2. The First Delve

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

Re: The Adventure Begins

#321 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby peeks out of the room and down the hall. "Not sure," he replies to Doughty, "I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when we entered this room but I can't say it seems any brighter or closer now." Looking over his shoulder to Weeba, "Won't know if it profits us until we meet them. Might not be a bad idea to scout the situation, though. Forewarned is forearmed and all that." Glancing back at the dim glow he hefts his shovel in one hand. Turning an appraising look upon his compatriots, "I'll go take a look, I'm less banged up than everyone else. If there's no obvious danger I'll come back and we can all go take a look. If it's otherwise, I would council a stealthy retreat to tend to our wounds and rest up for the night. This complex isn't going anywhere."

If there are no objections, Digsby stealths his way down the hall, the dim glow ahead his guide and destination.

Edit to add -
DEX SR to stealth down the hall:
(DEX SR): (15)+[1d6] = 2+[1d6] = 3 => 20! Lvl1SR on DEX achieved!

Not sure the DEX SR was needed but thought I'd toss it in just in case.

coffee
Scout
Scout

#322 Post by coffee »

Weeba will keep an eye on him as he goes.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#323 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty will spend the time searching the room he is currently in for secret doors or complements.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#324 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Evening (still turn 12)

Digsby sneaks down the hall as quietly as his sod ridden feet can muster, with Weeba guardedly watching him disappear into the shadow of darkness. The plucky hobb passes an intersection, too dark to see down, then creeps farther along toward the source of the light at the end of the corridor.

Carefully, Digsby peeks around the corner and nearly gives himself away with a gulp! The corridor opens into the charred and mangled remains of some macabre demonologist's study, strewn with all manner of pentagon-themed memorabilia and torture devices. At the very center stands a demon about the size of a human, wreathed in brilliant flame, looking like it was just startled awake as is still getting its bearings. With a fiendish "Humph!" it moves into the corridor, muttering grumpily to itself in some arcane language that is quite harsh on the ears.

Meanwhile, back in the meeting hall, Doughty scours the place for points and objects of interest, and comes up empty handed. He notes several cupboards small enough to hide a hobb or a dwarf, and one large enough to hide human—otherwise, the place is devoid of notable features.

Actions?

Frobozz Magic Map: https://campaignwiki.org/gridmapper.svg ... %26T%20PBP

Light sources: Weeba's lantern (lit 6 turns), Doughty's torch (lit 5 turns)

Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20/20 — war shovel 4+3, leather
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 6/16
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 6/10 — elven sword 4+4, light bow & 20 arrows 2+0

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11, poniard 2+0, leather
Spindlethrash, Halfling Ne'er-do-well (War, ST 5 LK 13 DEX 18 — Adds: +3/+9) CON: 18/32 — falchion 4+4

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#325 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Upon seeing such a macbre setting populated with an annoyed - and flaming - creature, Digsby swallows an, "Ulp!" and high-tails it - quietly! - back to the crossing corridor and quickly turns into the left hand path of darkness. The halfling retreats about ten feet back into the gloom, turns and crouches against the right hand wall, shovel at the ready. He glances at the small ruby ring on his right-pinky, "Trollish-One," he whispers, "I could use some insight here if you have any to offer."

(DEX SR): (15)+[1d6] = 6+[1d6] = 1 => 22 L1SR Dex Reached!
(LCK SR): (12)+[1d6] = 4+[1d6] = 5 => 21 L1SR Luk Reached!

Wasn't sure but thought I'd toss in a couple of saving rolls. Dex to move quietly and Luck to remain unnoticed.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry folks, I had intended on picking up the pace of posting here a bit, but that fell through after catching a pretty nasty bug and being sick for the last week. Hopefully I'll be able to pick things up a little after I'm better.

