Emu's Waterfront Pub (OOC)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Emu's Waterfront Pub (OOC)

#1 Post by Starbeard »

The most popular pub in Antharia!

Emu's features three Frobozz Mage-O-Vision™ crystal balls, each broadcasting the day's Shark Wrestling matches live from Antharia Stadium. Now a proud official server of Flathead Beer™.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Emu's Waterfront Pub (OOC)

#2 Post by Pulpatoon »

Could you pass along the campaign number?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Starbeard »

I've just posted it to the Character Creation thread. It's 550.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#4 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Hey, Starbeard, I've posted up rolls for two characters, Digsby Mudfoot and an unknown backup character. I've started on the process for Digsby but I thought I'd leave him as is and let you look things over before I go further. The war-shovel is based upon our brief discussion from earlier and the cost was extrapolated from the free guide cost for the trident which has the same damage code.

ETA - Starbeard, did you want us to roll an additional stat to power spells such as Wiz/Pow/Mana or did you want to run the 5th ed. standard that Strength powers spells and decreases as they are cast?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Starbeard »

That's a good question. The free rulebook doesn't have the extra Mana/Power stat. You have to spend Strength to cast spells. I hadn't thought about it, but that would mean that we have to recalculate Strength Adds every time spells are cast.

Here's my solution: I'll be keeping track of Strength scores at the bottom of each GM post anyway. For combat rolls, players just roll their dice and Weapon Adds, and I'll figure in the Stat Adds when I total up the combat rolls.

I'll put this in the Rules FAQ once I get that up. But for now, everyone remember: When you make combat rolls, don't add any of your ability scores to the Adds. Because of the pbp format, it'll be easier if I keep track of those at the bottom of the post and add them to the totals as needed.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#6 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Quick note, Starbeard: I see that you've added a list of Acronyms and one of them is TARO. Since TARO is normally only used as part of the Attribute rolls how can we see if the die roller actually rolled triples? For Example, I have a couple of rolls totalling 12. That could have been accomplished by 4+4+4 which would qualify for TARO and a second roll of 3D6, all of which would then be added together for a truly outstanding attribute. Since the Dice Roller only gives you the final result is there anyway to determine the actual numbers contributing to the total?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Starbeard »

Great Scott, you're right! :shock:

It never occurred to me that the dice roller only gives the total and not the individual results for each die. This may be a problem for T&T. The only way around it I can see is to roll each die individually when we need to use the 'roll over' rule (e.g., roll "[1d6] [1d6] [1d6]" instead of "[3d6]").

Everyone: What Clockwork is referring to is a rule that's explained more fully in the main rulebook, where if you roll doubles ('DARO'), triples ('TARO'), or 'all dice in the roll are the same' (the unofficial 'ASTRO'), then you roll again and add it all up. For example, saving throws are made on 2D6 plus an attribute (usually Luck), 'DARO'. So if I were to ask you to make a Luck Save, and your Luck is 12, you would have to roll something like this:

"Luck Save (LK 12): [1d6] [1d6]" -- As long as you keep rolling doubles, just keep rolling again and we'll add up the total.

In many versions of T&T, rolling for ability scores uses the TARO rule: if you roll triples on your ability score, you get to roll again and add it all up! That's right, your random starting PC could have a Strength of 30 right off the bat! However, we won't use that for this game, since it's not a part of the Quick Rules. Everyone will have attributes of 3-18, rolled on 3D6, just like it says in the Quickstart.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Starbeard »

The basic game setting and background is up!

viewtopic.php?f=482&t=6503

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Pulpatoon »

Not that the Quick-start rules are particularly long or dense, but, for my own reference, I made a two-page summary. I hope it's useful/accurate!

Tunnels & Trolls Cheater

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Starbeard »

This is brilliant, Pulpatoon! Your summary looks spot on with what I have so far. This document ought to be official.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

Pulpatoon wrote:Not that the Quick-start rules are particularly long or dense, but, for my own reference, I made a two-page summary. I hope it's useful/accurate!

Tunnels & Trolls Cheater
Alright, I've read through the cheat sheet again fully, and I really like it. Having a place at the top to calculate your character stats is wonderful. It makes it a character sheet and a cheat sheet all in one!

There is only one place I've found that I think could use more clarification. I think this is actually an oversight in the Quick-start rules, not your cheat sheet.

