Chapter 1 (Hero Arc)

NINJA_HUNTER
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Chapter 1 (Hero Arc)

#101 Post by NINJA_HUNTER »

Rukellian wrote:The first responding firefighters are there to help assist with the flame extinguishing. Upon reaching the end of the corridor, Lucky is able to clear a path for the civilian rescue effort. He moves on to the second floor, doing the same.

Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 7 Your keen hearing allows you to pick up on more cries for help. With Scamp's help, you share this information with the firefighters. The next floor is a bit unstable, however, and the certain portions of the corridor are at risk of collapsing. I would like for you to roll against your Dodge to avoid any flaming debris falling from above.

-----

Jimmy's careful approach to investigating each floor prevents him from any unnecessary burns. The third floor is ablaze but not as bad as the first two. Lot's of smoke in the area. Roll against Perception twice to determine if you hear anyone and if there is a safe path to get to them. It is worth noting that the flame damage has caused certain parts of the flooring to collapse into the second floor, creating holes and unstable sections of walling.
You can roll for me Ruke I never fault gm's for a bad roll!

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#102 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Opening the door onto the third floor, Jimmy moves in. Thinking of his limited oxygen supply, he takes a calming breath (Breath Control [3d6] = 17) but is unable to slow his respiration to any effect. 'Well, better not delay I guess.", Jimmy thinks to himself as he listens for survivors, not trusting his vision with all the smoke. Thinking he (Perception Roll [3d6] = 8) hears something down the hall, Jimmy uses his extinguisher as needed to proceed that direction. Scanning his surroundings as he goes, Jimmy (Perception Roll [3d6] = 7) notices several unstable/collapsed sections of floor even with the thick smoke and is able to avoid them as he proceeds toward the sounds of survivors.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Rukellian »

Dodge for Lucky Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 13
Damage dealt Falling Building Debris [1d6-3] = 5-3 = 2

As Lucky rushes through the corridor to find more trapped patients and hospital staff, a section of the ceiling falls and strikes Lucky on the shoulder. He was not able to dodge it in time and took 2 points of damage to his hp. Lucky reaches the end of the corridor, having cleared a path successfully and opens the door to help the civilians escape. One is infirm though and cannot move on their own.

-----

Jimmy has better luck on his end and manages to avoid most of the pitfalls and ceiling collapses along the way. He reaches the room that has the patients inside, crying out for help. The only problem is the door. It's been blocked by a piece of fallen, flaming debris. It's big and heavy and the civilians on the other side have failed to get past it.

Actions!
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

NINJA_HUNTER
Tracker
Tracker

#104 Post by NINJA_HUNTER »

Rukellian wrote:Dodge for Lucky Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 13
Damage dealt Falling Building Debris [1d6-3] = 5-3 = 2

As Lucky rushes through the corridor to find more trapped patients and hospital staff, a section of the ceiling falls and strikes Lucky on the shoulder. He was not able to dodge it in time and took 2 points of damage to his hp. Lucky reaches the end of the corridor, having cleared a path successfully and opens the door to help the civilians escape. One is infirm though and cannot move on their own.

-----

Jimmy has better luck on his end and manages to avoid most of the pitfalls and ceiling collapses along the way. He reaches the room that has the patients inside, crying out for help. The only problem is the door. It's been blocked by a piece of fallen, flaming debris. It's big and heavy and the civilians on the other side have failed to get past it.

Actions!
I need a check to spot/locate a gurney or stretcher for infirm dude. I will place him on it. and touch one of the other peoples arms and signal by pointing which direction to go! Lucky points like the military with whole hand. Also apprise SCAMP of current sitrep.

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#105 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Jimmy attempts to put out the burning debris with his extinguisher, hoping its up to the task. Whether or not he gets the flames out, Jimmy looks around the debris in an attempt to figure out how to get it moved (Perception/IQ of 14, Perception Roll [3d6] = 5). If he finds it more unstable in one of its axes, he'll try to locate anything available nearby to use as a lever to move the debris enough to create an opening. Failing that, Jimmy will think to Scamp, "Scamp, any chance you could get on of those nearby supers to give me a hand freeing some trapped civilians from a room in the northwest* corner of the 3rd floor. They're trapped and I can't seem to get them out."

northwest* corner, or whatever location I think I am at.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Rukellian »

Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 13
Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 12

Lucky's keen sense of perception pulls through and he is able to spot a suitable gurney for the weak individual. Even without uttering a single word, his hand gestures are clear, and through the aid of SCAMP, the people know exactly where to go to reach a firefighter, or even better the exit.

