Character Creation Thread

Zhym
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation Thread

#81 Post by Zhym »

Up to you. The current roster has two paladins, a fighter, a thief, a monk, a magic user, a cleric, and a cleric/fighter. Another arcane caster might be more useful than a second paladin.

And a week's delay is fine with me if everyone else can stand it.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#82 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:GreyWolfVT: Your starting magic items come from the Tomb of Horrors loot. We'll take a look at what you have when that's split up and adjust accordingly.

Two paladins, huh? I'm not sure about that. AleBelly, you said you'd roll one up if no one else wanted to. Do you want to change classes? If not, I'll need to think about it. You'll at least need to be paladins of the same god.
I didn't have any loot from ToH because i was technically dead/trapped in a gemstone. So I just went with the items i saw in the DM guide for 1e. :?

A 1 week delay is fine by me. I'm still trying to sort out my character sheet and make sure I'm not goofed up anywhere.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by max_vale »

Zhym: I will attempt to make the HP rolls for Xale tonight when I get back from work (can't access the Dice roller here at work for idiotic reasons); also my ancient copy of the 1st Edition DMG is missing the magic items table that deals with Armor....argh!.....With the cash split from the list Raven has on his last post; i.e. 195K gp; is it possible to outfit Xale with:

1. Chainmail +5
2. Shield +4
3. Hammer +3, Dwarven Thrower
4. Gauntlets of Ogre Power

I think this also conforms to the Restrictions list? (1 +5 item, 1 +4 item, etc.)

Raven (& Zhym): I'm cool with the breakdown/sale of items as you suggest....and would be happy to keep either the Ring of Protection +1 OR the Ring of Fire Resistance (you can take 1 and me the other); I'd LOVE to keep the Cube of Force personally, but have no issue if you'd like it; the Scroll with 7 Clerical Spells....do WE choose the spells or is that something Zhym tells us? We're both Clerics right? So I'm happy to keep the Scroll or for you to have it......and the Ring of Wishes; well, I'll let someone else figure out the wording for those....or just Save them for use in the module.

Everything else you list; I'm totally cool with....

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Zhym »

Okay, I think the way to do the Tomb of Horrors magic items is to start by allocating loot. Then tally up the XP value of that loot. You can upgrade and add items up to the 25,000 limit minus 120% of the loot value if you sell it. The 20% is a little incentive to try to get you to keep the cool items you found instead of trading them in.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by ravenn4544 »

Hey Zhym - how would we handle the loot we'd like to keep but divvy out to other members of the party?

max - i'm cool if you want the cube - have at it! Agree with the wishes ring - I don't want to be responsible for screwing that up! I think I did something like that in ToH!!! :) I'm good either way with the ring. Maybe we keep the ring of fire resistance, sell the other one, and try and buy a better protection ring. Think the plus to saving throws will help out the most!

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Zhym »

I'd like to keep the ToH loot and newbie loot separate. The ToH PCs would have split loot soon after leaving and might not have even met the other PCs yet. Although at the PCs' level it's likely they at least know of each other, it's not like the ToH PCs would have gone up to the other PCs who didn't risk their lives (or more) against Acererak and say, "Hi! Have our treasure!"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Zhym »

OTOH, I'll handwave that all the ToH characters were sort of from the same campaign even though they were in different parties. So Xale and Malibran should share their loot with Odilo.

GreyWolfVT

#88 Post by GreyWolfVT »

:roll: uh ok... but i like my picks better than the ToH loot... :?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by max_vale »

Only have a quick moment on the computer at home here, so here's the rolls for Xale's level 9 HPs for Fighter (1d10) and Cleric (1d8)….

Fighter: [1d10] = 9

Cleric: [1d8] = 4

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Zhym »

GreyWolfVT wrote::roll: uh ok... but i like my picks better than the ToH loot... :?
You read the part about being able to upgrade the ToH loot, right?

And both your loot and the ToH loot have a Staff of Power.

GreyWolfVT

#91 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Zhym wrote:
GreyWolfVT wrote::roll: uh ok... but i like my picks better than the ToH loot... :?
You read the part about being able to upgrade the ToH loot, right?

And both your loot and the ToH loot have a Staff of Power.
Alright Zhym works for me. So that being said mister master of dungeons ;) is my magical equipment ok and with my Robe of Useful things it says part of it has to be rolled for to see what else is in there beyond the dagger, lantern, 10' pole, mirror and 50' rope. How do you want to deal with that part?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Zhym »

I'll roll for what's on the robe.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by max_vale »

Okay, so work is a lot busier today than usual....but I have a few moments, so here's some quick thoughts.....

