Emu's Waterfront Pub (OOC)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Emu's Waterfront Pub (OOC)

#81 Post by Starbeard »

Yes, we can say each member of the party who started out on the boat has a sample of granola on his person, enough for one unit of rations.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I was getting excited to see if Doughty would survive losing an arm, and then figuring out how to play him.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Starbeard »

Never fear, you may have another chance! :D

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#84 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Moving the convo re: rolls over to the OOC thread instead of the game thread. Rusty, Coffee, can I help clarify anything?

I believe Starbeard intended us to roll our own combat rolls as well as saving rolls, at least, that's my takeaway from the House Rules & Clarifications thread. For combat rolls, each player rolls their weapons dice, totals the number and adds their combat adds (Derived from Str, Dex or Luk being greater than 12. One add for each point above 12). To determine the outcome of combat, all the players totals are added together and compared against their opponents total. The side with the smaller number takes the difference between the two totals in damage, subtracting armour protection first.

Saving rolls are made on an attribute versus a pre-determined level. The levels start at 20 and increase by 5
Level 120
Level 225
Level 330
Level 435
Level 540
Level XAnd so on...
To determine success, roll 2D6 with DARO (Doubles Add and Roll Over) then add your attribute. If the total exceeds the SR level you need, you've succeeded. For example, to make a L3SR on Luk you would roll 2D6 and hope for doubles, of any sort. A pair of ones is quite advantageous as you can keep your '2' and roll the dice again then add your new roll to the old roll. Then just add your Luck score to the dice total and compare it against Level 3, a.k.a. 30.

So, Digsby has a Luck of 12. I roll two dice and get: [1d6] = 3+[1d6] = 5. So, I have 8 and add Digsby's Luck of 12 and find a total of 20. Good enough for a L1SR on Luk but not for a L3. Now, if my roll had gone this way: [1d6] = 3+[1d6] = 3, then I have Doubles and could roll again: [1d6] =2 +[1d6] = 5, for a total of 7, plus my roll of 6 from earlier for a total roll of 13. Then I add my Luck of 12 for a grand total of 25. A L2 SR on Luck has been achieved but I'm still short the L3 we had been discussing.

There are minor differences amongst the editions (such as Spite in combat) but by and large, that's the core game mechanic.

Does that help at all, have I muddied the water or completely misconstrued what you were asking?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That helps a bit. It's just a funny mechanic, is all. At least when you are used to D&D, rolling one d20 to his and a d6 to damage, comparing it to an opponent's AC. Or Torchbearer/BW, rolling a number of d6 equal to your skill level vs an OB set by the GM.

It's just different, and because this game is moving slowly, I haven't had much chance to learn or retain it. Or the terminology.

I'm having fun though. It's just not intuitive seeming to me, is all. :)

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#86 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Ah, ok, I follow. You're right, the combat mechanic is a bit more abstract when compared to D&D. It's a difference in design philosophy. D&D grew out of miniatures rules, Chainmaille IIRC, and reflects much of the crunchy mechanic there. T&T was inspired by D&D with more of a storytellers approach to emphasize role-play rather than crunchiness. Neither one is better than the other and I've seen each pushed towards the other end of the spectrum by GMs and players. It's all in how you like your fantasy. If you're interested, the TrollBridge has a fanzine for T&T we publish which is freely available on DriveThruRPG. We just published issue 9. Each issue has a solo adventure in it if you'd like to play around with the mechanics.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Starbeard »

Yes Rusty, Clock has the gist of it.

It would be nice for players to make their own attack rolls where possible, but I won't sweat it if that doesn't happen, it just means I have to plug more rolls into the dice roller. Also, I may just go ahead and make the rolls myself if it saves time—for example, if I take the initiative to fastforward through another round of combat because the situation hasn't changed, or if the game is hanging on one character having to make a surprise Saving Roll before anything can move on.

The dice rolls can be cluttered and a bit difficult to read, since we really need to know what each individual die score is, while the US roller right now just gives the overall total. I'll do my best to make the dice rolling syntax more methodical in the future, so it's easier to follow along the dice rolls.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

COrrect me if I'm wrong, but seems that our dice rolls are really just 2d6 each time, adding dfferent things, right? If so, should we just use "[1d6], [1d6]," then reroll as appropriate - and then do all the other adding in the thread. It might unclutter the rolls/macros.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#89 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

I guess it depends on what you consider cluttered. For me, I have a separate macro for a saving roll on each ability and one for my melee weapon in combat. So, nine macros. I just find it's easier to set it up in the beginning, click the macro I need and then copy/paste the results into the thread. If I end up with doubles, I'll take the extra step to copy/paste twice.

As an example of a saving roll macro: (LCK SR): (12)+[1d6]+[1d6]

There's nothing saying you can't do it the way you describe, Rusty, It's just a different approach, is all.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That does look concise, and when I looked back, I already had something similar all set up, but had forgotten. :oops: (I did go change mine to streamline more like yours though.)

When I made that suggestion, I was thinking of if I needed to make a roll but didn't know which stat I was using. I suppose that would be rare though, and if I use the wrong stat, it's easy enough to extrapolate the actual value...

But maybe I need to stop thinking about it so much. :)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Starbeard »

Yeah, a saving roll macro for each ability, plus one for each basic attack, is a great approach.

The SRs will always be 2d6, Rusty, but depending on the weapon you use then you might be rolling more. For example, Weeba's fancy elf sword is 4+4 (which is T&T's way of writing 4D6+4), and he has +6 in personal adds, so his combat macros will have to be something like:

Elven sword 4+4: (6)+(4)+[1d6]+[1d6]+[1d6]+[1d6]

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry for the long delay, new post is up! Thanks for being patient.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

No worries. It's just that sort of game. ;)

Edit: I just read the update... :o too bad we burned those bodies... Did we ever find their packs, and if so, were there any rations worth taking? Because I'm thinking we should about fighting if we can. Throw some food against one wall and short around them, locking them in here while we escape through the butler's passage. (Doughty had 3 rations to use, depending on the other halflings' packs.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Starbeard »

You didn't see any packs with the dead hobbs. This room has been searched thoroughly, but in the dormitory only the wall portraits have been examined.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Anyone know the adds for a torch? I don't have access to the rules presently.

I'm also okay with Starbeard rolling for me to keep thing moving.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Starbeard »

Sorry again, back into looking for a job and it's taking away my sitting-at-the-computer-all-day time.

I don't have my full 5th edition book with me, and I don't see anything about torches as weapons in 1st, 4th or the free edition. So, I'll give them 2 dice, with the same bonus of getting to roll an extra attack because the rats fear the fire.

EDIT: I see the club & baton that Clockwork mentioned now. I agree, I think 3D6 in adds is just fine. The weapon may not be quite as sturdy as a club, but it is on fire after all.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Good luck with the job search Starbeard. What is it you're looking to do, if I may ask?

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#98 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Here's hoping your job quest goes quickly and your dice roll true.

ClockworkPoltergeist
Tracker
Tracker

#99 Post by ClockworkPoltergeist »

Heh... It's just clicked, we're fighting Rodents of Unusual Size. If things go well, we'll end up with Rats On A Stick.

ROUS > ROAS

Who knew?

Ok, yeah, my brain makes odd connections...

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Starbeard »

Astute observations! Rats on a Stick do seem to have a certain commercial viability in these parts.

Thanks for the pep talk. Ultimately I'm looking for another job teaching at a university, but considering the current state of the job market I'd be happy with just about anything!

Return to “The Great Underground Enterprise (T&T)”