CHAPTER ONE: Into the Temple

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER ONE: Into the Temple

#201 Post by Norjax »

* Toross and Symond move the table and some chairs to block the northern door after Kid Crimson closes it. Symond then moves to the natural steps beyond the secret door.

* Timmy joins Irakas at the wooden door in the cave. He examines the construction and, after determining that it’s safe, slides the latch and cracks the door, swinging it inward.

* Irakas peers into the opening with his sword pointing forward. Looking beyond the door with his infravision, the halfling sees another cave chamber with a floor that appears dry compared to the rest of these natural caverns. Against the north wall is a crude, metal chest.

* Toross and Kid Crimson move into the caves and down the natural steps to meet up with Beefheart and Sitrus.

* Miss Cleo continues to look over her comatose comrades, but she begins to have doubts concerning their recovery.

Map:
DET22.png
DET22.png (157.56 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Action?[/b]

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by coil23 »

Quill and Toldren maintain their positions to guard the unconscious.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Starbeard »

Toross valiantly strides up to the north door of the cave and peers in, speaking in a tense, moody whisper. "I am no lowly vagabond or thief, but I do have the tools used by thieves. I shall venture forth and attempt to unlock the secrets of this chest." He quietly slips past the door and scans the room for occupants.

Sitrus slips some skin to Timmy when he arrives. "Hey, dude. Check it out, there's like a chest or something in there. Toross is totally gonna go for it." He peeks through the door, keeping his shovel ready in case things go sour.

Beefheart stands reluctantly at the east edge of the cave, guarding the tunnel in that direction.

Kid Crimson stands by the doorway and eggs Toross on. "Go for it! I bet there's a thousand gold pieces in there. Don't worry, I'll cover you with my crowbar. I'm a pretty good shot with it."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#204 Post by kalstone »

"I'll go along with you, Toross," says Irakas. "Not that I don't trust you alone with any of that sweet, sweet golden loot that is probably in it."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#205 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Timmy skins back, hoping that he did it right.
"A chest you say? Now that is definitely something to sing about."
He enters the room a little ways in order to watch the backs of those going for the chest.

Symond moves ahead and watches the natural corridor that leads to the east, making sure that nothing makes its way up behind the group at the north door. "Careful now. I have heard that chests can have nasty tricks and traps built into them."

Miss Cleo doesn't like the way the prone forms are starting to look a little blue in the gills. To avoid any bad ju-ju from the dead leaving their physical shells, she moves through the secret door and stands in the spot that Symond just vacated. She uses her hands to watch all around her, specifically the stairs that lead to the north. "Tell me now, what's happnin up der? Didja fine someting good?"

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Norjax »

* Toross and Irakas enter the room and make their way to the chest. As they enter the room, details begin to reveal themselves. The room is a dark, natural cavern with some light debris on the floor. There are no puddles or moisture present. A wooden shelf hangs along the west wall and contains scattered foodstuff that looks fresh, but unkept. A 5ft. arched opening leads into another dark chamber which contains crates and barrels.

The crude metal chest appears to be unbarred and no lock is present. Toross checks the outside of the chest and does not notice anything unusual about this trunk of poor craftsmanship.

* Timmy, Symond and Miss Cleo take up new positions.

Map:
DET23.png
DET23.png (169.75 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
Actions?[/b]

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Starbeard »

Sitrus wanders into the cave with the chest, bobbing his shaggy head up and down as he looks around. "Gnarly! We could totally chill down here for, like, ever." He starts rifling through the foodstuffs on the shelf for something to munch.

Toross looks ominously at Irakas. "I see no traps on the outside of this chest, but we must maintain diligence." He retrieves an implement from his toolkit and tries to shimmy it underneath the lid, dragging it carefully along the lid's length to see if it catches against any mechanisms hidden inside.

Kid Crimson begins to whistle softly from boredom and wanders over to the alcove, checking out the barrels. He uses his crowbar to pry open a couple.

Beefheart continues to stand nervously at the edge of the eastern tunnel with Symond, making small talk. "Uh... nice weather today, isn't it?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#208 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Timmy follows Kid into the crate room and helps him search through the spoils there.

Miss Cleo watches for danger in every direction, turning the palms of her hands and getting used to the strange sensation on her face.

Symond inches forward down the tunnel, trying to get a better look at what might lie ahead. He uncomfortably replies to Beef's small talk. I cant say really, since we are currently underground. The better question might be.....where do you think this wet tunnel leads to?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#209 Post by kalstone »

Irakas helps to open some of the crates. "I could set up a shop here selling crates and barrels. I could call it ... Pottery Barn."

