Villian Character Creation thread (Villian players only)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Villian Character Creation thread (Villian players only)

#21 Post by Rukellian »

Monsieur Rose wrote:So a few thoughts.
First, meta-traits. Can we tweak those to better fit concepts?
Second, it looks like allies can be possessed, and probably robots. How could we model possessing inanimate objects and making them move around? I'd like to be able to have a group of summonable allies in the form of dolls. Said dolls would have advantages, like regular allies, and be built out. YAY GURPS!
Thanks!

We can take this to PM if that would work better.
We can talk about it in here; however, I would like to start this conversation tomorrow, if possible. I have a few ideas to answer your questions, and some suggestions, but I'd rather sit down and focus on them when I'm not half-tired.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rukellian »

For your first question, can we tweak the Meta Traits to better fit character concepts? Certainly! Just make sure you run by me the changes you are making. I have final say if I deem something too unbalanced, or if I find anything contradictory.

Allies can be possessed, and robots too. The Possession Advantage paired with the Puppet Advantage would work for your character concept. To get the ghost like effect you can use the Insubstantiality with the limiter Always On and the enhancement Affect Substantial. The final cost for that would be [120]. There is also the Spirit Meta Trait package [261], but it can be costly if you have Possession and Puppets as well. Possession by itself is [100], but it has two limitations you can pick from unique to it. Puppets only for a 30% reduction, or Spiritual for 20% off. You cannot take on both, it has to be either or.

As I mentioned above, Puppets would work well, but remember, it is a separate advantage that is tacked onto a regular Ally or group of identical allies. With the Puppet status tacked on, you get a discount on Possession if you pick Puppet Only.

There is a VH necromantic spell in the GURPS Magic supplemental guide called Animation. It is a spell that animates an inanimate object depicted as a human or has a human or animal like body, allowing it to move on its own and follow simple orders. I can tweak this spell and turn it into an enhancement for the Possession Advantage, allowing a character to possess and control an inanimate object as if it were animated. It would be a +20% sort of deal. If the object could not talk on its own, you can't either while possessing it, unless you have Telesend.

Now for this kind of character concept, I have a suggestion if you have a problem with running out of points. The ghost itself could take on the Ability Scores of its object or Puppet, thus freeing itself of the need to boost its own stats when outside of an object. If it is Insubstantial and cannot affect the physical plane normally, we could remove its ST and free up 100 pts. A lot of the physical based skills that rely on DX could also be rendered useless if you cannot interact with the substantial world, hence another avenue of points if you reduce your DX as we suggested with ST. The downside to lowering DX though would be that your speed, move and dodge scores would take a hit.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#23 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Here's a good puppet for you.

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Heh. That puppet would work. :twisted: I was also thinking of chucky. Or an evil pinocchio.

Excellent ideas! I'd worked through some of them and I especially like the animation enhancement on possession.

First, the meta-trait spirit: It has doesn't breathe [20], doesn't eat [20], doesn't sleep [20], unaging [15]. It also has insub (affect sub +100%, usually on -40%) [128], and invisible (sub only -10%, usually on +5%) [38]. The immune metabolic hazards [30] is confusing.

I'd keep the first 4 (breathe/eat/sleep/age).
I'd tweak invisible to be always on, but only to machines -50% [20]. It seems more thematic, be able to be seen by people, but never captured on cameras. I'm envisioning a translucent outline type form, like the image on page 62 illustrating insub.
I'm not sure of the need of metabolic hazards, a faq about insub kinda clarified what can affect insub characters. Very few if any metabolic things would.
I'd like to tweak insub to be always on (-50%). I'm ok with needing affect sub, but have seen differing opinions on whether mental abilities count as affect substantial. Up to you, but I plan on only having night vision, possession, and terror (point allowing :D ), spending a lot of points when not needed hurts. It's an interesting argument, but not worth alienating anyone over. :D*I wonder if there could be a limitation on affects substantial, something like 'can only use non-damaging mental abilities'.

I like your idea of burning physical stats to free points. I'm ok with the downsides, it feels like it makes sense thematically. Those ghosts in ghostbusters always seems quite surprised and helpless when those proton pack light up.

