'll use what wind there might be to best waft the blossom in as far as he can. He's using the blossom because it's a living thing.

The local priest said living things that enter the pit turn black and die. But a stone that was thrown in did too? Correct?
If yes, he'll also toss a stone into the center of the phenomenon, to see if anything happens (whether or not a locating spell is available for it).
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by ravenn4544 »

I tried find the path (6th level spell) and that didn't do it. Commune is my last resort (mine only get to use that once maybe twice and adventure, maybe more if we are lucky!). Stone Tell might be useful to provide a type of clue but I think that applies more to what is actually on this plane and may not help when something has moved beyond the material plane.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Zhym »

Your PCs are aware of the information in Appendix IV of the PHB. That includes some information on ethereal and astral travel and the layout of the planes. But they've never been to the outer planes. There might be someone in Estborg who has, or there might be a sage that is learned in outer planar lore.

You'll have to figure out how often you can Commune. I won't set a fixed time limit. Whether a Commune will irk your god depends on the circumstances, how long it's been since the last Commune, and what you want to ask.

Not a lot of help, I know. :)

As for the Unseen Servant's plan: will he hold his arm over the black hole?

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Inferno »

Zhym wrote:As for the Unseen Servant's plan: will he hold his arm over the black hole?
Um, no thanks. Things are turning black and shriveling before they land.
DM:
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)

Player:

DM bio is here.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Zhym »

Wise choice. :D

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by max_vale »

Oh man.....I thought for sure Malibran had grabbed the Amulet of the Planes, otherwise I DEFINITELY would have taken it....oh well....what's the worst that could happen? We go to he-----DOH!!!

:)

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#54 Post by GreyWolfVT »

max_vale wrote:Oh man.....I thought for sure Malibran had grabbed the Amulet of the Planes, otherwise I DEFINITELY would have taken it....oh well....what's the worst that could happen? We go to he-----DOH!!!

:)
I share your thoughts Max
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#55 Post by Scott308 »

Risdac can Plane Travel with the Staff of the Magi, although I don't know the particulars off the top of my head and it's late so I'm not going to look it up right now.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Norjax »

RL is keeping me busy. I’ll catch-up this weekend.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Zhym »

ravenn4544 wrote:Malibran stands waiting - his cloak weaving around him with a shimmering effect seemingly showing him in several places at once- to hear what wisdom the old sage can provide....
Old??? She's about 40!

Damn kids...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by ravenn4544 »

haha - i didn't catch the 40. I read 'wiry hair and spectacles' and drew my own conclusions :).

For the record, i'm 45 so '40' is like the new 20 - just sayin'.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Inferno »

AleBelly wrote:Hallagad
"As Mr. Miyagi here asks..."
:lol:
DM:

Player:

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Urson »

ravenn4544 wrote: For the record, i'm 45 so '40' is like the new 20 - just sayin'.
And I'm 57, so I'm still an old fart.
Expect Nothing, Appreciate Everything.

Return to “A Paladin in Hell (AD&D 1e)”