Jimmy notices that applying leverage at just the right spot will do the trick. Wedging a solid piece of medical equipment underneath the burning rubble, creating a sort of see-saw like structure, the detective puts all of his weight on the one end and is able to slowly lift the rubble away from the door a few feet. Not completely, after everything is said and done, but it is enough for the door to open and people to slip through now.

Firefighters can be found at most levels of the hospital by now and actively assist the two heroes' efforts as they sweep through the floors.

To keep this sequence moving, I'm going to do a brief time skip now and bring you all to the conclusion of the hospital incident. You all stagger out of the building, after having rescued the last of the occupants, and feel quite drained from the process. There was a lot of lifting involved, running around, dodging falling flaming debris, jumping over unstable flooring, stairs and the occasional scuffle bashing in of a stuck door. Regardless of where you stood in society going into this, coming out, everyone nearby recognized you as a true hero after this incident. The firefighters and police personally come to thank you.

The situation has stabilized and the panic level of the surrounding area has calmed down some, the latter thanks to Scamp's telepathic efforts. He approaches you two, tail waving in anticipation of what will happen next and silently asks you two, "What's next on the list? I'm eager to get started!"
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

NINJA_HUNTER
Tracker
Tracker

#107 Post by NINJA_HUNTER »

Rukellian wrote:Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 13
Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 12

Lucky's keen sense of perception pulls through and he is able to spot a suitable gurney for the weak individual. Even without uttering a single word, his hand gestures are clear, and through the aid of SCAMP, the people know exactly where to go to reach a firefighter, or even better the exit.

Jimmy notices that applying leverage at just the right spot will do the trick. Wedging a solid piece of medical equipment underneath the burning rubble, creating a sort of see-saw like structure, the detective puts all of his weight on the one end and is able to slowly lift the rubble away from the door a few feet. Not completely, after everything is said and done, but it is enough for the door to open and people to slip through now.

Firefighters can be found at most levels of the hospital by now and actively assist the two heroes' efforts as they sweep through the floors.

To keep this sequence moving, I'm going to do a brief time skip now and bring you all to the conclusion of the hospital incident. You all stagger out of the building, after having rescued the last of the occupants, and feel quite drained from the process. There was a lot of lifting involved, running around, dodging falling flaming debris, jumping over unstable flooring, stairs and the occasional scuffle bashing in of a stuck door. Regardless of where you stood in society going into this, coming out, everyone nearby recognized you as a true hero after this incident. The firefighters and police personally come to thank you.

The situation has stabilized and the panic level of the surrounding area has calmed down some, the latter thanks to Scamp's telepathic efforts. He approaches you two, tail waving in anticipation of what will happen next and silently asks you two, "What's next on the list? I'm eager to get started!"
Find out from the authorities if they have any leads based on the evidence of the multiple attacks with their own vehicles and such?

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#108 Post by BuckshotChuck »

"SCAMP, would you mind rooting around to see if you can pick out any thoughts of people that may have been involved in this attack and are still around?"

Turning to Lucky, Jimmy states, "With the explosion at the police station, and the police getting called to respond in all directions, I don't know how much help they can provide us, other than responding to any further incidents. If we wanted to cause havok city wide, how would we do it? A sequence of 'events' that drags first responders to where the perpetrators want them to be could be a setup for what they really want, whether that is a bank robbery, kidnapping of an official, or any assortment of reasons. Having access to the vehicles should narrow down our options though."

Putting some more thought to the issue, (Criminology, Perception, Law Enforcement, or Human Psychology check (all at target 14) [2d6] = 7) Jimmy responds to his own question with, "My educated guess would be...."

Left trailing off for you to fill in Jimmy's response based on his use of trained skills to determine what might be coming next, where the next target might be, or where we can gather more information.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Rukellian »

Jimmy responds to his own question with, "My educated guess would be that we are dealing with a high-profile villain with an extensive history in demolitions, someone with enough funds to buy and or create high-yield, and probably illegal, explosives, and who has the manpower to carry out multiple terroristic attacks at once." Jimmy is familiar with multiple dossiers on Atlas City's worst, even some that are international. Conferring with his co-workers, he narrows the list down to a few suspects, the top one being a villain called Hot Streak.

"Hot Streak fits the bill when we look at the strikes from a personal motivation point of view. He was a former hero, based off of the reports we have on him, a former member of the Paragon 8. He seems to have no qualms about harming innocents, so the hospital arson and the two bombings fit his expertise in demolition work. However, we have not been able to get a bead on his location as of yet. Today, he slipped up. We have the remains of the vehicles he used for the attacks, and we have camera black boxes to identify some of his henchmen. Through them, perhaps we can learn where one of his bases of operation may be hidden."

It's a long stretch to be sure, but Jimmy's experience in these sort of cases puts a level of confidence behind his words.