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Norjax »

Sitrus sorts through the unkept rations and collects 10-days’ worth of standard rations.

Toross carefully drags his shim tool under the lid to see if anything catches or trips from the movement. Nothing happens, so the elf forester opens the chest and discovers a small book and a vial of red liquid, capped with a wax plug.

Kid Crimson, Timmy and Irakas enter the crate chamber to explore its contents. Kid goes directly to a barrel and begins to pry it open with his crowbar.

Timmy and Irakas explore the contents of the room, before moving to open a crate. Irakas, fixated by the promise of opening a shop, begins to open one of the crates after grabbing the crowbar from Kid. Kid scoffs at the halfling and peers into the first barrel, which is half full of fluid smelling like good, aged wine.

Timmy takes notice of a metal door set into the north wall. It is secured shut by an iron slide with collars. A small barred window is in the upper center of the door. As Kid and Irakas attend to the barrels and crates, Timmy hears a sound behind the door and someone calls out, “Hello?”

Symond, borrowing Beefheart’s lantern, inches forward down the damp tunnel. He stops when the light reveals a turn to the north, blocking further view.

Map:

Actions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#211 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Miss Cleo continues keeping watch.

Symond has seen enough and returns to the spot where he just was, handing back the lantern.
"I don't want to get too far ahead. That wouldn't be prudent."

Timmy hurries to the metal door and replies through the bars.
"Hello yourself. Need a hand? Who are you and how did you come to be locked in there?" He silently celebrates the fact that they may have just saved their first lost villager.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Starbeard »

Sitrus eats some of rations and carries the rest over to those in the next room. "Munchies! Chow down everybody," he says with his mouth full of food. He wanders over to the metal door and looks through the viewing window.

Toross gathers up the contents of the chest and peruses the book.

Kid Crimson continues to pry open the crates, daring someone to take a drink of the sweet liquid they found.

Beefheart looks wide-eyed down the corridor, to timid to do much of anything else. (Does Beef have a lantern? I thought it was Irakas who had one going into the cave tunnel.)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#213 Post by coil23 »

Quill moves to stand at the entrance to the cavern to be able to hear if anything happens where the others have gone. Toldren maintains his position and the two of them stand to where they can see and signal to one another as needed.

sirravd

#214 Post by sirravd »

Timmy hurries to the metal door and replies through the bars.
"Hello yourself. Need a hand? Who are you and how did you come to be locked in there?" He silently celebrates the fact that they may have just saved their first lost villager.
There is an elf –– scrawny even by elven standards –– peering out from behind the bars, with a tall man behind him. "Help!" whispers the elf. The man cuts him off, sneering: "Shut up, I'll handle this." Then, to the people on the other side of the bars: "I'm a woodcutter; my name is Quangah. The elf and I –– his name's Bugg –– were captured by cloaked men some time ago."

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Norjax »

Starbeard wrote:(Does Beef have a lantern? I thought it was Irakas who had one going into the cave tunnel.)
Beefheart took the lantern from Myles.

Irakas has infravision.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#216 Post by OGRE MAGE »

sirravd wrote:There is an elf –– scrawny even by elven standards –– peering out from behind the bars, with a tall man behind him. "Help!" whispers the elf. The man cuts him off, sneering: "Shut up, I'll handle this." Then, to the people on the other side of the bars: "I'm a woodcutter; my name is Quangah. The elf and I –– his name's Bugg –– were captured by cloaked men some time ago."
Timmy gets excited.
"How did you get in there? Do you know how to get out, or if there are any keys around? Perhaps we could break down the door to get you out? What do the rest of you guys think? Should we trust them and try to let them out?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#217 Post by kalstone »

Irakas excitedly asks, "Is there a reward for your return?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Starbeard »

Kid Crimson stops and looks up at the mention of a reward, now carefully paying attention to the conversation.

sirravd

#219 Post by sirravd »

"A reward? Of course!" says Quangah. The hideous open sores that cover the inside of his mouth are now visible. "A very rich reward indeed. Simply free my slave and myself, and we will see to it that you are recompensed."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#220 Post by kalstone »

Discomfited by the sores, Irakas hastily adds, "Umm ... perhaps we should discuss the terms of the reward before freeing you. You know, ... uh ... due diligence and all."

Return to “Archive (The Temple of Chaos)”