In the page on missile combat in the full 5th edition rulebook, it's clearly stated that you use all of your normal Personal Combat Adds (ST, LK and DEX), but vaguely implies that this happens in the 'hit point' roll (I say vaguely because it doesn't state it outright, and I can't find a combat example where it specifically goes through a successful missile attack). The Quick-start rules only say, rather cryptically, to double your DEX adds.

Anyway, this is what the 5th edition missile combat procedure should look like (those of you from the TrollBridge who are more familiar with 5th edition, please feel free to correct me if I have this wrong):

1. Make a DEX Saving Roll to hit.
2. If you hit, roll your weapon + adds just like normal combat, but i) double your DEX adds for this purpose, and ii) the opponent doesn't get to roll hit points back (i.e., it's assumed to have rolled "0" hit points).

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Pulpatoon »

Starbeard wrote: 1. Make a DEX Saving Roll to hit.
2. If you hit, roll your weapon + adds just like normal combat, but i) double your DEX adds for this purpose, and ii) the opponent doesn't get to roll hit points back (i.e., it's assumed to have rolled "0" hit points).
That was the impression that I got from the quick start rules, too. And I can see that The Cheater isn't clear. I'll edit and update it!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Starbeard »

I'm probably suffering from over thinking the rules as written, since it took me several reads and test combats before I finally had to pull out the main rulebook to recall what it said about Missile Combat. I kept thinking that the Quick rules were telling me to use the DEX adds in the Save Roll. The way the rules are written, I think I'm reading into them when I should just be reading them.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Pulpatoon »

How's this?
Ranged Attacks: DEX Saving Roll to hit vs. Ranged Attack Target Number. (and then there's a table on the side providing these numbers)

Success: Weapon + Adds (DEX Adds are doubled) – target’s armor = hit point total

The target cannot defend against a ranged attack. At pointblank range, the target gets a free melee attack on the ranged attacker.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Starbeard »

That's look perfect to me! I'm amazed at how succinctly the T&T rules can be distilled into such bitesized elements.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Pulpatoon »

So far, having not played the game, yet, I'm really enjoying the T&T rules. They're simple—once you get your mind out of the D&D grove, unapologetically game-y (exploding dice on doubles!), and, well, those spell names.

It's shame PbP loses the fist-full-of-dice aspect, as that seems immensely satisfying.

How pared down are the quick-start rules compared to the full edition?

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by Khaboom »

No that I want to be a back seat GM but! I've run T&T games for more years than I care to recall, using 5.5, 7.5, deluxe and house rule versions.

Happy to help out on any rules if it's ever useful (i learnt from KSA himself!).

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Starbeard »

Khaboom wrote:No that I want to be a back seat GM but! I've run T&T games for more years than I care to recall, using 5.5, 7.5, deluxe and house rule versions.

Happy to help out on any rules if it's ever useful (i learnt from KSA himself!).
It's awesome to have you hear, Khaboom. I'm only familiar with 1, 4 and 5.5 (and I'm only familiar with 1 and 4 because they're so short!), and in all cases only through playing solitaire. As we play, I'm sure all of us will have loads of questions for you about Ken's game!

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Pulpatoon »

That's quite the T&T pedigree!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Starbeard »

Pulpatoon wrote:How pared down are the quick-start rules compared to the full edition?
I'm at work right now so the rulebook isn't in front of me, but I believe about 75% of what you get in the Quick-start are in fact the full rules without compromise. The rulebook is probably somewhere around a standard 128-page paperback, but a significant portion of that is given over to fluff: articles detailing Ken's campaign setting and his house rules, the Buffalo Castle solo dungeon, advice for GMs specific to using the systems in T&T, etc.

The meat of the book is generally padded out with numerous examples and diatribes that are often longer than the rules they are describing. There are also scores of optional rules, like the TARO rule in character creation or the Berserk and Spite Damage rules in combat (I think we'll use those in this game, actually). The rulebook is littered with examples of popular house rules and variant rules from previous editions, and all are presented as options with a bit of commentary on their pros and cons. The equipment lists, spells lists and treasure tables are also greatly expanded.

In general, I'd say that the Quick-start is in some ways like using the Basic half only of B/X D&D, but in more important ways it's like using OSRIC instead of reading through PHB and DMG. The full rules add to—but don't really supercede—much of what's in the Quick-start, but what you are missing out on are the many pages of T&T game philosophy.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”