I'll post a work-up soon. Thanks for your patience, haggling in character creation is always worse for me in gurps.

*edited* I've edited my post a few hours after. After doing a deep dive into many online arguments, I've changed my stance on this. One of the line editors declared mind control, mind reading, and telesend to require affect substantial.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rukellian »

It would seem as if both of us are on the same wavelength here. I can't argue with any of your requests, it all makes sense. You have my approval for the changes, and I'm glad my suggestions were helpful.

As for the last part, though, I may have to put my foot down on the limits of affect substantial. When I think of mental-based abilities, psionics, I think of the immaterial, the astral, the mystical, the soul. The body and objects of the material world are substantial. To interact with said objects, you would need the enhancement affect substantial. To interact with the mind itself, or to manipulate it, I won't require such.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Monsieur Rose »

First glimpse

Lord Vincent Theophilus Shaftslapper the Third "Gepetto"

[311]
ST 5 [-50] HP 6 [+2]
DX 5 [-100] Per 16 [0]
IQ 16 [120] Will 17 [+5]
HT 5 [-50] FP 6 [+3]

Speed 4 [+30]
Dodge 7
Move 4

Advantages:
Spirit meta-trait
  • Doesn’t Breathe [20]
    Doesn’t Eat [10]
    Doesn’t Sleep [20]
    Insubstantiality (always on -50%) [40]
    Invisibility (machines only -50%) [20]
    Unaging [15]
(Vincent is a ghost. He doesn't eat, drink, sleep, breathe, or age. Cannot interact with the physical world while a ghost. People can see him, but he isn't captured on camera.)

Possession (spiritual -20%, inanimate +20%, chronic +20%) [120]
(Can possess others by merging his form with theirs. He is able to do this with inanimate objects and move around as if they could walk. He is able to leave a back-door into people he inhabits at a cost of 5pts to buy them as a puppet. These unfortunates don't get to resist a second possession.)

Mimicry [10]
(Able to create spooky voices and noises that he hears)

Ally:Doll [8]
Puppet group (dolls) [10]
(A group of robots that he created in life, now used as shells for his amusement)
Dolls to come

Terror [30]
(He is a ghost, and is able to scare the crap out of people, if desired. Forces a fright-check.)

Hyperspectral Vision [25]
(Able to see a wide spectrum of wavelengths.)

SuperSpeed [30]
(Can appear to pop in and out, appearing all around his local haunt.)

Penetrating Voice [1]
(Able to raise his voice above the din of the locals screaming.)

Disadvantages:
Dead Broke [-25]
(He's a ghost. He doesn't carry a wallet. Also, he's dead. Hard to find employment.)

Callous [-5]
(He was always an uncaring man, taunted by years of abuse for his last name. Coming from a long, long line of Shaftslappers was hard.)

Compulsive carousing [-5]
(Now dead, he has an overwhelming urge to experience life once more.)

Social stigma [-5]
(Both a criminal and a ghost is not a popular combo.)

Enemy (church) rival/quite often [-30]
(The Catholic Church discriminates against the non-living. They make it quite difficult to go about his day.)

Skills:[38]
Acting 16 [2]
Bioengineering 15 [2]
Computer Op 16 [1]
Diplomacy 15 [2]
Electrician 16 [2]
Electronic Op 16 [2]
Electronic R 16 [2]
Engineer-Robotics 16 [4]
Exorcism 14 [1]
Forgery 14 [1]
Intimidation 15 [2]
Machinist 16 [2]
Math-applied 15 [2]
Mechanic-robotics 16 [2]
Observation 16 [2]
Occultism 15 [1]
Research 15 [1]
Ritual Magic-voodoo 13 [1]
Search 16 [2]
Shadowing 16 [2]
Tracking 16 [2]
Last edited by Monsieur Rose on Wed May 03, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rukellian »

I like what I see so far. I will go over all the point calculations on my end once the sheet is finished. We shall have some fun with this character concept, for sure.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ok. Dolls...

