CHAPTER ONE: Into the Temple

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: CHAPTER ONE: Into the Temple

#61 Post by ybn1197 »

Sitrus moves into the chamber with the others, not intent on the statue but more intent on the walls and seeing if there is another way out than the doorway they all just entered through.

Toross will head back down the corridor they just entered through and see if there are any effects of them moving the levers.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Pulpatoon »

Norjax wrote:Symond reaches into the bowl to prod the ashes with his dagger. His hand immediately begins to burn and he drops his dagger and withdraws his hand. Make a Reflex save on 1d20. You must roll 16 or above.

[1d20] = 19 !!!

Symond sucks his burnt hand and looks spitefully at the bowl. "I was being careful, I thought. I mean, I didn't just stick my whole hand in."

Is Symond's dagger still in the bowl? Did the dagger heat up? Was the air hot around the bowl?

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Norjax »

Kid pulls the well-used lever to the left as Toldren looks on. Sounds of mechanical clacking and grinding emanate from a point behind the alcove. Toros hears a scraping sound from around the corner of the 5 ft hallway, in the direction of the secret door. He rounds the corner just in time to see the rotating door close to its original position.

Confident that no one will be hurt, Kid pulls the right lever. More mechanical actuation occurs, and Timmy, searching for secret doors and panels, is slightly startled by the barrel-smashing block sliding back into the west wall and revealing daylight coming from the entrance.

---

Symond quickly removes his hand from inside the edge of the bowl and reels from the searing, burning pain he felt after his hand crossed the edge of the bowl.

The bowl is 3 ft. in diameter, so your hand crossed the rim in order to prod the ashes with your dagger.

The dagger was also burning hot when you dropped it. The heat seemed to originate inside your hand. You cannot see your dagger anywhere, but there is an amount of different colored ash vaguely shaped like a dagger…

---

Sir Hanout tosses his kerchief into the bowl, careful not to cross the threshold of the rim, and it vaporizes into ash once it enters the bowl!

---

Beefheart decides not to try and blow the ashes upon witnessing the unholy transformation of the silk cravat. He moves over to the levers and watches Kid pull them.

---

Quill considers pouring water into the bowl, but then realizes only three have waterskins and this would not be enough to overflow the bowl.

---

Miss Cloe taps the floor with her crowbar and, satisfied with the results, enters the altar room followed by Schlovell and Sitrus. Myles peers inside trying to look around the three.

Miss Cloe, roll 1d6.

Actions?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by coil23 »

Quill loses all curiosity about the offering bowl when he sees the dramatic vaporization. The elf will follow the others into the altar room.

Toldren inspects the alcove itself, the ceiling above it, and the bowl's pedestal (from where he stands in front of the bowl, not crossing to be in the alcove or touching the bowl) for any sign of what may be happening with the bowl or perhaps a secret compartment.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Pulpatoon »

Symond carefully counts his fingers, doublechecking his results. "It... it burnt my dagger! To ashes!"

Looking around and seeing that the party is moving o from the bowl, he says, mostly to himself, "Keep this in mind if we need to dispose of anything in a hurry."

Foul Ol' Amphelice crouches at the entrance to the statue's room, waiting to see what happens to those who have entered it already.

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#66 Post by Griffith »

Schlovell moves 10 feet forward and 10 feet to the left to allow space for others to enter the chamber. "Myles, please bring your lantern here so we can see what's going on. Or Toldren bring a torch..."

Sir Hanout Longpepper
watches as his ascot dematerializes. "Hmmm, I wonder if there was some, as yet unseen, benefit to that offering? Or do we need to offer something more valuable? Or does the bowl serve some other purpose?"

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Norjax »

Miss Cloe is the first to enter the chamber. As she enters the room, a 6ft. snake (of sorts) drops onto her shoulders from an ambush position near the ceiling. The snake wraps itself around the fortune-teller’s neck and squeezes around it for 2 points of damage.

The monster has surprise and gets a free attack.

Surprise = [1d6] = 1

Demon Snake = [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21

Miss Cloe's AC is 11, so the monster needs to roll an 11 or above to hit.

Constriction Damage = [1d4] = 2

Initiative and actions!

For initiative, all characters roll 1d20 plus or minus the Initiative modifier.

With the snake wrapped around her neck, be mindful of your attacks. Holding a weapon against the snake and cutting it will work; striking with a sword or bludgeon weapon will not.

Map:

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by kalstone »

Having only a club, Myles will call for help and move aside while holding the lamp for illumination.

Irakas will attempt to hold his short sword against the snake and slice it. "Snake! Kill it! Kill it!" he shrieks in a high pitched voice.

Initiative: [1d20-1] = 2-1 = 1

To hit: [1d20+1] = 20+1 = 21

If I'm reading the rules correctly, I should roll 1d4 on the crit table?

Critical Hit: [1d4] = 4

Strike to foe's kneecap. Not sure that would apply in this situation, so I go to the next lower applicable result?