Digsby gulps at the sight of the flame demon and turns tail, right back where he came from. His feet silently carry him across the stone floor, quietly enough that he's pretty sure the demon can't hear him. Slipping into the darkness of the side passage, his eyes adjust just enough to see a dead end a few feet ahead of him. He looks at his pinky ring and prays to the Troll God, but all he can hear is the pounding of his own heart, and the sizzling footsteps of the demon as it stalks down the corridor.

The demon moves into view, and stops at the intersection, rubbing its eyes and grumbling very irritably, in a way that oddly reminds Digsby of his grumpy uncle Cloddy Mudfoot, in the morning before he's had coffee. After an agonizing moment it stretches to its full height—maybe five and a half feet or so, a little less impressive than he expected—and begins to sniff the air suspciously. Digsby squeezes himself against the wall as best he can, praying to the Troll God that the demon not look his way.

The demon does not look. Its attention has been arrested by something down the hallway, and with an insidious 'Harumph!' it continues to stalk down the hallway toward Digsby's comrades.

(the two SL1s are both just what you needed, actually!).

Meanwhile, in the large meeting room, Weeba stands guard peering through the open doorway. He watches Digsby's silhouette silently duck into a side passage and disappear, as a flaming demon turns the corner and proceeds to stumble down the hall toward the party. Weeba is still far enough away that he might not be seen, but there's no hiding the partly open door itself.

Actions?

Digsby Mudfoot, Halfling Gardener (War, ST 7 LK 12 DEX 15 — Adds: +1/+4) CON: 20/20 — war shovel 4+3, leather
Doughty Doughball, Halfling Cook (Rog, ST 5 LK 7 DEX 15 — Adds: -3/+0) CON: 6/16
Weeba Zortz, Warrior in Triplet (War, ST 13 LK 10 DEX 17 — Adds: +6/+11) CON: 6/10 — elven sword 4+4, light bow & 20 arrows 2+0

Biddle Spratt, Hypnotist Extraordinaire (Wiz, ST 12/12 LK 14 DEX 10 — Adds: +2/+2) CON: 11/11, poniard 2+0, leather
Spindlethrash, Halfling Ne'er-do-well (War, ST 5 LK 13 DEX 18 — Adds: +3/+9) CON: 18/32 — falchion 4+4

coffee
Scout
Scout

#327 Post by coffee »

"Demon," Weeba mutters to the rest of the party, jerking his chin to indicate direction. "Stand or flee?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#328 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty freezes, wide eyed. He points to the cupboards but doesn't really believe the demon will be fooled. Did it eat Digz? I'd hate to leave him.

How far to get back to the troll altar room?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#329 Post by Starbeard »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Doughty freezes, wide eyed. He points to the cupboards but doesn't really believe the demon will be fooled. Did it eat Digz? I'd hate to leave him.

How far to get back to the troll altar room?
It's 170' down the hall, but 50' of that will be directly in view of the demon before you turn the corner.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#330 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Digsby slowly inches his way across to the other side of the dead-end hallway and sidles his way along the wall to peek around the corner. Peering down the hall he watches the flaming demon progress unhurriedly in the direction of his unsuspecting compatriots. The gardener considers his options, Well... I could throw the cleaver and hope it does enough damage, unlikely as that is... Distract it and lead it away... He looks around at the dead-end he's in now... Not a great idea... Though there is the unexplored passage across the hall... Digsby muses... I wonder if parlay is an option...? After all, we're here to find markets for the granola mines... Do demons like granola...? Hoping his friends are either hiding in the cabinets or keeping an eye on his back Digsby steps out with a rather audacious plan.

"Uh, excuse me, sir? So sorry to have disturbed your slumber. I've been wandering around down here for ages - got all sorts of turned around, you see. I was trying to find my way out, you see. I've established an agreement with the proprietor of Rat-on-a-Stick to supply them with granola but couldn't find the exit to setup the trade agreement with my distributors. Do you like granola?" Digsby holds out a sample of the sweet, golden goodness.