Each ally doll is made with a similar template:
Ally: 25% point total (87.5 pts), almost all the time *3, minion (IQ 0) +0% +50%, summonable +100% [6] (1 *3 +100%) [8] (1 *3 +150%)
Each ally costs 6 7.5 (8)pts, can have up to 87.5 pts, is summonable almost all the time (roll 15 or less)
I look at it as if they reside in a supernatural existence until called upon. Kinda like the candyman.
*Writing this up, I think having minion at 0%, but then getting points from zeroing IQ doesn't work. I think making minion +50% fixes that for very little point change.*

Each doll is mechanical, a robot type thing made by Vincent and altered by his death.
Three are humanoid-based, one is cat-based. I used housecat stats from the book.

Doll 1: Clawed Doll [-6] A small, quick, creepy slasher doll
25% almost always, minion, summon

ST 7 [-30] DX 7[-60] IQ 0 [-200] HT 10
HP 7 W 0 Per 0 Sp 5 [15] D 8 Mv 10 [25]
SM -4, 5lbs

Mechanical [25]
Doll outer shell (1)
Doesn’t eat or drink [10]
Doesn’t breathe [20]
Sealed [15]
Infravision [10]
Enhanced move [20]
Silence [10]
Claws, Long talon 11pts Follow-up: affliction (hallucination)+50% 15pts [26]
High pain threshold [10]
Damage resistance, no armor -40% DR 5 [15]
Striking [30]
Skills [52]
Brawling 12 [16]
Running 14 [16]
Stealth 12 [20]

Doll 2: Flying Doll [-72] Because man wants to fly. As a teddy bear.

ST 7 [-30] DX 7 [-60] IQ 0 [-200] HT 10
HP 7 W 0 Per 0 Sp 5 [15] D 8 Mv 5 Air Sp 15 [20]
SM -4, 5lbs

Mechanical [25]
Doll outer shell [1]
Doesn’t breathe [20]
Sealed [15]
Damage resistance (no armor -40%) DR 5 [15]
Enhanced move (air) [20]
TK [25] I'm thinking a fine motor tractor-beam type thing
Flight [40]
Skills [12]
Aerobatics 13 [12]

Doll 3: Hedonism-Bot [19] Every half-mad robot scientist has to be working on this, right?

ST 8 [-20] DX 11 [20] IQ 0 [-200] HT 10
HP 8 W 0 Per 0 Sp 5.25 D 8 Mv 5

Mechanical [25]
Acute Senses,Taste and Smell [10]
Nu-Flesh Outer shell [1]
Flexible [15]
Fliter lungs [5]
High Manual Dexterity [25]
Voice [10]
Transcendent, androgynous [20]
Hyperspectral Vision [25]
Microscopic vision, 100xpower [10]
Sensitive touch [10]
Hermaphromorph [5]
Skills [48]
Erotic art 11 [2]
Sex appeal 10 [2]
Acrobatics 14 [16]
Carousing 14 [12]
Dancing 13 [8]
Driving, motorcycle 13 [8]

Doll 4: Feline sneak
[82] A quiet cat-like robot to spy on potential victims

ST 4 DX 14 IQ 0 [-80] HT 10
HP 4 Will 0 [-35] Per 0 [-40] Sp 6 Dodge 10 Mv 15 [25]
SM -3, 10lbs

Machine [25]
Fur Outer shell [1]
Doesn’t breathe [20]
Catfall [10]
Clinging [20]
Chameleon [10]
Discriminatory hearing [15]
Enhanced Move [20]
Flexible [5]
Hyperspectral vision [25]
Perfect balance [15]
Penetrating vision [10]
Subsonic hearing [5]
Super jump [10]
Ultra hearing [5]
Skills [6]
Jumping 16 [4]
Stealth 14 [2]

GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Am I all set Ruke?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rukellian »

GreyWolfVT: Your character sheet is ready as far as I'm concerned; however, if you wanted to add Bad Temper, a -10 disadvantage to him, you can still do so. This would allow you 10 extra points to spend in whatever you'd like. When you are ready, feel free to post what we have into the Finalized Villain thread.

Monsieur Rose: The dolls look legit, and I don't mind you adding the additional cost when calculating the allies. I don't know when, but I will get around to actually double checking your sheet, as I do for everyone else, but so far it seems like you've got everything down. Won't be much work on my end for the review.