Stunning crack to the forehead. Inflict +1d3 damage with this strike, and the foe falls to the bottom of the initiative count next round.

Damage: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 Crit: [1d3] = 1

If any of this is wrong, let me know and I can revise it.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Starbeard »

Kid Crimson shouts, "Let me at 'em! Don't hold me back, don't hold me back," and rushes past those standing between him and the snake (of sorts). He takes out years of pent up anger on the thing with his crowbar.

(I'm assuming he can make it there and attack, with his move of 30')

K.C. Init've [1d20-1] = 11-1 = 10, Crowbar [1d20-1] = 8-1 = 7, Damage [1d4-1] = 4-1 = 3

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by ybn1197 »

Toross returns to the lever room intent on informing Kid that the first lever closed the secret door.

Sitrus tries to use his shovel to pry the snake off of Miss Cleo.

Initiative for Sitrus: [1d20-1] = 4-1 = 3

To hit: [1d20-1] = 16-1 = 15 Damage: [1d4-1] = 2-1 = 1

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Pulpatoon »

Symond calls out, "Clear some space so folks with sharp weapons can reach her! Or... Miss Cleo, come towards me! We can force the snake's head into the burning bowl!"

Griffith
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#72 Post by Griffith »

Schlovell will try to grapple the demon-snake and help force it into the bowl.
Schlovell Initiative [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2

Sir Hanout will try to stab it with his sword being careful not to hit Miss Cleo.
Hanout Initiative [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by coil23 »

Toldren will rush over to help once the shriek rings out. He holds his short sword against the snake and starts to saw.

initiative [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14
to hit [1d20] = 20
damage [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5
crit roll [1d4] = 3
crit result = Stunning crack to forehead. Inflict +1d3 dam- age with this strike, and the foe falls to the bot- tom of the initiative count next round.

It may be too far away to get her safely to the bowl. If we get her on the ground here we can hack the thing against the stone floor with more force.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by coil23 »

crit damage [1d3] = 2

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#75 Post by OGRE MAGE »

sorry for my delay

Miss Cloe should have seen this coming......

She twists and turns as the others all poke at her neck with sharp objects. She concentrates deeply, wondering if her time is now up. She tries to jam her own dagger into a spot on the snake that might not also jam her body.

Initiative [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2 some psychic powers she has :D

Attack [1d20] = 15

Dagger Damage [1d4-1] = 2-1 = 1

Timmy hears the noise from the rock sliding again and almost jumps out of his boots. Hearing the commotion from the other room, the young man rushes over to see what is happening.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Norjax »

Demon Snake Initiative = [1d20+3] = 2+3 = 5

The characters have won the initiative (Toldren = 14).

Irakas holds his sword against the snake’s body (AC13) and rocks the blade back and forth into its scales, scoring a critical hit for 5 points of damage.

---

Kid comes forth with his crowbar, swinging wildly at the constricting snake. He cannot connect for a strike due to Miss Cloe spinning and trying to remove the attacker.

---

Sitrus jabs his shovel between Miss Cloe’s back and the body of the snake. Prying, he inflicts a point of damage to the serpent.

---

Toros heads back down the hallway towards the commotion.

---

Symond calls out and suggests placing the snake’s head into the burning bowl.

---

Schlovell and Sir Hanout approach Miss Cloe and try to assist.

---

Toldren enters the fray and saws with his sword, cutting the ophidian’s body for a critical 7 points of damage.

---

Miss Cloe jabs at the coiled vermin for 1 point of damage, releasing the beast from her neck.

---

The snake goes limp and its body bursts open as it falls to the floor. A sickly green string of light exits the body and dissipates against the stone. The snake appears to be dead.

---

Timmy rushes over to the room and observes the battle.

Actions?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Starbeard »

Kid Crimson uses his crowbar to dig through the snake's opened body, with a determination that suggests he already knows what he's looking for.

Beefheart, seeing that the way is clear, walks into the altar chamber and looks behind the tapestries.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Pulpatoon »

Symond Berry: "I don't like that those lights drained out of it like that. We may encounter them again, perhaps wearing a nastier form."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#79 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Miss Cleo drops to her knees coughing and wheezing, glad to somehow still be alive. She is shocked to see the snake emit the green light, never being a big fan of serpents in the first place.

"Why da green light? It's unnatural I say! I've neva seen any ting like it!"

The woman gets up and looks around some more, rubbing her neck and thanking everyone who helped save her from what she thought would be certain death.

Timmy rushes into the room and sees what has just transpired. He immediately looks up, checking out the area where the snake dropped from and all along the rest of the ceiling as well.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#80 Post by coil23 »

Quill, wide-eyed at the scene that just transpired stammers, perhaps we should follow Symond's advice and put it in the burning bowl just to be sure?

Toldren carefully scans the ceiling of the room and uses the light to make sure they can see in all nooks and crannies of the room. No more surprises, he mutters.

Return to “Archive (The Temple of Chaos)”