Scamp's mental search of the area yields no concrete results. The criminals behind it must have gotten away some time ago. With the security camera footage, you should be able to figure out when.

Go ahead and roll for any appropriate skills you may have, with the knowledge that the camera black boxes will yield a +4 to all investigative rolls. Further rolls using Law Enforcement may yield some more information depending on the success of the roll, like who was issued certain vehicles at certain times, were any identification cards stolen, are other groups pursuing investigations of their own, stuff like that.

NINJA_HUNTER
Tracker
Tracker

#110 Post by NINJA_HUNTER »

Rukellian wrote:Jimmy responds to his own question with, "My educated guess would be that we are dealing with a high-profile villain with an extensive history in demolitions, someone with enough funds to buy and or create high-yield, and probably illegal, explosives, and who has the manpower to carry out multiple terroristic attacks at once." Jimmy is familiar with multiple dossiers on Atlas City's worst, even some that are international. Conferring with his co-workers, he narrows the list down to a few suspects, the top one being a villain called Hot Streak.

"Hot Streak fits the bill when we look at the strikes from a personal motivation point of view. He was a former hero, based off of the reports we have on him, a former member of the Paragon 8. He seems to have no qualms about harming innocents, so the hospital arson and the two bombings fit his expertise in demolition work. However, we have not been able to get a bead on his location as of yet. Today, he slipped up. We have the remains of the vehicles he used for the attacks, and we have camera black boxes to identify some of his henchmen. Through them, perhaps we can learn where one of his bases of operation may be hidden."

It's a long stretch to be sure, but Jimmy's experience in these sort of cases puts a level of confidence behind his words.

Scamp's mental search of the area yields no concrete results. The criminals behind it must have gotten away some time ago. With the security camera footage, you should be able to figure out when.

Go ahead and roll for any appropriate skills you may have, with the knowledge that the camera black boxes will yield a +4 to all investigative rolls. Further rolls using Law Enforcement may yield some more information depending on the success of the roll, like who was issued certain vehicles at certain times, were any identification cards stolen, are other groups pursuing investigations of their own, stuff like that.

Maybe check traffic cams to see where the vehicles came from?

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#111 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Agreeing with Lucky, via SCAMP, Jimmy leads them where they can review the camera feeds. Once there, we can review the recordings to find the identified bombing vehicle and which direction it came from, as well as possibly who was driving and which way they left ((14) Electronics Operation (Security) Check [3d6] = 6) If needed, Jimmy also reaches out to officers at the other two scenes to see if they can shoot over photos of vehicle remains there so we can search for all three and maybe pull some clues from the wreckage ((TN 14) Forensics Check [3d6] = 12)

Not sure if we have access to the camera feeds here, or if we need to visit a precinct.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Rukellian »

Satellite imaging and facial recognition/reconstruction, the latest in surveillance technologies are implemented all over Atlas City to aid in the protection of its citizenry. With the traffic cam footage on hand, and through a careful forensic analysis of the vehicle wreckages found, you are able to identify the drivers of the two vehicles used, as well as the timestamps of when certain vehicles went missing at their respective locations.

The perpetrators came from the Industrial Sector of Atlas City. Based off of the profiles, these guys seem to be petty criminals, average joes that got some time in jail and was released on good behavior. Alone, they were easy to handle by local police, but if they are working together under a supervillain, their numbers could be greater. You don't need to make any rolls to figure out where they live, where they currently work; the police always have access to such records.

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#113 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Turning toward his newfound acquaintances, Jimmy says, "Well, looks like I'm gonna have to do some legwork. Gotta see if I can track one or both of these perpetrators down. Since the police have their hands full, you guys wanna come along and help me track them down?"

I'll lead the others to my nondescript duty car to head out. Pulling up the addresses for the two thugs on my in car system, I plot a course to first one, and then the other's addresses. I'll only head out once the others are ready.

NINJA_HUNTER
Tracker
Tracker

#114 Post by NINJA_HUNTER »

BuckshotChuck wrote:Turning toward his newfound acquaintances, Jimmy says, "Well, looks like I'm gonna have to do some legwork. Gotta see if I can track one or both of these perpetrators down. Since the police have their hands full, you guys wanna come along and help me track them down?"

I'll lead the others to my nondescript duty car to head out. Pulling up the addresses for the two thugs on my in car system, I plot a course to first one, and then the other's addresses. I'll only head out once the others are ready.
Lucky gives a thumbs up and follows in the van. After opening the door for SCAMP

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Rukellian »

You both arrive at one of the middle-class sections of the industrial sector. Rows of houses can be found cluttering a run-down part of the city. Though many here work high-end salaries at the factories, the level of crime and violence in this region makes it hard to stay for long. The condition of the streets and houses reflect this, not getting the repair work they need from city officials.