GreyWolfVT

#31 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Blake Hayes, Hot Streak

ST 10 [0] HP 24 [28]
DX 14 [80] Per 13 [0]
IQ 13 [60] Will 13 [0]
HT 13 [30] FP 10 [-9]

Basic Lift: 39 lbs How much you can carry over your head with one hand for one turn.
Speed: 6.25 This is what determines the starting order in combat.
Move: 6 This is your normal movement rate in combat when not superspeeding.
Dodge: 10* You will need to roll a 10 or less to dodge most melee and ranged attacks, attacks that you can see coming that is.

Advantages:
Ally (Vorpal) [15]
- Appears on a roll of 15 or less
- Worth 350 points
Enhanced Dodge* [15]
Filthy Rich (100x starting wealth) [50] You start with $2,000,000 or 2 million dollars.
Immunity to Metabolic Hazards [30]
Innate Attack (Fire control/manipulation/creation) [81]
- Flame Sweep (Spray an arc of fire before you in a sweeping motion) 3d6 burn {9}
- Fire Blast (A concentrated spray of fire in one spot) 5d6 burn {9}
- Hot Feet (Erupt a large fire underneath a foe) 2d6 burn {9}
- Flaming Wall (Run with Superspeed and leave a trail of tall fire behind you) {9}
- Blazing Bullet (Shoot a target from afar with a concentrated beam of fire) 9d6+1 burn {45}
Signature Gear (Flame pack with gauntlets) [1]
- When worn, boosts attacks by 1d
- Can be damaged, destroyed or stolen
Super Speed [30]
Very Fast Regeneration (Recover 1 HP per second/turn) [30]
- Triggered only when you take a hit that deals more than half your total hitpoints. {-30%}
- Can happen only once a day. {-40%}

Disadvantages:
Bad Temper [-10]
Enemy (Raven) [-10]
Intolerance (Half-assed Heroes) [-10]
- You cannot stand heroes who cannot finish what they've started and kill the bad guy(s).
Pyromaniac [-10]
- Must roll a 12 or less to resist starting a fire when given the opportunity, if its bad for you to do so at the exact moment.
Overconfident [-5]
- Must roll a 12 or less to resist doing something that is way over your head. If you fail, you must go ahead as if you've got this in the bag.
Obsession: [-20]
"I was a hero, on a team of supers. We had a good running history, but on the day of our big win, the day we caught one of the worst villains,
my team was just going to give him to the justice system. I knew that would be too light a sentencing on a vile being such as this.
I expressed this openly to the team, they thought my views of justice and exacting it was too harsh, too extreme.
So I went to the villain and was about to exact my justice upon him, the others did not like that, and tried to stop me, they attacked me and worst yet they BETRAYED ME!
This betrayal sparked a great hatred in me for supers and the pathetic people I once tried to protect.
They managed to subdue me, and I was being sent off to a prison for criminals with powers.
Unbeknownst to my old team there was some sort of an accident when I was being transported.
Something hit the boat I was being transported in, something big wrecked a good portion of the ship.
Most of the crew and a good number of the other transportees were killed. I survived, somehow, and started to plot and plan.
I needed to change things I needed to wipe the current justice system out and form my own.
I needed to put a stop to the supers and aid the weak humans in their self destructive ways.
I also needed to exact revenge on those who betrayed me I have to get back at them for what they have done.
I need to show them all my ways of justice are right, they are WRONG!"
- If you decide to do something that goes against your obsession in some way, roll a 6 or less to be able to do it.
Social Stigma (You're a villain.) [-10]

Skills:
Demolitions 13 [2]
Innate Attack (Beam/Fire) 16 [4]
Shadowing 13 [2]
Stealth 14 [2]
Streetwise 13 [2]
Urban Survival 13 [2]

GreyWolfVT

#32 Post by GreyWolfVT »

wow Monsieur Rose that character name is a mouthful. :shock:

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Monsieur Rose »

:D He's an old school Englishman of proper bearing. Or was. ;)

GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'll just call him Gepetto that or LVTS3 ;)

You can be like R2D2 or C3PO :lol:

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Vince or dead guy work too. :D

GreyWolfVT

#36 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Provided that is once the two encounter one another. ;)

Return to “Rebirth of Power (4e GURPS)”