2. The First Delve

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Adventure Begins

#341 Post by Starbeard »

Doughty's Level 1 Saving Roll (needs 20+):
LK save (modified by DX): [1d6] = 2+[1d6] = 3+7+3

Doughty edges up to the table and tries to go through the parchments without drawing attention to himself, but the demon notices. "Oh don't bother. Most of those are just recipes and shopping lists. The only thing in that stack worth taking would drive you mad if you tried to read it. I like your initiative, though."

"So what's the plan?" croaks Spindlethrash. "Back to the surface?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#342 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty blushes at getting caught. I just thought... Did you say recipes!? I have some great ones here. Maybe we could trade a few? Noting Spindle's words, Doughty shrugs. Right. Later. After we rest and rescue your brother.

Back to the surface is fine with Doughty.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#343 Post by coffee »

OOC: Do we need to go back to the surface? How are we all doing, healthwise, etc.?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by Starbeard »

Doughty and Weeba both are down to 6 hits (out of 16 and 10), and Spindlethrash is at 18/32. Everyone else is at full. I think all accessible instant healing sources have been exhausted for the day, so it's just back to the default +1 hit per overnight sleep.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#345 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Unless the fire demon has something up his flaming sleeve. ;)

coffee
Scout
Scout

#346 Post by coffee »

Okay, if we want to go back to the surface to get all healed up, that's fine. Then we come back and get on with the job.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty nods. Let's go up and rest. Try to avoid that troll, though...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 2: The First Delve

#348 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Evening (turn 14)

In six minutes you retrace your steps back to the main staircase, slowing your pace only near unexplored doors and passages. Another few minutes of exhausting ascent up the dank stairwell, you reach the landing beneath the white house's living room. Skinklob the dwarven wizard, minding his own business on the patio, comes in to investigate the commotion and helps you out of the trap door and into the living room.

Everyone receives 1,000 adventuring points for delving into the 1st level and returning alive. That's enough for raise everyone up to Level 2!
Tunnels & Trolls Quickstart, page 6 wrote:Once a character has garnered enough points to pass up to a new level he can modify one of his "prime attributes". Below are the options he may use to modify his attributes.
  1. Add the new level number to either ST or CON, or 1/2 of level number to both.
  2. Add 1/2 the number to IQ or DEX or CHR (exclusive, not inclusive).
  3. Add 2x the number to Luck.
All fractions round down.
Skinklob already has a modest fire going in the fireplace, and after latching up the trap door you squat in the house for the night, peacefully undisturbed by trolls, magic foxes, or creepy dungeon dwellers (everyone heals 1 CON). Skinklob notices that Garrick the Fortunate is not with the party, lost somewhere on the first level of the dungeon below.

"Well then, shall we bein' restin' here until we're all healed up, or take the day-and-a-jaunt trek back to the H.M.S. Doubledeal?" asks Skinklob.

Light sources (all snuffed out): Weeba's lantern (used 8 turns), Doughty's torch (used 7 turns)

Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 7/16
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 7/10 — elven sword 4+4, light bow & 20 arrows 2+0

NPCs
Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11, poniard 2+0, leather
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20/20 — war shovel 4+3, leather
Skinklob Nurl, Dwarven Dealer in Back Alley Hexes (Wiz, ST 12 LK 7 DEX 13 — Adds: -1/+0) CON: 12/12 — Dagger 2+5
Spindlethrash, Halfling Ne'er-do-well (War, ST 5 LK 13 DEX 18 — Adds: +3/+9) CON: 19/32 — falchion 4+4

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 2. The First Delve

#349 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sheesh. Looking over those stats, it is apparent Doughty is the weak link here. :( I think Doughty can make the most use of adding 4 to his Luck score, bringing it up to 11.

Will we be accompanied by Spindlethrash and Skinklob down there? Will you be opening the recruiting thread? Should we make second characters to head down there with?

Doughty makes himself at home, setting himself up in the kitchen, providing fine food for the group. As they eat, he offers a recap of everything they've seen so far. It's mighty dangerous down there, ain't it? The orcs were bad 'nough, but the there was that ghoul, and then the demon!

Say Skinklob, ol' chap? Any chance I can convince you to teach me one of your cantrips?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#350 Post by Starbeard »

I believe we're closing the game here, but yes, I think dumping everything into Luck would be a good choice. The majority of saving rolls are made against Luck, and personal combat adds are just adding up your Strength, Dexterity and Luck bonus. So you basically get double the boost from dumping all of your level gains straight into Luck.

However, now that I've played through a few more solo modules, I've noticed that Luck as a very volatile stat. It seems to go up and down several times throughout a typical module, so I think the intention is that I should have been freely giving and taking away points in Luck throughout our game.

So, focusing entirely on building Luck is a good short term tactic, but building up the less volatile characteristics for a more well-rounded PC seems best for long term goals.

And yes, the retired PCs would have be available for hire as NPC retainers. :D

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by Starbeard »

Days 2 & 3

The night is spent in the cozy confines of the nondescript white house. In the middle of a series of great, lumbering footsteps can be heard outside, pacing back and forth around the building before stepping onto the patio. The floorboards of the patio groan and creak under the weight of the huge creature. The party remains deathly still as the creature knocks politely on the door several times with huge hands, before stalking away back into the night when the knocks go unanswered.

With the comfort of dawn you gather up your goods and strike out for the shore with one of Doughty's makeshift meals hot in your bellies. The dirt in front of the house is strewn with great troll tracks, leading back through the small field in the direction of the unusually shaped hills, far off to the southwest. You avoid that path, and skirt the south edge of the forest for the day, before camping under the stars in another range of hills, making sure to keep the campfire roaring all night to keep the terrible grues away.

The next morning is a wash, since you got little sleep and are less than a half-day's journey from the bay. Finding the convenient little track that cuts through the hills, you leave the impressionably large forest behind you and come to the H.B.M.S. Doubledeal, where Captain Sprunkle eagerly awaits the reports of its contracted adventurers.

Handing him your 10% trade agreement with J.J., F.F. and W.W., Proprietors, your anecdotes about the miracles of the Rat-on-a-Stick franchise, and Doughty's samplings of local spices, Captain Sprunkle beams with delight. "Well done, lads! The Frobozz Magic Construction Company and the Frobozz Granola Company send you their profoundest gratitude—or, at least they will when you return to Frobozz Headquarters in Quender to receive your payments for services rendered."

The Captain once again brings everyone in for a big, teary-eyed group hug, after visually confirming that you all still have your limbs. He shies away from including Spindlethrash until one of his conscientious lieutenants places a robe around the halfling's hirsute and naked body. "Imagine, delving into magic tunnels, the likes of which no civilized person has ever seen, and even returning to tell the tale, just like that! I do envy you land-lubbing rapscallions. Well, I had better get back to it, time to start hauling off this granola. I'm afraid we can't spare the manpower, so you'll have to carry these six thousand Frobits of granola back to the dungeon by yourselves." You stare at the thirty-seven large crates of granola stacked on the deck of the Doubledeal, and wonder how you'll accomplish the task.

Well, I think that settles it. Consider this a successful foray into the dungeon of George R. Paczolt's "Rat On A Stick"!

Thanks for playing, everyone.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”