When you arrive at the first suspect's house, you notice the area has a few small groups hanging around street corners. Judging from their appearances and behavior, you can surmise that they are opportunistic thugs, relying on numbers and weapons to get what they want. Some of them casually look over at your direction. They whisper to each other but don't make any advances, probably trying to eye you and your vehicles up.

NINJA_HUNTER
Tracker
Tracker

#116 Post by NINJA_HUNTER »

Rukellian wrote:You both arrive at one of the middle-class sections of the industrial sector. Rows of houses can be found cluttering a run-down part of the city. Though many here work high-end salaries at the factories, the level of crime and violence in this region makes it hard to stay for long. The condition of the streets and houses reflect this, not getting the repair work they need from city officials.

When you arrive at the first suspect's house, you notice the area has a few small groups hanging around street corners. Judging from their appearances and behavior, you can surmise that they are opportunistic thugs, relying on numbers and weapons to get what they want. Some of them casually look over at your direction. They whisper to each other but don't make any advances, probably trying to eye you and your vehicles up.

SCAMP How dangerous are they(lucky thinks) Lucky using his superior vision and LIP reading tries to gather what they are whispering (at least the ones facing him) also he uses his strategy/tactics to determine if all the groups are coordinated or separate. also are any nearby vehicles running-may try to escape?

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#117 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Rather than trying to be circumspect, Jimmy pulls up directly in front of the suspect's house. Hopping out of the car, he walks with just enough swagger and confidence to make it look look like he belongs here. Tossing just enough of a glance at the nearby group to let them know he would not appreciate them messing with his ride, he approaches the door while thinking to SCAMP, "Keep an eye on that group and let me know if they head this way. In the meantime I'll verify our target is here and see if I can get him to talk." Jimmy knocks on the door.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Rukellian »

Scamp is able to sniff out the surface thoughts of the people gathered on the street corner.

Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 10

The one group is on the lookout for a particular man. Jimmy nor Lucky fit that man's description. The other group thinks they can get the drop on Lucky and snatch his van. Scamp growls.

Gurps Skill Roll [3d6] = 10
Enemy Gurps skill roll [3d6] = 10

.... the group thinks better of it and goes back to whatever they were doing.

Reading their lips proves an easy task for Lucky. They seem to be talking amongst themselves, conversations jumping from 'we ordering Chinese again' to 'encroaching on our turf'. Apparently, the two groups you spotted are separate and have a beef with each other. You do not see any running vehicles nearby.

------

This wasn't Jimmy's first rodeo, wouldn't be his last either. He knew how to deal with these sort of people, and showed it through his body language. After knocking on the door, you hear the sound of footsteps slowly approaching. The door opens but stops suddenly, a chain on the other side preventing it from swinging open all the way. The person who answers the door is a young woman, in her early to mid-20s. She looks at you warily and asks in an impatient tone of voice, "Who are you? What do you want?"

BuckshotChuck
Guide
Guide

#119 Post by BuckshotChuck »

Using the information he pulled from the police files, Jimmy quickly replies, "Where's Larry? We've got one last thing to do before we get paid." Jimmy continues with the fast talk ( Fast Talk (TN:14) [3d6] = 7) while listening (Perception (TN:14) [3d6] = 11) through the open door to see if he hears the perp. He'll continue in this vein to get the perp out the front door so they can have a conversation where SCAMP can pick up his surface thoughts, if the perp is even here. If he can pull it off, he'll get the perp to Lucky's van with a story about how it is our transportation to the next target.

Note, I used the name Larry, but substitute the perp's name/nickname from the police file if you have a different one already picked.

NINJA_HUNTER
Tracker
Tracker

#120 Post by NINJA_HUNTER »

BuckshotChuck wrote:Using the information he pulled from the police files, Jimmy quickly replies, "Where's Larry? We've got one last thing to do before we get paid." Jimmy continues with the fast talk ( Fast Talk (TN:14) [3d6] = 7) while listening (Perception (TN:14) [3d6] = 11) through the open door to see if he hears the perp. He'll continue in this vein to get the perp out the front door so they can have a conversation where SCAMP can pick up his surface thoughts, if the perp is even here. If he can pull it off, he'll get the perp to Lucky's van with a story about how it is our transportation to the next target.

Note, I used the name Larry, but substitute the perp's name/nickname from the police file if you have a different one already picked.
Lucky will walk around the side of the house where he has full view of the van as well as the back of the house!

Return to “Rebirth of Power (4e GURPS)”