Troll God, here's hoping this works...!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#331 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Doughty was just about to jump into the cabinets when he hears Digsby's voice down the hallway. Fortune favors the bold, he whispers to Weeba. Doughty steps into the hallway and shouts, Digsby! Thank heav... Errr... What a luck to've found you! I was so worried! We've gotta get back up topside to get them granola orders in! Hey. Wait. Is that a new customer!? You aren't trying to cut the rest of us out of a deal, are you?

coffee
Scout
Scout

#332 Post by coffee »

Weeba moves up to Digsby and our "new customer".

"Everything okay up here, boss?" he asks, still eyeing the demon.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#333 Post by Starbeard »

The flame demon immolates furiously for a moment, just to show off. "Granola?! I am a demon, I have no taste for your pathetic granola. Blech." It makes a motion with its hand and produces a fiery whip out of thin air. "I was sleeping quite nicely, and for waking me you should all die—but right now I'm too tired to kill you and find it enjoyable."

He considers your grit for a minute, then makes a proposition. "I shall strike a bargain instead. A brother of mine, Explosio, was taken by our master Igor and imprisoned in the level below this one. Release him back to me and I will let you live. I might even reward you, if you beg convincingly enough. And don't bother trying to outwit me—once I've woken up a bit I will be in a better mood for killing, and now that I know your smell, I will know whenever you enter or leave this level of the dungeon." The demon smiles arrogantly.

Actions?

coffee
Scout
Scout

#334 Post by coffee »

"What's the quickest way we can get to your brother, m'lord?" Weeba asks.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#335 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

And, beggin' yer pardon sir, is there anything you can give us t' make sure yer brother don't do us in? Or something t' help your cause? We couldn't rightly help him if we're dead, could we? Doughty hopes the demon is feeling particularly generous.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#336 Post by Starbeard »

Day 1, Evening (turn 13)

The demon laughs heartily and little flecks of ash spray from his mouth to the floor. "Oh, he won't do you in, at least if manage to bind him to an adequate contract. He's been locked away down there for a long time, and the prospect of rescue will be enough to keep him to his word. We demons are gluttons for contracts, anyway."

"Come with me." The flame demon turns and expects you to follow him back into his room. Once there he hands you a map, burnt nearly to a crisp and only partially legible. "You'll have to excuse the quality, I don't handle parchment very well."

Level 1: https://campaignwiki.org/gridmapper.svg ... %26T%20PBP
Level 2:https://campaignwiki.org/gridmapper.svg?load=Starbeard%27s%20T%26T%20(Level%202)

"When you reach the level below, just follow the corridor straight along, and you should come to the prison. I don't think you'll have to worry about the wizard while you're down there, he's either dead or long since lost interest in us surface dwellers."

Light sources: Weeba's lantern (lit 7 turns), Doughty's torch (lit 6 turns)

coffee
Scout
Scout

#337 Post by coffee »

"All right," Weeba says, "let's be about our business." He bows to the demon and heads back the way the party came from.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#338 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Mr. Demon, sir, if it's all the same to you, we'll need to bed down a day or two to lick our wounds, as it were. We're in no shape to charge down a flight of steps yet. Maybe if we returned to the surface it'd be a might but safer. Or we could find a room down here...

What I'm getting at is, if you smell us a bit, some be too too angry we don't got your brother yet. We're on it, for certain.
Doughty can't help himself from looking around for things of value.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#339 Post by Starbeard »

"By all means take your time, we are immortal. But don't take too long, we happen to be impatient too."

Doughty scans the room for its notable accoutrements: a wardrobe, a cauldron, a torturer's vice, a magic circle inlaid into the floor, and a dishevelled wizard's workbench. Displayed prominently on the workbench is a loose stack of parchment, a large pipette full of ash, and a clear glass cruet full of tiny black pellets.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#340 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As the conversation progresses, Doughty edges over to the stack of parchment paper and flips through them, hoping he can find a scroll with a useful spell or two. Or more maps. Or a deed to a summer cottage on the ocean.

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”