-Can't update Xale's sheet here at work (argh!); but I'll do this tonight; and by your formula: 1d8 (4) + 1d10 (9) + 12 = 25 to add to Xale's 54 for a new total HP of 79. That seem right?

(These next few are for Raven, Greywolf and Zhym)-From the TOH Loot is it okay if Xale keeps the Cube of Force, Ring of Fire Resistance and 2 of the Healing Potions?

-The Scroll of 7 Clerical Spells.....are these on 7 separate sheets of parchment? What are the spells? I'm happy to split these with you Raven as you like....

-As none of us can use the Vorpal Sword; it makes sense that we would have sold/traded it for something(s)....unless I'm missing something?

-On those same lines, I'm happy to keep the Amulet of the Planes or sell/trade it.....thoughts?

Okay, gotta run again....but one last question for you Zhym:

If I'm reading Cure Light Wounds and Heal correctly (1st Edition Player's Handbook)....I can't use the reverse Harm or Cause (whatever) Wounds on lower planar creatures...is that correct?

Thanks!

GreyWolfVT

#94 Post by GreyWolfVT »

max_vale wrote:(These next few are for Raven, Greywolf and Zhym)-From the TOH Loot is it okay if Xale keeps the Cube of Force, Ring of Fire Resistance and 2 of the Healing Potions?

-The Scroll of 7 Clerical Spells.....are these on 7 separate sheets of parchment? What are the spells? I'm happy to split these with you Raven as you like....

-As none of us can use the Vorpal Sword; it makes sense that we would have sold/traded it for something(s)....unless I'm missing something?

-On those same lines, I'm happy to keep the Amulet of the Planes or sell/trade it.....thoughts?
Makes sense to sell the Vorpal Sword. The scrolls are of no use since they are not arcane. Fire resistance I added a ring of that to Odilo though if we traded other stuff I suppose I could have easily gotten one that way. The cube is fine if you want it as I don't want it. The healing potions I don't mind either.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thanks for the note. I'm updating my worksheet for what we can and probably shouldn't keep based on what's practical and what some of these items cost (for example, the Amulet of the Planes is 6000xp! Cool item, but is it cool enough for what other things we may need?).

I'll update in a bit and include the items you'd like to keep (I'm not attached to any one thing, really, as a cleric).

more in a bit..

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Zhym »

max_vale wrote:Can't update Xale's sheet here at work (argh!); but I'll do this tonight; and by your formula: 1d8 (4) + 1d10 (9) + 12 = 25 to add to Xale's 54 for a new total HP of 79. That seem right?
Yes, except I forgot in my formula that the rolled HP need to be halved. So it's 4/2 + 9.5/2 +12 = 21 to add, for a total of 75.
max_vale wrote:The Scroll of 7 Clerical Spells.....are these on 7 separate sheets of parchment? What are the spells?
I'll roll these (and other spell scrolls) hopefully tonight. They're...well, in one tube. Call it one sheet or seven; it shouldn't matter.
max_vale wrote:If I'm reading Cure Light Wounds and Heal correctly (1st Edition Player's Handbook)....I can't use the reverse Harm or Cause (whatever) Wounds on lower planar creatures...is that correct?
Correct.

I'm surprised no one wants a Vorpal sword, and I'm a little disappointed that most of the ToH loot seems to be getting treated as something to sell for other stuff. I don't want to penalize people for bringing their ToH characters in, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake somewhere in the magic item allocation if people are looking at an Amulet of the Planes and a frickin' Vorpal Sword and thinking, "Yeah, I could trade this in on something else."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by ravenn4544 »

Hey Zhym - looks like just rolling up the cleric scroll is enough (looks like we'll be selling the magic user ones). The levels of the spells will determine the final xp amount against our 25,000xp total. thanks.

GreyWolfVT

#98 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well a MU can't use a Vorpal sword unless i am reading the information wrong so what would a MU want with it? As for arcane scrolls I didn't know there were any. But so far of the ToH magical loot only the staff of power is anything I had on my sheet for magic items other than the ring of fire resistance. The amulet I didn't think would do much good in Hell but maybe I need to look at the description more...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Zhym »

I'd advise waiting until you find out what's on the scrolls before deciding to sell them. They may contains spells Odilo doesn't know and could only cast using the scroll.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by ravenn4544 »

Latest thinking on the ToH equipment...
List of equipment to sell:

sell gp 20% TOTAL
ITEM: LIST PRICE REDUCED PRICE (20%)
scroll of protection from lycanthropes 5000 4000
pot of treasure finding 2000 1600
pot of undead control 2500 2000