2. The First Delve

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

Re: The Adventure Begins

#21 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby hears the twang of the crossbow and the hiss of the quarrels as they streak through the air at the unsuspecting delvers. Time suddenly seems to flow like molasses as the halfling throws himself into Biddle to escape the path of the baleful barbs.

(DEX SR): (15)+[1d6] = 4+[1d6] = 5 (+3 per above post) => 27!

(LCK SR): (12)+[1d6] = 6+[1d6] = 1=>19 to knock Biddle out of the way...

jiggidy
Squire
Squire

#22 Post by jiggidy »

Seeing the party of adventurers ducking, diving, and absorbing arrows, Garrick the Fortunate pauses at the last few steps, leaning on his quarterstaff.

"I must be at the wrong place," the old elf says. "My assignment was to help a group of adventurers investigate some tunnels, lending my expertise while searching for historical artifacts to bring back to the Guild. I don't believe I was warned about flying dangerous projectiles!"

Looking over his half-moon glasses at a scrap of paper, he says, "Are Wizard's Guild members...uh...Biddle?....and...how do you say this one?...Skinklob?...in your company?"

The wizard seems relatively calm in spit of the obvious danger and sudden activity.

Hello everyone! I'm assuming Garrick will not be in immediate danger from the crossbow bolts.
Last edited by jiggidy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#23 Post by Khaboom »

Yup - I'm a fully paid up member - do you happen to know any healing spells?!?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Midday (still turn 14)

Weeba takes 5 hits to his CON, and gains 22 x SL2 = 44 xp

Digsby begins to zig, thinks better of it and changes into a zag; the delay is a costly one, and he is struck by the bolt!
(It's a LK save (12) + DX 'add' modifier (3), so his save roll is actually 2d6 = 9 + 12 + 3 = 24, just shy of success).

The bolt bounces off of his cuirass harmlessly, and with a shout he dives toward Biddle, attempting to knock him out of harm's way. He is not quite fast enough, however, and the wizard himself is struck.

(Digsby takes 5 hits, but 50% chance of armor soak: [1d100] = 8 his armor soaks it up; he also gains 48 xp).

As the bolt sinks into his arm Biddle appeases the Trollgod, who briefly appears before him as though in a vision. "I'm terribly sorry, Wizard," the Trollgod says, "but unfortunately there's no luck getting out of this one. You see, the crossbow was sighted to shoot one quarrel down the middle and two off to the sides just shy of the door frame, where any supporting adventurers might be tucked away. Like I said, terribly sorry!" The Trollgod laughs maniacally as the vision fades.

(Biddle takes 5 hits to his CON, and gains 40 xp).

The wizard elf Garrick witnesses the uncoordinated mess and then reticently introduces himself to the sprawled pile of wounded adventurers. Biddle identifies himself from the floor, but Skinklob is not present. He is reminded of their meeting upstairs as Skinklob was making his way back to the ship (see private message).

Actions? (more Sunday)

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 6/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 5/10

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#25 Post by Khaboom »

It's been a beautiful life, friends, and you've always stodd by me. The cookie crumbled and I fell.
Think kindly of me as I pass over. I am dead, aren't I?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty hurries over to the pair on the floor. I daresay, not. But what luck that is that you found three crossbows! They'll come in handy once we get the bolts out of you and cleaned up. He smiles warmly at the elf and makes an introduction before carefully peering into the tunnel to see if the crossbows are portable. If it looks safe, Doughty will carefully walk into the tunnel and try and decipher how long the crossbows have been there, strung and ready to fire.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#27 Post by Khaboom »

Biddle gets up and walks over to greet the elf too, conspicuously dripping blood as he goes. It is clear that he is not at all comfortable at the sight of his own blood.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#28 Post by coffee »

"Any of you magical types have any healing spells on you?" Weeba asks.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#29 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby picks himself up and dusts himself off and takes stock of the situation. Seeing Biddle leaving a trail of blood as he shuffles over to greet the newcomer, the gardener digs out a rolled bandage from his recently acquired provisioning and heads in that direction. Digsby keeps his head on a swivel knowing that just because one trap was triggered doesn’t mean there isn't another waiting it's turn - or worse, a delayed release which they'd already triggered.

Reaching the two wizards, "Let's take a look at that, Biddle. Last thing we need is you passing out from blood loss."

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#30 Post by Khaboom »

Thanks, I really appreciate that - never been any good with my own blood. Let's lie flat next time we open a door! I shall be writing to the Wizards' Guild letting them know in no uncertain terms that a healing spell at L1 would be a big step forward towards a civilised society!

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#31 Post by Khaboom »

As the lack of healing can be a problem, I sometimes allow players to take a magical first aid talent based on WIZ, doing a point of healing per level of SR made for a WIZ cost of 2 per point - ah, but talents and WIZ are both 7.5 not 5.5 !

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Midday (turn 15)

Digsby binds up Biddle's wound with the bandage, trying his best not to cause too much discomfort.
(Please make a LK or IN SL1, your choice; success means Biddle heals 1d of hits).

Doughty peers into the trapped room and finds it empty except for the offending contraption. Tiptoeing inside he discovers that it is not a trio of crossbows at all, but a single heavy crossbow with three flight grooves and three sets of limbs, all adjustable through a complex network of screws and cogs. It is affixed to a massive tripod, and a bore sight is set into the side of the machine to allow for precise calculated aiming. A small pouch of replacement bolts dangles from a string tied to the tripod. The whole piece must weigh a sixty or eighty pounds. The room is dusty but does not look abandoned; it's entirely possible that someone has been inside recently, within the last few days or weeks.

Actions? (more Tuesday evening GMT)

I'm inclined to keep the healing closer to 'by the book', relying mostly on the traditional use of potions and spells, and the often overlooked option of simply returning to the ship and coming back after being healed up. That being said, I am happy to allow simple first aid attempts like what Digsby is performing, on a case by case basis.

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 6/11
Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 4/16
Garrick the Fortunate, Elven Archaeologist (Wiz, ST 7 LK 17 DEX 12 — Adds: +3/+3) CON: 9/9
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 5/10

coffee
Scout
Scout

#33 Post by coffee »

In that case, Weeba will bandage his own wound.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Starbeard »

Go ahead and give it a shot. 1st level Saving Roll (20+) using either Luck or Intelligence, whichever is higher. You'll get one attempt to bandage wounds during a dungeon outing.

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#35 Post by Khaboom »

Gosh, Digsby, that feels good - you have such a soothing touch. Do you do much of this sort of work?

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#36 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

"During the Great Dire Weasel Incursion there was ample opportunity to learn how to bind wounds," the halfling answers Biddle. Digsby's face clouds over for a moment, "Those were dark days." He finishes tying off the bandage and tucks the ends under, "That should hold you for now though the I'm sure the ship's chirurgeon could do more with the supplies at their disposal."

(LCK SR): (12)+[1d6] = 3+[1d6] = 4 => 19 ::Aarrgghhhh::

Khaboom
Tracker
Tracker

#37 Post by Khaboom »

That was my nose you just squeezed!

coffee
Scout
Scout

#38 Post by coffee »

Starbeard wrote:Go ahead and give it a shot. 1st level Saving Roll (20+) using either Luck or Intelligence, whichever is higher. You'll get one attempt to bandage wounds during a dungeon outing.
Save (Luck) [1d6] = 4 + [1d6] = 6 + 10

So, that's 20 exactly.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Starbeard »

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty checks the walls around the heavy death-contraption for any loose stones, etc. If nothing is found, he gathers p all the ammunition for the crossbow and leaves the room with it.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”